PDA

View Full Version : Bosch 044 Fuel Pump Flow

351Freak
03-29-2009, 10:13 AM
Here are the results of my personal test of the Bosch "044" Motorsport fuel pump.

The pump is designed as an in-line pump with Female M18 x 1.5 inlet threads and Female m12 x 1.5 outlet threads. It is supplied with a banjo-bolt / one-way valve on the outlet (this is removable) The outlet port size is just under 3/16" in diameter. The pump can be submerged for in-tank use.
The (+) terminal is a male threaded stud with m6 x 1.0 threads. The (-) terminal is a male threaded stud with m5 x .8 threads.

I am told this a stock replacement pump for several turbo Porsche vehicles. It is the size of a soda can...literally.

My test rig was a 5 gallon pail of water @ 65 degres F with the pump submersed with a sock filter on the inlet. The outlet was adapted to 1/8" NPT 90 degree hose barb x 5/16" ID hose. The 1/8" NPT fitting ID is considerably larger than the ID of the supplied adapters. The hose was 3' in length to a ball valve used to regulate pressure. Pressure was monitored via an in-line pressure gauge. VOltage was monitored via a digital multimeter.

Water exited the ball valve via 6" of rubber hose and was dumped into a 2-gallon gas can (it was actually 2 gallons-8 ounces...so there is some padding there as well). The time to fill at various pressures and voltages was datalogged.

Based on internet research, the correction factor for converting water flow to fuel flow is based off of the specific gravity of the fuel in question (regular gasoline @ 0.739). The corrections resulted in an increas to the observed flow rates by 18.5%. I rounded down to 15%, padding the numbers yet again.

Voltage was as follows:
13 volts from 12 volt battery on manual charger on low seting.

16 volts from 12 volt battery on manual charger on hi setting.

18 volts from 12 volt battery with manual charger set on 6 volts and set inline with 12 volt battery.

Bottom line...pump is sufficient for darn near anything you want to do...at any pressure and nearly any voltage.

Multiply the lb/hr figure x 2 to get a ballpark estimate of HP potential.

Here's the chart:

http://i39.tinypic.com/j5i1kw.jpg

-Freak
:magburno: