Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jerrytotin View Post
    Don’t believe it’s an actual lifter issue. It’s the cast of process of the camshaft. I’ve spoken to higher ups with Chrysler who has engineer friends.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I’ve seen that around the NADodge sight, people are starting to think the cam loves are too soft and lead to them failing. It seemed like the MDS specific lifter wasn’t always the one failing, non-mds lifters seemed to be going bad just as often
    03 Ram 392 Stroker

Post Thanks / Like
    Wish me luck gonna call arington and a local shop that's on inertias site see what I can get for hopefully a decent price. I know the labor is what's gonna kill me

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Called up a local shop and for $3300 for a whole cam kit with lifters springs rods tune ect and estimated 40-45 hp gain

Post Thanks / Like
    Dang that’s a Hefty price tag.

Post Thanks / Like

NEED HELP ASAP!! p0305 cylinder #5 misfire

I mean thats like buy a used built short block territory. Your heads and springs are still good assuming

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BradJo9 View Post
    I mean thats like buy a used built short block territory. Your heads and springs are still good assuming

Yeah that kit is no joke aggressive cam new lifters upgraded springs push rods all gaskets and seals tune, the works which only makes sense to have everything done since I got 135k out of it I figure another 100k of life would be in my future

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 06midnight View Post
    Called up a local shop and for $3300 for a whole cam kit with lifters springs rods tune ect and estimated 40-45 hp gain
    What cam? And 40-45hp. Send a bit weak. The comp 274 cam alone is supposed to up to HP 60.

Likes 06midnight liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    What cam? And 40-45hp. Send a bit weak. The comp 274 cam alone is supposed to up to HP 60.

I was speaking to him on my drive to work this morning and wasn't able to write everything down, I was honestly gonna call to leave a message and wait for a call back but he answered. He did mention the name but I can't remember and said it comes as a complete kit, I want to go by the shop soon n get a more detailed quote on paper. He did make mention of putting the non mds lifters. I know you said you had a customer go to you with this same problem. What would you recommend for a practical fix in my situation? I'm at 135k never really abused the car much, it seems to make sense to do a "kit' that's replaces all the parts to work hand in hand. Luckily I'm not in a immediate fix as I have my truck to drive meanwhile. Would like to know your thoughts

Post Thanks / Like
    My '07 failed the cam. It had the tell-tale "Death Rattle" inside that was clearly the valvetrain noise. I got a quote from the dealership (who specifically told me the older engines ate cam shafts) and it was around $1700-$1800. And that may or may not have included their labor rate?
    Again, OEM parts were about $60 for cam, around $490 each side for lifters, so about $1060 maybe? Plus labor? That must be where they quoted me $1700-$1800.

Anyway, anything aftermarket with labor costing over $3K...? Too much.

Just me $0.02 worth tho! Good luck!
    2013 Charger R/T
    Road & Track Package
    FUN Additions via: TranZformer GEN II, Resonator Delete, DiabloSport Tuning, Sultans Of Spark Coils & a 6.4L SRT intake! Plus loads of Dodge Bad-Assery Built In!!

Post Thanks / Like
    I was speaking to him on my drive to work this morning and wasn't able to write everything down, I was honestly gonna call to leave a message and wait for a call back but he answered. He did mention the name but I can't remember and said it comes as a complete kit, I want to go by the shop soon n get a more detailed quote on paper. He did make mention of putting the non mds lifters. I know you said you had a customer go to you with this same problem. What would you recommend for a practical fix in my situation? I'm at 135k never really abused the car much, it seems to make sense to do a "kit' that's replaces all the parts to work hand in hand. Luckily I'm not in a immediate fix as I have my truck to drive meanwhile. Would like to know your thoughts

I just did a full kit on a 2012 Srt 300,
    I had him at 1650 in parts and I quoted him 1,200 in labor, then of course he will need a tune. However thats my price on some of the parts and my labor rate since I’m just doing it as a side job. I did just however quote a customer 16.4 hours labor for a cam and lifters job, then Plus his parts. He was at about 2400 in labor plus his parts, don’t remember what his parts cost was, but again it was for stock parts. But it was a quote for stock cam. The cams on the VVT 5.7 and 6.4s are SO much more expensive. But I would say if you’re gonna go with an aggressive cam, you’re gonna wanna do the better springs and you always want to do solid lifters, you put a big cam and MDS lifters you’re only asking for trouble, and also do the VVT phaser lock as well. Whoever is gonna tune it will disable VVT and MDS anyways.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MopaR/T View Post
    My '07 failed the cam. It had the tell-tale "Death Rattle" inside that was clearly the valvetrain noise. I got a quote from the dealership (who specifically told me the older engines ate cam shafts) and it was around $1700-$1800. And that may or may not have included their labor rate?
    Again, OEM parts were about $60 for cam, around $490 each side for lifters, so about $1060 maybe? Plus labor? That must be where they quoted me $1700-$1800.

Anyway, anything aftermarket with labor costing over $3K...? Too much.

Just me $0.02 worth tho! Good luck!
    Well most cams for the VVT start at $700 plus a tune around here cheapest is $500 modern muscle has the mds delete with full set of lifters for $419 Then you figure all fluids and gaskets and seals needed so $3k seems to be inline with a cam upgrade done right

Post Thanks / Like
    I just did a full kit on a 2012 Srt 300,
    I had him at 1650 in parts and I quoted him 1,200 in labor, then of course he will need a tune. However thats my price on some of the parts and my labor rate since I’m just doing it as a side job. I did just however quote a customer 16.4 hours labor for a cam and lifters job, then Plus his parts. He was at about 2400 in labor plus his parts, don’t remember what his parts cost was, but again it was for stock parts. But it was a quote for stock cam. The cams on the VVT 5.7 and 6.4s are SO much more expensive. But I would say if you’re gonna go with an aggressive cam, you’re gonna wanna do the better springs and you always want to do solid lifters, you put a big cam and MDS lifters you’re only asking for trouble, and also do the VVT phaser lock as well. Whoever is gonna tune it will disable VVT and MDS anyways.

Would you mind messaging me and helping me decide on what parts would be best for me to help me narrow down what I should go with? I hope I am not bugging with all the questions and all. You have been a huge help with educating me on the cam swap process and first hand knowledge of this since I am new to something like this. Thanks again man I really appreciate it!

Post Thanks / Like
    Would you mind messaging me and helping me decide on what parts would be best for me to help me narrow down what I should go with? I hope I am not bugging with all the questions and all. You have been a huge help with educating me on the cam swap process and first hand knowledge of this since I am new to something like this. Thanks again man I really appreciate it!
    I’ll shoot you a PM with my number. You can text me.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567