PDA

View Full Version : How to install sonar parking assist

DMAG
03-26-2005, 07:17 PM
How to install sonar parking assist.
By DavidA

Besides the 4 holes in the bumper for the sonar sensors, you need to drill 2 additional holes, one to feed the wire into the taillight housing, and one to get the wires from the bumper into the trunk area of the car.

http://www.lxforums.com/images/How_To/park_assist/image001.jpg

This 1st picture shows the taillight housing. Drill through the foam in the upper right with a 1/4" drill.

Take the spare out and the rear panel that covers the latch. Drill another hole in the back of the car in the flat area just above the spare tire well. I used the same hole saw that came with the kit after I drilled the bumper.

http://www.lxforums.com/images/How_To/park_assist/image002.jpg

Drilling the bumper was easy. The tricky part is to measure very carefully so the 4 holes are completely level. Measure the 2 outer holes and start the hole with the hole saw supplied. DO NOT DRILL THROUGH, just the small hole. Use a chalk line from the holes side to side to make sure all the holes will be straight. I measured from the edge of the license plates to get my side to side measurements and drilled on the chalk line.

http://www.lxforums.com/images/How_To/park_assist/image003.jpg

I then ran the wires into the spare well. I took out the left side trim and the rear center piece that hold up the roof liner. I then ran the wires from the well into the taillight housing and also ran the LED displays up to the roof area.

http://www.lxforums.com/images/How_To/park_assist/image004.jpg

I then spliced one wire to the backup light put the light assembly back in. I drilled a small hole in the side of the spare well and put a ground screw in.

http://www.lxforums.com/images/How_To/park_assist/image005.jpg

I connected everything and put the beeper in behind the grill that you remove to get the tail light out...

http://www.lxforums.com/images/How_To/park_assist/image006.jpg

...dressed all the wires, taped the control unit to the side of the spare well, put everything back and then taped the LED displays to the roof. These show which side the interference is close to and also give you a visual as you get close to something.

http://www.lxforums.com/images/How_To/park_assist/image007.jpg

The beeper also gives an audible signal .. all very neat.

There are no wires showing, the beeper is hidden and all you see are the LED's in the rearview mirror. All in all, it took me about 3 hours. The total cost was $54.00 and some time. I also painted the sensors before I put them in the bumper. My car is Magnesium so I really didn't want the flat black sensors stuck in the bumper. After I was done, I re-touched the sensors and that's it.

http://www.lxforums.com/images/How_To/park_assist/image008.jpg

Now I can back up at night with more confidence. With the dark windows and the length of the car, I really had a hard time telling where the back end was.

schexy1
03-29-2005, 07:02 PM
where did you get the system for $54?

redinorange
03-29-2005, 07:46 PM
...and could you elaborate just a bit more on the splice information?
Thanks.

desquirrel
03-29-2005, 08:59 PM
A guy on eBay sells a kit for around $45. The kit has 2 sensors. You can "upgrade" to the 4 sensor unit for $15 more. You can specify external tape-on sensors or the hole mount units. They come in a couple of colors. The components look EXACTLY like the $250 Chrysler kit.

SoCal_Magnum
03-29-2005, 09:25 PM
What was his user ID...want to make sure I dont buy a fake. I could REALLY use backup sensors :)

redinorange
03-30-2005, 12:07 AM
A guy on eBay sells a kit for around $45. The kit has 2 sensors. You can "upgrade" to the 4 sensor unit for $15 more. You can specify external tape-on sensors or the hole mount units. They come in a couple of colors. The components look EXACTLY like the $250 Chrysler kit. Are you DavidA?

FUll Throttle
02-01-2006, 12:22 PM
I quick ebay aearch shows a bunch of guys selling these. Might also be good for the front of my SRT 8 if I can hide the sensors. Might keep us off the parking blocks
Mike

quarky42
02-03-2006, 03:21 AM
Kicka$$. Thanks for fixing the images. I look forward to using the guide when I get my car. I ordered the sonar sensors yesterday.

Where did you get the paint to match the bumper? Dealer? Or is magnesium pretty easy to match from "off the shelf" ?

DMAG
02-03-2006, 08:13 AM
Images fixed.

quarky42
02-18-2006, 01:07 PM
Does painting the sensors affect them at all? I noticed you painted them and they look very good that way. I'm in the Magnesium boat also... what type of paint did you use (part#/brand if possible) ??

lsitter
02-19-2006, 09:25 PM
Can you give brand and model number for this kit? I'm unable to find it on ebay. Thanks, Lou

fnkychkn
02-19-2006, 09:41 PM
Can you give brand and model number for this kit? I'm unable to find it on ebay. Thanks, Lou
the kit referred to in this thread is the mopar kit. P/N 82208246AB

XCITsNU
02-20-2006, 03:11 AM
I want this, but for the front of my car. I hate thinking about parking, cause I always think I'm going to scrape the front end. More details on this ebay seller and / or kit please. . .

Nightshade
02-20-2006, 04:12 AM
Has anyone ever played with one like this?

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5827519565

http://akamai.edeal.com/images/catalog1910/folder8249/img836648.jpg
There are backup sensors in addition to a camera. Provides video display right in the rearview mirror itself... Would mean that ya gotta swap out the mirror for this one.. but is pretty neat nonetheless. (didn't mean to threadjack, but there are lots of offerings out there for reverse sensors and since there is no real integration into the canbus, there is no reason to limit ourselves to factory parts for this.. :) )

charlieinnj
02-20-2006, 06:49 AM
My dealer recommended a unit called "ReverseGuard" The sensors are in the license plate bracket. Works like a charm! I have it.

Daniel454
02-20-2006, 12:02 PM
More details on this ebay seller and / or kit please. . .I have the kit... Got the FOUR sensor version.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Dodge-Intrepid-Magnum-Shadow-FEET-LED-backup-sensor_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33724QQitemZ8040 411863

That is who I bought it from, GREAT communication. Quick Shipping. No problems...

I had the sensors painted at the body shop when I had the roof rack removed and sirius antenna painted... Mine are not PERFECTLY straight across... as I wanted them at the top of the plate area, and wanted them to line up with the bumper inset on the sides... Picture below...

http://homepages.otelco.net/danielhe/21906-5.JPG

As far as running the wires behind the bumper, well I did that mainly by feel... You will find the bumper connecting joints give you plenty of areas to wire tie the wires as you need to, otherwise a coat hanger or fish line will help run them from one side to the other... their really is a lot of open space in the bumper area, so nothing is too tight, somebody with a small hand might could even move them around without use of a pull wire....

I Mounted the inside peice (Which beeps, shows side of obstruction with varying color L.E.D.s, and shows distance in FEET!) at the base of the rear window on the Hatch. The kit comes with enough wire you could mount it on the dash or in the front of the cabin if you wanted....

http://homepages.otelco.net/danielhe/22006-1.JPG

On mine, I didnt have to drill any secondary holes to feed the wire... I wire tied and tucked the wire in the back of the Bumper area, then ran the wires through the factory Boot where wires are ran to the rear light assemblies.

Picture below is looking straight up from under the car, rear bumper area, passengar side... Back up sensor wires are the ones coming in from the right hand side of the pic, factory boot can be seen in the center of the pic... You CAN access this boot quite easily from the top with the tail light removed.
http://homepages.otelco.net/danielhe/Back%20Up%20Wires.JPG

I then tapped into the reverse light wire, just inside the car. It is fairly easy to get to since you are running the back up sesnor wires through the boot, in which the tail light wires are already routed... So once you get in the inside of the car area, untape tail light wires and connect to the white wire with green stripe.... which is the positive side of the back up lights.

I then tucked the control assembly under the paneling on the passengar side (Where the 12V Power outlet is located, just under the small window). Held it in place with 3M double sided sticky tape.

WORKS GREAT!!!

quarky42
02-27-2006, 03:08 PM
Thanks for the updates! That's where the LX Service Manual says the factory one is installed (in that passenger side, right in that area) I like how you mounted it by the window like that too.

So the paint doesn't seem to affect the sensors abilities? I think I want mine painted.

Daniel454
02-27-2006, 03:16 PM
So the paint doesn't seem to affect the sensors abilities? No problems painted at all... Actually, the paint shop called me just before spraying them, in fear they would stop working. I decided, it was worth the risk to try it anyway, figuring if they didnt work I could replace them cheaply enough... They got them painted and tested them near all kinds of objects (plastic & metal shopping carts, Telephone pole, metal building, person, etc). They worked flawlessly...

SCC
02-27-2006, 03:17 PM
My dealer recommended a unit called "ReverseGuard" The sensors are in the license plate bracket. Works like a charm! I have it.
I am curious to see what it looks like both in and outside. I am trying to determine what kit I would like to put on my R/T.
I wish there was a way to compare the different types and see which one is more effective.

quarky42
02-27-2006, 06:05 PM
The ones in the license plate bracket are more hidden and don't require (much) cutting of the bumper cover.

I don't mind cutting holes in my bumper as long as I can match the paint reasonably well.

fnkychkn
02-27-2006, 07:51 PM
The ones in the license plate bracket are more hidden and don't require (much) cutting of the bumper cover.

I don't mind cutting holes in my bumper as long as I can match the paint reasonably well.
if you're going to get the mopar kit, spend another 20 bucks and get the mopar hole saw kit. it's exactly the right size you'll need.

Daniel454
02-27-2006, 08:56 PM
I am in no way putting down the MOPAR Kit, but FYI, while on that topic, the kit from eBay comes with the hole saw already. (Forgot to mention that before and remembered after the other post)

lsitter
02-27-2006, 09:01 PM
Daniel454, When you installed your kit, was there an option to install the visual meter upside-down on the headliner? I ask because I want this for my wife's Suburban and would need to install on the headliner. My concern is *obviously* that the numbers would be upside-down.

Lou

Daniel454
02-27-2006, 09:09 PM
Daniel454, When you installed your kit, was there an option to install the visual meter upside-down on the headliner? I ask because I want this for my wife's Suburban and would need to install on the headliner. My concern is *obviously* that the numbers would be upside-down.

LouNo Unforunately not... I too had considered putting it on the headliner, but yes the numbers would be upside down... If it MUST go that direction, I would say you would have to find a kit that still had the LED sides, but no LED numeric display.. you may try E-mailing the seller, he may sell it without the numeric dislay or have other options... Of course, it has a beeper too, so you could hide the entire peice and just use that for back up, but to me the numeric display was one of th best features.

quarky42
02-27-2006, 09:49 PM
I have the kit with the hole saw already. I didn't mean to imply that I would be cutting un-guided. I can't freehand my own handwriting yet alone cut something freehand. I can however use tools, line up 4 holes, make sure they are straight, and go to town on it. I was pointing out the difference between the license plate mounted sensors versus the bumper mounted sensors... (fewer holes for the license plate mounted sensors I believe)

Daniel454
03-02-2006, 08:22 PM
:bump:

As requested by another member. I updated my descriptive post above, added a pic, and discussed which wire to use a little more...

ktek01
03-02-2006, 09:44 PM
When you remove the rear bumper there are very faint lines showing where to cut out for the factory sensors. The Mopar drill bit does make this very easy, more like a forstner bit then a hole saw. As for painting the sensors, there are instructions in the Mopar kit for the correct paint mix so it wont interfere with the sonar. I have the instruction disc at work and will have to look it up.

XCITsNU
03-03-2006, 01:02 AM
Got my kit today, ALL the way from Hong Kong. The emailed confirmation stated it would arrive in 2 weeks. Took 5 days. I am very impressed with this kit. I ordered the 4 sensors, for a total of $65 shipped. This was a great purchase.

NOW my real question is how to re-configure the unit to measure from about 8 inches off the ground. I'll need to take the unit apart ot see what configuration options are available, but I am thinking that I may need to block off par of the sensors near the bottom so they only pick up item in fron of the sensor, instead of the road below the sensor. These will go on the front of my SRT-8 to avoid scraping up the lower facia.

Wish me luck and let me know if anyone has any suggestions on modifing the unit.

rogerc5
03-12-2006, 07:58 PM
Could not one just wire 2 additional senors from the rear sensors to the front. It would seem to me that it should work. Pulling into a parking lot with car stops, the fronts should work thru the unit. Only problem I see that another member brought up would be the aiming. Maybe using a small offset disc with a hole in it and affixed to the sensor itself would cut down on what the sensor sees.
Just my thoughts. And a great mod.
Roger

fnkychkn
03-12-2006, 09:21 PM
Could not one just wire 2 additional senors from the rear sensors to the front. It would seem to me that it should work. Pulling into a parking lot with car stops, the fronts should work thru the unit. Only problem I see that another member brought up would be the aiming. Maybe using a small offset disc with a hole in it and affixed to the sensor itself would cut down on what the sensor sees.
Roger
problem is the mopar park assist module is only powered up in reverse.

Daniel454
03-13-2006, 11:09 AM
Roger Looking at the way the aftermarket wires are made, I dont believe you would get accurate info if you tried to tap into the rear sensors... The wires look like RF cables, more than just copper wires... You will be changing the length, resistance and impedence of the sensor if you try to tap into it...

You could buy a four sensor system and use two up front and two rear though...

It is true that the Mopar and the aftermarket are only active in reverse, BUT you could wire them into a switched 12 volts with a switch, just flip the switch to activate while pulling into a parking spot...

Daniel

MagnumFierce
03-13-2006, 12:59 PM
Thanks guys this is another EXCELLENT thread.

Question for those who have `em up and running;
Do the beams point 'down' much or mostly straight back?
I.e. if one of my little geniuses parks a bike or toy behind the car and I neglect to check back there, will this pick them up?

Anybody know what frequency the sensors are running at?

Muchos thankques

Daniel454
03-31-2006, 11:39 PM

I.e. if one of my little geniuses parks a bike or toy behind the car and I neglect to check back there, will this pick them up?

Muchos thankques

I know I am pulling this one back up... But I didnt know a new question had been asked because I lost my subscriptions before (trying to go through old e-mails and get most re-subscribed)

SO to answer the question.... They seem to point almost in a full circle. Mine will detect if I am backing up to a tall curb, to a pole, or even a low hanging branch... SO far, it seems the entire rear of the car is covered... I am sure it will vary slightly according to where they are mounted.

No Idea on the frequency...

quarky42
04-01-2006, 05:08 AM
My el cheapo backup sensors from ebay measure all the way down to the ground from 25" up on the bumper. Anything significantly above ground level will trigger mine. These are sonar so anything that the waves will bounce off of really is what will trigger it.

I back into a car port every day and the chain link fence at my rear sets mine off. They are pleanty sensitive.

The diagram that came with mine showed a "cone" and range. I don't remember the distance, but the cone was about 22-25" wide horizontally and vertically.

I have my outer two most sensors about 5" from the edge of the car. They detect people walking around the car even before the person gets behind me which is good... I want to know when something is behind me even if it isn't in my path. Better to have a little too much coverage than a slightly to little coverage.

I know I am pulling this one back up... But I didnt know a new question had been asked because I lost my subscriptions before (trying to go through old e-mails and get most re-subscribed)

SO to answer the question.... They seem to point almost in a full circle. Mine will detect if I am backing up to a tall curb, to a pole, or even a low hanging branch... SO far, it seems the entire rear of the car is covered... I am sure it will vary slightly according to where they are mounted.

No Idea on the frequency...

fnkychkn
04-01-2006, 08:03 AM

Muchos thankques

from training manual:

range - 60 inches
detection height from the ground - 8 to 60 inches
no mention of frequency

pigpen
04-01-2006, 09:38 AM
Great something else to order now guys!!

quarky42
04-01-2006, 03:16 PM
You say that like it's a bad thing? LOL

Great something else to order now guys!!

Invader
05-23-2006, 08:43 PM
Any of y'all who bought the ebay system and have installed it figure out how to connect the display to the controller box?

My display has a 1/8" female headphone jack on one end but nowhere else in the kit exists either: an adapter cord (1/8" to flat 4 prong) or a plug from the controller box.

Am I missing a cable?

Thanks

Daniel454
05-23-2006, 09:11 PM
I am not 100% sure because I cant double check mine right now, nor will I be able to for a while because I am on a business trip, but I am about 99% sure, YES, you are missing a cable, Almost certain mine had two cables, one with the 1/8 plug on it and another one (this is the long one so you can run it to the front of the car if you want) cable to connect from that plug to the controller box.

Invader
05-23-2006, 09:16 PM
Mine came with: 4 sensors (cables attached), controller box, display unit with pigtail, saw, 2 bags of angle mounts / trim rings, and a harness (with the fuse on the ground???). I didnt get the buzzer you mounted behind your grille (although there's a beeper on the display i guess).

Daniel454
05-23-2006, 09:24 PM
Mine came with: 4 sensors (cables attached), controller box, display unit with pigtail, saw, 2 bags of angle mounts / trim rings, and a harness (with the fuse on the ground???). I didnt get the buzzer you mounted behind your grille (although there's a beeper on the display i guess). Mine had the buzzer built into the display too, not Like DMAGS at the top.

Invader
05-23-2006, 09:46 PM
That's a lil comforting :) Guess it's just down to the cable now.. lets see if Carrie can come through for me. Already waited 2 weeks for this package. But, the mag doesn't get to me for another 2 .. so waiting is ok.

One more question.. Mopar rattlecan colormatched paint.. can just paint the sensors with that? Or must I follow some specific rules about painting the sensors.

Daniel454
05-23-2006, 09:56 PM
One more question.. Mopar rattlecan colormatched paint.. can just paint the sensors with that? Or must I follow some specific rules about painting the sensors. That should be fine... I would go light with primer, so to not make it over all too thick, and you will need to clear coat it too, but should work just fine. I had mine done at a paint shop, already had it in for other reasons, but I have painted other sensors in the past with the paint you reference without issues.

fnkychkn
05-23-2006, 10:11 PM
One more question.. Mopar rattlecan colormatched paint.. can just paint the sensors with that? Or must I follow some specific rules about painting the sensors.
from MOPAR kit installation instructions:

■ If painting the sensors to match the vehicle color is desired by the customer, refer to the following 4 steps:
Step 1: Prep surface following standard paint shop procedures for painting of plastic components.
Step 2: Mix Sikkens Brand Autobase with Diluent 1:1.
Step 3: Fog-spray 1 coat of Autobase mixture. Wait 5 minutes. Wet-spray another coat of Autobase mixture. Let dry for
25 minutes.
Step 4: While Autobase is still wet, spray 1 coat of Autoclear (Varnish/Curing Agent/Diluent = 5:2 0:15). Let dry for
15 minutes. Place sensors in heated drying chamber for 60 minutes at 52c.

Invader
05-23-2006, 10:13 PM
Aye, I still have those handy, I don't want to pay the $80 for the shop to paint 4 little plastic pieces... :)

Invader
05-30-2006, 06:08 PM
Anyone know where else to get the missing cable? hongkongplus is being retarted and not responding to emails (after the first one) about missing parts? I gave him/her/it a deadline of when to have it shipped or negative feedback. Now I just want the damn cable.

BillyDsl
05-30-2006, 10:54 PM
Anyone know where else to get the missing cable? hongkongplus is being retarted and not responding to emails (after the first one) about missing parts? I gave him/her/it a deadline of when to have it shipped or negative feedback. Now I just want the damn cable.
That doesn't sound good.
Can you give us a heads up on which ebayer that is?..

Invader
06-01-2006, 05:56 PM
hk-plus is who to avoid.

BillyDsl
06-03-2006, 06:25 PM
hk-plus is who to avoid.
Thanks Invader, good luck getting yours together.
BillyD..

shuman
06-14-2006, 04:06 PM
Anyone installed this on the front of the car?

Invader
06-14-2006, 04:10 PM
No, but, if you search on google for parking assist, there are companies that make a 6 sensor set; 4 rear, 2 front.

bratfink
05-21-2010, 10:41 AM
Is 'Sonar' the brand name or are you actually trying to reverse the vehicle underwater??? :bahdumcha:

Nice mod though, looks inconspicuous and pretty handy in the [no rear vis] Magnum.