PDA

View Full Version : Road Racing 18" wheels...another option

NYC_SRT8
05-11-2010, 12:31 AM
I received my wheels in the mail today, 18x9, +24 offset, Mustang Saleen replicas in 114.3 bolt pattern. After opening the 1st box I was like WOW! The finish is beautiful...glossy black finish. It's almost kind of too nice for a race wheel...lol. After the the wow factory I ran to the scale to see what the weighed. According to my digital scale they are 25lbs. That's the same weight posted on the website I purchased them from. Not the lightest wheel but still 3-4lbs lighter than the factory srt8 wheels. The weight should make this a very sturdy wheel. After all they were designed for Mustangs which are not a light car.

I was unable to mount the wheels on the car because I got home late and wanted to hit the gym. My only worry was if it will clear my huge Stoptech front caliper since from my number crunching earliear in the week I confirmed the offset won't be a issue. I'll have a little more than a 1/3rd of the an inch more clearance than Borbet 18x9.5 +20 wheels at the front spindle. Since I was unable to mount them on the car to test fit I had the next best thing, a template made by Stoptech to check clearance....
http://www.lxforums.com/board/attachment.php?attachmentid=23239&stc=1&d=1273550286

Heres how you use it...

http://www.lxforums.com/board/attachment.php?attachmentid=23240&stc=1&d=1273551109

Here are the pics of how much clearance I have...

top of the wheel barrel...

http://www.lxforums.com/board/attachment.php?attachmentid=23241&stc=1&d=1273551179
5/8th inch clearance.:pepper:

A pic of the clearance from the spokes....

http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r305/ny_smasher/IMG00094-20100511-0008.jpg
A little more than a 1/2 inch clearance:pepper:

Now for the shoots of the face of the wheel...

http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r305/ny_smasher/IMG00088-20100510-2239.jpg

http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r305/ny_smasher/IMG00083-20100510-2232.jpg

http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r305/ny_smasher/road%20coarse%20wheels%20and%20tires/IMG00090-20100510-2316.jpg

Now some pics of the tires that will be mounted....:mrgreen:

http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r305/ny_smasher/IMG00065-20100506-2127.jpg

http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r305/ny_smasher/IMG00066-20100506-2128.jpg

http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r305/ny_smasher/IMG00067-20100506-2129.jpg

Tires and wheels total was $931 to my door. Of to the tire shop tomorrow to get mounted....

Thanks for reading guys...SEE YOU AT THE TRACK!:racing:

RobAGD
05-11-2010, 12:52 AM
Nice,

Going to have to scrape some of the old rubber off those :)

-R

NYC_SRT8
05-11-2010, 01:02 AM
Nice,

Going to have to scrape some of the old rubber off those :)

-R

Nope, they come right off once they get heated up. At Lime Rock Mike tires were worst and when he got on the track they came off...were all smooth.

MattRobertson
05-11-2010, 01:04 AM
Going to have to scrape some of the old rubber off those
rooookieeeeee!

The crap you pick up offline just makes your tires last longer!

CT-MSRT
05-11-2010, 06:26 AM
rooookieeeeee!

The crap you pick up offline just makes your tires last longer!

no $hit man, dat dere is free rubber! a few offline bouts at the end of your run with the tires nice and hot and you pick up a few extra laps worth of rubber!

jsjahonda(big BK
05-11-2010, 08:24 AM
thats a nice look Will, hope it works out for you

Goehner
05-11-2010, 08:31 AM
Sweet setup.

CT-MSRT
05-11-2010, 08:31 AM

hopefully he can keep up this time (since he'll be out of excuses). Last time it was embarrassing, so i figured I'd let him know where he can get some real tires.:stir:

joelvan
05-11-2010, 08:32 AM
your new wheel will not fit. the center hub opening is to small . you will have to take them to a machine shop and get them milled out to the size of our hubs.

CT-MSRT
05-11-2010, 08:37 AM
your new wheel will not fit. the center hub opening is to small . you will have to take them to a machine shop and get them milled out to the size of our hubs.

woah, this might be an interesting development. I thought with the Cobra rims that we had the same inner hub size. I test fit my Borbets on my buddy's 03 Cobra last night and they snugged up nice on his front hub.

If this is a concern, I'd say bolt one up before you pay to get them mounted and balanced.

NYC_SRT8
05-11-2010, 09:08 AM
hopefully he can keep up this time (since he'll be out of excuses). Last time it was embarrassing, so i figured I'd let him know where he can get some real tires.:stir:

Tires was only half my problem buddy. Get me on a track where I don't have to back off because my exhaust being to loud and I will eat you alive...:thumbs_u::mrgreen:

joelvan
05-11-2010, 09:16 AM
I am running saleen wheels 18x10.5 and i had to have the hubs machined out and use 7/16 spacers with longer studs on the front with the 9.5 wheels you may be able to get by with out the spacers.
I also had to find different lug nuts. the Mopar nuts are too big and will not go into the recesed holes in the wheels

CT-MSRT
05-11-2010, 09:27 AM
I am running saleen wheels 18x10.5 and i had to have the hubs machined out and use 7/16 spacers with longer studs on the front with the 9.5 wheels you may be able to get by with out the spacers.
I also had to find different lug nuts. the Mopar nuts are too big and will not go into the recesed holes in the wheels

great info! very good to know.

CT-MSRT
05-11-2010, 09:29 AM
Tires was only half my problem buddy. Get me on a track where I don't have to back off because my exhaust being to loud and I will eat you alive...:thumbs_u::mrgreen:

lol, tell that to the Z06 who was out cornering you and pulled me in the straights under full power but i still passed. Nothing you could have done that day would have helped you, other than puncturing one of my tires. At least now you'll be fully operational and on the same rubber.

Hemi31
05-11-2010, 09:40 AM
Tires was only half my problem buddy. Get me on a track where I don't have to back off because my exhaust being to loud and I will eat you alive...:thumbs_u::mrgreen:just get a billy boat or borla exhaust

NYC_SRT8
05-11-2010, 09:42 AM

Flybyu mentioned this to me when I told him I was buying these wheels. He had the same problem when he purchased saleen replica's in 17" from another source. If they need to be machined I'll take it to a local machine shop. It's very little material that needs to be removed according to Flybyu. He actually said he did his self with sander attachment on a drill.

NYC_SRT8
05-11-2010, 09:45 AM

These are 18x9's, no spacers are needed. I have gorilla lug nuts. They are a lot slimmer than stock and fit in the wheels without issue.

Thanks for the heads up!:thumbs_u:

NYC_SRT8
05-11-2010, 09:55 AM
lol, tell that to the Z06 who was out cornering you and pulled me in the straights under full power but i still passed. Nothing you could have done that day would have helped you, other than puncturing one of my tires. At least now you'll be fully operational and on the same rubber.

I was on par with his butt in the corners. He would loose me in the straights because he had more straight line speed and because of my sound decibel handycap. I was all over him in the corners. Go ahead and ask him yourself. Like I said, tires was half my problem.

Don't worry about that bull's eye on your back. It's just me getting my target set and ready to blow by you now...lol:mrgreen:

NYC_SRT8
05-11-2010, 09:57 AM
just get a billy boat or borla exhaust

Too quiet for my taste. Corsa's are perfect for me. Screw Lime Rock's decibel bs. I'll have a fix for that track the next time I'm there.

NYC_SRT8
05-11-2010, 09:58 AM

Sweet setup.

Thanks guys...

MattRobertson
05-11-2010, 12:15 PM
Make sure you get pics of them shod and mounted on the car, with shots of the clearance up against the knuckle if possible.

:thumbs_u:

CT-MSRT
05-11-2010, 12:32 PM
Too quiet for my taste. Corsa's are perfect for me. Screw Lime Rock's decibel bs. I'll have a fix for that track the next time I'm there.

July 5th at Lime Rock, NO DB limit. Advanced drivers only with NO instructors offered. Gotta pay to play since this is when the big boys come out to run their monsters.

$345 for 3x 30 min sessions between 9:00am and 1:30pm.

By then you'll have my exact tires and have no restriction in your exhaust. Come get some if you want the real crown. I'll be there.

anyone else who is feeling saucy, feel free to pm me for details for the track session. You honestly better be a damn good driver and expect plenty of cars to be faster so get used to point by's.

NYC_SRT8
05-11-2010, 12:44 PM
Make sure you get pics of them shod and mounted on the car, with shots of the clearance up against the knuckle if possible.

:thumbs_u:

For you Matt I'll bring out my digital camera. No more 1.3 megapixel blackberry storm pics.:mrgreen:

NYC_SRT8
05-11-2010, 12:47 PM
July 5th at Lime Rock, NO DB limit. Advanced drivers only with NO instructors offered. Gotta pay to play since this is when the big boys come out to run their monsters.

$345 for 3x 30 min sessions between 9:00am and 1:30pm.

By then you'll have my exact tires and have no restriction in your exhaust. Come get some if you want the real crown. I'll be there.

anyone else who is feeling saucy, feel free to pm me for details for the track session. You honestly better be a damn good driver and expect plenty of cars to be faster so get used to point by's.

If I have the funds I'll be there. Saucy huh, call me Prego or Ragu...:)

Redfox0099
05-11-2010, 12:52 PM
Will these clear the OEM Brembos ok front and rear?

Link to where you got the wheels?

NYC_SRT8
05-11-2010, 01:07 PM
Will these clear the OEM Brembos ok front and rear?

Link to where you got the wheels?

Yes, I have monsterous Stoptech 6 piston calipers on the front. One ST60 calipers is almost the size of 2 stock brembo calipers put together. The rear I have st40 calipers that are slightly bigger than front stock brembo calipers. I was able to get 17" cobra replica's over the rear big brake kit when I was drag racing. You will have enough room in the wheels to sleep when mounted over stock srt8 brembos.

Direct link to website: http://www.cruizinconceptswholesale.com/

Direct link to the wheels I got: http://www.cruizinconceptswholesale.com/proddetail.asp?prod=S%2DSTYLE18X9BLACK24&cat=373

Mymopar
05-11-2010, 01:26 PM
Very interesting. I'd like to find a rim I can run on the R/T w/o using a spacer. Eneki are the only ones I have found with a +15 and also MB Battles have a +15. I really don't want to pay $300+ for a rim though.

Hemi Family
05-11-2010, 01:39 PM
You East Coast boys really lay down the smack...CT-MSRT, I see you've shared your secrets now the battle is on! Can't wait to hear the stories...I hope there is no twisted sheet metal in the future :)!

Can't wait until Matt gets back on the track so I have someone to play with!

MattRobertson
05-11-2010, 01:49 PM
Very interesting. I'd like to find a rim I can run on the R/T w/o using a spacer. Eneki are the only ones I have found with a +15 and also MB Battles have a +15. I really don't want to pay $300+ for a rim though.Well, when I talked to Enkei a few days ago, dunno if I mentioned it or not but they pointed to the new PRF01 as a much stronger rim, even though it has the same load rating as the RPF01 (yes they have the same name except you switch a couple letters around... I'm not lysdexic). The bad news is they are $349, but they are an 18x9.5 with a 15 offset albeit 5x114.3.

Can't wait until Matt gets back on the track so I have someone to play with!When you go to Laguna next I'll try and make it there for moral support/pit crew action since its right down the road.

Maybe I can help with tire inflation.

http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/urdefense_2103_20430606

ylwnana
05-11-2010, 01:49 PM
Very interesting. I'd like to find a rim I can run on the R/T w/o using a spacer. Eneki are the only ones I have found with a +15 and also MB Battles have a +15. I really don't want to pay $300+ for a rim though.
i am watching what you and matt do. US RT GUYS GOTTA STICK TOGETHER!

CT-MSRT
05-11-2010, 01:56 PM
You East Coast boys really lay down the smack...CT-MSRT, I see you've shared your secrets now the battle is on! Can't wait to hear the stories...I hope there is no twisted sheet metal in the future :)!

Can't wait until Matt gets back on the track so I have someone to play with!

I really debated holding out on the tire info. I think it's more fun with fairly level competition, at least as far as tires are concerned. There should be some epic days coming up. Our cars will be stressed more than ever before with full slicks and we'll find out pretty quickly what the next weak link is. Hopefully it's not the whole car (finding a wall).

I am pooling my time and scheduling already for next summer Mike and Matt. The wife wants a road trip and i want a battle on away turf. I know every corner of Laguna and i have been dying to get on it in real life for years. I'll be knocking on your doors next summer at a track day. I already have a hitch mount carrier for my tires. The road trip will be EPIC!

ylwnana
05-11-2010, 01:58 PM
Well, when I talked to Enkei a few days ago, dunno if I mentioned it or not but they pointed to the new PRF01 as a much stronger rim, even though it has the same load rating as the RPF01

http://www.enkei.com/pf01.html
they do look super nice!

xevilpetex
05-11-2010, 03:01 PM
Well, when I talked to Enkei a few days ago, dunno if I mentioned it or not but they pointed to the new PRF01 as a much stronger rim, even though it has the same load rating as the RPF01 (yes they have the same name except you switch a couple letters around... I'm not lysdexic). The bad news is they are $349, but they are an 18x9.5 with a 15 offset albeit 5x114.3.

You sure they werent feeding you a line to rep their latest and greatest new wheel? According to their site its made with the same process (MAT) and has fewer spokes that are longer then the rpf1s and is even lighter weight.

MattRobertson
05-11-2010, 05:17 PM
You sure they werent feeding you a line to rep their latest and greatest new wheel? According to their site its made with the same process (MAT) and has fewer spokes that are longer then the rpf1s and is even lighter weight.

Actually if you look at the side view of those spokes they look quite a bit more beefy than they do in a straight-on view.

Considering who I was talking to and the specifics we were getting into (he was describing why the wheel is stronger in its various points, point by point), I would say very likely he was being straight up. The RPF01 is one of their oldest designs (not a bad thing since it is proven and they got it right the first time -- but one of his points was that wheel engineering has advanced in the time since they were brought out).

Why don't you call him and ask for yourself? He's King Brandt and he's the Sales Manager for Enkei according to his page on LinkedIn. I got the distinct impression that he was a wheel designer himself based on his use of the first person when talking about wheel design, and his general knowledge of the subject.

Net result of that call was that, while he was very confident of a good product that has a lot of racing history behind it (and zero failures that they are aware of), they just don't have any experience with a car this heavy. The PF01 (I guess I are lysdexic after all) is a stiffer, stronger wheel that they seem to have some pretty high hopes for.

What I use is going to depend on offset. The Borbet's are my far-and-away choice. They've got the size and they've got the beef. The Enkei PF01's got a rousing endorsement. You know what I think of the RPF01's. The only thing that worries me about the PF01's is... what if the flex that Enkei told me exists in the RPF01's is actually what saves the rim from destruction, and if I try a stiff, light rim that very trait may be its undoing?

The preference for me is a fat rim for a fat car. The safety margin is where its at.

CT-MSRT
05-11-2010, 05:19 PM
The preference for me is a fat rim for a fat car. The safety margin is where its at.

you calling me and mike chubby chasers?

MattRobertson
05-11-2010, 05:20 PM
... We are all a bunch of phatte phuques.

xevilpetex
05-11-2010, 05:57 PM
Actually if you look at the side view of those spokes they look quite a bit more beefy than they do in a straight-on view.

Considering who I was talking to and the specifics we were getting into (he was describing why the wheel is stronger in its various points, point by point), I would say very likely he was being straight up. The RPF01 is one of their oldest designs (not a bad thing since it is proven and they got it right the first time -- but one of his points was that wheel engineering has advanced in the time since they were brought out).

Why don't you call him and ask for yourself? He's King Brandt and he's the Sales Manager for Enkei according to his page on LinkedIn. I got the distinct impression that he was a wheel designer himself based on his use of the first person when talking about wheel design, and his general knowledge of the subject.

Net result of that call was that, while he was very confident of a good product that has a lot of racing history behind it (and zero failures that they are aware of), they just don't have any experience with a car this heavy. The PF01 (I guess I are lysdexic after all) is a stiffer, stronger wheel that they seem to have some pretty high hopes for.

What I use is going to depend on offset. The Borbet's are my far-and-away choice. They've got the size and they've got the beef. The Enkei PF01's got a rousing endorsement. You know what I think of the RPF01's. The only thing that worries me about the PF01's is... what if the flex that Enkei told me exists in the RPF01's is actually what saves the rim from destruction, and if I try a stiff, light rim that very trait may be its undoing?

Im not going to call him, because i'm not going to buy a set of PF01's anyway. I've already spent my money and am happy with the product I've got. I dont expect any problems. I check the wheels for any signs of damage when i check the tire pressures before each session so if a spoke starts to crack or something I'll see it anyway.

Mymopar
05-12-2010, 11:33 AM

I'm going to be trying out a set of wheels, I may order one and see how it goes. I'll keep you posted.

NYC_SRT8
05-12-2010, 12:28 PM
I'm going to be trying out a set of wheels, I may order one and see how it goes. I'll keep you posted.

What wheels are you going to try?

CT-MSRT
05-13-2010, 07:16 AM
other pair of 9.5" came in last night, mounting the rest today. Yeehaw!

got a backup pair on 8.5" rims just in case. Since i ran a whole day on them without issue, i know that keeping them as #5 and #6 I'll be alright.

Mymopar
05-13-2010, 09:18 AM
other pair of 9.5" came in last night, mounting the rest today. Yeehaw!

got a backup pair on 8.5" rims just in case. Since i ran a whole day on them without issue, i know that keeping them as #5 and #6 I'll be alright.

Hey Mike, will you bring both the new 9.5 rim and the 8.5 rim on Saturday. I might as well try both options in case the 9.5 is a no go for me. I'm hoping to go at least with a 9".

CT-MSRT
05-14-2010, 09:31 AM
Hey Mike, will you bring both the new 9.5 rim and the 8.5 rim on Saturday. I might as well try both options in case the 9.5 is a no go for me. I'm hoping to go at least with a 9".

With your front upper arm, the Mustang rims with a few tweaks might be the best option for the offsets. I'll definitely throw them in the trunk for tomorrow though.

MattRobertson
05-14-2010, 09:47 AM
Looking forward to hearing the results of this part on an RT knuckle. I sure hope a spacer can cure this or I am looking at new knuckles.

CT-MSRT
05-14-2010, 10:06 AM
Looking forward to hearing the results of this part on an RT knuckle. I sure hope a spacer can cure this or I am looking at new knuckles.

well since ya got yer car up in da air, git yerself a sledge and make some more room up in der.

NYC_SRT8
05-14-2010, 11:02 PM
UPDATE!!!!!

The center bore on the Saleen replica wheels were too small. They were 70.8mm and as you know our wheels are 71.5mm. I went to Home Depot and picked up a Drum Sander attachment for a drill, went home and cleaned up the bore till it fit. It took me about 3hrs to complete all 4 wheels. I would take a little off at a time and test fit. I had to do that 15 times per wheel. I wanted to be safe than sorry. Being patient made the wheels turn out perfect. After that I ran to the tire shop to get the tires mounted. I will put them on Sunday to see how the feel on some back roads. I'll also take pics of the clearance to the knuckle as well.

CT-MSRT
05-15-2010, 11:43 AM
UPDATE!!!!!

The center bore on the Saleen replica wheels were too small. They were 70.8mm and as you know our wheels are 71.5mm. I went to Home Depot and picked up a Drum Sander attachment for a drill, went home and cleaned up the bore till it fit. It took me about 3hrs to complete all 4 wheels. I would take a little off at a time and test fit. I had to do that 15 times per wheel. I wanted to be safe than sorry. Being patient made the wheels turn out perfect. After that I ran to the tire shop to get the tires mounted. I will put them on Sunday to see how the feel on some back roads. I'll also take pics of the clearance to the knuckle as well.

glad you got em mounted, but please don't run those on the street. DON'T DO IT. they pick up EVERYTHING and throw $hit everywhere and will get a puncture extremely easy and then you are out money since you can't patch slicks. You'll fling rocks and gravel from the road everywhere and hurt your car and other cars and people around you.

NO SLICKS ON THE STREET man.:panic::panic::panic:

xevilpetex
05-15-2010, 12:58 PM
glad you got em mounted, but please don't run those on the street. DON'T DO IT. they pick up EVERYTHING and throw $hit everywhere and will get a puncture extremely easy and then you are out money since you can't patch slicks. You'll fling rocks and gravel from the road everywhere and hurt your car and other cars and people around you.

NO SLICKS ON THE STREET man.:panic::panic::panic:

yeah, pickup is bad enough with R-compounds. Slicks are even worse.

MattRobertson
05-15-2010, 01:09 PM
X3 man. You'll be sorrrrryyyyyy :-)

NYC_SRT8
05-15-2010, 01:29 PM
Thanks for the advice guys. I'll test them on the track in 2 weeks...

joelvan
05-15-2010, 09:41 PM
another reason they dangerously slick until you get them up to temp and on the street you will never get temp up high enough to really grip. my car will spin sidways up to 70 mph when they are cold . I ve seen alot of guys bust their ass in the first turn because the tires were cold.

cordeirotony
05-18-2010, 10:53 AM

Boy - The trash talking that is going on here makes me wonder if the HPDE3 run group is safe anymore. If I see the two of you coming at Monticello, I might have to down shift and pull away, but if you did catch me I won't hold you up....but you will have to catch me first. :)

Ordered my rims (Borbets 18 x 9.5 w. 20 mm offset) and got my tires (275/35R18 Hoosiers) coming....it will be a fun day!

CT-MSRT
05-18-2010, 11:17 AM
Oh hell yea man! All us boats running slicks. This will be amazing!

Catching you might be a problem though since they stuck all us hooligans in run group 2 since we are all new to NASA/PDA events.

Posted via LXFMobile http://media.lxforums.com/images/system_images/mobile/mobile.png

Mymopar
05-19-2010, 10:38 AM

Well this is what I found out and will make a seperate post once I get pics. Thanks to Mike for lending me a Borbet 18x9.5 +20 rim. Mounted with a 275/35 tire, I had contact on the knuckle. So this rim will not work on a R/T. The rim itself wasn't making contact, but the tire was.

So he had also dropped off a Borbet 18x8.5 +20 rim. Now THIS rim did work, but it is only 8.5" and I really wanted at least 9". So going by this info and running the calculations, a 18x9 +15 rim will work on the R/T's, problem is that they are hard to find cheaply.
An 18x9.5 +15 rim will work too, but you will need a spacer. Running a spacer with this rim will put the wheel outboard more and I believe it will stick out past the fender.

So either run a 18x9 +15 rim for a R/T or swap the SRT knuckle on a R/T if you want to run something wider.

MattRobertson
05-19-2010, 11:41 AM
For those of us with spacers and extended wheel studs, would it have worked? I was thinking a 5mm spacer was what was needed to do the trick. Possibly 8mm.

CT-MSRT
05-19-2010, 11:51 AM
For those of us with spacers and extended wheel studs, would it have worked? I was thinking a 5mm spacer was what was needed to do the trick. Possibly 8mm.

i got some spacers on the way for some various fitment tests. We can try them out when they come in. I bet a 5mm would get the job done with a 9.5" rim.

ylwnana
05-19-2010, 12:03 PM
still monitoring...if my car is as low as it is with 20"wheels and 40 series tires. it seems my car would be on the ground with 18's and 35's.

Mymopar
05-19-2010, 12:36 PM

I am going to make a "temporary" spacer up and remount the wheels tonight. I'm thinking a 7mm spacer which would be 1/4 inch might do it. Any idea on how much clearance you actually need from the knuckle?

Mymopar
05-19-2010, 12:37 PM
still monitoring...if my car is as low as it is with 20"wheels and 40 series tires. it seems my car would be on the ground with 18's and 35's.

My car sits really low too, but you have the same thing I have, KWV2's so just adjust the fronts, no biggie.

CT-MSRT
05-19-2010, 12:54 PM

My car sits really low too, but you have the same thing I have, KWV2's so just adjust the fronts, no biggie.

aint no speed bumps at the track, nice and low with a firm suspension will get it done. i'm only 2 inches off the ground running that combo and i didn't drag anything through the downhill compression at Lime Rock park.

xevilpetex
05-19-2010, 01:14 PM
aint no speed bumps at the track, nice and low with a firm suspension will get it done. i'm only 2 inches off the ground running that combo and i didn't drag anything through the downhill compression at Lime Rock park.

I had some touching issues when i was banging over the turn 1 curb at njmp due to the lowness. But my front end is all banged up anyway so who cares.

8yourM5
05-19-2010, 01:59 PM
wait when did they make an 18 inch slick? can you pm me the info on those tires please

CT-MSRT
05-19-2010, 02:27 PM
wait when did they make an 18 inch slick? can you pm me the info on those tires please

these are road racing slicks, not drag so they wouldn't be that great for you at the strip. PM me if you still want the info. the sizes we've been enjoying are the 275/35R18's and 280/680R18. If you're into turns on a track, you'll want some of these things for the prices we get.

Mymopar
05-19-2010, 02:54 PM

I had some touching issues when i was banging over the turn 1 curb at njmp due to the lowness. But my front end is all banged up anyway so who cares.

I think the concern is (and it is for me) is not so much the body but the long tube headers and such. Mine hang low so I will have to adjust for them at the track with the smaller tires.

MattRobertson
05-19-2010, 05:09 PM
Yeah the slicks most all of us are running - even though they are different sizes - are 25.5" in diameter. Thats quite a bit shorter as tire diameter goes. You saw how low I was at Big Willow. The thing is though... its not the street. I *did* have a couple contacts at Laguna Seca. Heavy braking and hard turning at the top of the Corkscrew (not in it, approaching it) gave me a sudden thwack. And I had another entering 2 under hard decel.

Any idea on how much clearance you actually need from the knuckle?I get away with a bare finger-width. When the car is on the ground and I stick my hand in and over the tire, I am in full contact with tire, rim and knuckle with my finger... so maybe 3/8" to 1/2" is what I have.

joelvan
05-19-2010, 05:29 PM
I am running the 280/680/18s and I still scrub my headers from time to time. last year I welded some skid pans on the bottom of my headers which gives some protection . when at Lowes when I bent my shocks It rubbed all the way threw the skid pan & the header .
if you are going to run the 275/35s you might want to consider doing it too.

MattRobertson
05-19-2010, 05:32 PM
those 280's are ideal tires but I don't think I can fit them in the front without new knuckles and 10" rims. But their height and weight capacity is perfect.

With the 26.2" R6's, I never touched bottom... all this is dependent on the car's ride height setting. Me, I'm adding a half inch before it gets back on the track.

CT-MSRT
05-19-2010, 05:34 PM
I am running the 280/680/18s and I still scrub my headers from time to time. last year I welded some skid pans on the bottom of my headers which gives some protection . when at Lowes when I bent my shocks It rubbed all the way threw the skid pan & the header .
if you are going to run the 275/35s you might want to consider doing it too.

glad the few of us with factory SRT headers don't have to deal with that. I know it will be a problem down the road, we are just doing everything we can to keep up with the big dogs.

Hemi Family
05-19-2010, 11:51 PM
glad the few of us with factory SRT headers don't have to deal with that. I know it will be a problem down the road, we are just doing everything we can to keep up with the big dogs.

Ditto...I did my test fit this evening and the car is definitely low with the slicks. By my tape measure the tires are about 25.125" diameter, which puts my rockers about 3" off the ground in front. I may adjust the front up slightly after Friday's 1st test session at Thunderhill. Click on the pics for full size photo's.

They fit in the back of a truck...looking pretty I might add!
http://i661.photobucket.com/albums/uu333/Michaelfine/Racing%20Slick%20Fitment%2005-19-10/th_DSC01818.jpg (http://s661.photobucket.com/albums/uu333/Michaelfine/Racing%20Slick%20Fitment%2005-19-10/?action=view&current=DSC01818.jpg)
They fit on the car...
http://i661.photobucket.com/albums/uu333/Michaelfine/Racing%20Slick%20Fitment%2005-19-10/th_DSC01828.jpg (http://s661.photobucket.com/albums/uu333/Michaelfine/Racing%20Slick%20Fitment%2005-19-10/?action=view&current=DSC01828.jpg)
They even fit in the back of a Magnum with room to spare, all six of them!
http://i661.photobucket.com/albums/uu333/Michaelfine/Racing%20Slick%20Fitment%2005-19-10/th_DSC01836.jpg (http://s661.photobucket.com/albums/uu333/Michaelfine/Racing%20Slick%20Fitment%2005-19-10/?action=view&current=DSC01836.jpg)

Off to the track I go!

MattRobertson
05-20-2010, 02:14 AM
Perfect! 3" off the ground is where I was... you must be higher up than I am. I was at 3" with 25.5" tires.

CT-MSRT
05-20-2010, 10:59 AM
Ditto...I did my test fit this evening and the car is definitely low with the slicks. By my tape measure the tires are about 25.125" diameter, which puts my rockers about 3" off the ground in front. I may adjust the front up slightly after Friday's 1st test session at Thunderhill. Click on the pics for full size photo's.

They fit in the back of a truck...looking pretty I might add!
http://i661.photobucket.com/albums/uu333/Michaelfine/Racing%20Slick%20Fitment%2005-19-10/th_DSC01818.jpg (http://s661.photobucket.com/albums/uu333/Michaelfine/Racing%20Slick%20Fitment%2005-19-10/?action=view&current=DSC01818.jpg)
They fit on the car...
http://i661.photobucket.com/albums/uu333/Michaelfine/Racing%20Slick%20Fitment%2005-19-10/th_DSC01828.jpg (http://s661.photobucket.com/albums/uu333/Michaelfine/Racing%20Slick%20Fitment%2005-19-10/?action=view&current=DSC01828.jpg)
They even fit in the back of a Magnum with room to spare, all six of them!
http://i661.photobucket.com/albums/uu333/Michaelfine/Racing%20Slick%20Fitment%2005-19-10/th_DSC01836.jpg (http://s661.photobucket.com/albums/uu333/Michaelfine/Racing%20Slick%20Fitment%2005-19-10/?action=view&current=DSC01836.jpg)

Off to the track I go!

that stuff right there looks fuggin sexy!!! :beerchug: :thumbs_u:

Mymopar
05-20-2010, 11:00 AM
Seeing how Mike lent me some tires and rims, I mocked them up and made spacers and such to see what would work on a R/T. My findings are posted here:
Road race rims for R/T (http://www.lxforums.com/board/showthread.php?p=2961820#post2961820)

joelvan
05-20-2010, 03:02 PM
My new tires in http://www.lxforums.com/board/picture.php?albumid=1168&pictureid=9518

MattRobertson
05-20-2010, 03:06 PM
My new tires in ...
Oh man those look nice and meaty. Sometime, could you take a shot of them from the side, mounted on the rims but off the car? I'm curious to see the sidewall overhang compared to the others.

CT-MSRT
05-20-2010, 03:07 PM
My new tires in

hell yea Joel! i can't get a real good glimpse with the res of the pics but it looks like you got some nice rubber there.

Oh man those look nice and meaty. Sometime, could you take a shot of them from the side, mounted on the rims but off the car? I'm curious to see the sidewall overhang compared to the others.

he runs some wide rims so the pics might deceive you a bit. gonna get yourself some 10.5 rims Matt?

MattRobertson
05-20-2010, 05:41 PM
You never know... If I want to put in new hubs in the front a new knuckle starts looking even more attractive. I've had my eyes on the 280/680R18 for a *long* time given what it will do for weight capacity and vehicle height.

joelvan
05-20-2010, 07:13 PM
how bout this.

http://www.lxforums.com/board/picture.php?albumid=1168&pictureid=9519

MattRobertson
05-20-2010, 07:59 PM
That works. And those are 10" wheels, right?

RobAGD
05-20-2010, 08:28 PM
Hubs are the same so all you would need are the spindle and or knuckles

-R

joelvan
05-20-2010, 08:42 PM
they are 10.5s and the 280s fit them perfect, ive tried 305s they scrub on everything even after rolling fenders and removing the splash shields also using a shop hammer on the inner fender wells

MattRobertson
05-20-2010, 09:25 PM
they are 10.5s and the 280s fit them perfect, ive tried 305s they scrub on everything even after rolling fenders and removing the splash shields also using a shop hammer on the inner fender wells

ok thanks Joel!

Hubs are the same so all you would need are the spindle and or knuckles
True but I wonder if I wouldn't be well advised to just replace the hubs while I have everything apart already.

RobAGD
05-20-2010, 09:27 PM
Ah, preventive doo dad replacement......

-R

RobAGD
05-21-2010, 12:21 PM
FOund this while poking around today :

http://image.moparmusclemagazine.com/f/25450424/mopp_0912_03_o+blackforest_motorsports_2009_dodge_ challenger+.jpg

Lookie at the wheel/tire bead :)

-R

CT-MSRT
05-21-2010, 12:30 PM
FOund this while poking around today :

Lookie at the wheel/tire bead :)

-R

Those be the Conti tires i believe. Looks like a few more PSI would benefit them.

NYC_SRT8
05-21-2010, 01:01 PM
how bout this.

http://www.lxforums.com/board/picture.php?albumid=1168&pictureid=9519

Those wheels look familiar...:rock:

joelvan
05-23-2010, 07:22 PM
Well I found out how important it is not to run a directional slick the wrong way. with only three laps my left front tire seperated and nearly blew out. it's my fault. I mounted all four tires the same direction and it was too late to change it when i noticed it. from now on
I will not buy Yokohama race tires because they are directional. I like the option of fliping a tire around if it gets worn more on one side .http://www.lxforums.com/board/picture.php?albumid=1168&pictureid=9521

xevilpetex
05-23-2010, 07:48 PM
Damn Joel, you're not having much luck the last few race weekends.

You still going to use the rest of the stack of yoko's you posted a picture of?

joelvan
05-23-2010, 08:00 PM
I will need them. unless I can find some Dunlops to replace them

here is a link to Video of the 3 laps before the tire letgo. http://www.vimeo.com/11974789

MattRobertson
05-23-2010, 11:01 PM
Ouch. Well at least you figured out what was up and pitted before it went blooie. Could have been a lot worse.

MattRobertson
05-23-2010, 11:04 PM
here is a link to Video of the 3 laps before the tire letgo. http://www.vimeo.com/11974789looks great! Those guys in the Vipers couldn't have been happy. Passing em on the straight is bound to leave a mark.

FlyByU
05-23-2010, 11:12 PM
I will need them. unless I can find some Dunlops to replace them

here is a link to Video of the 3 laps before the tire letgo. http://www.vimeo.com/11974789

That looks like a fast track, cool footage.

xevilpetex
05-24-2010, 01:39 AM
Joel, cant you still flip the directional tire on the rim and use it on the other side of the car to get more life? You just need to make sure its pointing in the right direction before you put them on the car.

They're directional not asymmetric.

CT-MSRT
05-24-2010, 06:41 AM
Well I found out how important it is not to run a directional slick the wrong way. with only three laps my left front tire seperated and nearly blew out. it's my fault. I mounted all four tires the same direction and it was too late to change it when i noticed it. from now on
I will not buy Yokohama race tires because they are directional. I like the option of fliping a tire around if it gets worn more on one side .

holy crap, i had no idea there ever were directional slicks. I know nothing about Yokohama's at all.

Joel, cant you still flip the directional tire on the rim and use it on the other side of the car to get more life? You just need to make sure its pointing in the right direction before you put them on the car.

They're directional not asymmetric.

makes sense to me, i wonder as long as there isn't a inside or outside edge if that would matter at all?

joelvan
05-24-2010, 07:23 AM
if you are on a track with 7 right turns & 2 lefts you it will still wear out the left side of the tire regardless to if it's inside or outside of the rim. you will get a third more time if you can use it on both sides of the car before fliping the tire.