PDA

View Full Version : Load Leveling shocks (Nivomat) info...

351Freak
03-09-2006, 11:39 AM
Didn't know exactly where to put this...a "suspension" category would be nice...

I've posted this link in a couple of other threads regarding the Nivomats, but here it is again for anyone who's missed it...

http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/answers/pdf/nivomat.pdf

This does a good job of describing how the Nivomats work. Don't worry about the fact that it's on a Caddy site, it's written by ZF Sachs and applies to all of the Nivomats (they make specific models for each line of vehicle - part of the reason that they're so expensive).

QK-R-N-U
03-11-2006, 01:12 PM
Very informative. Thanks for the post.

PaulFix
03-17-2006, 12:35 PM
thanks for the post, interesting reading. My Mag has them and I used to have a BMW motorcycle in the UK that had a nivomat shock on the rear end, worked great and kept the headlight well aimed.

voltmfg
05-15-2006, 01:04 AM
Does the load leveling in the tow prep option include the Nivomat shock?

Scott
05-15-2006, 01:44 AM
Yes.

NAS T MAG
05-15-2006, 07:25 AM
And I have a set with springs for sale. Make me an offer.

t walgamuth
08-25-2006, 05:35 AM
so will they fit my 95 sxt 3.5 AWD? and you just bolt them on? no wiring, controls or external pumps needed?

cool.

i have had benze wagon with the leveling system. it is great on them but very complicated compared to this.

tom w

Praetorian
08-25-2006, 06:01 AM
so will they fit my 95 sxt 3.5 AWD? and you just bolt them on? no wiring, controls or external pumps needed?

cool.

i have had benze wagon with the leveling system. it is great on them but very complicated compared to this.

tom w

I'm thinking you meant an ')% SXT, no?

Vaderwagon
08-25-2006, 08:52 AM
you just bolt them on? no wiring, controls or external pumps needed?

Nivomats are all internal action. So, no wires, pumps or controls. It is amazing that they will always seek the correct level no matter what the load. That is why they do not work with lowering springs.

t walgamuth
08-27-2006, 11:07 PM
I'm thinking you meant an ')% SXT, no?

oh yeah. it is an 05.

tom w

jg
04-23-2007, 02:02 PM

cool.

tom w

AWD vs. RWD = 1" different ride height. If you're thinking of using the RWD stuff on a AWD, I think you'd have to install the RWD susp. (springs/struts/shocks) from all four corners. If you only use the RWD Nivomats(rear shocks only) on your AWD car, the AWD springs will be fighting the Nivomats as they're tuned to sit at a specific height and spring rate. This is why you can't use the Nivomats with stiffer lowering springs(Eibach, etc.).

Hemi31
04-23-2007, 04:19 PM
AWD vs. RWD = 1" different ride height. If you're thinking of using the RWD stuff on a AWD, I think you'd have to install the RWD susp. (springs/struts/shocks) from all four corners. If you only use the RWD Nivomats(rear shocks only) on your AWD car, the AWD springs will be fighting the Nivomats as they're tuned to sit at a specific height and spring rate. This is why you can't use the Nivomats with stiffer lowering springs(Eibach, etc.).The RWD part # and the AWD part # are the same as far as I have seen.The rear height is the same between the RWD and AWD.It's the front that is higher on the AWD.....and on my AWD the front is a hair higher than the rear.

Tbird100636
04-29-2007, 01:23 PM
The RWD part # and the AWD part # are the same as far as I have seen.The rear height is the same between the RWD and AWD.It's the front that is higher on the AWD.....and on my AWD the front is a hair higher than the rear.
Um..no. The rear ride height is raised also. Just look at the rear of a RWD and AWD next to each other and you will notice the difference. The suspension parts in the rear are mostly the same except for the springs and shocks which are uniquely tuned for AWD, the knuckles, the camber links, the sway bar, the halfshafts, but the main thing that changes the rear ride height is the factory spacer washers in between the rear suspension craddle and the underbody.

