PDA

View Full Version : Laguna Seca LXForums Lap Record Falls. Hard.

MattRobertson
02-25-2009, 10:27 PM
So, today was the day. On Feb 12 I ran Laguna Seca in what was a Test N Tune for today. What was I TnT'ing? Myself, and the new Hoosier R6 road racing slicks that I got from Josh at HHP (http://lxforums.com/board/showthread.php?t=151001).

The day went well (results are in the thread linked above). Very well. However, while I could say that I unofficially broke the LXF record on that day (there was no timing allowed, but I ran a stopwatch and a time index on the in-car video and it looked like I had a wiener in there... but we have all agreed that videos don't count, so thats that), I had a lot of work to do. The tires brought about a total change in how I drove the course, and I was only just beginning to understand what to do about it by the time the day ended.

Still, I had the video and I looked it over very closely. One thing was clear: I could now run in 3rd gear in places where I was running in 2nd, and that was the core of what had to change: Go faster. Don't crash. Easy, right?

Today's event was run by Green Flag Driving, and it was my first time with this vendor. My impression of them is that they are a very competent bunch. It seemed to me that these guys very much catered to the more experienced track driver. Very no-nonsense. Adults only, and you were expected to either know how to handle yourself or to have brought along someone who shepherd you along. There was a problem with the day, unfortunately: Light turnout, attendance-wise. There were only 16 drivers in the novice group, 8 in the intermediate group, which I was in, and 10 in the Advanced/Race Prep group.

When I heard this I was drooling. Only 8 cars on track? This would be perfect if you are going for time.

Unfortunately, this was the part where they announced they were combining the beginner and intermediate groups. 24 drivers, and 16 of them tyros. I'm totally screwed.

Or not. They then asked "Who wants to bump up to Advanced?" Three drivers opted in and with a little bit of trepidation, so did I. I was now in a group with 14 drivers.

Whats with this trepidation business? Well, first of all, there's what goes on in Advanced groups, and then there's what goes on in Advanced groups at Laguna Seca. I'll explain. Advanced group driving is made up of the really fast guys. The guys who drive race cars. The not-street-legal kind. These guys are REALLY fast, they do this a lot and they will blow the doors off of... well pretty much everybody. Now. What happens in Advanced groups at Laguna Seca? Advanced tends to be a little more Advanced than usual. Amateur and professional racing teams doing their own race prep work. Supercars. Track rats who seem to live on four wheels spinning like mad. And thats not all. Nooooo. The gentlemanly thing we do in the lower castes when we want to pass somebody - the venerated point-by - does not exist in Advanced. Its open passing. There were some limits (no passing in corners, and no going 3-cars-wide) but regardless this is a major step up in the driving environment. Also the usual passing zones (big safe straightaways) were out the window. Most places on the track except curves themselves qualified as passing-allowed.

So I was a little concerned, but this was the only option available. And besides, I could always step down to the other group if Ihad to. I had to try it.

Lastly, since we had only two run groups, the track schedule was hugely simplified. Novices ran at the top of the hour. Advanced ran at the bottom. Repeating every hour and breaking at 12 for lunch. This worked out to SIX sessions... and those were six 30-minute sessions (the way they worked it, we gridded up during the novice run, and hit the track while they were still exiting, so it really was a 30-minute session). Six 30-minute sessions. Thats an enormous amount of time, and 30-minute sessions would let me try stuff, see if it worked and work my way into a happy place.

The only problem: This was six 30-minute sessions on Laguna Seca. This course eats brakes and it eats gas. 20-minute sessions can be hard to get thru without boiling brake fluid. 30? Thats gonna leave a mark.

So 9:30 rolls around, I have the tires on the car, my transmitter set up, my receiver installed in-car, my video camera set up and properly tethered... I'm ready. I grid up with a field of... mostly race cars. I better stay in the back. So I did. And off we went. And I was really pleased to do damn well, considering the company I was keeping. Later in the day I was gratified to hear one of the track workers tell me I was turning in good times, running a good line and I belonged in the race group. Big ego boost right there.

And after the first session, I was on the phone to Cam, and texting CV. What was I saying?

The LXF Laguna Seca Lap record... which I set (I can't help myself I have to say that) was 1:53.7. What had it just changed to?

http://lelandwest.com/auto-tech/magnum/laguna022509_15010.jpg

That my friends is a 3.6 second improvement on the record. I was damn pleased with myself.

I was also pretty pissed off. As many know, my longtime, impossible dream - since the first time I drove this track as a total noob, laps well in excess of two minutes - was to get a sub-1:50 lap time. You get into the 1:40's on this track and you are doing good no matter who you are talking to. Considering where we all as LX drivers come in on this track, a 1:49.999 seemed crazy. And I was so damn close! All I need was a lousy 11 hundredths! BAAAAAH!

Cam, by the way, thought this was absolutely hilarious. He repeated early and often some crap like "haha now you know how us drag racers feel about tenths." Bastage.

The day went on, and while I was getting better, I wasn't getting any faster, really. I turned in a 1:50.88, and 1:51's all over the place. I was getting the whole 3rd-gear, go-faster thing right down pat. I was surviving the 30-minute sessions (trick was, just get down to 2nd gear and the tires can get me thru the corner from there... no need to use the brakes, which were kinda fried, anyway). Finally, after a session where I threw everything I had at the track, and got a string of 1:51's, it was clear I wasn't going to beat it. I pulled in, pissed, and gave Cam another call.

"Maybe this is all you're going to get out of the car and you've reached your new level" says he.

"f**k you." Says I, and went off to bleed my brakes. While I am at it, I call out to the racing gods and tell them that, if I just get a 1:49.999 I can be happy, quit and go home. This I swear before the grinning drivers in the near vicinity.

So I get back on the track, I get a good open interval in front of me, and this guy in a Mustang racer who I absolutely blew away earlier in the day seems to have dialed in his car. He's coming in fast in my mirror and he's probably not going to wave when he goes by. Only he's not on me yet. I get it going. Damn this is fun. And I'm losing him. I have to slow down a little for an open-cockpit Lotus that has to get by me, but the two of us had a pretty good race going. If I had it video'd (I ran out of tape earlier... 30-minute sessions. I was also on my last 1/2 tank of gas).

Until I pretty much cooked my brakes. Basically what I did was drive hard and fast like when I had street tires on. Only I was going a LOT faster now. 105 mph coming up to the braking zone for the Corkscrew, for example. Thats nucking futts.

But as I pulled off he was waving at me and giving me the thumbs up. We both had one hell of a lot of fun. And...

http://lelandwest.com/auto-tech/magnum/laguna022509_14964.jpg

I kept my promise to the racing gods and quit for the day. But ... I'm not done yet. And I'll be back.

(p.s.: widescreen video is in production now)

PaCharger
02-25-2009, 10:32 PM
kudos Matt! Great write up and results. Can't imagine racing that hard for 30 minutes at a clip, crap, i can barely concentrate enough to run two 12.x second hot lap 1/4 mile runs :mrgreen:

Keep at it!

Hemi31
02-25-2009, 10:39 PM
F**king Awesome Matt!!!!!!!! They still pissed off at the guy in the station wagon?

Motor
02-25-2009, 10:47 PM
looking forward to the video....my dream to race a mag like that:)

CoolVanilla
02-25-2009, 10:57 PM
Ahhhhhhhhhh there it is!!!! Mondo freaking gratz brutha! You're setting records I'm not sure will ever be sniffed at by anybody else in an LX. You simply are the man, man.

Sincere congrats on the personal milestone Matt. You've earned it buddy. Hot dam you've earned it.

Shelby
02-25-2009, 10:59 PM
Ouch! That is crazy for a wagon. People must think you are nuts, racing that car with those cars and those people....just a little special!

RobAGD
02-25-2009, 11:01 PM
Matt AWSOME !!!

hehehe that .46 is what makes those footballs so special

Savor it brother.... Any gawkers ?

