PDA

View Full Version : 2010 Track Schedule - Make it a West Coast MnG Circuit?

MattRobertson
12-31-2009, 12:44 PM
Well, so far most track vendors have posted their first-half-of-the-year schedules. Two of them (SpeedVentures and TrackMasters) are offering deep discounts due to the economy. Hooked On Driving has actually gone up a bit but they really are the premium vendor out there. Bummer.

I'm going to put up all dates that look good ... more than I will actually do.

Over the last three years I have tried to concentrate on one track per year. Last year it was Infineon. Before that it was Laguna and mixed into the middle I wound up really liking Thunder Hill. For next season, my driving has improved to the point where I want to revisit Laguna Seca and make a serious run to see if an LX can get into the mid 1:40's as opposed to just breaking into them. I'm going to try and smash that record up but good.

I also want to at least have a good shot at proving on a timer that I can run sub 2:00 at Infineon. I did it last season but the timer was on the fritz so no proof. But that track is so hairy ... I want to make a serious move on it, but only one. I've gone thru more corners sideways there last year than all other tracks combined, ever.

I like to try and add one new track per year and it looks like I am finally going to add Big Willow. Cheap. That may be my season opener.

All this is subject to change, big time. Dates to be added as I find out about them from the vendors.

Date|Track|Vendor|Daily Price|Status|Notes
Jan 30|Thunder Hill|Hooked On Driving (http://hookedondriving.com)|$290|Big Maybe|Expensive and likely to be bad weather. Doing it only if I can't stand to take a month off.
Feb 20,21|Willow Springs Big Track|Speedventures (http://speedventures.com)|$170|Signed UP/Paid|A weekend and only $170 per day? Duh. Sign me up for both. 2-day price is discounted to $330.
Mar 4,5|Laguna|Trackmasters (http://trackmasters-racing.com)|$195/245|Signed Up|It'll either be perfect weather or raining. Hoping for the former and this will be a serious stab at the record. TM's new pricing model makes these days relatively cheap. Way close to the Willow time in Feb but its my home track so lodging is free and travel is zero. Saturday is a typical 4-run-group day and Sunday is 3 run groups with *enormous' amounts of track time.
Mar 13|Willow Springs Big Track|Speedventures|$160||Another cheap Willow day. Will only happen if Laguna doesn't or if I insanely love the Willow track. NOTE: this is pretty close to SpringFest. Hmmmmm.....
Apr 12,13|Infineon|Trackmasters|$200*||Again, should be cheap given their new pricing and this will be my shot at setting a serious lap time.
May 21|Thunderhill backwards|Trackmasters|TBD|Gotta Do It!|TH backwards is legendary. You go four wheels in the air on the Bypass. That should make for a fantastic still picture.
Jun 21|Laguna|Trackmasters|TBD||If I need another shot at the record, this is where I'll do it. Laguna is not a track to run hot so this may be a less than ideal day.

* = unofficial. Based on events where signups are already in progress.

I'd like to do more Thunder Hill. TrackMasters has TH events scheduled in July, August and September... which will be blisteringly hot. Not so sure about that. What do you guys in CA think? Want to join up?

Centurion
12-31-2009, 02:33 PM
I need brakes... So maybe if I find some extra money laying around :)

Centurion
12-31-2009, 02:36 PM
Although I am register with Track Masters...

RobAGD
12-31-2009, 08:07 PM
Hey Matt there is a hole in your schedule :p Some where around the end of March :D

Wow, those are some cheap track days, I am hoping I can get my $$ thing sorted out and hit a few this year.

-R

MattRobertson
12-31-2009, 08:20 PM
Yeah don't I wish... All I need is about two thousand dollars to transport the car there and back and I'm set.

RobAGD
12-31-2009, 08:42 PM
I am still trying to work on that for you :)

You may want to talk to the guys and see about "sponsoring" your trip out for some decal time on the car ? :)

-R

MattRobertson
12-31-2009, 08:48 PM
yeahhhh I don't do decals. I've earned and paid for every part on that car. Nothing personal against anyone. Just a thing I have in my head.

Hemi Family
01-02-2010, 09:44 PM
Date|Track|Vendor|Daily Price|Notes
Jan 30|Thunder Hill|Hooked On Driving (http://hookedondriving.com)|$290|Expensive and likely to be bad weather. Doing it only if I can't stand to take a month off.
Feb 20,21|Willow Springs Big Track|Speedventures (http://speedventures.com)|$160|A weekend and only $160 per day? Duh. Sign me up for both. 2-day price is discounted to $310.
Mar 4,5|Laguna|Trackmasters (http://trackmasters-racing.com)|$245*|It'll either be perfect weather or raining. Hoping for the former and this will be a serious stab at the record. TM's new pricing model should make this day relatively cheap. Way close to the Willow time in Feb but its my home track so lodging is free and travel is zero.
Mar 13|Willow Springs Big Track|Speedventures|$160|Another cheap Willow day. Will only happen if Laguna doesn't or if I insanely love the Willow track.
Apr 12,13|Infineon|Trackmasters|$200*|Again, should be cheap given their new pricing and this will be my shot at setting a serious lap time.
May 21|Thunderhill backwards|Trackmasters|TBD|TH backwards is legendary. You go four wheels in the air on the Bypass. That should make for a fantastic still picture.
Jun 21|Laguna|Trackmasters|TBD|If I need another shot at the record, this is where I'll do it. Laguna is not a track to run hot so this may be a less than ideal day.

* = unofficial. Based on events where signups are already in progress.

I'd like to do more Thunder Hill. TrackMasters has TH events scheduled in July, August and September... which will be blisteringly hot. Not so sure about that. What do you guys in CA think? Want to join up?

Well this is another big year for me, I started my training for this year's All Mountain World Championships and the Tour de France but I will definitely make time for some track days, I'm in for the following;

Jan. 30. Depends on weather, a good forecast and I'm there.
Feb, 20-21 - Unless disaster strikes, done deal...two days :pepper:
March 13 - Maybe - depends on Feb date...probably won't do both unless I really like this track.
April 12,13 - Maybe, most likely will be competing at Laguna Seca's "Sea Otter" event for cycling.
May 21 - It's on the radar
Jun 21 - Last one I can hit until Aug. I love this track! If Matt can't improve his time maybe I can :stir:

Centurion
01-02-2010, 11:48 PM
Apr 13th is a possibility

MattRobertson
01-14-2010, 06:13 PM
Things are starting to shape up. A few days back the signups for Laguna in March opened up. I signed up but held the money back in case Willow opened up at SpeedVentures. It did today and I signed up there (SV requires payment at signup).

Since this is my first day on track, I bought into the Intermediate run group (point by passing in designated zones) for Saturday, and High Intermediate (point by passing anywhere on track) for Sunday. I bought an instructor for Session #1 of each day to first show me the line, and then after a day to hopefully assess what I learned on Saturday and give me some finishing-up pointers.

Total cost with instruction for both days was $430 which is still cheap by 2009 standards. Prices have *really* come down.

I am going to have to get two tires by the time I get to the February date, and I may be on the hook for two more before March. These will be the R100's. Plus I am definitely going to need a set of rear B pads. Ugh I was living large late in 2009 as I was living in the early part of the parts replacement cycle but now a lot of stuff is coming up all at once. Bah humbug.

the good news is I'll get the track fees out of the way early. I'll have Trackmasters paid off after payday so the $1000 or so I need for tires and brakes can be scrounged up in Feb and March.

Hemi Family
03-03-2010, 10:33 PM
Laguna tomorrow!

MattRobertson
03-03-2010, 11:55 PM
... Rain coming down sideways a couple hours ago! Supposed to rain again late tonight and then again Friday afternoon. Crossing fingers. No rain right now but man did we ever get hit over the last 24 hrs. Thats the coast for ya.

I got my new rotors on today, and the rain tires on. Six slicks are pumped full of air and ready to load. 4 gas cans full. My alarm goes off at 5. Gates open at 6:45 and I hope to be there when they open up the outer gate at the bridge.

Hemi Family
03-04-2010, 12:44 AM
Ditto...new rotors, new tires all loaded ready to go but, my alarm is set for 3:30...out the door by 4:00, yikes! Google maps says 2:45 to the track but I think it's doable in 2:15...we'll see, maybe I'll have time for a bite to eat. All the weather forecasts' say we are good for a clear day tomorrow at least....

MattRobertson
03-04-2010, 01:11 AM
it was hailing about 1/2 hr ago. I got hailed on this afternoon too when I was working on the car.

It should be clear by tomorrow!

ylwnana
03-04-2010, 04:09 PM
hope you guys have fun up there!!

Hemi Family
03-06-2010, 12:26 PM
Alright, the rest of my summer is set with lots of time at Thunderhill. I hear it is really hot there and I haven't had a chance to run my car in the heat yet, let's see how she holds up!;

April 23, Thunderhill
May 21, Thunderhill
June 21, Laguna
Aug. 20, Thunderhill
Sept. 16, Thunderhill

Get back in the saddle soon Matt, I'm gonna need some company!