PDA

View Full Version : Thunderhill Raceway: November 15

MattRobertson
09-26-2008, 01:19 PM
I'm signed up via Hooked on Driving. This is a Saturday event. I'll be staying overnight on Friday and driving back that night. Leaves me Sunday to sleep in at home. This is a really excellent track and it'll be my second day on it. I'm cleared for solo driving on this track and I'll hopefully be able to qualify for the more experienced B group this time out.

http://www.thunderhill.com/assets/images/trackmapnew02.jpg

MattRobertson
11-14-2008, 05:29 PM
Well, The car is all packed (actually, I never unpacked it from Buttonwillow a couple weeks ago) and I'm heading out in about 1/2 hr to get up there and do an early check-in. Staying at the Days Inn in Willows.

Talked to the track guys and my car will be one of six wired for video. Here's hoping that turns out cool. With any luck I will have some neat footage to show.

BobCrespo
11-14-2008, 07:02 PM
You changed the oil right?

Well, The car is all packed (actually, I never unpacked it from Buttonwillow a couple weeks ago) and I'm heading out in about 1/2 hr to get up there and do an early check-in. Staying at the Days Inn in Willows.

Talked to the track guys and my car will be one of six wired for video. Here's hoping that turns out cool. With any luck I will have some neat footage to show.

CRF450RR
11-14-2008, 09:53 PM
T-Hill is more fun on a motorcycle....

MattRobertson
11-15-2008, 01:00 AM
You changed the oil right?yes Dad. oil change before every track day.

T-Hill is more fun on a motorcycle....
what track isn't?

MattRobertson
11-16-2008, 02:50 AM
Well its late, I'm back, and I had one hell of a time. I got bumped up to Group B after the first session, which was nice, but everyone is faster of course so I went from looting and pillaging to waving as other cars drove by... until I got the hang of things thanks to some fantastic instruction. Group B help is different from A and I wound up learning how to take damn near the whole course in 3rd gear thanks to a guy named Bob who it turns out is the head marshal (o something similar) for the Monterey Historic races. Man did he ever know his stuff. Very simple and to the point and *fast* advice.

Line of the day (from him) as I was exiting a corner while running behind a GT 500:

Him: "Accelerate! ... (and I don't) Whats the matter? You afraid yer going to run into the back of the Mustang?"

Me: "Well, yeah!"

I've got video of chasing one of the two Shelbys around for about 4 laps with the guy trying to lose me finally almost spinning the car.

The last session was -- as they all are -- supposed to be a 9/10th's effort where you burn in the line you have learned for the day and come away with a positive experience. It didn't work out that way. Instead what happened was a line of a couple of Porsches, a Corvette, a Lotus, a Lamborghini ... and a station wagon ... all hammered it and we went at it pretty good. I have to admit I saw that lambo right in front of me, not getting away, and that was like waving a red flag to a bull. It was on. I had to catch and pass that guy. Sadly, as the both of us passed members of the field (and caught some new ones) he got thru traffic faster than I did, although for a while we got clear and I *was* catching him for awhile. That was very satisfying. If I had another 10 minutes and a couple booster rockets I'd have had him. But I did get a Porsche, the Corvette ... and the Lotus. Who I got in the straight and then couldn't catch me in the curves, although he defnitely gave it a shot. Seeing him fade back slowly but surely was a kick.

And I have it on video. Unfortunately that one has no sound. I need to figure out how to get it off the tape since I don't own a camcorder.

http://foohbar.com/magnum/th01.jpg

http://foohbar.com/magnum/th02.jpg

http://foohbar.com/magnum/th03.jpg

http://foohbar.com/magnum/th04.jpg

Trojan
11-16-2008, 03:00 AM
Sick dude! Way to represent!! Cant wait to see the video!!

MattRobertson
11-16-2008, 03:13 AM
oh btw see in that last picture another car has joined the two Shelbys chasing me? Thats a goat. He was in that last scramble but you won't see him on the video cuz he couldn't catch me.

Trojan
11-16-2008, 03:18 AM
you won't see him on the video cuz he couldn't catch me.

lol! Pretty sick dude, your becoming quit a force to be reckoned with out there, Bet you took alot of them by surprise. Make a man think twice about mess'n with the wagon, hehehe

CoolVanilla
11-16-2008, 09:59 AM
I've said it before, and I'll say it again... Matt you are the wind beneith my wings.

Gimme A few years buddy and you'll never solo one of these events again.

MikeEast
11-16-2008, 10:20 AM
That is so freaking cool - seeing a big-a$$ wagon out there on a real racetrack running with and ahead of cars that most folks would assume could kick your butt. Beating a Corvette, Porsche and a Lotus with a station wagon? That is some serious cool right there.

Love reading your accounts of running with the big dawgs - oh wait, WHO is the big dog there? :)

Mike

Steve Levin
11-17-2008, 05:55 PM
Looks like you had a great time out there! Sorry I was away and couldn't go. But I see you did some laps with Paul, who I happen to think is one of the best -- if not the best -- coach the HOD has. Way better than me, that's for sure. :)

Steve

CRF450RR
11-17-2008, 05:59 PM
Nice pics Matt....

MattRobertson
11-17-2008, 06:24 PM
Yeah thanks. They look great. I can't take any sort of credit for them. The track guy did them and I just bought the CD. $65. I was especially pleased that he got the flames to pop out. Nobody has done that on a track yet.

He'll be at Laguna on Dec 4 and I plan on buying another one.

Cool thing with that guy is he licenses them for personal use so I will be adding a bunch of crops of these shots into my sig library.

Steve, sorry I missed you. It was a great day. 80+ degrees so great traction.

My tires survived yet another day, so that makes 5 track days for the fronts and 4 for the rears, and I'm good for 6 at Laguna for the fronts. The rears, which I put on after I figured out tire pressures, look freaking beautiful and will be good for *well* past 6 days.
Brake pads survived but I'm not pushing the fronts for a Day 6 since that day is on Laguna Seca and I want my game face on there, partswise.
Front rotors survived Day 5... but they may get pulled. They are slowly cracking more and more and may be at the point where I would prefer to err on the conservative side and pull them. Its still remarkable that I have gotten them thru five days, considering history. I think I cracked them initially at Laguna as I ran them once without the fans on. If I had kept my head and remembered to put them on, I might have added a couple days to their life.

RobAGD
11-17-2008, 07:19 PM
Matt VERY VERY cool dude !

Hehehehe YOu getting bulk pricing on the rotors yet ? I am due SOON hahaha

-R

Fargo59
11-17-2008, 07:35 PM
geeze matt, looking great. chasing down a lamboghini is quite an accomplishment even if you just kept pace with him. way to go.

Cam
11-17-2008, 07:42 PM
That's awsome Matt!!. Is that track as smooth as it looks in the pictures???.

Leadfootluke
11-17-2008, 07:51 PM
Awesome write-up Matt.

It is always a pleasure to read your track ventures.

That track looks like a blast!

Thanks for sharing!

Ron380
11-17-2008, 08:26 PM
BIG Congrats Matt!! :not_worth :beerchug: :thumbs_u: Anxiously awaiting the video! :pepper:

Hopefully next year I'll be more of the "pass-er" instead of the "pass-ee"! LOL

Safety Fast! :mrgreen:

hemiwagn
11-17-2008, 11:18 PM
Wow --- great story, pics and experience -- and you showed them -- as someone said, way to represent!

MattRobertson
11-17-2008, 11:27 PM
That's awsome Matt!!. Is that track as smooth as it looks in the pictures???.

Its this smooth:

http://whitegirlsareeasy.files.wordpress.com/2008/08/lace-boy-shorts1.jpg?w=210&h=300

Steve Levin
11-18-2008, 04:45 PM
I should be at Laguna on the 4th. That's a fun track although there's a lot of kitty litter if you go walkabout.

Steve