PDA

View Full Version : A New LX Road Course Record!

MattRobertson
11-12-2009, 05:09 PM
Because six wheels were just not enough:

8 (count 'em) Eight Spare Wheels in One Wagon.

http://lelandwest.com/auto-tech/magnum/eight_wheels_01.jpg

http://lelandwest.com/auto-tech/magnum/eight_wheels_02.jpg

http://lelandwest.com/auto-tech/magnum/eight_wheels_03.jpg

Plus all my tools and ancillary gear (not pictured is the Giant Duffel of Stuffage, removed prior to taking the photo). And the front seat is still empty so I could have even gone Nine. So there.

The only thing I had to give up was my recliner, and I had to use a small jug instead of my usual stand-up ice chest. And I didn't miss the recliner or the ice chest since it rained much of the day.

Which is why I brought two different sets of wheels in the first place. I was worried it would rain and if it did, slicks on Infineon would be a one-way ticket to an up close view of the side of a hill, off-course.

Good thing I did cuz... it rained. Those tires with tread on them are my old Bridgestones, the wheel set I used before getting the Hoosiers. Boy am I ever glad I never sold those.

Then it dried out and looked like if it stayed dry, the track would dry out for the afternoon.

Then it rained again. Right in the middle of my second session. We'll see if the video is interesting or is just a rain-spotted slow loop around the track. It sure was exciting, trying to stay on the one thin patch of almost-dry pavement, or at least the parts without standing water on them. I found out in Session 1 you don't need standing water to spin out. I drifted thru a couple of scary places and then realized even at parade lap speed I was catching everyone else. So I had to crawl down to like 40 mph to stay on the ground.

The only cars faster than me - for once - were two Murcielagos. AWD is a good thing in the rain. And there was an AMG that had tires that must be secreting glue because while he was no faster in the straights he was at least 10 mph faster in the corners... by which I mean he was going 30 mph.

In the second session I was getting up a good head of steam, around 90 mph heading into Turn 10 where there was standing water *right* off the line... then I realized I was threading a very dangerous needle and needed to GTFO the course and go home while it was still possible. So I did.

I took my time packing, and of course it didn't rain. And seemed to be clearing up. Crap says I. Its gonna clear up now that I am leaving!

Then it started raining again.

Next track day is Dec 18 at Laguna Seca with Hemi Family also in attendance.

bryan_k47
11-12-2009, 05:14 PM
Sounds like a whole pile of fun. ENVIOUS

JarZ
11-12-2009, 05:16 PM
You need a half-a-Magnum trailer to haul even more tires/extra crap to the track. That would be even cooler than the casket idea, imo

Ron380
11-12-2009, 05:26 PM
I believe Nathan will be the "beta-tester" for the Half-Magnum-Trailer idea. ;)

Must have been an interesting day out there, Matt. Glad you came home with the original number of pieces in their original locations! :thumbs_u:

Hemi Family
11-12-2009, 05:48 PM
Nicccce, I guess I will have to bring the ice chest and recliner to Laguna since you have our :wink: spare wheels covered...jk, I had my PZero's mounted yesterday so they'll be along for the trip. The half Magnum trailer sounds interesting, I recently saw a Vette towing a "custom" trailer which was just big enough to carry 4 wheels and an ice chest :beerchug:. I was thinking a trailer would be the way to go, I'd hate to have all those tires in the way of my sound system for the ride home! Also, my wife is interested in making the trip (Monterey, Santa Cruz) so we may have another LX in the pits.

MattRobertson
11-12-2009, 06:41 PM
Yeah I have seen one of those. Most cool. But methinks we gotta suck it up as we are station wagons. Otherwise whats our excuse for racing them?
http://www.digitalcorvettes.com/corvette-photos/data/510/Corvette_Tire_Trailer_2.JPG

Hemi Family
11-12-2009, 07:01 PM
Yeah I have seen one of those. Most cool. But methinks we gotta suck it up as we are station wagons. Otherwise whats our excuse for racing them?
http://www.digitalcorvettes.com/corvette-photos/data/510/Corvette_Tire_Trailer_2.JPG

Similar, the guy I saw had a rack welded above the cargo area to carry the tires leaving the lower open for gear. I don't know if there is a legitimate excuse for racing a station wagon...mine would be "because I can"! Ironically some of my gearhead friends give me s$%^ because of the size and weight while they have perfect track cars but won't run them. Even funnier, they've poured money into brakes, suspension, tuning, tires and more just to drive to dinner...one of these days I'll get them to show up so we can give them a good spanking!

Paywithdeath
11-12-2009, 09:03 PM
If anyone went to the LX nationals this year and happend to go to a&w for the car show there was a cadillac XLR with a trailer hooked onto it there. pretty funny.

DevilzTower
11-13-2009, 02:38 PM
The half magnum trailer idea sounds cool, but for the cash it'll take to pull that off, you could have a 1/2 pickup or van with a car trailer to pull the death wagon with. That way you wouldn't have to try and put 8 wheels in to the maggie.

xevilpetex
11-13-2009, 09:09 PM
The half magnum trailer idea sounds cool, but for the cash it'll take to pull that off, you could have a 1/2 pickup or van with a car trailer to pull the death wagon with. That way you wouldn't have to try and put 8 wheels in to the maggie.

Pretty much, These days you can pick up a decent half ton pickup for 10k and a trailer for 5k and not have to deal with a myriad of issues.

Hemi Family
11-14-2009, 03:16 AM

But the coolness factor would be off the charts with a 1/2 maggie trailer! Surely that would be worth some beans! I've already got the hidden hitch so a simple trailer may be my solution. Matt will continue to impress with his packing jobs and he still has a front seat to go!
But wait, didn't we discuss wheel and tire capacity in another thread? Matt, how close are you to exceeding suggested load capacity :panic:?

MattRobertson
11-14-2009, 02:40 PM
But wait, didn't we discuss wheel and tire capacity in another thread? Matt, how close are you to exceeding suggested load capacity :panic:?
hah!

I am driving on the 255/45/20's, and I take the cold PSI to 34, so I'm ok but not great, since the NT05's are not XL tires.

I don't really sweat the street since I just use cruise control more often than not and never push it. I save that for the track nowadays. No more helicopters :D

Hemi Family
11-15-2009, 01:59 AM
hah!

I am driving on the 255/45/20's, and I take the cold PSI to 34, so I'm ok but not great, since the NT05's are not XL tires.

I don't really sweat the street since I just use cruise control more often than not and never push it. I save that for the track nowadays. No more helicopters :D

But helicoters are cool! As usual, we are fortunate to learn from your experiences! I know they have served me well so far...

4t5Gunner
11-15-2009, 09:55 AM
Got a buddy with a M60 or a M240? Nice ammo cans. A143? Me I like the A131. the Ball / Tracer. Oh... By the way looking forward to the video. I always enjoy watching you.

MattRobertson
11-15-2009, 02:18 PM
Got a buddy with a M60 or a M240?
Those were originally Royal Army (UK) issue belted 7.62 meant for an M60. Several years ago the Brits sold off their 80's-manufacture stocks, presumably to make fresh stuff, and it was dumped on the U.S. market.

Each can contained a single 200-round belt and I paid $29.95 each for them. And yeah I had quite a few of them. Unbelting the ammo was a PITA. A lot of ammo except I used to go to the range weekly with my M1A (nat'l match, walnut stock, iron sights and a 400-yd dinger to plink at) and would often use up a can a week. I gave away a LOT of ammo boxes. Now I wish I had been a little more selfish.

I don't shoot anymore (no money thanks to track racing... go figure) but I have some boxed, bandolier'd Aussie 7.62 thats hot stuff. Those boxes are wider and will make better toolboxes... but right now they are still busy :-).