Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

392 intake manifold swap

Hey guys! I've been really interested in doing this mod lately. I do have a question that I couldn't find an answer for. Can I use any 392 intake manifold? Does it have to come from a challenger/charger or can I use one from a Durango/Jeep?

Post Thanks / Like
    Not 100% sure, but the manifolds should be interchangable. They will absolutely fit the engine, the question is will they fit the chassis, have hood clearance, etc.
    One thing that you dont mention is swap from what? What do you want to put this 392 manifold onto, and why?
    Tom

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry I completely forgot to mention that part lol. It’s a 2017 Charger RT Daytona. If I decide to cam it, I want to figure out all bolt on mods that could help in every range.

Post Thanks / Like
    Is it a 5.7?

Post Thanks / Like
    Yup!

Post Thanks / Like
    May want to consider the Holley manifold.
    Tom

Post Thanks / Like
    Better google up pics of those other manifolds, some have the throttle body pointing upward. Some may not have the short runner valving.
    2013 Dodge Charger R/T Plus, Edelbrock E-Force 2300TVS 6.4 PSI, Mustang-Dyno Tuned 418hp/430tq, 3.06:1, Severe Duty Radiator, Dual Fans, OE Oil Cooler, Pursuit BR9 Brakes, Corsa CatBack, Bilstein Dampers, Catch Can, AlfaOBD enabled Sport Mode & SRT Pages, Fogs on w/High Beams, Add Reverse Cam & Auto Dimming & Tilt in Reverse Left Door Mirror.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by johnniel View Post
    Hey guys! I've been really interested in doing this mod lately. I do have a question that I couldn't find an answer for. Can I use any 392 intake manifold? Does it have to come from a challenger/charger or can I use one from a Durango/Jeep?

If it has a horizontal 45 degree entry and is coming off a 392ci, it is very likely the short runner valve manifold. What year is the engine it is mounted to? What will not work on car platforms is the RAM 5.7 SRV manifolds with the vertical entry (will not fit nder hood).

For more info, go to this How To for installation and set-up of the SRV manifold on 5.7 Eagle, 6.1 or 392 Apache cylinder heads (the only heads with the correct port configuration).

FWIW; this manifold is second to none for adding significant HP and TQ - everywhere under the curve. No other manifold, aftermarket or otherwise, can accomplish this feat...
    Last edited by Hemissary; 11-16-2020 at 12:15 AM.
    2005 Magnum RT---Viper Venom Red----440ci Aluminum block----Short Runner Valve Intake--410mm BAER 6S Monoblock Extreme--Eibach Multi-Pro 2

Custom--Grille Work--Hood--Headlights--Side View Mirrors--Rear Spoiler--Rear Diffuser--SRV Control System--Turbine Wheels

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hemissary View Post

Snip...
    FWIW; this manifold is second to none for adding significant HP and TQ - everywhere under the curve. No other manifold, aftermarket or otherwise, can accomplish this feat...
    I understand you are quite knowledgeable about the gen 3 hemi. I respect your opinion. I just want to be sure I am not misunderstanding anything. You are saying the 392 intake is the best available for the 5.7, bar none. Have you tested these on an engine dyno? Or have you come to this understanding by other means. Very interested in what you have to say. I know engines, but no real experience with gen 3 hemis. I would also be interested in your opinion of the Holley gen 3 intake.
    Thank you
    Tom

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TomStark View Post
    I understand you are quite knowledgeable about the gen 3 hemi. I respect your opinion. I just want to be sure I am not misunderstanding anything. You are saying the 392 intake is the best available for the 5.7, bar none. Have you tested these on an engine dyno? Or have you come to this understanding by other means. Very interested in what you have to say. I know engines, but no real experience with gen 3 hemis. I would also be interested in your opinion of the Holley gen 3 intake.
    Thank you
    Tom

Thank you kindly; I appreciate the compliment :^)

"Best available" has to be based on your needs. The SRV offers more HP / TQ everywhere under the curve when compared to any intake manifold for our engines. It's unlikely there is any manifold OEM or aftermarket that offers for example, more HP / TQ in the lower rpm range - except maybe the 1st GEN. But that's not what people are after (if they only knew...). There are aftermarket manifolds that offer more HP (only) in the very upper rpm range - more so way beyond what any stock or bolt-on engine could see - let alone reach (7500-8500+rpm). It certainly won't be any manifold that looks similar to the SRV or aluminum 6.1 litre version. It will have straight shot (zero angular redirection of flow) runners that are super-short with a standing chamber volume that dissipates major (incoming) turbulence - enough to give each cylinder entry (stabilized / neutral air with similar ambient pressures over top of each entry point) a fairly turbulence-free access to incoming flow.

The posts on here that show results of SRV installation are not easy to find. Some are within the thread I built way back when I first adapted the SRV manifold to function properly outside of their OEM installation that relies on PCM-based algorithms for command and control (thanks go out to Members who point me to miscreants who have elected to copy and take credit for - on other forums). The idea alone, especially installing the control system that makes most back yard mechanics queasy, keeps this mod on the sidelines. Either way, no matter what in the application, the switch from long to short runner mode set point is 4800rpm. Few understand the theory and operation enough to realize that the set point is based on the confines / configuration of the intake manifold itself (port length, volume and HelmHoltz Effect versus rpm)...not the engine (no matter what displacement or cam duration / timing - the engine is still just an air pump).

In simple terms; if one could create two identical vehicles and the only difference was the SRV intake manifold and any other manifold. If we use the 1/4 mile as a yardstick, the SRV-equipped vehicle will get there quicker and faster - first. Think of it this way...we drive disgustingly heavy-azz land yachts; so getting out of the hole is paramount with NA engines.

So yup; I stand by my statement that the SRV manifold, when properly set up, will out-perform everything else in 99% of the range of mods we see being accomplished here on a regular basis...

Side note: the SRV flows within a few CFM of the 6.1. If you understand what this means, it should tell you everything you need to know from redline on down to stall...
    Last edited by Hemissary; 11-21-2020 at 08:05 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I will add some thing here. On a FBO 19 6.4, only change was a ported 6.4 intake, in sport mode, the shift point moved on its own from 64xx to 65xx. Just 2 cents. Is this the pcm.. Doing this?
    2018 R/T Scat Pack[email protected]
    SOLD 07 Plum Daytona 12.854 @ 106.73 Stock Heads, Cam, Intake & Muffler
    7.50 with a ZERO! @ 94.94 mph on a 7.50 Dial In.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hemissary View Post
    Snip...(thanks go out to Members who point me to miscreants who have elected to copy and take credit for - on other forums)...
    Dont you just hate that! Thing is, they dont know the thought process behind coming to that realization, and if ever questioned by someone who really knows engines, they would be stumped to justify their statement because it is not theirs.
    You mentioned plenum volume, when I worked with Bob Glidden (for like 2 weeks! WAY too short!) I asked him about how to determine plenum volume for a given combination. I will never forget his answer. He told me some guys will tell you there is a formula to follow. There's not! The engine is just like a woman, find out what she wants and give it to her! Keep adding plenum volume till it does not respond, then go back to the best result you had and that is the right volume. While at Dart, we played with "stuffers" in the plenum, so instead of just a wide open plenum, there were stuffers to "reflect" the pluses and direct them. Those proved to be of some help, but the reality is there are infinite possibilities and trial and error is really the only way to see what works and what doesn't, and the risk/cost/benefit just did not justify all the labor and dyno time.
    Tom

Post Thanks / Like
    There is a good video showing the srv manifold. If you have the Motortrend subscription the detailed video is there in engine masters. They play with the vvt and the srv.
    Here is a video showing some of the engine master show results. I would bet the 6.4 is similar to the truck 5.7.
    GEN-3 HEMI CAM TESTS-2017 VS 2006 - YouTube
    Thanks Hemissary thanked for this post
    Likes Hemissary liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by HerDaytona View Post
    I will add some thing here. On a FBO 19 6.4, only change was a ported 6.4 intake, in sport mode, the shift point moved on its own from 64xx to 65xx. Just 2 cents. Is this the pcm.. Doing this?
    Porting composite (NYLON6) manifolds is highly overrated :^D Can't see how it would alter a shift point...

Quote Originally Posted by TomStark View Post
    Dont you just hate that! Thing is, they dont know the thought process behind coming to that realization, and if ever questioned by someone who really knows engines, they would be stumped to justify their statement because it is not theirs.
    You mentioned plenum volume, when I worked with Bob Glidden (for like 2 weeks! WAY too short!) I asked him about how to determine plenum volume for a given combination. I will never forget his answer. He told me some guys will tell you there is a formula to follow. There's not! The engine is just like a woman, find out what she wants and give it to her! Keep adding plenum volume till it does not respond, then go back to the best result you had and that is the right volume. While at Dart, we played with "stuffers" in the plenum, so instead of just a wide open plenum, there were stuffers to "reflect" the pluses and direct them. Those proved to be of some help, but the reality is there are infinite possibilities and trial and error is really the only way to see what works and what doesn't, and the risk/cost/benefit just did not justify all the labor and dyno time.
    Tom

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery :^)

In our case, plenum volume is whatever the Manufacturers give us :^) I'm really happy with how it performs on the 440. If I were to install something else, it would be something like this and would design / fiddle with servo operated stacks (variable length) to regain the area under curve that would be lost:

Quote Originally Posted by Glen440 View Post
    There is a good video showing the srv manifold. If you have the Motortrend subscription the detailed video is there in engine masters. They play with the vvt and the srv.
    Here is a video showing some of the engine master show results. I would bet the 6.4 is similar to the truck 5.7.
    GEN-3 HEMI CAM TESTS-2017 VS 2006 - YouTube

Thanks kindly for posting this; there are a couple of others over the years, but this one aptly(!) demonstrates what the gains are - just on a relatively stock engine. Like long tube headers, the gains increase as cubes increase. I'll stick that video in the first post of my aforementioned thread!

Post Thanks / Like
    I thought Z-Automotive came out with a plug and play harness for installing the SRV 6.4 manifold on the 5.7???
    Here it is;
    6.4L HEMI Intake Manifold Short Runner Valve Controller by Z-Automotive
    Likes Hemissary liked this post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast