Post Thanks / Like

2013 5.7L Timing Chain Life Expectancy?

l have a 2013 R/T 5.7L I put a blower on @128k miles. At 134k haunted by the potential lifter failures I decided to update the valve train with the updated lifters (larger roller needles?) new springs, pushrods, and seals. The bores looked great and passed the leak down and compression tests.

There was a timing chain guide/tensioner failure recall.

My factory engine build date is just outside the date range of through to March 8, 2013 being built on March 13 2013, and doesn't meet all of the sales codes listed for the recall.

Recall NOTE: This recall applies only to the above vehicles equipped with a 5.7L Hemi engine (sales code EZD or EZH), automatic transmission (sales code DGJ) and rear axle ratio 3.06, 3.73 or 3.92 (sales code DMP, DME or DMH) built through March 08, 2013 (MDH 030807). Mine are in bold. Mine came with a 2.65 axle ratio.

She will hit 150k miles soon. If like me you are going to keep the car and romp a blower build would you go after the chain at this point? And are the gears normally OK? I would do the oil pump while its off with a Melling unit.

I know they went from the one part black composite guide to a two part aluminum/white composite used in the SRTs'.

I haven't read anything about the life span of these.
    2013 Dodge Charger R/T Plus, Edelbrock E-Force 2300TVS 6.8 PSI, 450hp/459tq, Corsa CatBack, 3.06 Wavetrac 215mm Diff, Severe Duty Radiator, Dual Fans, OE Oil Cooler, Pursuit BR9 Brakes. DSS Two Piece Aluminum Tracking Number Received.

Post Thanks / Like
    Gapi - How do you know these sales code numbers? Are they part of the VIN or ?
    my son has a 13 RT so would like to see if it is in the recall.

on your car with 150k, blower, and keeping the car, it sure looks like a chain would be worthwhile.
    I remember the tensioners being the big concern on Gen1 - are the tensioners on Gen2/VVT 5.7’s as cheesy as the Gen1’s? If so, do you put in 6.1 or 6.4 tensioner.
    Not trying to derail your thread, it’s all related stuff.
    Last edited by 07RT; 07-11-2021 at 06:03 PM.
    Eibach Pro-kit springs and sway bars, Koni dampeners, K&N Intake, Predator tune by Stu, 180 T-stat, BT park lock replacement, catch can, and dipstick handle Pedders tension strut bushings & rack mount bushings, Blastin' Bob's 4db resonator kit, Inertia Super Spartan cam, JBA shorties, 6.1 pulley, matte black FR73 20x9.5"rims with BFG Sport Comp-2 275/40/20, R1 Concepts premium front & rear rotors,,B&M trans dipstick, Mercedes trans pan, Energy Suspension diff and subframe bushings, 3.06 Getrag

Post Thanks / Like
    My engine number on the sticker on right side of engine. TNXE6072310702 . The 072 is the 72nd day of the year, and 3 is 2013. The last 5 digits are the serial number.
    Sales codes are on my build sheet. Forgot where on Dodge Webb site to submit your vin. There are other sites that will put out your build but only Dodge site will have the sales codes.

Here is a sample of the list

CWPS Illuminated Front Cupholders
    CXNS Part Tracking
    DGJ 5-Speed Auto W5A580 Transmission
    DHDP AutoStick (R) Automatic Transmission
    DLCS 2.65 Rear Axle Ratio
    DPPS 215MM Rear Axle
    EZH 5.7L V8 HEMI MDS VVT Engine

Post Thanks / Like
    So a bump on this one to ask if the lack of response and discussions in a search mean there no great concern or history for mileage and timing chains on the Eagle 5.7L VVT?

Post Thanks / Like
    If it helps, on my 06 6.1, I had to replace mine at 140K kms because it was so loose, it was hitting the side of the cover. I would just replace it for peace of mind.

2006 300 SRT8 / 2012 300 SRT8

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi 07RT,
    You can use the link below to check for open recalls for your vehicle or send us a message via private message with your VIN.
    Lookup FCA Vehicle Recalls by VIN | Official Mopar(R) Site

Rob
    Chrysler Cares
    Thanks 07RT thanked for this post
    Likes BryGuy liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ChryslerCares View Post
    Hi 07RT,
    You can use the link below to check for open recalls for your vehicle or send us a message via private message with your VIN.
    Lookup FCA Vehicle Recalls by VIN | Official Mopar(R) Site

Rob
    Chrysler Cares
    Thanks, Rob!

Bump for more input on Gapi’s timing chain!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Gapi,

I know they went from the one part black composite guide to a two part aluminum/white composite used in the SRTs'.
    I haven't read anything about the life span of these.

See attached PDF file,

5.7 Hemi Timing Chaine

and screen shot last point #6

Timing.jpg

Good luck

Post Thanks / Like
    Apology
    Image got distorted in previous upload,
    Trying again:
    Capture.JPG
    Thanks gapi thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks guys, too much time on my hands I'll just see for myself. I cannot fathom where a loose chain will rub a cover with the guide and tensioner on the outside. Would enjoy pics of this.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by gapi View Post
    Thanks guys, too much time on my hands I'll just see for myself. I cannot fathom where a loose chain will rub a cover with the guide and tensioner on the outside. Would enjoy pics of this.
    @Hemissary Simon did a write up on the issue a while back. He hasn't seen this thread year or he'd have posted it for you.

GEN III Chain Tensioner Failures

GEN III Chain Tensioner Failures
    Thanks gapi thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 07RT View Post
    Thanks, Rob!

Bump for more input on Gapi’s timing chain!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Of course! Happy to help.

Rob
    Chrysler Cares

Post Thanks / Like
    WoW. My 5.7 engine date is very close to the cutoff for the P01 recall. I'm going to go in to see so I can stop thinking about it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Question about slipping the chain on. I'm assuming with the tensioner unloaded or removed I'll not need to remove the cam phaser?

Post Thanks / Like
    So............... I see this article, "Hemi Engine Autopsy: 235,000-Mile 5.7L Out of a 2011 Challenger", where the TC guide fails and breaks the chain @66k miles. They replace it and a head gasket fails 169k miles later and see the chain, guide and tensioner are still OK.

Hmmmm.. I'm not so eager or worried anymore. Heh!