Page 22 of 24 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Spyder View Post
    Is this really just a problem with the early hemis? I'm considering getting a used Chrysler 300 2nd gen (2011-2014) later on this year and am going back and forth for which motor. SRT is not an option unfortunately. The V6 seems like it has a decent amount of power, but I'm worried I may miss the Hemi of my old mag. But if this is happening to later cars as well, then I'm set on the V6.
    2009 up Hemis don't have the problem of dropping valve seats.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just an update. It's been 2 months and 1,700 miles since my rebuild:

Summary:
    Block- #7 cylinder damage removed at .011", so I had all 8 bored .020" over
    Heads repaired and corrected with all 16 hardened valve seats and a .007" press fit
    NPR pistons and rings
    Comp Cam XFI 260 H cam, pushrods, beehive springs, and retainers
    Melling oil pump
    Clevite tri metal bearings
    Mopar intake manifold, water pump, and timing set
    180 degree thermostat
    Various other new parts and gaskets

The results were great. I was able to keep my MDS with this cam, and the extra pull between 2000-3000 RPMs is noticeable. No tune necessary yet.

I would post pictures but I can't easily find a hosting site that meets this forum's requirements. :(
    Last edited by DMC-81; 04-23-2018 at 08:29 PM.
    Dana

2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (engine rebuilt and cammed at 102K 02/18 due to dropped valve seat flaw)
    2010 Camaro SS
    (Transformers Edition)

1981 DeLorean DMC-12

Post Thanks / Like
    2005 Silver Magnum R/T-
    Forged 5.7 based 392 built by Arrington
    Rear Mount t76 turbo
    3.06 Getrag, Tranzformer (I love that box)
    1st run on new build
    [email protected] with only 4.5 psi and a 1.8 60'

Post Thanks / Like
    103000mi Magnum R/T, owned since 24000mi, never overheated, regular maintenance, per service manual. Dropped #7 intake. Prelim borescope shows cylinder walls are okay and piston has minimal damage. I'll have the heads to machine shop this Monday. I'll know if I have to replace piston once head is removed. IMHO no modern engines should have this kind of issue at or near 100000 or even 200000 for that matter. I really like this vehicle, but no more MOPAR for for me. Once this vehicle is running properly again, it's back to GM for me. I expected this vehicle to last me well into retirement. Here I am 1 year into retirement and I'll be in search of a new vehicle and FCA Products will be off the list.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by gofstbuick View Post
    103000mi Magnum R/T, owned since 24000mi, never overheated, regular maintenance, per service manual. Dropped #7 intake. Prelim borescope shows cylinder walls are okay and piston has minimal damage. I'll have the heads to machine shop this Monday. I'll know if I have to replace piston once head is removed. IMHO no modern engines should have this kind of issue at or near 100000 or even 200000 for that matter. I really like this vehicle, but no more MOPAR for for me. Once this vehicle is running properly again, it's back to GM for me. I expected this vehicle to last me well into retirement. Here I am 1 year into retirement and I'll be in search of a new vehicle and FCA Products will be off the list.
    There aren't any perfect vehicles out there. But, I know what you mean. My 05RT (108k miles)is in a trans shop getting a reman transmission, my first auto trans failure in my decades of driving and I bought the car new. So, I know it hasn't been abused. If mine now drops a valve seat I'll be ready to shoot it between the headlights. By the way, the trans shop told me that they get more GM transmissions to rebuild than any other but they get them all.

Post Thanks / Like
    Many companies have issues with their vehicles. The issue is what the company decides to do after an issue arises. My mother's 2007 Rav 4 had a severe oil burning issue that needed a rebuild. This issue plagued many of their 4 cylinder engines from almost of all the Scion and all. It was just outside of her warranty. The dealership that she frequented decided to do her a favor and only charge her a $500 deductable for an engine rebuild. One year later, Toyota sent out letters to owners of these problematic engines and informed them that the warranty has been extended and bring it in for a free rebuild if you are experiencing these issues. They also reimburse any cash paid out of pocket. After I wrote a letter for her, she was refunded after.

My Magnum had that fuel tank issue where the vehicle would stall after filling it up with fuel. They was eventually forced to do something about. Instead of issuing a recall, they released a TSB which excludes and rebuilt and salvage title vehicles.

Nissan did nothing about the oil burning issues among many of theirs and Infiniti vehicles. Nissan Excessive Oil Consumption - Maxima, Sentra, Altima - Maintenance/Repairs - Car Talk Community

I'm unsure if Honda did anything about their MAJOR transmission failures across their and Acura lines. Even some odd vehicles like the Saturn Vue with a Honda Drivetrain had transmission failures. Honda Accord and Civic Transmission Failure

GM has lots of vehicles out there but too many issues that go unresolved to even mention in this post.

My next car might be a Toyota. I'm unsure but definitely nothing from FCA. I've just gotten a mild engine build that fortunately takes care of this valve seat issue but I planned on upgrading anyway.

Post Thanks / Like
    For a few years, the Toyota V6 in their cars and vans were designed with too small water passages in the heads trying to keep emissions down by elevating the cyl temps I suppose. It was cooking the oil and turning it into sludge with the engines failing. Toyota denied warranty claims for a while saying that obviously the oil hadn't been changed on schedule even if the owner had receipts. Eventually, they realized it was a design problem. Like I said, there aren't any perfect vehicles out there. Some have less design issues than others. But, this Mercedes transmission failure in my Magnum is my first trans failure in my life time of 74 years.

Post Thanks / Like
    Our other cars are a 98 Lexus ES300, never a problem with that engine. changed the timing belt at 85000 and due up for another timing belt change. I think I can keep changing timing belts every 85000 and never a problem into the 300000s. I beat and banged my Grand National and it never misses a beat. I haven't fired my 383 stroker in 55 chvey PU in 12 years. Just fired up and runs great. Only 10000 on that engine, almost new. Last commuter car was 98 Bonneville. I beat and banged that vehicle for 185000 and never a problem. Bought the Magnum to replace the Bonneville, bc of the cool factor and the fact that Chrysler products at some of the best riding vehicles I've ever owned (better than Cadi and Buick for sure). Trannys are another sore subject. What happened to the dipstick? I think most people would at least check fluid level and condition if a dipstick was provided. Instead, I have to buy a $50 tool that looks exactly like a dipstick and probably most of the cost is that temperature to correspond with fluid level. I have a TH400 in my 55 chevy pu that has been behind an LT1 in a chevelle for over 100000 miles and now behind my 383 stroker. Haven't run that trans for over 10years. Had a reseal done and poof runs great. But the nice thing about the Hemi (and most modern engines) is that all the things related to performance (ie composite intake manifold, high cmpression, roller cam, x and h pipe exhaust configuration) or that you've ever thought of having done has been done to this engine. Who would have thunk 350hp with todays fuels and 25mpg and the cool factor. Sorry for the rant, I'm just so ticked right now having to tear into this engine.

Post Thanks / Like
    The only engine failures I've ever had were GM. Knock on wood! I had a 455 Pontiac engine fail in my Granville back in the day at about 55k miles. My 86Monte Carlo SS engine started pumping oil at 107k miles. I milked it for another 15k before having a genuine new GM Goodwrench350 installed by a dealer. That engine was replaced under warranty at 5k miles. The second Goodwrench started pumping oil at 10k miles. The 3rd Goodwrench would smoke like a coal burning freight train if it sat for a few weeks due to the valve seals/guides I presume. I finally sold that piece of crap. I now have a phobia about GM cars.

Post Thanks / Like
    Who would have thunk 350hp with todays fuels and 25mpg and the cool factor. Sorry for the rant, I'm just so ticked right now having to tear into this engine.
    Sorry that happened! No apologies necessary. I was right there with you when mine happened at 102,000 miles. I was steaming! I only rebuilt the engine because it has been one of the best cars I have owned. Mostly for the smiles per miles factor and the built in performance you mentioned. I'm glad that I rebuilt it though. It's even better now with only a little bit more $$ than a down payment on a new one. Hopefully it will run for another 100,000 + miles. Fingers crossed.

Post Thanks / Like
    You should be fine with anything past 2008. The seat metalurgy and fit changed in 2008.

inTune 91 CAI, 180 stat, BB 6dB reso delete,Tranzformer, MDS indicator, ESP/BAS switch. Wire mesh grille, smoked and flashing side markers, 9005 2400k 65W fogs, rear fogs, debadged and demolded, 245/45/20 and 295/40/20 Continental DW's on 9"/10" F/R Viper Replicas, BCR Coilovers, Drake strut brace. Interior accent LED 's. 55/35 tint, BT catch can. LED interior lighting. BT bling, front parking sensors. Rear seat heaters. Color matched tails "MoPar" puddle lights. Custom front lip.
    MyGig 730N, Pyle 9.2" screen, iPod, front and rear cams.

Post Thanks / Like
    Knock on wood...I'm now at 208,000+ miles on my '06 300C and I'm not easy on her.
    Besides the oil pressure switch leaking...ZERO repairs to the engine.
    All accessories are still factory.
    Plugs and oil changes are all I've done...other than tensioner/belt at 100K intervals.
    Never had any engine perform better than my Hemi.

All stock besides an SRT intake box/tube.

Post Thanks / Like
    Dont become a victim. If you love your Hemi like we do. Get the valve seats replaced. There is no amount of proper maintenance that will keep the valve seats in place. Dodge got the tolerances wrong and we are paying for it.

Post Thanks / Like
    At 200K it's time for a new engine anyway.
    2005 Dodge Magnum RT.
    12/2016 - Inertia big valve heads, Eagle intake, non-MDS lifters, Spartan Plus cam, Shorty headers. 390 RWHP, 390 RWTQ. (Work by Inertia)
    01/2017 - Bilstein shocks, SLP 25% underdrive pulley. s/b 400 RWHP, 400 RWTQ now. (Work by me)
    10/2017 - Replaced engine mounts with 392SRT manual transmission, added police oil cooler, additional PS and Trans coolers, Mishimoto radiator. (Work by me)
    10/2017 - Replaced Torque Converter with FTI 3,000RPM, Installed 3.73:1 Getrag kit. (Work by True Street Motorsports)
    11/2017 - Wilwood brakes with 15" front brakes. (Work by me)

Post Thanks / Like
    I thought about a head refresh...engine is still strong, I ran a couple 5.4 0-60 times recently in 50* air, so engine is still making good power.I just can't believe every engine has this tolerance issue...but maybe it is a ticking time bomb.Hate to fix something that's not broken.

Page 22 of 24 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 LastLast

Share This Thread