Thread: Nag1

Post Thanks / Like

Nag1

Would a nag1 from newer say 2012 2013 Jeep's chargers etc work in an 05 magnum rt?

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes they will. It it happens to be removed from a Jeep or V6-equipped platform, it will have a higher stall converter.
    2005 Magnum RT---Viper Venom Red----440ci Aluminum block----Short Runner Valve Intake--410mm BAER 6S Monoblock Extreme--Eibach Multi-Pro 2

Custom--Grille Work--Hood--Headlights--Side View Mirrors--Rear Spoiler--Rear Diffuser--SRV Control System--Turbine Wheels

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, but if it comes from a V6 or AWD, then the bellhousing will not be correct. You will have to swap the bellhousing from your old one onto the V6 or AWD transmission. I am not sure if the Jeep also used a driver side starter like the AWD or not. If that is the case then it too will have to have the bellhousing swapped to fit in a RWD car.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hemissary View Post
    Yes they will. It it happens to be removed from a Jeep or V6-equipped platform, it will have a higher stall converter.
    I've mainly been a manual car guy I'm not sure what high stall means. I was planning on getting a new one if I need to swap bell housing

Quote Originally Posted by Rockhound View Post
    Yes, but if it comes from a V6 or AWD, then the bellhousing will not be correct. You will have to swap the bellhousing from your old one onto the V6 or AWD transmission. I am not sure if the Jeep also used a driver side starter like the AWD or not. If that is the case then it too will have to have the bellhousing swapped to fit in a RWD car.
    Thanks guys that's great news it'll help with choices lol

I got a transmission from a gs300 and did the same thing swapped bellhousing and got a new torque converter into my ls400 so if need be I can do it again for my magnum.

Last edited by sin.hemi57; 01-12-2020 at 01:55 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sin.hemi57 View Post
    I've mainly been a manual car guy I'm not sure what high stall means. I was planning on getting a new one if I need to swap bell housing

Thanks guys that's great news it'll help with choices lol

I got a transmission from a gs300 and did the same thing swapped bellhousing and got a new torque converter into my ls400 so if need be I can do it again for my magnum.

The torque converter is basically a fluid coupler between the engine and the transmission. The internals can be built such that they allow a higher rpm before they begin to move the vehicle. The heavier Jeep and the less powerful V6-equipped platforms benefited from a higher stall speed. Engines rev higher before moving. This create mechanical advantage that gets both platforms moving quicker / sooner.

Post Thanks / Like
    The torque converter is basically a fluid coupler between the engine and the transmission. The internals can be built such that they allow a higher rpm before they begin to move the vehicle. The heavier Jeep and the less powerful V6-equipped platforms benefited from a higher stall speed. Engines rev higher before moving. This create mechanical advantage that gets both platforms moving quicker / sooner.
    I see the part number for the jeep and v6 nag1 torque converters are the same but I'm trying to figure out which torque converter the 6.4l cars with the nag1 one had so I can go that route. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2006 BB Chrysler 300C 6.4l Swap
    Tuned By Chris At Hotwireauto, SRT Exhaust/Dynamax Race Bullets, 6&4 Piston Brembos, Lmi V2, Tranzformer, BT Catch Can, SRT Wheels, Street Edge Coilovers, SPC Upper Control Arms/Rear Bushings
    Thanks sin.hemi57 thanked for this post
    Likes sin.hemi57 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hunter300c View Post
    I see the part number for the jeep and v6 nag1 torque converters are the same but I'm trying to figure out which torque converter the 6.4l cars with the nag1 one had so I can go that route. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

​6.1 unit with slightly larger pump casing. Lower stall than Jeep / V6.

Post Thanks / Like
    ​6.1 unit with slightly larger pump casing. Lower stall than Jeep / V6.
    Great so the jeep/v6 one it is then. Is it plug and play or any modification needed? I have a 5.7l nag1.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ah gotcha makes sense

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hunter300c View Post
    Great so the jeep/v6 one it is then. Is it plug and play or any modification needed? I have a 5.7l nag1.

Nope; fill the torque converter (TC) first with new ATF+4 (level slowly drops - keep filling to midway up snout), carefully install and rotate to ensure you see / feel the spline structures of of engage (important before install; TC mounting flanges should be ~0.6-7" behind bell housing flange face).

If you drive it aggressively and especially(!) if it has the three kidney-shaped lightening holes, carefully inspect the flex plate for stress fractures emanating from underneath the eight mounting bolts:

If it is damaged, find an OEM 6.1L flex plate (they have no lightening holes).

Finally, make doubly sure the alignment bearing is present and accounted for inside the rear of the crankshaft. Sometimes it remains attached to the previous TC's front alignment snout when the unit is removed (failure to have this critical centering device can be catastrophic)...
    Last edited by Hemissary; 01-12-2020 at 10:23 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    The torque converter is basically a fluid coupler between the engine and the transmission. The internals can be built such that they allow a higher rpm before they begin to move the vehicle. The heavier Jeep and the less powerful V6-equipped platforms benefited from a higher stall speed.
    Not just the stall speed but also the increased torque multiplication. (stall ratio)
    Likes karellan liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sin.hemi57 View Post
    Would a nag1 from newer say 2012 2013 Jeep's chargers etc work in an 05 magnum rt?

Were you asking on reddit yesterday?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Likes sin.hemi57 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AnglerRT View Post
    Were you asking on reddit yesterday?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yup

Likes AnglerRT liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockhound View Post
    Have you ever swapped the "bellhousing" on a NAG1? Because it's not a bellhousing like a manual car.
    2005 Chrysler 300C 5.7 SBE, ported big valved heads, 784ac lifters, SRT 6.1 intake manifold, SRT shorties, custom grind Billy Drakeford cam, SLP LM1, MTCM and GETRAG 3.06 swap.