NVRDUN
05-28-2007, 10:06 PM
Has anyone actually lowered with the nivomats? After skimming throught the document I came across some interesting things about lowering with Nivomats:

A further advantage of the Nivomat-suspended axle results from the possibility to
decrease the overall spring travel while still obtaining the same or even a larger
dynamic spring travel (Fig. 4). This is often used especially in lowered vehicles.

Hal'sMag
06-05-2007, 12:11 AM
I got the tow package springs and shocks from dupie 24 and we put the shocks on my 06 RWD. Got an inch to 1.5 increase on the rear.

Works well, and I'll fill the wheel well gap with larger tires, maybe 65 or 70 series. The SC will adust for the difference.

Loaded a ton of stuff for a charity thing, and the heigth stayed the same.

I'd suggest going with stock shocks, or kit, if lowering.

Junior
06-05-2007, 12:34 AM
Wow - that was a great piece of info. Thanks a lot for it!

tlbuss
07-27-2007, 05:45 AM
I would love to put a basic lowering kit (springs only) on my Magnum RT and get some 20" Torque Thrust M's, but when I went to check the application of the Eibach spring sets they exclude self-leveling suspension models (which my RT has). I quickly browsed the Nivomet article and I didn't see anything obvious preventing it... did I miss something? Is Eibach just covering their butt or will the lowering springs really cause a problem? I do tow a rather heavy boat with my RT so the load leveling is something I really need to work, not just a bell/whistle. Advice? TB

CyberThug
07-30-2007, 03:04 PM
Has anyone actually lowered with the nivomats? After skimming throught the document I came across some interesting things about lowering with Nivomats:

A further advantage of the Nivomat-suspended axle results from the possibility to
decrease the overall spring travel while still obtaining the same or even a larger
dynamic spring travel (Fig. 4). This is often used especially in lowered vehicles.

I have and it did NOT work!!! with H&R springs (#50866) that claim that it will lower the rear of the car 1.4"

I called H&R and all they could tell me is "oh well it worked here with a Mango we used for R&D..." they also said H&R have sold TONS of springs for this application but could not furnish any references to back their statement.

Bunch of BullSchitt!!! I will take this to court if I have to... b/c this is FALSE advertisement period.

Matt400
02-06-2008, 02:49 AM
I have and it did NOT work!!! Did not work? as in did not fit or the car stayed the same height?

stitchmonkey
02-06-2008, 02:07 PM

I think Shaggin Magnum did a write up on this

Novimats Modded for Lowered Springs... Finally (http://www.lxforums.com/board/showthread.php?t=82316)

Matt400
02-06-2008, 05:06 PM
Thanks for that link, obviously what is needed is a simple kit that will lower the nivomat upper mount like he did along with a cut oem spring. That would keep it all in check and lower the car.

You would think one of the suspension companies would figure this out. I know they all say the nivomats are junk but fact is they work well for their intended purpose that many people enjoy.

I would think more important than spring rate however would be to lower the upper mount "exactly" the same amount the rear is dropped. The measurement would have to be derived by removing the nivomat and measuring the mounting top to bottom, then install your lowered spring and drive the vehicle a few miles to settle the spring (no shocks) then again measure the shock mounting top to bottom and modify it exactly that amount.
If I were to try this, that is how I would do it.

edit Well after reading up more specifically about the nivomats it appears they use a much weaker spring to begin with. This not only compensates for the added pressure the nivomat provides but also allows the nivomat's pump to function correctly. Tighter spring rates of a lowered spring would give much less wheel stroke over road conditions.
From Nivomat:

The mechanical spring must be dimensioned weaker than a damper solution, as
indicated above, since the Nivomat takes over a portion of the spring force.

Looks like a better solution would be a shorter (oem spring rate) spring along with the upper mount mod.

leveil22
02-06-2008, 05:49 PM
just put mine on today lowered a bit.rides great

Hammerhead
04-01-2008, 09:54 PM
Just curious if there s an easy way to tell if you have these Nivomats?? I have an 07 300 Touring and the only thing my window sticker says is 4-Wheel independent Ride Suspension. Thanks in advance.........Don

ScooterDog
04-01-2008, 11:30 PM
Just curious if there s an easy way to tell if you have these Nivomats?? I have an 07 300 Touring and the only thing my window sticker says is 4-Wheel independent Ride Suspension. Thanks in advance.........Don

Give your vin to your dealer and they will tell you every part on your car.

MakaveliFaison
08-12-2008, 01:55 PM
how do you know if you have nivomat? i have a 05 300 touring and i have to change my shocks on rear end this week.

MakaveliFaison
08-12-2008, 01:57 PM
ive been told i have them and that i dont have them giving my vin to different dealerships.

doggz
08-12-2008, 06:06 PM
If you can see the rear shocks in the wheel well, the Nivomats should have "Sachs" printed on them as the manufacturer. That's what it says on my '08 Charger R/T R&T.

gillyiowa
08-13-2008, 07:18 PM
most of the stock shocks also have Sachs on them. Nivos are large. Damn near as big as struts

MakaveliFaison
08-14-2008, 11:54 AM
does anyone have a number to one of your dealerships in your area that knows about nivomat so i can call them with my vin to see if i have nivomats or not?

MakaveliFaison
08-17-2008, 05:52 PM
well my stock shocks said sachs on them but are not nivomats

diboblo
08-18-2008, 12:11 AM
Here is the part number info for the NIVOMAT Self Leveling Shocks...

Also, if you look at the bottom of the shock, where it mounts to the suspension, there is about a 3/4" post that comes out from the bottom of ths shock tube and connects to the "eye' that the bolt goes through. If the mouting "eye" is welded drectly to the shock tube, you don't have self leveling shocks.

Hope this helps,
Bob

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v231/asrstech/Dodge%20Magnum/ZoomerexhaustAug05006.jpg

Northern300
03-21-2009, 01:38 PM
So can anyone just install these on a 300C that doesn't have them already? Any alterations needed or is it just a straight install?

diboblo
03-21-2009, 01:43 PM
So can anyone just install these on a 300C that doesn't have them already? Any alterations needed or is it just a straight install?

They will bolt right on. You might want to get the matching springs, too.

I installed them in our RT Magnum and it took only a couple of hours.

Bob

Northern300
03-21-2009, 01:49 PM
Are the springs any different? Are they a different part number?

diboblo
03-21-2009, 11:30 PM
Yeah, the springs are a different part number. They didn't appear to be any longer, shorter. I'm sure they have a different spring rate...

I was fortunate enough to purchase a complete set of shocks and springs from a NVRDUN. We tow a small camp trailer with our Magnum and the shocks and springs really improve the handling and stance of the car with the trailer attached.

Bob

Verell
09-14-2009, 01:47 PM
Here is the part number info for the NIVOMAT Self Leveling Shocks...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v231/asrstech/Dodge%20Magnum/ZoomerexhaustAug05006.jpg

Bob,
Is that the p/n for the Magnum rear drive Nivomat, or for your Charger?

diboblo
09-14-2009, 03:16 PM
The PN is for a Magnum Nivomat.

Bob

Verell
09-14-2009, 09:54 PM
Thanks!!

Verell
03-16-2010, 11:57 PM
I recently bought a set of Nivomats & rear springs for my '05 Magnum R/T from someone who'd lowered their '05 Magnum. I also looked up the part numbers I received in the 2006 Magnum/300 (LX) parts PDF & after decoding all the build options, verified that they're correct & didn't change between '05 & '06 Magnums. They are:

SHOCK ABSORBER, Suspension: 4895 563AA
Spring, Rear Coil: 4895 538AA

I've had my lift tied up with another project, so broke down & scheduled a local shop to install them tomorrow.

Why am I doing this? I bought the Magnum to tow things. First my pop-up camper, & now we've bought a JAYCO Jay Feather Ex-Port 17Z camper that weighs in at 2900 lbs dry.

I hope this helps someone else doing converting to the tow package suspension as it took me about 3 evenings of digging to find & verify the part#s. Seems there's a lot of bogus info out there!

BTW, the Charger load leveling package DOES NOT FIT the Magnum: the ride heights & suspension dimensions are different.

jg
03-17-2010, 07:52 AM
BTW, the Charger load leveling package DOES NOT FIT the Magnum: the ride heights & suspension dimensions are different.

As far as I can tell, the height of the rear springs is the only difference, right?

diboblo
03-17-2010, 09:06 AM
I recently bought a set of Nivomats & rear springs for my '05 Magnum R/T from someone who'd lowered their '05 Magnum. I also looked up the part numbers I received in the 2006 Magnum/300 (LX) parts PDF & after decoding all the build options, verified that they're correct & didn't change between '05 & '06 Magnums. They are:

SHOCK ABSORBER, Suspension: 4895 563AA
Spring, Rear Coil: 4895 538AA

I've had my lift tied up with another project, so broke down & scheduled a local shop to install them tomorrow.

Why am I doing this? I bought the Magnum to tow things. First my pop-up camper, & now we've bought a JAYCO Jay Feather Ex-Port 17Z camper that weighs in at 2900 lbs dry.

I hope this helps someone else doing converting to the tow package suspension as it took me about 3 evenings of digging to find & verify the part#s. Seems there's a lot of bogus info out there!

I swapped my RT shocks and springs out for the Nivomat damper/spring package so I can tow with my Magnum. While the ride height is a bit higher, the improvement in performance when towing is a fair trade-off. My wife actually pointed out the difference. I didn't notice it at all...

We tow a 1957 Shasta Camp Trailer... (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8UHwfgmHjM)

Verell
03-17-2010, 06:42 PM
As far as I can tell, the height of the rear springs is the only difference, right?

The Nivomats have a built-in ride height. The Charger Nivomats have a different part # and ride height from the Magnum Nivomats, so can't be interchanged.

Verell
03-17-2010, 09:18 PM
...We tow a 1957 Shasta Camp Trailer... (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8UHwfgmHjM)

Hi, didn't notice that that was a hot link till tonite:duh:.

As towed, how much does the Shasta weigh?

jg
03-17-2010, 10:20 PM
The Nivomats have a built-in ride height. The Charger Nivomats have a different part # and ride height from the Magnum Nivomats, so can't be interchanged.

They may have a different #... BUT, the Nivomats work in conjunction with a specific spring rate to perform the leveling function.

I have Charger SRT8 nivomats with Magnum SRT8 rear springs (with Charger SRT8 front spings/shocks) on my '05 Mag. RT. They're the same rear spring rate, just 1/2-3/4" taller. Car rides and sits just like a factory Magnum SRT8.

From all i've read, the Nivomats work off the spring rate for leveling, and the spring height sets the ride height(as with any other vehicle). My car would ride like a brick truck if this weren't true.

Verell
03-19-2010, 05:03 PM
From all i've read, the Nivomats work off the spring rate for leveling, and the spring height sets the ride height(as with any other vehicle).

I suggest you read in more depth. The external spring is optional depending on vehicle weight, it just offloads some of the vehicle weight from the Nivomat. The Nivomats have height sensing valves in a vehicle specific fixed internal position. The Nivomat's piston actuates the valves when in the appropriate position.

diboblo
03-19-2010, 05:39 PM
Hi, didn't notice that that was a hot link till tonite:duh:.

As towed, how much does the Shasta weigh?

Not even 2k. Its pretty light.

You don't even notice you're towing the thing! We had to slow down going up the grade from Bishop to Mammoth/June Lake!

We're towing with a bone stock RT Magnum, except for the K&N FIPK intake...

We're going to take the trailer out of storage in a couple of weeks to do some work on her. I'm planning on taking it to the scale and I'll have a firm number. I'll be sure to post it :)

Verell
03-19-2010, 10:24 PM
Wow, that's really light, especially for '50s construction! Will be interested in seeing what it weighes in at!

I've been towing a'93 Jayco popup that weighs about 1900 to 2000lbs. Know what you mean about never noticing it was there, even on some long fairly steep uphill climbs. I couldn't measure the popup's effect on cruising gas mileage: a pretty consistent 22-23 mpg going about 65. But each stop & start would dropp the average about 2 mpg!

Where the popup was really noticable was stopping. The popup did't have brakes, so the Magnum had to stop everything. Never as sign of brake fade, but you could tell you were stopping with a much heavier load. Extra pedal force & longer stopping distance.

The new camper is going to be 50% heavier than the popup, with 480 lbs tongue weight. It will have electric brakes which should make a big difference in stopping. I expect the big difference to be the much greater wind resistance & it's effect on mpg.

Hmm, I'd think the Shasta would have about the same wind resistance as my new camper. What kind of mpg are you seeing when towing it?

Verell
04-25-2010, 04:37 PM
Just got back from a 2-day 'shakedown' trip towing our new Jayco Feather EX-PORT 17Z camper (17', GVW 3500 lbs, Hitch: 360 lbs).

Went 63 miles to Quinebaug Cove Campground, Brimfield MA. Mix of about 1/3 freeway & 2/3 hilly state routes.

Towing went very well, no problems.

Campground was OK, tiny sites, but at least had a pull-thru site.

Magnum was awesome:rock:, had no trouble pulling the camper, easily cruised at 55-60, had reserve power for passing if needed, no problem stopping. Gas mileage wasn't spectacular: 11.3 MPG for the trip. I've got a n eX-Cargo rooftop carrier that I'm going to add for the next trip. It's the right height & shape to serve as a wind deflector like the big trucks use. Should help gas mileage when highway cruising.

To avoid downshifting each time we started up a hill then upshifting when coming over the top & down, I selected 4th gear. 5th gear did pretty well on the freeway except would downshift for steeper hills.

Hal'sMag
05-19-2010, 11:22 PM
Beside the camper talk, is everyone straight? I like campers!

Nivomat's are matched to a spring rate. Stock R/T spring with Nivo's shocks raise the R/T over an inch, but ride fine and perform as intended.

I think the Nivo rear spring is weaker on the R/T as it looks the same as a stock R/T coil.

You still can't lower with a Nivo, but you can raise and fill the wheel wheels with a 265/65/18 tire that gives it a raked look and adds near a MPG.

94cruiser
05-20-2010, 08:32 AM
I'd like to raise the rear or rear and front of my RT Magnum.
A coworker of mine has a newer 300 Touring AWD and it definately sits much higher
Another coworker of mine has a newer SXT Charger with 17 alloys and that one sits lower than the 300.

Can I simply add those space washers? and keep the rest of my suspension the way it is?

Um..no. The rear ride height is raised also. Just look at the rear of a RWD and AWD next to each other and you will notice the difference. The suspension parts in the rear are mostly the same except for the springs and shocks which are uniquely tuned for AWD, the knuckles, the camber links, the sway bar, the halfshafts, but the main thing that changes the rear ride height is the factory spacer washers in between the rear suspension craddle and the underbody.

wyaton
10-22-2011, 05:03 PM
do anyone has the part# for srt8 front shocks

srt8-in-largo
09-22-2012, 07:47 PM
do anyone has the part# for srt8 front shocks

Assuming you have the SDX performance suspension and ZRB,ZCB springs as indicated on your build sheet...
RIGHT: 5290 471AB [SDX, ZRB]
LEFT: 5290 474AB [SDX, ZCB]

Yes I realize this is an old thread :-)