Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Help with engine surge/stalling

So I’ve done a ton of research and there are soo many things to fail or need replaced, so looking for some help.

The Problem:

I have to give it a little gas right after cranking for it to stay running, or the rpms will go up then back down and shut it off. After starting its fine at idle, until it will sometimes jerk or take 5-6 second to shift when I change gears. Also, I have to come to a stop slowly or it will drop the rpms again and die.

I have already replaced, fixed, gotten rid of:
    -EGR
    -MDS
    -Cam Position Sensor
    -Air Filter
    -PCV Valve
    -Cleaned the throttle body

Post Thanks / Like
    What year? It could possibly be related to the gas tank recall for the early years of the lx family

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Likes md20twenty liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Update:

I have been reading about the IAC, but mine is in the throttle body and doesnt look like it can be removed/cleaned. Do I have to replace the throttle body to replace the IAC?

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry, it’s a 2005 Chrysler 300C. Has upgraded cam and supporting items if that helps.

Post Thanks / Like
    My 06 Magnum was doing similar things before I had the dealership replace the tank under the recall. It’s worth checking out if you haven’t

Post Thanks / Like
    Once again, it is not a recall. It is a lifetime warranty.
    2005 Cool Vanilla Magnum R/T
    20" 2008 SRT Alcoa wheels
    Front SRT shocks/springs
    245/45/20 Firestone Wide Oval, Front Brembo Conversion
    K&N CAI, Diablosport InTune
    MSD Blaster Coil Kit, 6 Disc RAQ Radio
    Thanks AnglerRT thanked for this post
    Likes AnglerRT liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by classicr View Post
    Once again, it is not a recall. It is a lifetime warranty.
    You are correct

Post Thanks / Like
    If the engine problems occur with a full tank, I would definitely get the tank replaced. At the very least it's a free fix that can help rule out one other possible problem.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T: K&N CAI, SRT headers, Magnaflow 3" cat-back, 180 degree t-stat, Diablo Trinity T1000, 300 SRT rims.
    Likes md20twenty, AnglerRT liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Have you put a good computerized scanner on it to see what's going on? Did this begin shortly after installing the cam? Have you done a tune on it since installing the cam? What RPM are you trying to idle it at? As I recall, your cam was slightly more radical than "mild" and may need a tune or, at a minimum, just an idle adjustment to work properly. I've run both my somewhat modded 5.7's with the stock tunes and they run quite poorly with it. If you haven't yet, IMO, you should also do a little tweaking to the transmission. If I had left either of mine totally stock, I would have had to put a new transmission in long ago.

I just recently mild cammed my SRT8 and am still running the stock tune and stock transmission settings on it. It seems to work fine but, because it's kind of a "factory hot rod" it's set up pretty well from the factory and probably won't need a special tune unless I start doing a bunch of other stuff to it and/or want a little more power. The cams in all 3 of my Hemi's are more low end oriented than lots more power on the top end. I don't run mine at 6000 RPM a whole lot (well still more than I should), so I opted for better low/mid range cams.
    Last edited by magnuman; 04-29-2019 at 08:48 PM.
    06 300CSRT8, cammed only so far, 06 Jeep GCO and 05 Magnum RT both modded almost the same, MDS "ON" Lt, Fumoto Drain Valves, BT Catch Cans, SRT8 CAIs, AFE Filters, Sonnax Trans Line Press Booster, SC, DS and HP Tuners, Transgo Shift Kit, ARH Long Tube Hdrs w/3 in Magnaflow/Xlerator AP Exh Sys, Bilsteins, SRT Springs/Sways, Cust Eng Cvrs, SRT8 frt/rear bumpers, FRI Sidewinder Cams advanced (Jeep 6*/Maggie 10*), 6.1 valvetrain, SLP 25% UD Pulley, BBK and Arrington 90mm T-Bodies, SOS Ign Coils,TEA ported/milled heads w/new valve seats, SRT Reps.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah I have an intune i3 and it doesnt throw any codes, that's the weird part. It did start happening after the cam, but ever since then, I've been working with my tuner to get it figured out. I have Jay Greene (Greene Racing) tuning it, but we cant figure out whats causing it and its getting a but frustrating after a month of surging. We are trying to get the good sounding idle, in the low 700's, nothing crazy.I also haven't done anything to the trans, I haven't modified a single thing on my end other than the fans come on earlier to keep it cooler.

Post Thanks / Like
    I’ve been doing some reading.. thoughts on if its the fuel filter? How difficult would it be to change, or would I have to replace the whole pump??

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mandrow7 View Post
    I’ve been doing some reading.. thoughts on if its the fuel filter? How difficult would it be to change, or would I have to replace the whole pump??
    As far as I am aware, the filters are all integrated as part of the pump i.e. not serviceable.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah I have an intune i3 and it doesnt throw any codes, that's the weird part. It did start happening after the cam, but ever since then, I've been working with my tuner to get it figured out. I have Jay Greene (Greene Racing) tuning it, but we cant figure out whats causing it and its getting a but frustrating after a month of surging. We are trying to get the good sounding idle, in the low 700's, nothing crazy.I also haven't done anything to the trans, I haven't modified a single thing on my end other than the fans come on earlier to keep it cooler.
    This is not a high end diagnostic scanner and probably won't give you all the information you need to verify the integrity of the various engine management readouts and modules. A few of the things you'll need to monitor and evaluate are, short and long term fuel trims, timing, oxygen sensor readings at idle and cruise, fuel flow rate, crank/cam position synchronization, etc. A fuel pressure readout would also be handy to have. Results of these things should help point you to, and/or eliminate some of the engine management components as the culprit(s).
    Last edited by magnuman; 05-01-2019 at 04:38 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Update:

I have been reading about the IAC, but mine is in the throttle body and doesnt look like it can be removed/cleaned. Do I have to replace the throttle body to replace the IAC?
    Yes, the IAC "feature" (there really isn't one, per se) is built into the 5.7/6.1's throttle bodies. I wouldn't go changing it right away either, especially if you haven't messed with it and it was working fine before the cam change. It's also easy, again with a higher end diagnostic scanner, to verify proper follower (pedal to TB) operation and do a throttle reset/relearn, if needed. If it needs cleaning, be VERY careful, as it's easy to screw up the electronics and then, for sure, you'll need a new one. I haven't checked, but there is probably a thread somewhere on this forum that will tell the best way to clean the 5.7/6.1 throttle body.

Post Thanks / Like
    Could be a bent valve , or a leaking intake manifold, both won’t always pops codes.
    seen this first hand on many 5.7/6.1s with cam upgrades
    2017 Ram 3500 Cummins Laramie
    2019 Challenger Scatpack Widebody
    2008 Charger R/T sold CAM ONLY RECORD HOLDER 12.34 @108.89 & 1.66 60'

Email mailed tuned by [email protected]mComp268cam,

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast