Thread: Cai

Post Thanks / Like

Cai

What if any CAi are y'all running?

I was thinking of this one Spec-D Cold Air Intake Dodge Magnum V8 (2005-2008) Black / Chrome
    – Redline360

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    I still run a stock airbox with resonator delete but my gut / research tells me its LMI hammer or nothing

Post Thanks / Like
    LMI Hammer, all the way!!!

Loved mine, on my 06 SRT so much, that I bought one for my Hellcat Charger, too!

Bob
    LuX Technologies - Custom Interior Light Mods for Chrysler / Dodge / Jeep Platforms [LX/LC/WK]
    I spend my time modding your lights and developing new products, not being your FaceBook friend.

http://www.luxte.ch
    Lux Technologies

Post Thanks / Like
    People rave about the LMI intake, but if you dont have 3 bills to shell out that Spec-D one looks fine, IMO. Looks about the same as the K&N cai I had that the claimed dyno result improvement was like 24hp (seems generous but whatever). I liked the look and the sound of it installed and that was worth something. I paid $200 for it.

2006 Magnum RT, eagle heads, 6.1 cam, 6.4 intake, SRT headers, Magnaflow catback, custom tune, SRT rims... and more
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T: K&N CAI, SRT headers, Magnaflow 3" cat-back, 180 degree t-stat, Diablo Trinity T1000, 300 SRT rims.

Post Thanks / Like
    FWIW, here's my take on aftermarket CAI's. First, the stock airbox is capable of processing just under 700 cfm of air. A stock 5.7 Hemi engine, at 100% Volumetric Efficiency (VE) is only capable of processing just under 670 cfm of air. Unless you're using forced induction or Nitrous, these engines will only have a VE of maybe 75-80% which is somewhat less than 600 cfm. I can't figure out why people want to spend $300+ for a CAI that is capable of processing up to 900 cfm like some of them do. Also, those using any type of metal for the intake tube are going to end up with more heat soak of the intake air than the stock rubber tube. IMO, the best thing to do is use either a stock or SRT airbox (I use SRT boxes on all three of my Hemi's), a stock intake tube (SRT one if you're using an SRT box), and a high quality low restriction air filter element of your choice.

FYI, back in July 2013, Mopar Muscle Magazine did dyno testing of the "cost" of running various accessories, oils and fluids.....power steering, water pump, alternator, air filters, and engine oil weights. On air filters, they did the baseline test with no filter at all, then with a 3 in. paper element air filter (stock type) and then with an Airaid 4 in. tapered high flow air filter. When compared to NO filter, the paper filter robbed 10. 4 lb. ft. of peak torque and 14.4 peak horsepower, and the high flow filter only lost 5.5 lb. ft. of peak torque and 5.9 peak horsepower. Pretty significant difference. I know lots of folks just love the sound of an open CAI which would hopefully be as good as the Airaid setup but, is it worth the cost??? Not to me. To each his/her own though.
    06 300CSRT8, Comp cammed, 85mm TB, HP/DS Tuners, 06 Jeep GCO and 05 Magnum RT (5.7's) both modded almost the same, MDS "ON" Lt, Fumoto Drain Valves, BT Catch Cans, SRT8 CAIs, AFE Filters, Sonnax Trans Line Press Booster, SC, DS and HP Tuners, Transgo Shift Kit, ARH Long Tube Hdrs w/3 in Magnaflow/Xlerator AP Exh Sys, Bilsteins, SRT Springs/Sways, Cust Eng Cvrs, SRT8 frt/rear bumpers, FRI Sidewinder Cams advanced (Jeep 6*/Maggie 10*), 6.1 valvetrain, SLP 25% UD Pulley, BBK and Arrington 90mm T-Bodies, SOS Ign Coils,TEA ported/milled heads w/new valve seats, SRT Reps.
    Thanks blue_devil thanked for this post
    Likes Ultimagic5 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    This is a 6" tapered carbon fiber tube I made for my 2005 300c. Was +7hp over the stock tube and airbox.

2005 Chrysler 300C 5.7 SBE, ported big valved heads, 784ac lifters, SRT 6.1 intake manifold, SRT shorties, custom grind Billy Drakeford cam, SLP LM1, MTCM and GETRAG 3.06 swap.
    Likes diboblo liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 4DoorMuscle View Post
    This is a 6" tapered carbon fiber tube I made for my 2005 300c. Was +7hp over the stock tube and airbox.

Nice job!

Bob
    LuX Technologies - Custom Interior Light Mods for Chrysler / Dodge / Jeep Platforms [LX/LC/WK]

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by magnuman View Post
    FWIW, here's my take on aftermarket CAI's. First, the stock airbox is capable of processing just under 700 cfm of air. A stock 5.7 Hemi engine, at 100% Volumetric Efficiency (VE) is only capable of processing just under 670 cfm of air. Unless you're using forced induction or Nitrous, these engines will only have a VE of maybe 75-80% which is somewhat less than 600 cfm. I can't figure out why people want to spend $300+ for a CAI that is capable of processing up to 900 cfm like some of them do. Also, those using any type of metal for the intake tube are going to end up with more heat soak of the intake air than the stock rubber tube. IMO, the best thing to do is use either a stock or SRT airbox (I use SRT boxes on all three of my Hemi's), a stock intake tube (SRT one if you're using an SRT box), and a high quality low restriction air filter element of your choice.

FYI, back in July 2013, Mopar Muscle Magazine did dyno testing of the "cost" of running various accessories, oils and fluids.....power steering, water pump, alternator, air filters, and engine oil weights. On air filters, they did the baseline test with no filter at all, then with a 3 in. paper element air filter (stock type) and then with an Airaid 4 in. tapered high flow air filter. When compared to NO filter, the paper filter robbed 10. 4 lb. ft. of peak torque and 14.4 peak horsepower, and the high flow filter only lost 5.5 lb. ft. of peak torque and 5.9 peak horsepower. Pretty significant difference. I know lots of folks just love the sound of an open CAI which would hopefully be as good as the Airaid setup but, is it worth the cost??? Not to me. To each his/her own though.
    You have been around long enough and should have remembered the GIFP/MOFO tests we did in 2005/2006 that showed that you can get some extra horses with the right CAI.

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=done;5162059]You have been around long enough and should have remembered the GIFP/MOFO tests we did in 2005/2006 that showed that you can get some extra horses with the right CAI.[/QUOTE]

How have you been? Do you still have your AWD Maggie? If so, how many miles on it now? Mine just turned over 90K a short time ago. It's used mostly for highway cruising now, the Jeep (114K on it) mostly for bad weather, and the SRT8 is now the daily driver....mostly because it has 171K on it and I don't have a "history" with it like the others.

Those were the good old days and, yes, I remember those tests well. I still have several different setups from back then sitting on the shelf. Very true about hp. gains, but I was talking about the airflow capabilities of the stock intake setup, not horsepower gains. The engine is only capable of processing just so much air, so any CAI that is capable of processing a bunch more is overkill. Yes, you can get slightly more power with the "right" CAI, but that is only because the airflow through the intake is less restrictive (smoother/less turbulent) than with with the stock "accordian tube. You're still not going to pull any more air into the engine, but it will flow through more efficiently. Of the CAI's, my guess is that the Airhammer is probably one of the better ones. By the way, is he still around?? IMO, the slight hp. gain is not worth the $300-400 price tag of many of the CAI's. If I did nothing but WOT racing all the time, then maybe, but for around town, daily driving, IMO they're not worth the $$$. Most of my driving is between 1500-3000 RPM, and any power gains from a good CAI will occur at a higher RPM. That's also why I said, to each his/her own.
    Last edited by magnuman; 01-18-2020 at 10:43 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

How have you been? Do you still have your AWD Maggie? If so, how many miles on it now? Mine just turned over 90K a short time ago. It's used mostly for highway cruising now, the Jeep (114K on it) mostly for bad weather, and the SRT8 is now the daily driver....mostly because it has 171K on it and I don't have a "history" with it like the others.

Those were the good old days and, yes, I remember those tests well. I still have several different setups from back then sitting on the shelf. Very true about hp. gains, but I was talking about the airflow capabilities of the stock intake setup, not horsepower gains. The engine is only capable of processing just so much air, so any CAI that is capable of processing a bunch more is overkill. Yes, you can get slightly more power with the "right" CAI, but that is only because the airflow through the intake is less restrictive (smoother/less turbulent) than with with the stock "accordian tube. You're still not going to pull any more air into the engine, but it will flow through more efficiently. Of the CAI's, my guess is that the Airhammer is probably one of the better ones. By the way, is he still around?? IMO, the slight hp. gain is not worth the $300-400 price tag of many of the CAI's. If I did nothing but WOT racing all the time, then maybe, but for around town, daily driving, IMO they're not worth the $$$. Most of my driving is between 1500-3000 RPM, and any power gains from a good CAI will occur at a higher RPM. That's also why I said, to each his/her own.
    Yes, the Magnum AWD has 132,000 miles now and 5,700 dragstrip runs.

Post Thanks / Like
    5700 runs is about 100 times more runs than I have on any of mine. Have you replaced the valve seats yet...running stock 5.7 heads, or??? Current mods and best ET/Speed in 1/4 mile?

Post Thanks / Like
    5700 runs is about 100 times more runs than I have on any of mine. Have you replaced the valve seats yet...running stock 5.7 heads, or??? Current mods and best ET/Speed in 1/4 mile?
    I upgraded the heads, cam and headers in 2007. Best time was 12.8 @ 108

Post Thanks / Like
    The noise is my goal

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sin.hemi57 View Post
    The noise is my goal

If noise is your goal, then find an original Stainless Steel AirHammer. Definitely the best sound of any CAI.