PDA

View Full Version : Racing on the Surface of the Sun Tomorrow :-(

MattRobertson
09-10-2009, 01:09 PM
OK, so I am going to Thunder Hill tomorrow. This month I was supposed to be going back to Laguna Seca, but I switched after I did so well on Thunder Hill last month, I decided to go back and get a revised lap time.

I leave this afternoon. Its a 4 1/2 hour drive to the track. I'm already packed. 6 wheels, 4 gas cans, reclining lawn chair, all my tools, ice chest :blah:

Just checked the weather. It gets pretty hot up there. Last month it was in the 90's in the shade and I saw 250 degrees on the water temp for the first time ever.

Its gonna be 103.

103 in mid-freaking September.

Krap. Thank God the paddock area has a great big steel canopy over it to keep people from dropping dead from the heat. I guess I'll have no traction issues in the morning but by the afternoon it might get kinda greasy when people's tires start melting.

Gotta remember to park on the other side of the canopy than usual. I have a regular spot, but it gets the afternoon sun. This time that will be a whole new level of bad.

Trojan
09-10-2009, 01:11 PM
Good luck Dude!! Tear that place up!

Mighty Noid
09-10-2009, 01:15 PM
well since I am jobless for the moment... I was thinking about going to see you have a blast... but then I saw where it was.... that is just a bit to far...LOL

:)

Have a great time bud!!

JarZ
09-10-2009, 01:18 PM
Plus your car is black. Scorcher

Ron380
09-10-2009, 01:19 PM
Have fun Matt! Drink lotsa water, and Gatorade, then drink some more! :)

I guess the Frankcoolers are going to get the "acid test" this time!

Carfinish
09-10-2009, 01:21 PM
2.17.69...... good luck and have fun Matt :racing:

MAGNUM8R
09-10-2009, 01:35 PM
Go get 'em Matt!:racing:

Make us proud as always Man!!:rock:

CircuitMotorsports
09-10-2009, 02:18 PM
Are you running a larger radiator?

I think I read that you have an external oil cooler correct?

Have fun!

RobAGD
09-10-2009, 02:46 PM
LOL - Yea he is running the Export HD SRT Radiator, Trans cooler, Oil Cooler and PS Cooler and I think if he could manage it a driver seat cooler :D

_R

MOL SRT-8
09-10-2009, 02:51 PM
matt, have fun and be safe.

remember racing on the sun is better then not racing at all. lol

MikeEast
09-10-2009, 02:55 PM
Does the A/C still work on the Blacque Rhinoceros?

I'd assume that AC on the track is a no-no, as it is for drag racing, but one has to wonder if the drag of having all the windows open is less than running the compressor?

Mike

xevilpetex
09-10-2009, 03:30 PM

I'd assume that AC on the track is a no-no, as it is for drag racing, but one has to wonder if the drag of having all the windows open is less than running the compressor?

Mike

The windows are required to be open no matter what the conditions. It sucks the most when you have a rain day.

ET1970
09-10-2009, 05:51 PM
Definitely let us know how the frankencooler does its job. Have fun and good luck!

MattRobertson
09-10-2009, 06:19 PM
Well guys, if you want to see how it works, just look to the Frankencooler thread. Its been in place for over two years and those years have seen a dozen track days each, including some hot ones. This will just be the hottest.

Tranny temps in particular are massively under control and drop like a rock with both coolers in play. Oil temps no longer require pitting (as frequently as every three laps on Willow Springs, according to Meister) and the power steering system is still on its stock 2005 pump. Never a failure after dozens of days.

BUT the water system is pretty close to strained to what I would call a comfortable limit at the end of a track session when the temp in the shade was in the mid 90's at this track last month. It cools off *amazingly* fast, as does the tranny and oil systems with the dual coolers, but its now getting up there... but only at the end of a session where there are high ambient temps and when driving really really hard.

Without the Frankencooler setup I'd be in the paddock plain and simple.

Stack Performance wants an ungodly amount of money for their radiator. $800. Ron Davis Radiators will build me a custom one to my spec for about $600 but I have to supply a blank for fitment and I don't have one. Yet.

If I can survive this day without undue inconvenience I'll stick with the Maximum Duty radiator and leave things as they are. Its unusual to be running in this kind of heat and I don't want to blow a grand over something I do only once a year.

hemiwagn
09-11-2009, 08:27 PM
Best of luck Matt. Hopefully you will have some track photog pics of your usual overtaking of porsches and vipers

MattRobertson
09-12-2009, 01:11 AM
man am I bushed. The Thunder Hill lap record fell today. Actually I didn't just beat the record. I beat it bad, insulted its mother and ravished its sister.

I got the required pic of the lap time. Too tired to resize it and post it up... but it went from 2:17.69 to 2:12.31. About 5 1/2 seconds off. And the previous record was on slicks too, so it wasn;t the tires.

And yeah, I overheated. Kept going but saw 255 and pegged the water gauge. Had to back off or blow. It wasn't 103 at the track. It was 104. More on that too.

And if the video I took turns out anything like it should... I have some awesome stuff to post up.

FactoryD
09-12-2009, 01:17 AM
subbed

Mighty Noid
09-12-2009, 01:18 AM
AWESOME Matt!!

Congrats and I hope that you didn't hurt the Magnum to much...

MattRobertson
09-12-2009, 01:38 AM
Its running just fine. After the last session I drove it home for 4 hrs. The coolant looks pretty nasty.

I was able to go back out on track and essentially modulate the water temp. As it climbed up and touched 250 I backed off, worked on being smooth. Upshifted and let it run at lower revs. Got it down into the 240's, and when I got it into the paddock it sank right back down to 200 or so.

Hmmm. Maybe a 160 tstat would help. At least it might take longer to get to the uber temp. Might be all I need. I was able to run about 12 mins before I hit 245-250.

oh, and I just realized... I was pretty much the fastest car on the track (everyone was telling me that anyway), but I wasn't passed by anyone. Ever. Not one the whole day. Thats a first. One guy with a really fast Porsche who was in the next spot over in the paddock told me he'd passed pretty much the whole field (it was thinning out by afternoon due to the heat) except for me, cuz I blew by him. Nobody could believe the grip I had in the corners, and a game of tag with a big Ferrari apparently got everyone worked up cuz people were coming up to me the rest of the day telling me how awesome it was to watch. Got it on video so we'll see what we can from inside the car. Thats one I wish I had on an exterior cam from the stands.

hemiwagn
09-12-2009, 06:41 AM
Congrats Matt -- I continue to say nobody is harder on these cars, for hours and hours on end, than you are. And THEN you drive it 4 hours home. Way to go man!

Just thought of something - do you have a spare waterpump? not sure how many miles you have on your car, but it may be something to consider. ALL that cooling relys on that little composite plastic like vane inside the aluminum housing. Mine cracked (not broke) after a day at the drags. Would not spin efficiently at cruising rpms, but was okay a high rpms (i.e. car cooled at 3500 rpm but overheated, 260F, at 1800 rpm). Hence it was a bitch to diagnose since it seemed counter intuitive. Anyway, I bought a spare for $100 bucks. Not exactly something you can change at the side of the road easily, but something to think about is all.

Gabe
09-12-2009, 07:17 AM
Awesome, Matt !!! :racing:

Looking forward to the pics / video :mrgreen: :rock:

Ron380
09-12-2009, 09:32 AM
Woo Hoo! Way ta go, Matt! :pepper: <- (fried pepper from the heat!) :not_worth :thumbs_u:

CoolVanilla
09-12-2009, 09:43 AM
Right on brutha!!

When was your last full shakedown? Might be ready for a little time at dry dock?

PS: Do me a favor and email me the link once you get the full writeup posted please.

formerice
09-12-2009, 08:07 PM
Matt, are you using ( Water Wetter) in your coolant? I'm a diesel guy and there are other additives like (Nal Cool) that help keep things cooler and reduce liner cavitation. Any possibility of adding an electric booster water pump? Anyway, congrats.:thumbs_u:

MattRobertson
09-12-2009, 09:29 PM
I've used water wetter before. No real noticeable diff. And you need to use the stuff with plain water and not coolant, which makes me wonder if I'm gaining any ground (what I am using, BTW, is straight factory coolant in recommended mix).

Booster pump? Huh?

MattRobertson
09-12-2009, 09:32 PM
When was your last full shakedown? Might be ready for a little time at dry dock?About a month ago. Had it in to put in longer wheel studs in the front and tweak a few other things... and look stuff over. We're talking about some other minor league maintenance. I'm thinking a coolant flush is up at bat but we'll see after I talk to Bob on Monday.

Damn. Now that comment right there proves beyond a doubt you are a man of long memory. :-)

Yeah AC still works... I sure did appreciate it on the drive home. But since the requirement on track is for all windows to be down, I didn't bother there.

Ron380
09-12-2009, 11:43 PM
Hey Matt- given the power you put down on the track, you wouldn't want the a/c on anyway... but FYI- I've found in my convertible that with the top down, if it gets too cold or too hot, windows up with the heat or a/c really helps quite a bit! ;)

So are you recovered yet? :)

MikeEast
09-14-2009, 08:41 PM
(Does the A/C still work on the Blacque Rhinoceros?)

Damn. Now that comment right there proves beyond a doubt you are a man of long memory. :-)

Yeah AC still works... I sure did appreciate it on the drive home. But since the requirement on track is for all windows to be down, I didn't bother there.

I tend to remember some pretty obscure stuff from time to time - and when I run across a phrase or a sentence that makes sense, it kinda sticks. Sometimes they end up in my sig file too - there have been some classic lines in this forum since it started, and you have uttered a number of the very best of 'em.

That was from the 'I flew past a Porsche... (http://www.lxforums.com/board/showthread.php?t=57283&highlight=flew+past+porsche)' thread you did a long time back that was (as usual) very well written, entertaining and descriptive to say the least. Your description of how your RT shifted is exactly what I've been after for mine.

Heck, that episode might be one reason you got into road-course racing even...

Mike

MattRobertson
09-14-2009, 09:55 PM
Heck, that episode might be one reason you got into road-course racing even...
There's no 'might' about it. The B&G PCM came out of the car that night, and I resolved to only take it to the track from then on. In CA its a seized and crushed auto (you get to keep the payments) if you are caught like I was and actually written up for it.

The rest is history.