Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Its generally the lifter that bites it and that takes out the cam

Sent from my SM-G925V using Scat Pack Forums mobile app
    2008 Magnum BB R/T Hemi Registry # 1584 PPP Stage 2 Cam, JBA Shorty Headers, JBA High Flow cats, Heartthrob Exhaust, Eagle Intake, LMI Intake, MTCM, Blue Tops, ProTorque Converter, SRT Rear, Techo Strut Brace, lowered, Tuned by Diablotoona SOLD--2005 Mineral Gray AWD Hemi Registry # 1154

Quote Originally Posted by Hemissary View Post
    For the work being performed, length is far more important than diameter :^)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Genestealer View Post
    Just pulled the valve cover (10min job). This proves everything, worn intake cam lobe.
    Dodge Charger 5.7 cylinder misfire, worn camshaft lobe - YouTube
    Ya that's what I kinda figured. Now do i upgrade the reman block with new cam hellcat lifters 6.1 valvsprings and pushrods or do I leave it stock and hope it doesn't happen again? Block was rebuilt by mopar 05/17

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Surfer5567 View Post
    Ya that's what I kinda figured. Now do i upgrade the reman block with new cam hellcat lifters 6.1 valvsprings and pushrods or do I leave it stock and hope it doesn't happen again? Block was rebuilt by mopar 05/17
    If you're just fixing the car to sell it, don't bother. If you gonna keep it, why not, i would even update to a performance camshaft for more power.

Post Thanks / Like
    So finally got the motor pulled and low and behold it was the cylinder 5 intake lifter went bad and flattened the cam sadly. So I bought a reman mopar motor off craigslist, brand new, for a 2010 300c. Everything is going together well except the mds solenoids. The plugs aren't the same. Anyone know if there is a conversion harness or new clips I can use??? What do I do?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Surfer5567 View Post
    So finally got the motor pulled and low and behold it was the cylinder 5 intake lifter went bad and flattened the cam sadly. So I bought a reman mopar motor off craigslist, brand new, for a 2010 300c. Everything is going together well except the mds solenoids. The plugs aren't the same. Anyone know if there is a conversion harness or new clips I can use??? What do I do?
    could always delete MDS, not a big advocate of that generally, but it may be the easiest/most supported solution to that problem. Not sure if there is a harness or anything somewhere.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Check out my full build at worldsfastesthemi.com

Post Thanks / Like
    I've thought about going that route but it might be more expensive right now. I'm just trying to get it back on the road.

Post Thanks / Like
    Can you just swap the solenoids from the original engine?

Post Thanks / Like
    They're virtually impossible to get out without breaking them
    Thanks pursuitlx thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Spray some lube on them, I used two paint can openers and lightly wedged one side at a time wiggling them and twisting them gently. Might not work for you but it did for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Waiting for the follow up........

In the meantime, I was told by Dodge mechanic that the camshafts in the HEMI's are notoriously SOFT compound. The wrong oil can cause a sticky lifter and it rounds the cam lobes almost instantly.

Sucks.

He also mentioned that's why the replacement OEM camshaft is around $60 brand new... but the lifter sets, for each side, is about $500 EACH! And since you HAVE to replace the lifters with the cam, the low priced cam is the weak link here.

With labor, that equates to roughly $1700-$1800 dealership job for cam/lifter swap. :( Hence, why I was eager to say GoodBye to the '07 Charger I started with.
    2013 Charger R/T
    Road & Track Package
    FUN Additions via: TranZformer GEN II, Resonator Delete, DiabloSport Tuning, Sultans Of Spark Coils & a 6.4L SRT intake! Plus loads of Dodge Bad-Assery Built In!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Well crap! I my 09 RT started this today, under load it hesitated and check engine light started flashing and threw the p0305 code. Idle is fine it only held back when I was WOT then started shaking the car, dropped my speed and the shaking stopped but the light stayed on. I was hoping it would be a simple fix like a coil pack now I am not to happy

Post Thanks / Like
    Start with swapping the coil pack and checking spark plugs. Then move onto pulling valve covers and visual inspection while turning over by hand. Then leak down/compresson test.

Post Thanks / Like
    So Im guessing worst case scenario seeing how if the spring fails it causes wear on the cam if I have read correctly. Might as well go with a better cam right? Spartan Eagle plus would be a drop in and improvement over stock right?

Post Thanks / Like
    I’ll let someone else chime in if spring failure would lead to a cam lobe being flattened but I don’t think so myself, just doesn’t seem like it would. A spring failure would most likely still allow the lifter and cam to rotate in my mind. Cam damage is from lifter failure.

Post Thanks / Like
    If it literally is just spring failure would that be something I could do myself or is it like everything else on this car that requires special tools?

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast