PDA

View Full Version : Asterick free record (for me...lol) at NJMP-Lightning

NYC_SRT8
05-31-2010, 07:58 PM
Here is my short story of my day at New Jersey Motorsports Park.

I got to the track at 7:20am. Found a place to park and unload all my stuff. I started changing my pads and wheels. Just before I finished mounting my last wheel they called for the drivers meeting at 8am. That lasted for 20 minutes then I went in the office to register, another 20 minutes. When I finished there I had 15 minutes before my group was scheduled on the track, shot! I hurried back to the car and mounted the last wheel, shot, I had to put air in the tires. I hook up the SRT compressor and go I get 2 wheels pump to 40psi and it can't fill anymore. So I try to pump up the other tires and they won't go past 30psi. My 1st thought is they have slow leaks and then I said this is almost impossible to be the case with all 4 tires. By this time my group was on the track...missed the 1st session. I drive over to the tech area where there is a compressor. I tried pumping air into the tires and no go, same problem. At this point I almost gave up. I took my car to tech and went back to the paddock. Sat for a sec and said let me try again at the compressor in the garage. Come to find out the compressor was not fully on when I was using it. I got all 4 tires up to 45psi cold and was ready for the 2nd session which was almost 2 hours later... :doh:. The 2nd is almost ready and I'm in the staging lane. We head out on the track and get going. This group had to be beginners because I was caught in lap traffic the whole session. So frustrating that I pulled in mid-session trying to get a open space in the track where I could pull some sick times...no luck! I soon as a I pull out by turn 3-4 I'm on top of someone. I chucked that session up to learning the course again. My goal in session 3(my 2nd session) was to be the 1st on the track and get a good 2-3 laps before I run up on someone....NOT! After my 1st lap some late comers got on the track in front of me and I had to pass them as well. That screwed my 2nd session too. The exact same problem I had in the 1st session. I was counting on my 3rd and final session to be the one I break a sick time. Since it was the last session of the day I was hoping most of the guys would have packed it up for the day. Luck me they did and I was able to pull three 1:19 and two 1:20 laps. The other times during the session I got caught in traffic, again! If I had a full session where I could let loose I could have knocked another 3 seconds off but I'm happy with the football anyway. Stell, please hook me up:).

Memo to myself, HPDE3 for now on...:thumbs_u:

http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r305/ny_smasher/NJMP-Lightning-5-29-2010.jpg?t=1275961792

xevilpetex
05-31-2010, 08:17 PM
Didnt beat the spread, not impressed :p

also am im reading it right that your top speed on your fast lap was only 130mph?

NYC_SRT8
05-31-2010, 08:21 PM
If I had a open track for more than 6 laps out of my whole day I would have killed that spread. I'm happy with a football ball though.:) Monticello football here I come...

xevilpetex
05-31-2010, 08:26 PM
If I had a open track for more than 6 laps out of my whole day I would have killed that spread. I'm happy with a football ball though.:) Monticello football here I come...

Watch all the videos i've got from lighting. I had very few clean laps too. Its just the way it is sometimes.

I think i might be able to take this one back on a day thats not 55 degrees out with a little effort.

Looking forward to the challenge and Congrats Will, you finally lived up to the self hype :not_worth :p

NYC_SRT8
05-31-2010, 08:33 PM
Watch all the videos i've got from lighting. I had very few clean laps too. Its just the way it is sometimes.

I think i might be able to take this one back on a day thats not 55 degrees out with a little effort.

Looking forward to the challenge and Congrats Will, you finally lived up to the self hype :not_worth :p

When I was watching the hpde3 group they had really good drivers in that class. From the few that I spoke to most of there times were similar to mine. The instructors in other cars in HPDE2 seen how much faster I was than the group. Even 2 flag guys came up to me at the end of the day talking about it. This was not normal bad, it was terrible. They had so many beginners that they filter into group 2. Next time I'll be in group 3 for sure.

Whenever you are going to Lightning or another track let me know and I'll be there...:thumbs_u:

xevilpetex
05-31-2010, 10:14 PM
When I was watching the hpde3 group they had really good drivers in that class. From the few that I spoke to most of there times were similar to mine. The instructors in other cars in HPDE2 seen how much faster I was than the group. Even 2 flag guys came up to me at the end of the day talking about it. This was not normal bad, it was terrible. They had so many beginners that they filter into group 2. Next time I'll be in group 3 for sure.

Whenever you are going to Lightning or another track let me know and I'll be there...:thumbs_u:

Ive been thinking about maybe going for the ECS day at lightning on Jul 16th but i haven't made any commitments yet.

I did it with them last year and i had an enormous amount of track time because they only ran 2 groups so it was 30 minutes on 30 off.

Also, traffic? here was my first session from the second day
X3B32aPb-yU
I dont get a single lap of open running. It wasnt much different for the next session either, which is why i left before the last one. Bad traffic isnt just your problem. The thing was, i still wasnt the fastest car in my group all weekend. There was a red c6 vette that was quicker and a V10 R8 that would leave me in the dust on the straights and was similar through the corners.

NYC_SRT8
05-31-2010, 10:38 PM
Ive been thinking about maybe going for the ECS day at lightning on Jul 16th but i haven't made any commitments yet.

I did it with them last year and i had an enormous amount of track time because they only ran 2 groups so it was 30 minutes on 30 off.

Also, traffic? here was my first session from the second day
X3B32aPb-yU
I dont get a single lap of open running. It wasnt much different for the next session either, which is why i left before the last one. Bad traffic isnt just your problem. The thing was, i still wasnt the fastest car in my group all weekend. There was a red c6 vette that was quicker and a V10 R8 that would leave me in the dust on the straights and was similar through the corners.

I'll edit some of my video I took through my video glasses tonight. I was the fastest car in my group by far. I was passing people like they were standing still. The worst of all was it took guys 3-4 seconds before giving me the point by.

I'm commited for Pocono on July 17th. I'll do everything in my power to swing the 16th if you commit.

MattRobertson
05-31-2010, 10:45 PM
Memo to myself, HPDE3 for now on...:thumbs_u:

Unfortunately thats my experience with NASA out here, and they don't let you jump up without going thru the whole freaking program out here. It was a maybe that they'd let me solo my first day out in HPDE 1. They packed so many cars on course that I just decided to walk away and use independent vendors. They cost more but you get decent track time and no overcrowding.

Congrats on the time! I take it you had the sticky tires this time?

NYC_SRT8
05-31-2010, 11:04 PM
Unfortunately thats my experience with NASA out here, and they don't let you jump up without going thru the whole freaking program out here. It was a maybe that they'd let me solo my first day out in HPDE 1. They packed so many cars on course that I just decided to walk away and use independent vendors. They cost more but you get decent track time and no overcrowding.

Congrats on the time! I take it you had the sticky tires this time?

Thanks man and yes those sticky tires are sticky.

xevilpetex
06-01-2010, 10:11 AM
Yeah, if you were so much faster you should have grabbed an instructor and gotten a check ride for hpde3. They might want to see that someone has signed you off for it in your log book before they let you run in that group.

CT-MSRT
06-01-2010, 10:45 AM

I'm glad your feeling comfortable on the new tires. Monticello aint gonna be a freebie for you. Lightning and Lime Rock are both very short tracks and easy to learn. 3.5miles and 22 turns at Monticello will take some time and some balls to do fast. Don't expect your competition to show up unarmed that day.

Were you able to get the tires talkin at all through any of the turns? These actually have a pretty progressive feel to them as they let loose. Starts to get eerily comfortable riding them on the edge of adhesion.

Mymopar
06-01-2010, 10:45 AM
Congrats on your football! Guess I'll see you at Monticello.

NYC_SRT8
06-01-2010, 12:09 PM
I'm glad your feeling comfortable on the new tires. Monticello aint gonna be a freebie for you. Lightning and Lime Rock are both very short tracks and easy to learn. 3.5miles and 22 turns at Monticello will take some time and some balls to do fast. Don't expect your competition to show up unarmed that day.

Were you able to get the tires talkin at all through any of the turns? These actually have a pretty progressive feel to them as they let loose. Starts to get eerily comfortable riding them on the edge of adhesion.

Congrats on your football! Guess I'll see you at Monticello.

See you boys at Monticello. It should be a good time.

TTMR
06-01-2010, 02:10 PM
That's movin! Faster than the Pro ran last year!

Glad to see my vote of confidence removing the foot ball last week was correct!

Ron380
06-01-2010, 02:14 PM
Well, I guess AWD + V6 can only get us so far compared to a big V8, huh? ;)
(Just wait 'till it's raining again! hehe)

Congrats Will- you're really getting good at this! We'll need to figure out a way to match up you guys with MattR after he gets his car running again. :thumbs_u:

MattRobertson
06-01-2010, 02:40 PM
... Supercharger, my friend :-)

xevilpetex
06-01-2010, 03:25 PM
That's movin! Faster than the Pro ran last year!

Glad to see my vote of confidence removing the foot ball last week was correct!

Did you completely miss that you lost the record about 2 months ago?

CT-MSRT
06-01-2010, 03:27 PM

go easy on the V6's. it takes them a while to catch up.....:tinfoilhat:

xevilpetex
06-01-2010, 03:32 PM
go easy on the V6's. it takes them a while to catch up.....:tinfoilhat:

:bahdumcha:

NYC_SRT8
06-01-2010, 03:40 PM
You guys are wrong...lol

TTMR
06-01-2010, 05:49 PM
Yeah, guess I did

TTMR
06-01-2010, 05:54 PM
And now I see where, should have told me you set it, I'd have pulled it down right then bud.

Hemi Family
06-01-2010, 07:47 PM
Congrats Will- you're really getting good at this! We'll need to figure out a way to match up you guys with MattR after he gets his car running again. :thumbs_u:

Hey - MattR isn't the only West Coast competition :)!

Congrats on the * free football, wish I had one of those.

xevilpetex
06-01-2010, 08:59 PM
And now I see where, should have told me you set it, I'd have pulled it down right then bud.

Its not a big deal, I really didnt care.

Ron380
06-02-2010, 09:35 AM
Hey - MattR isn't the only West Coast competition :)!

I knew that.... :doh:

I should have said, "match-up with the West Coast guys!" :mrgreen:

CT-MSRT
06-02-2010, 09:39 AM
I'm hoping to bang heads with those guys next year on a road trip with the wife. I fully intend to throw down the gauntlet on Laguna Seca.

Hemi Family
06-02-2010, 10:36 AM
I'm hoping to bang heads with those guys next year on a road trip with the wife. I fully intend to throw down the gauntlet on Laguna Seca.

Should be fun, by next year the Laguna times should be getting lower with Matt's new setup and myself with slicks and more seat time! Are you going to plan around the Laguna track schedule? If so we'll have to watch all the vendors as they announce their schedules into next year. Looking forward to it...

TTMR
06-02-2010, 11:03 AM
Its not a big deal, I really didnt care.
Still my bad, I'm not on here as much as I was, spending more time on a GM sport compact site gathering info for the Saturn.

CT-MSRT
06-02-2010, 03:49 PM
Should be fun, by next year the Laguna times should be getting lower with Matt's new setup and myself with slicks and more seat time! Are you going to plan around the Laguna track schedule? If so we'll have to watch all the vendors as they announce their schedules into next year. Looking forward to it...

I'll be looking at the track schedules to plan the trip. I'll have a hitch mount rack for my tires and shrink wrap them for the trip to free up some cargo room. I am working to get to NASA run group 3 this year so i can jump in with you guys on a competitive level the only day i get out there. A lot will have to go right for this to happen so i am hoping for the best.

xevilpetex
06-02-2010, 05:04 PM
the only problem with being run group 3 with Nasa NE is that they may want you to do at least a session in de 1 and de 2 so that you can learn the track and have a check ride with an instructor at Laguna.

Hemi Family
06-03-2010, 04:36 PM
The event you choose most likely will not be a NASA event so the instructor ride along shouldn't be an issue. The experience of running in HPDE 3 will give you what you need to run with us in the mixed group with open passing. The first session is generally a warm up and should give you time to learn lines and braking points prior to increasing your speeds. I'm sure Matt or I will be accomodating in allowing you to do a lead/follow in the first sessions...then it's on!

The most frequent vendors to Laguna are Track Masters and HOD... http://www.mazdaraceway.com/pages/Track_Calendar_2010

Since the OP is feeling good about his *-free abilities perhaps he'd like to join in? :)

MattRobertson
06-03-2010, 05:05 PM

mmmm. Whats that I smell in the kitchen?
http://www.buzzle.com/img/articleImages/291925-3701-53.jpg

The event you choose most likely will not be a NASA eventYeah, even though this is NASA's home region and their HPDE Director lives here (he tech'd my car at his shop in Sand City) they don't do a lot at Laguna. Probably its a matter of money. NASA events tend to be inexpensive and crowded and Laguna doesn't cater to that. They run at Infineon and Thunder Hill.

The most frequent vendors to Laguna are Track Masters and HOD... http://www.mazdaraceway.com/pages/Track_Calendar_2010

Don't forget SpeedVentures. Also On The Edge but I've never run with them. They just started a year or two ago, begun by a track photographer. I haven't run with them but their prices are good.

Of the two, SV and TM are who we want if we are going to be running timing. HoD forbids timing officially but you can do it... but you also have to qualify for C Group where there's open passing and they are fairly strict about moving up in the ranks.

TM's Mixed group is close to perfect, being largely open passing with only a few jagoff's who want a pointby. TM's Mixed is basically Advanced without the race prep cars to contend with, which can be formidable on that track. Some really big boys come out to play in race prep there.

SV's Advanced would be my second choice.

Sadly, Green Flag Driving went belly up in the recession. They were really good and only allowed experienced drivers.

Since the OP is feeling good about his *-free abilities perhaps he'd like to join in? :)
That would be cool if a bunch of guys came out.

NYC_SRT8
06-03-2010, 11:31 PM
The event you choose most likely will not be a NASA event so the instructor ride along shouldn't be an issue. The experience of running in HPDE 3 will give you what you need to run with us in the mixed group with open passing. The first session is generally a warm up and should give you time to learn lines and braking points prior to increasing your speeds. I'm sure Matt or I will be accomodating in allowing you to do a lead/follow in the first sessions...then it's on!

Must I bring the smack talk to the left coast as well...lol

Mymopar
06-04-2010, 10:17 AM
Must I bring the smack talk to the left coast as well...lol

LMAO, we'll see what happens at Monticello.

NYC_SRT8
06-04-2010, 10:23 AM
LMAO, we'll see what happens at Monticello.

:racing:

CT-MSRT
06-04-2010, 10:36 AM
:racing:
so I'm curious, when i am up your bumper again at Monticello like i was at lime rock, will we have to have a talk in the pits again to let faster cars by?

NYC_SRT8
06-04-2010, 10:50 AM
so I'm curious, when i am up your bumper again at Monticello like i was at lime rock, will we have to have a talk in the pits again to let faster cars by?

LMMFAO!

We'll be on the same tires buddy. Bring your A+++++ game is all I have to tell you.

Carfinish
06-14-2010, 08:59 AM
hey Will...congrats pal and here you go

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj205/CarFinish/Road%20Course/3-NYCSRT8-Lightning.gif

NYC_SRT8
06-14-2010, 10:36 AM
Thanks Stell!

CT-MSRT
06-14-2010, 10:38 AM
Thanks Stell!

so you gotta stack them like a n00b? at least put them side by side so you don't look as foolish as you do on the track "earning" them. :roll:

NYC_SRT8
06-14-2010, 10:44 AM
so you gotta stack them like a n00b? at least put them side by side so you don't look as foolish as you do on the track "earning" them. :roll:

Oh I look foolish on the track huh, is it the 25th yet? I got something foolish brewing for you on Monticello buddy.:)

CT-MSRT
06-14-2010, 11:15 AM
Oh I look foolish on the track huh, is it the 25th yet? I got something foolish brewing for you on Monticello buddy.:)

Just remember to keep it shiny side up, 2 of the corners there are flat out at 100+mph and with slicks we will be past the point of recovery if we break loose. There aint no trophy's to be had to 9/10's driving is plenty to have fun. Lets all make sure we drive home the same way we got there.

NYC_SRT8
06-14-2010, 12:12 PM
Just remember to keep it shiny side up, 2 of the corners there are flat out at 100+mph and with slicks we will be past the point of recovery if we break loose. There aint no trophy's to be had to 9/10's driving is plenty to have fun. Lets all make sure we drive home the same way we got there.

I hear ya bud. I'll have an instructor for the 1st session for sure. The instructor I'll have riding shotgun was at Thunderbolt with us earlier this year. He was splitting time with SRT-ED in his magnum.

CT-MSRT
06-14-2010, 12:24 PM
I'll keep an instructor all day more than likely. 22 turns and 3.5 miles is a lot to learn and there will always be room for improvement on a few corners per lap. Since we will get under 10 laps per session we don't really get a huge amount of time to practice each one like Lime rock where some of use hot lap in close to 1 minute flat.

NYC_SRT8
06-14-2010, 12:56 PM
I'll keep an instructor all day more than likely. 22 turns and 3.5 miles is a lot to learn and there will always be room for improvement on a few corners per lap. Since we will get under 10 laps per session we don't really get a huge amount of time to practice each one like Lime rock where some of use hot lap in close to 1 minute flat.

I love it! lol

CT-MSRT
06-14-2010, 01:07 PM
I love it! lol

i can do this all day man!

RobAGD
06-14-2010, 01:39 PM
I don't Know I still see one of these near Will :

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/vaughanroderick/Asterix.jpg

-R

I had to do it

CT-MSRT
06-14-2010, 02:08 PM
lol Rob. We'll leave Obelix out of this one.

RobAGD
06-14-2010, 02:19 PM
Now why would I postr a pic of Obelix ?

http://www.biocrawler.com/w/images/c/ca/Asterix-Obelix.gif

hehehe

-R

NYC_SRT8
06-14-2010, 02:32 PM
Rob, before entering a track oriented thread please attend the track yourself more than once a year please. That's all...:mrgreen:

CT-MSRT
06-14-2010, 02:38 PM
Rob, before entering a track oriented thread please attend the track yourself more than once a year please. That's all...:mrgreen:

http://library.thinkquest.org/05aug/00386/touch/burn.gif

RobAGD
06-14-2010, 03:08 PM
Well if I had the funds I would be at the track more :/

Trust me on that one.

-R

Ron380
06-14-2010, 03:26 PM
You and me both, Rob! :p

Still trying to figure out how to make a living as a track rat! :mrgreen: