PDA

View Full Version : Laguna Seca in August: What day shall we run?

MattRobertson
06-17-2008, 10:50 PM
Most of the road course guys know that Laguna Seca is coming up on August 22, 23 and 24 (Fri, Sat and Sun). Signups are ALREADY open and the days are slowly filling up. There is only ONE run group per day (Blue/intermediate) so its not going to be a day for beginners. Also I recognize some of the cars already signed up and yes the Advanced drivers will be muscling around with us.

http://speedventures.com/events/eventdetail.aspx?id=190

So if we are all going to try and coordinate a day, what day will it be?

Honestly my gut says "do Sunday" because that gives me a day of prep on a weekend, and that will be the least-crowded day. But it will be the least convenient for all of the out-of-towners (i.e. everyone but me). Plus looking at the signups on Sunday... well, that looks like I'm giving point-bys all day long if only guys like those signed up so far continue to show up.

Saturday will fill up the fastest and it already seems to be going like that. There seem to be more middle-of-the-road cars there and that looks to be the day.

What do you guys think? Saturday? That lets you all drive in Friday late and head for home on Sunday.

ChargerGirl
06-18-2008, 09:57 AM
Sounds like a plan, Matt. Mark me down as tentative.

CoolVanilla
06-18-2008, 10:09 AM
Matt, mark me down as tentative too.

Just had a thought... would you take a few minutes and summarize what all is needed for a day at a course like Laguna, for those of us not in the know? Things like requirements of the car (sound, hooks ect) safety gear (helmet, long pants ect). Then maybe a short list of stuff to have on hand?

Maybe a new thread depending on the effort you want to put into it, so we can KB it?

SDChargerSRT
06-18-2008, 10:19 AM
I too would greatly appreciate that kind of info.

Starting tire pressure, anything else to change from normal operating status.

I will come to Laguna some day, I cant' make it this time.

MattRobertson
06-18-2008, 11:10 AM
Sounds like a plan, Matt. Mark me down as tentative.What day, silly? I'm trying to figure out which day we all should sign up for I'm happy to provide moral and some tech support since I'm local no matter what day you can make it, but which of the three days should we all run out and sign up for?

Matt, mark me down as tentative too.ahem. see above.

:panic::mrgreen:

Just had a thought... would you take a few minutes and summarize what all is needed for a day at a course like Laguna, ... Then maybe a short list of stuff to have on hand? ... Maybe a new thread depending on the effort you want to put into it, so we can KB it?[/quote]Thats a hell of an idea. I have a "track pack list" in my cell that never leaves so in a way I have this at least partially completed already. If we do a separate thread we can build a group consensus and make something really good for everyone.

ChargerGirl
06-18-2008, 12:32 PM
Sorry...Saturday... :P

DanRealtor
06-18-2008, 02:03 PM
Laguna Seca is UNFRIGGINBELIEVABLY AWESOME!!!!!!!!

Eddie (WagonDoc) & I went there for the SRT Track Experience back in November of "05. WOW!!!!

There is nothing else on the planet like the famed "Corkscrew".

I'd do either day, Saturday or Sunday. The advantage to running on Sunday is fewer cars which equals more track time. Also it gives everyone Saturday as a travel/prep day. We could also go watch Saturday (and do some recon) prior to running on Sunday.

The hotel in Seaside (I believe it was the Doubletree) where we all stayed was great. Reasonable prices, close to the track, close to the ocean, nice rooms, and they didn't freak out when a couple of people restriped the parking lot either:).

Laguna Seca & Infineon are by far THE BEST tracks I have ever run on. Whether you are a first timer on a track, or an experienced racer, you will have fun GUARANTEED. Since they er NOT running a white group that weekend, probably best suited for those who have been to atrack before, or who drive like Mad Max anyway.

Matt: Pick a day, Sat or Sun & sign me up!!!

BTW: SpeedVentures is a first rate outfit. I just ran at California Speedway with them last Saturday (again). Aaron & his crew are top notch.

MattRobertson
06-18-2008, 03:31 PM
Hey guys, like a jackass I plumb forgot that there is such a thing as a poll feature on the forum. Could you guys click on a day? I already tried and there doesn't appear to be a way to edit the poll to put in the existing votes. I'll keep looking. BTW I am with Dan, even though I picked Saturday I am as good or better with Sunday.

Also to sign up you have to go to http://Speedventures.com. I'm not doing any signup stuff.

ChargerGirl
06-18-2008, 04:10 PM
Alright, Sunday it is. Still tentative.

Steve Levin
06-19-2008, 07:05 PM
Mark me down as tentative for Sunday as well. I may only be able to hang out and watch but I will try to be there.

Steve

MattRobertson
06-19-2008, 07:24 PM
Cam told me Sunday was best for him as driving into SoCal on Sunday is pure hell. He's tentative as well but starting to feel a consensus building.

Grimlock
06-19-2008, 10:18 PM
Laguna is definitely an awesome track. Noise can be an issue there if you have a loud car though, and they do monitor it! If you have open exhaust, they will probably pull you off the track. They are only allotted a certain number of loud days per year (which they use on the big races).

I think I might prefer Thunderhill myself, but Laguna definitely has far more history!

And I rate SearsPoint as the most intimidating track in the area. I've seen too many people total their cars here, and I even seen a few die. Definitely a track that DEMANDS respect!

I've never run with this group before. Are clubs like NASA still running track days? Also, I know the BMW CCA alows people to attend with non-BMWs. I've run with both of those groups in the past.

MattRobertson
06-20-2008, 01:14 AM
NASA does Laguna once a year early in their season.

The rangers are extremely strict about sound. You have a 92 db limit and that is that. They will meatball you immediately if you go over and each time a few guys do. A couple of NSX's bought it this last time. I have a loud car but its deep loud and not high-pitched loud, so I always pass sound (and people always wonder how I do it), but I also keep a stock intake with me just in case. You see guys with turn-downs and such but they often don't work. And if a guy lifts going by the sound booth and floors it coming out of 11 onto the front straight... well thats where the track staff is at and they will call in an airstrike on you.

Another reason to run Sunday. Those guys are home barbecuing and you only have to deal with the booth and the occasional roving ranger with a db meter.

ChargerGirl
06-20-2008, 02:10 AM
Hmm, my car might be too loud....

Steve Levin
06-20-2008, 02:05 PM
My 300 has no resonators and a CAI (but otherwise stock intake/exhaust) and it wasn't even close at Laguna. Your car actually have to be really loud to bust sound. It IS possible with a very aggressive exhaust, though. I know of at least one Z06 Corvette with Corsas that doesn't make sound. And that car is annoyingly loud when it starts up in the motel parking lot...

Steve

ChargerGirl
06-20-2008, 02:07 PM
Hmm, ok. I do set off cheap car alarms. :)

MattRobertson
06-20-2008, 02:32 PM
"deep loud" seems to be different than "high pitched loud" is the best way I can describe it. T you have heard my car and it is by no means quiet. Last time I was there people were asking me how I didn't get flagged and I just shrugged and gave them the same guess I gave you. The guys that were getting popped (some Mazdas went byebye too) were higher pitched.

ChargerGirl
06-20-2008, 03:37 PM
Yeah, I'm documented at 122 dB of DEEEEP loud. :)

Grimlock
06-20-2008, 04:27 PM
Yeah it really sucks to pay for a weekend of track time, mount some good track tires, pay for a hotel and then get yanked off the track. I was always lucky that my track car was a Turbo, and Turbos are usually far more quiet than NA cars.