-R

hemiwagn
02-25-2009, 11:17 PM
MONDO congrats Matt. Very well deserved and excellent story telling as usual.

Cam and hundredths -- he IS a bastage -- as in the good kind of bastage of course!

MattRobertson
02-25-2009, 11:21 PM
F**king Awesome Matt!!!!!!!! They still pissed off at the guy in the station wagon?You know, I got none of that today. I got a fair bit of attention from, of all places, the corner workers. When I did my 1:50 run I was really surprised to see some of the corner workers in the towers giving me the ol' shaking thumbs-up along with a wave. They all have radios and I have no idea what they were talking about, but it only happened once and it was like a half dozen of them.

Ouch! That is crazy for a wagon. People must think you are nuts, racing that car with those cars and those people....just a little special!Yeah, I get that a lot, but what I don't get anymore is the look-down-the-nose. I'm realistic about it. When they ask WTF I was thinking making this into a race car, I tell 'em I know it will never hit the big time, but its just damn fun to be able to prove it can be done, and to do it. Last time I was there, we were talking about how to handle Turn 2 (the Andretti Hairpin) in the drivers download meeting. The discussion turned to my car and how the typical way to make the turn -- a double apex -- was second-best for a big car like mine. Instead I should go deep and wide into the first part of the turn and blow the apex on purpose. Then heel back in hard and make the second apex late, which sets you up in a straight line so you can pour on the power down the short straight into Turn 3. I replied that yeah I knew that, but it was just too much fun to corner inside of a guy in a Cooper S and know he can see me do it right behind him in his mirror. The instructor responded that thats the way for guys like us to run the track. Have fun first (and yeah I did it the other way all day today... you'll see it on the video).

Savor it brother.... Any gawkers ?
I had the usual slow trickle of people come over and ask about the car. But this was a pretty experienced group and they were more focused on their own gigs.

hey while the video is downloading from the camera, here's a couple pics:

Exiting Turn 3. The Skip Barber racing school is the blurry sign in the background. Important thing here is to not go off the edge of the track. It always is but right here its particularly problematic given the nature of the unbanked corner and... the cement wall that figures prominently in-picture.

http://lelandwest.com/auto-tech/magnum/laguna022509_01.jpg

I think this is the short straight between 3 and 4.

http://lelandwest.com/auto-tech/magnum/laguna022509_02.jpg

Nailing Turn 4. Looks like I'm about to shave this one a little close on the inside. There's almost no weight on the car on the inside but still you don't want to overdo that.

http://lelandwest.com/auto-tech/magnum/laguna022509_03.jpg

And here's that Mustang. This pic was taken during the 1:49 run. I saw the photographer there while I was whizzing past. I have about 5 shots all like this. He stayed on me and after through the whole session until I bailed. Props to him.

http://lelandwest.com/auto-tech/magnum/laguna022509_04.jpg

Note I'm taking a wider line down the Corkscrew on purpose. Taking it in tight like I've been doing can, I've been warned, get the car airborne under the right circumstances. Remember the pic from last time where the spoiler is 3/4" off the ground? Thats cuz the front end is diving after sailing high. So I'm still going in tight left on the racers line entering the Corkscrew, but I'm swinging a little wider and coming back in right as I sail down.

Magnum Power
02-25-2009, 11:22 PM
Great write up. Made me feel like I was there watching. Congrats on beating your time goal and making a new one.

Ron380
02-25-2009, 11:30 PM
Ahhhhhhhhhh there it is!!!! Mondo freaking gratz brutha! You're setting records I'm not sure will ever be sniffed at by anybody else in an LX. You simply are the man, man.

Sincere congrats on the personal milestone Matt. You've earned it buddy. Hot dam you've earned it.

Couldn't have said it better myself!! :sosayweall:

CONGRATULATIONS Matt!! :not_worth :not_worth Out-Freakin'-Standing!! :thumbs_u: :rock:

Oh... and don't sell yourself short there buddy... "Mostly not-street-legal" cars?! Step back and take a good look at that beastie you've tamed! Electric-cooled brake-ducts... high-capacity cooling systems... totally customized exhaust and suspension... major-league-built engine... IT'S A FREAKING RACE-CAR!!!

Enjoy it! You've earned it! And in the process, given the rest of us reams of information, weeks worth of testing, and hours of enjoyment! :beerchug: :friday:

:mrgreen:

Hey, that last pic is a great shot of your ghost-flames! They look hot n' angry! hehe

Steve Levin
02-25-2009, 11:30 PM
Very cool! Sounds like you had a lot of fun. I've driving on Green Flag days a couple of times; aside from the driver's meetings that take foooooooooooooooorrrrrrrrrr eveeeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr r Major Tom is fairly okay.

Steve

MikeEast
02-25-2009, 11:53 PM
That's just way cool Dude - serious numbers indeed!!

Ever try that beast at the dragstrip? Would be interesting to see what it would do there too...

<right-click, save-as>

Excellent pics too...

Mike

edit: Would it go faster with the windows up? Mine does...

MattRobertson
02-26-2009, 12:15 AM
Ever try that beast at the dragstrip? Would be interesting to see what it would do there too...
naaah. Drag racing is not my thing. The car is not set up for it. Its meant to handle an incredible beating. As such, I have a tune that puts me into the high 11's, low 12's in AFR. I give up some power to keep the motor in one piece. And on and on. The two oil coolers. The two tranny coolers. The ps cooler. The huge radiator. You need none of that stuff on the strip.

But those 26" slicks would grip. No question about that. Too much maybe. I have stock half-shafts and thats safe for my application. Not for strip racing.

Would it go faster with the windows up? Mine does...Maybe. But if you crash you've potentially sealed yourself into a burning car. Opening the windows is a typical safety requirement in road racing. Lets the emergency crew get to you asap.

Video is 13% complete. 55 minutes remaining according to the counter. Its gonna be done in widescreen xbox format. Something like 1260 px wide in 100% size format. Projected size is 1.5 gigabytes so I hope you guys have broadband :-)

lou1355
02-26-2009, 12:32 AM
Dang, Matt! What a nicely written and exciting post about a nicely prepped and executed day at the track.

That does it...I'm definitely going to have to put Laguna Seca on my bucket list.

Tell me more about those Hoosiers, please.

FlyByU
02-26-2009, 12:43 AM
Awesome, congrats.

BigHemi06
02-26-2009, 12:46 AM
Congrats Matt awesome run !!

MAGFX
02-26-2009, 12:55 AM
Congrats young man. That just has to be a fantastic feeling. Cheers to you, Matt!

MattRobertson
02-26-2009, 01:12 AM
Tell me more about those Hoosiers, please.
We're literally still writing that book. I've been talking with Hoosier from the start about whether these tires will work in the first place, and once the answer came back 'yes' how we can make them work best. They literally didn't know. Nobody has used them on a car this heavy and so I get to be the pioneer.

To give you an example of how crazy this is: The recommendation I got from the R6 engineer was

(ready?)

45 psi cold pressure, expecting 55 hot. That was the starting point. I got excessive side wear from hard cornering, but the wear was within the dots. No rollover. Just not enough pressure. I think I fixed that today. With all the track time I had, I don't think I wore the tires as much as I did in 1/2 a day with them inflated to 45 psi cold.

I don;t want to say any more until I talk to Hoosier and hear their take on what I did. Probably tomorrow. This is something that is going to get its own thread I think.

RobAGD
02-26-2009, 01:19 AM
Hey Matt do you have your track images up in a gallery someplace ?

-R

Junior
02-26-2009, 01:27 AM
Holy crap.

concussion
02-26-2009, 02:05 AM
Matt, Congratulations.

okay, that out of the way... WTF??!?!?!?!?!?!?
You're not in a normal car... that damn beast!!! Oh Matt you're where I want to be... gimmie another year or so and I'll be ready for the track.

so stoked.

congrats, congrats, congrats.

Mighty Noid
02-26-2009, 02:12 AM
Matt... I am very happy for you... congrats buddy...

firewater will be waiting for you!!

:)

CT-MSRT
02-26-2009, 10:41 AM
that's friggin amazing. Huge congrats on your achievement! We all expect you to continue down into the 1:40's now blazing a path for overweight luxury wagons everywhere. Now that you have plenty of traction, its time for more power!!!

MattRobertson
02-26-2009, 10:47 AM
OK here is the first video (http://lelandwest.com/auto-tech/magnum/laguna022509_01.wmv). This contains the 1:50 run and is the first of the day. I am just figuring out what the hell to do with the car.

Early on you'll see me chase down a silver Lotus, and then, later, get passed by a silver Lotus. Two different cars. One couldn't catch me all day. One I couldn't catch all day.
Check out the old Cougar that blows by me early in the video (no I don't mean a hot milf... get your mind out of the gutter). That guy was running 1:44's
You'll see me chase around some Miatas that don't want to give in without a fight. I don't know what these guys are putting in those cars, a blower, a turbo, extra squirrels... but some of them are damn hard to catch.
Note there are no tire chirps as I upshift on the front straight anymore. Traction good. Chirps bad. Plus I don't go down into 1st gear anymore.
Watch for the motor to go quiet after the Corkscrew. I slowly figured out where to shift into 3rd going down the hill. This a) drops my rpm's and b) shoots me out of a cannon on that long 5-story downhill. By the end of the day I was using the go pedal to wind it up to 6000 rpms and then shift into 3rd... on a steep downhill with sharp curves.
If you see a giant snake attacking the world, thats my lens cap line swinging horizontal. Best thing to do is let it hang down so it doesn't rattle, and its kinda zany when every once in a while I notice its 'hanging' horizontally.
When you hear me cussing at the Corvette, its cuz he hung me up on a good lap just long enough to spoil my time.
The 'muahaha' is me reading the 1:50.10 time at the first moment its safe to look down.
Last lap is a cooldown. Deliberately slow.

And remember... this is a 30-minute, large format widescreen video. it is 1.5 GB. Don't even think about streaming it. right click, save as and watch it off your desktop. But when you get it, it will be 1260 px wide and clear as a bell. If thats too wide, right-click on the screen while its playing and switch to 50% size and it will be even more clear.

Oh and yes I remembered to clean my windshield.

lou1355
02-26-2009, 10:51 AM
Matt: did I miss the part where you discussed the cold tire pressures you ended up running with?

Also, I'm attracted to the Hoosier R6 in 315/40/19 for my mile runs, but I can't for the life of me find a 5-115 rim wide enough to fit one properly (10.5 - 11.5). Any ideas?

MattRobertson
02-26-2009, 10:54 AM
Matt: did I miss the part where you discussed the cold tire pressures you ended up running with?

Also, I'm attracted to the Hoosier R6 in 315/40/19 for my mile runs, but I can't for the life of me find a 5-115 rim wide enough to fit one properly (10.5 - 11.5). Any ideas?Noop. Read my response to your post. I'm staying away from this until I talk to Hoosier. Tire pressures are well over the max. Once I get some feedback from them today I'll spill the beans all in one post.

lou1355
02-26-2009, 11:00 AM
Gotcha. How about any insights you have on some wheels for the 19" Hoosier R6's? I'm coming up with zippity nada online.

BTW, it's taking me roughly 40 minutes to download your vid even with a 5-7 megabit per second cable connection. For some reason I'm only getting 615 kb/sec download speed. There must be speed limiters in this operation that I'm not aware of.

MattRobertson
02-26-2009, 11:10 AM
Gotcha. How about any insights you have on some wheels for the 19" Hoosier R6's? I'm coming up with zippity nada online.

BTW, it's taking me roughly 40 minutes to download your vid even with a 5-7 megabit per second cable connection. For some reason I'm only getting 615 kb/sec download speed. There must be speed limiters in this operation that I'm not aware of.
Tire Rack had some, but it was nothing I would trust my car on. The Borbet's are damn strong and they are 18x8.5... an affordable, strong 8.5 wheel is unusual and an 18x9 doesn't exist unless you want it custom built. The 19's I could find had no pedigree for strength and thats a big deal in road courses. Wasn't willing to guess.

Check the thread linked in Post #1 (http://lxforums.com/board/showthread.php?t=151001). It covers wheels and tires some more. There's a lot in there on my conversations up to now with Hoosier, too.

---

As for bandwidth throttling, there's none on my server. If a lot of people are hitting it then its apportioning capacity thru the network. Thats a little scary :-)

Carfinish
02-26-2009, 11:11 AM
just dropping to say congrats Matt :beerchug:...come back to read this later... i'll get the balls and thread finalized very very late tonight. :rock:

MattRobertson
02-26-2009, 11:15 AM
Here is the second video (http://lelandwest.com/auto-tech/magnum/laguna022509_02.wmv). There's a little more traffic in this one, so its more fun to watch, and I'm slowly adjusting my driving/gearing to higher speeds. It ends a little early due to a black flag after a crash. You can see the Porsche that fubar'd off to the right just past the bridge in the front straight when I say "waving black flag".

Because the above video ended early, I have some footage from the third run, which was, naturally, one of the best in terms of zooming thru traffic. I don't know how much of it I got before the tape ran out. I'll see when I get in tonight.

MattRobertson
02-26-2009, 11:16 AM
just dropping to say congrats Matt :beerchug:...come back to read this later... i'll get the balls and thread finalized very very late tonight. :rock:
You rock dude! If its the diff between getting out a football and getting some sleep... sack out.

Ron380
02-26-2009, 11:17 AM
Hey Matt... on those Miata's-- When I was up at Backstreet Perf. getting my Pedders installed, he had several Miata's getting an LS1 motor installed!! :panic: Apparantly that's a fairly "normal" upgrade for those little skates! So don't feel bad if they're hard to keep up with. ;)

CT-MSRT
02-26-2009, 11:43 AM
Hey Matt... on those Miata's-- When I was up at Backstreet Perf. getting my Pedders installed, he had several Miata's getting an LS1 motor installed!! :panic: Apparantly that's a fairly "normal" upgrade for those little skates! So don't feel bad if they're hard to keep up with. ;)

yeah, seriously i've seen those cars coming out of corners like they were shot out of a cannon. When my old friend took me around lime rock park in his 911 turbo he races we had one of those slingshot by us like he missed a gear. Not much left of the original car but the frame and body at that point, but that's kinda the fun part about racing. You never know whats under the hood of a Magnum or a Miata, you just "run what you bring and hope its enough".

TxSwimDad
02-26-2009, 11:51 AM
And here's that Mustang. This pic was taken during the 1:49 run. I saw the photographer there while I was whizzing past. I have about 5 shots all like this. He stayed on me and after through the whole session until I bailed. Props to him.

http://lelandwest.com/auto-tech/magnum/laguna022509_04.jpg

Note I'm taking a wider line down the Corkscrew on purpose. Taking it in tight like I've been doing can, I've been warned, get the car airborne under the right circumstances. Remember the pic from last time where the spoiler is 3/4" off the ground? Thats cuz the front end is diving after sailing high. So I'm still going in tight left on the racers line entering the Corkscrew, but I'm swinging a little wider and coming back in right as I sail down.

Wahoo!!!! Congrats Buddy. THat is dang fast on that course. About being airborn! I saw one do that lsat year at the Rolex Historics when a car went totally off the ground and he cut inside the apron. I was sitting behind the camera mans window.

Thanks for the discriptive report! I can almost see those runs from here.

Les K

done
02-26-2009, 12:04 PM
Well, well well! Not bad for one of the "middle aged, pot bellied, bald guys" :beerchug: I knew him when!

lou1355
02-26-2009, 02:25 PM
Thank you for the videos, Matt--it was almost like being there. Really helped me get a bit of a feel for the course.

I'll try to return the favor when/if I run Sebring in May.

Carfinish
02-26-2009, 03:30 PM
ah....you got me .... as you know I just jumped in here earlier and saw the length of the read and bailed...but i took the time off the first image first post....figured I'd surprise you and make your football (before starting the thread tonight)...so I did.....while having lunch I come back to read the thread in entirety and boom I get hit with the 1.49.64.... to fricken cool ....way to go Matt:beerchug:

that was an awesome read...now I gotta finish downloading and reading the video posts...tonight....enjoy :friday:

TehKing
02-26-2009, 03:43 PM
Conga-rats to you, Matt!

http://striker.interhact.net/images/conga_rats.gif

You're my new hero.

Junior
02-26-2009, 05:12 PM
Well, well well! Not bad for one of the "middle aged, pot bellied, bald guys" :beerchug: I knew him when!

HA! But where's the wing?

MattRobertson
02-26-2009, 05:15 PM
HA! But where's the wing?
Can I point it?

For anyone who desn't get the inside joke, search for "helicopter". It ought to come up somewhere in there.

Hey guys, this is important: If anyone has any purchase/use plans on these tires... WAIT. I'm sorting something out with Hoosier right now.

R/T 4 Me
02-26-2009, 05:35 PM
congrats Matt, that is awesome. Thanks for sharing.

TTMR
02-26-2009, 08:18 PM
Dagum Matt, bet you wish you'd had those tires for a while now. Perhaps I'll look at these instead of the BFG slicks I have now...

SMKG HOT
02-26-2009, 11:38 PM
Good Job Matt........WTG. (But you know that from our talk the other night).

Very Cool :beerchug: Walt

TTMR
02-28-2009, 01:00 AM
Wow Matt, great Video! Now I can see why you don't want us AWD's running around out there. With a little work on the car and a LOT on the driver we might just be a threat, it sure gets TIGHT in several places!

Looks like regardless of what you work out with Hoosier you had you religious experiecne!

Ron380
02-28-2009, 10:03 AM
I think we could (eventually) hold the corners well, but we're just not going to have the power he has to climb those two long hills... No matter what we do to a V6, we're not going to beat a 392 Stroker!

Especially considering we only do track days where passing is limited to the straights... we'd never get past him. Sure would be fun to run with ya though, Matt!

ujokin2
02-28-2009, 10:40 AM
AAh I think the video is the closest feel I will have to the road track...LOL:panic:

You all road racers have fun! :rock:

Great video !

legmaker
02-28-2009, 03:56 PM
awesome times, awesome write up, and awesome pics (especially the one in the corkscrew)!!!

having been to that track as a spectator numerous times, it always amazes me how far of a drop the corkscrew at laguna seca is!! kudos to you matt!!

MattRobertson
02-28-2009, 04:20 PM
Ahhhhhhhhhh there it is!!!! Mondo freaking gratz brutha! You're setting records I'm not sure will ever be sniffed at by anybody else in an LX. Thx J, you need to be out there yourself. You would *love it*. TrackMasters has a day in April thats only $265.

aside from the driver's meetings that take foooooooooooooooorrrrrrrrrr eveeeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr r
Hah! So it wasn't just me imagining that. We didn't start until 9:30 I think. But on the bright side there was only the morning meeting and no downloads, so I could concentrate on the car and getting some relaxation time in between sessions.

Now that you have plenty of traction, its time for more [email protected] keeps trying to interest me in a blower he wants to build, and I keep trying to interest him in a car sponsorship. Neither one of us are getting anywhere. Funny thing is, I am in pretty good shape, power-wise. Sure you can always use more... but unless its a Z06 I do pretty well out of the hole.

Dagum Matt, bet you wish you'd had those tires for a while now. Perhaps I'll look at these instead of the BFG slicks I have now...
Stay tuned on that. Hoosier is taking this as an opportunity to learn and it looks as if they are going to be doing some inspection work on these tires to make sure we aren't seeing any stress failures. This application is well outside their design specs and, while I was given a green light to use them, everyone is taking a step back now that we have a couple of hours of track time on them and looking at this closely to make sure we're safe. I can say out loud what my pressures were now: 47 psi cold, which grew to 65 psi hot. At that temp the load rating of the tires is about where our XL street tires are. Not exactly a wide safety margin. If any. Stay tuned.

I think we could (eventually) hold the corners well, but we're just not going to have the power he has to climb those two long hills... No matter what we do to a V6, we're not going to beat a 392 Stroker!On the uphill, no you're not going to stand a chance I have to say. Neither do a LOT of other otherwise very high speed autos. Them's the breaks. But on the other hand there are corners and downhill segments that you -- and they-- can use to make up that lost ground. I certainly am not passing everybody, and I get passed by cars with less power that I don't pass back. So unlike drag racing there is far more going on here than the motor.

Especially considering we only do track days where passing is limited to the straights... we'd never get past him.
Thats only cuz you are running in novice groups. As you climb up into intermediate and advanced run groups you'll be allowed to do point-by passing everywhere, and eventually open passing everywhere. At least thats how the vendors work it out here.

CoolVanilla
02-28-2009, 04:25 PM
Thx J, you need to be out there yourself. You would *love it*. TrackMasters has a day in April thats only $265.
Check yer PMs my friend. :)

Ron380
02-28-2009, 04:41 PM
^^ Good Points Matt! :thumbs_u:

Tmagnum
03-01-2009, 03:01 AM
Hot Damn Matt!

I can't begin to tell you how envious I am, to see you take a Magnum around that track like you did is just unfrigginbelivable!

Congrats & Thanks for sharing !!! :not_worth :thumbs_u: :thumbs_u:

Steve Levin
03-03-2009, 06:21 PM
The key to both the T5-T6 and T6-T7 straights is corner exit speed. I think you guys with V6's, if all else was equal, might be closer than you think given the advantage in weight distribution (less weight on the nose). Another common thing people do which scrubs speed is to force the car back to the left way to early for the top of the hill. If you exit T6 out by the kerbing and just go straight, the track itself will curve under you and get you in the right position. Now, Matt doesn't have to worry so much with his power, but in the V6 you'll want to avoid scrubbing speed wherever you can.

That said, you REALLY have to respect that orange thingamabobber they use inside the kerbing at T6. I know of a couple of people that have clipped it at speed and bent suspension components and wheels. You want the inside tyres on the blue and white to take advantage of the banking, but better 6" wide than 1" tight there.

Steve

Coopers_Dad
03-03-2009, 07:28 PM
WOW that's one freaking amazing time!!! Congratulations!! My Magnum is due for it's first track experience at Mosport in June and again in August if all goes well this year.

Laguna is a dream to drive... I need to come to Cali

Ron380
03-03-2009, 10:12 PM
^^ How far are you from Watkins Glen? :wink:

I'm seriously considering a track day at the Glen in August!

http://www.phoenixcmr.com/events.htm

They have events listed for June and August. My June is kinda full, but August is completely open... for now... :cool:

Jaak
03-04-2009, 08:07 AM
What a great read Matt, and congrats on the time!!!!

mjr5150
03-04-2009, 09:19 AM
This thread and those videos is pure awesomeness . Congrats on your times and meeting your goals . The vids and pics were incredible . Nice to push the car past it's normal limits . Well done....great read ......:beerchug: - Mike

Ron380
03-04-2009, 10:37 AM
This thread and those videos is pure awesomeness . Congrats on your times and meeting your goals . The vids and pics were incredible . Nice to push the car past it's normal limits . Well done....great read ......:beerchug: - Mike

With everything Matt's done to that car, I'm not sure he's found it's "normal" limits yet... :thumbs_u:

:pepper: