Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Lifter tapping after repair?

Hey all, recently had major work done to my charger. Had a cam shaft lifter failure. Looks like 2 whiped cam lobes and another 2 were on the way, so a total of 4 failed lifters. Did all new lifters, new 6.4 cam, oil pump, pick up tube, push rods, valve springs, some new valves, valve guide seals, various sensors and solenoids, etc....

The thing Im noticing is that it appears I can definitely hear the lifters tapping from underneath the wheel wells and such? Is this anything I should be worried about? It seems to be consistent and you can hear its all in line...but I was under the impression replacing all the lifters and such that any noise like this would be gone? Is this something to be worried about or is tis normal for these cars? It is also worth mentioning that I have Walmart brand "super tech" oil @ $10 for a 5 gallon jug in it as part of the repair flush. Then I will be switching back to my synthetics... What do you all think?

Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Is it "tapping" all the time or does it change when engine is cold verses when its hot?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by hotrod5.7 View Post
    Is it "tapping" all the time or does it change when engine is cold verses when its hot?
    It seems like I can hear it more after engine has heated up and idles starts to level out.

I can deff here it when im standing outside car on idle. I cant hear it while driving, but if I pass something like a jersey wall or something alike and have the window open I can also hear it. I just thought since everything was brand new I wouldn't hear any noise....but maybe this is normal for these cars? figured I would ask before I start freaking out...

Post Thanks / Like
    Over the years, way too much has been made out of Hemi engine noises (there are multiple reasons for what has been commonly described as the Hemi "tick"). A lot of hand-wringing for nothing. So much so, people chase their tails trying to alleviate what is misdiagnosed(!) as a "problem" (to the dubious point of mixing / matching engine oils and additives).

If your install was performed correctly, proper engine pre-lubrication prior to start-up, proper post-start process it is very likely your engine is operating normally. You can always employ a boroscope to inspect pretty well all internal rotating assemblies.

EDIT; no, new parts do not alleviate inherent engine noises such as the Hemi's "tick" sounds.
    Last edited by Hemissary; Today at 11:55 AM.
    2005 Magnum RT---Viper Venom Red----440ci Aluminum block----Short Runner Valve Intake--410mm BAER 6S Monoblock Extreme--Eibach Multi-Pro 2

Custom--Grille Work--Hood--Headlights--Side View Mirrors--Rear Spoiler--Rear Diffuser--SRV Control System--Turbine Wheels

Likes Rockstar9528 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Is the pushrods length the same between a 5.7 and 6.4? Did you use 6.4 pushrods?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hemissary View Post
    Over the years, way too much has been made out of Hemi engine noises (there are multiple reasons for what has been commonly described as "tick"). A lot of hand-wringing for nothing. So much so, people chase their tails trying to alleviate what is misdiagnosed(!) as a "problem" (to the dubious point of mixing / matching engine oils and additives).

If your install was performed correctly, proper engine pre-lubrication prior to start-up, proper post-start process it is very likely your engine is operating normally. You can always employ a boroscope to inspect pretty well the entire internal rotating assemblies.

EDIT; no, new parts do not alleviate inherent engine noises such as the Hemi's "tick" sounds.
    What exactly is the “post-start” process?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by hotrod5.7 View Post
    Is the pushrods length the same between a 5.7 and 6.4? Did you use 6.4 pushrods?
    Yes, I believe so, I believe they are the exact same part number. I went ahead and did new OEM push rods. They were revised so I figured there was a reason and went ahead and had those replaced since they were coming out

Post Thanks / Like
    Is the 6.4 cam ground onsmaller base circle? If so was push rod clearance checked?
    Thanks WontStopTheFUnk thanked for this post
    Likes WontStopTheFUnk liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hemihackman View Post
    Is the 6.4 cam ground onsmaller base circle? If so was push rod clearance checked?
    That unfortunately I do not know. I’m sure someone here does though. From everything I read and saw the features of the cam pretty much seemed to be the same

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by WontStopTheFUnk View Post
    What exactly is the “post-start” process?

After holding down the accelerator pedal at WOT (no fuel / spark) until full cold oil pressure has been achieved and stabilized (critical - observing on EVIC or a proper oil pressure gauge) and the engine has been successfully started, watching the oil pressure and coolant temp like a hawk.

After the engine successfully starts, again watching coolant temps rise until low speed fan activates while closely observing oil pressure drop as the oil comes up to operating temperature. During this, after cold-start post idle-down has completed to commanded idle, frequently revving the engine up to 2500-3000rpm. The oil pressure delta ensures oil is being delivered and slung by the crank to all recesses.
    Last edited by Hemissary; 08-11-2018 at 09:14 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I honestly don’t think he did that, but I can’t say for sure. I know he let it idle for awhile. But it had really crappy old low grade fuel in it and transmission issues. When I first got it home and started it the first time, I could hear the lifters tapping really loud for a few seconds. I have not heard it make that particular noise since. Finally finished taking care of the trans leaks. Also found fluid was pretty overfilled. From what I was reading, trans temp was at about 160* and it was at like 100 on the trans dip stick. I took some out and ended up at about 60 on the trans dipstick which is where I believe I should be at 160*.

Why is typical oil pressure? When I was logging tonight I saw it range from 15-57 psi

Last edited by WontStopTheFUnk; 08-11-2018 at 09:06 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I honestly don’t think he did that, but I can’t say for sure. I know he let it idle for awhile. But it had really crappy old low grade fuel in it and transmission issues. When I first got it home and started it the first time, I could hear the lifters tapping really loud for a few seconds. I have not heard it make that particular noise since. Finally finished taking care of the trans leaks. Also found fluid was pretty overfilled. From what I was reading, trans temp was at about 160* and it was at like 100 on the trans dip stick. I took some out and ended up at about 60 on the trans dipstick which is where I believe I should be at 160*.

Why is typical oil pressure? When I was logging tonight I saw it range from 15-57 psi

Depending mileage, acceptable idle oil pressure can be as low as 5psi. Typical OEM oil pressure hot is 15 to 25psi.

Post Thanks / Like

Depending mileage, acceptable idle oil pressure can be as low as 5psi. Typical OEM oil pressure hot is 15 to 25psi.
    OK well it has a brand new Melling oil pump, so it sounds like everything is working as it should

I just recently found out after working with Johan that I can connect my Diablo via laptop to car and get access to probably like thousands of other points

Post Thanks / Like
    OK well it has a brand new Melling oil pump, so it sounds like everything is working as it should

I just recently found out after working with Johan that I can connect my Diablo via laptop to car and get access to probably like thousands of other points

There are hundreds of PIDs. You can observe / data log them, but that's it.

Post Thanks / Like
    There are hundreds of PIDs. You can observe / data log them, but that's it.
    Well it’s still pretty cool. I can see all of the things I can’t normally see. I only have basic analog type gauges so I don’t normally have access to that kind of stuff. It was cool to see the oil pressure. I was also able to see the PCM mileage which was nice considering my cluster is a donor and does not match. We were able to pull up the transmission temperature with my dad‘s torque app.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast