PDA

View Full Version : **Hemituner Saves My Bacon!! Once Again!!**

07-14-2010, 07:53 PM
So on July 3rd I went to Island and regained the NA Jeep title with an 11.34 @ 117.5 1.531 60'.
Wednesday the following week I am taking my son home from my Mothers
and I step on the gas and hear a little popping sound. Took it easy and went home.

Brought it to AJ Thurs afternoon, he had me pull a plug in every cylinder. I found 2 fowled
in Cylinder 3 right below the oil fill. They were bent shut with evidense of metal hitting them.
So he gives me 2 used plugs(cheapskate lol) and I put them in. All the other plugs appeared
"happy" as he likes to refer to them. I start it up and it runs great, take it for an easy
drive and no problem. He did a leak down on the cylinder and it was about 25%.
At this point we know something is wrong but not going to get into it yet.

I drove it around 200 miles over the weekend with no problem and a 2x4 under the
accelerator!! lol So my mission Sunday was to get a scope and take a look. I bought a
Milwaukee scope but it is too fat to go past the threads. I look and see what looked like the
face of the moon!! Instead of a nice black surface I see bright spots all over the place.
I let AJ know and he tells me to come first thing Monday(I had Off). Goal was to pull the
head and take a look. Well that piston looked like it went a few rounds with Tyson!!
Broke at 12 and 6 and was scratched like hell and looked like I hung it up and shot it
with buckshot! Also a crack in the top of the #7 piston, but no material damage.

So Aj turns to Bill and says lets pull it and I said hold on!! I have about 25k on this motor
and it is right where I want it. Dont you think we could just swap the 2 pistons? First
he leaked down the pasenger side and it was good!! So we went for it, I have no front
differential
so the pan was easy to get off without pulling the motor. That was Monday and now on Wednesday
we went for a ride and the beast is alive and kicken!!

Big thanks to AJ and Bill for an excellent job and for getting me done for the Nationals.
I met Aj about 2 years ago and glad to have him as my installer and especially friend!!!
Now go give the big guy at home some love!!

I dont have pics but Im sure AJ does. By the way Piston wear on the 440 was outstanding!!!

MORGAN82
07-14-2010, 08:02 PM
glad to hear it worked out for ya ,your jeeps a beast i love it especially the 2 wheel drive thats awesome

mjr5150
07-14-2010, 08:16 PM
AJ is an ass to the whole LX community . Oops......i meant asset.......lol . Glad you are back up man .

MadCharger
07-14-2010, 08:19 PM
Good to see it get fixed so quickly!

Any idea on what could have caused the damage?

FlyByU
07-14-2010, 08:27 PM
See you on Friday Chris :)

07-14-2010, 08:28 PM
Good to see it get fixed so quickly!

Any idea on what could have caused the damage?

We think it was mainly detonation from Oil in the cylinder, I had a leaky
gasket for some time.

bklynmag
07-14-2010, 10:42 PM
Dodged a bigger bullet for sure. Awesome stuff Chris!

concussion
07-14-2010, 11:14 PM
glad you got it worked out.

ujokin2
07-14-2010, 11:21 PM
glad to hear your back up and running..!