Post Thanks / Like

2017 300S swap to active exhaust?

Hey all,

Wondering if anyone has any input on swapping out the stock exhaust on a 2017 300S 5.7l to the active exhaust out of a 2019 Challenger Scat Pack? I can get one real cheap and wondering if it is possible? I've dome some searching on the forum here but not finding much. I see that they would need to be stretched about 6" to line up the mids. I'm thinking it might require headers (dia. difference?) and not sure what would be necessary to get the active exhaust to function?

Thanks for the time.

Post Thanks / Like
    That sounds like a lot of work and extra fabrication for minimal results. The active exhaust is 2.75" piping from the cats. The active exhaust resonators have little to no insulation and have a great growl. Same thing goes for the mid mufflers. You could just install 2.75 piping to mid mufflers of your choice, then some hellcat/scat pack resonators.

Could you get the active runners to even work? An MSD window switch activates based on throttle load, like when people use NOS. That sounds like a lot of wiring and homework to figure out how to get them to open.

The exhaust manifolds won't match your 5.7. You'd need 6.4 manifolds and mid pipes. Again, lots of money to still sound a little less quiet than a factory scat (engine displacement).

My suggestion is to pass on the active exhaust and go with a cat back exhaust.
    - 2007 Charger 3.5 SXT, Sold 8/2017
    - 2017 Charger 5.7 R/T Super Track Pak, Ceramic Tinted windows, Widebody staggered wheels and tires, tinted Tails/sidemarkers, RBG Demon Eyes, Whole car splitter kit, 8000k HID Headlights, ZL1 rock guards, 2021 Hellcat widebody Spoiler, Ikon rear diffuser, 3M matrix black dual stripes, Carbon fiber interior, Carbon fiber steering wheel w/ red leather, Razors edge strut tower brace, Hemi Fever Tunes, Flowmaster Super 10's, Diablosport Intune i3/PCM.
    Best 1/8 mile time: 8.860 @ 82.81mph

Post Thanks / Like
    The 5.7l got the active exhaust in the dodges in 2017, so you could get a dodge charger exhaust and cal, though I don't know if there are any other configuration differences between a dodge and chrysler that might cause problems with the cal.

Post Thanks / Like
    They wouldn't have a way to use the 17 exhaust, or any active exhaust, their 300 doesn't have the wiring or connectors to connect to the electronic valves.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, absolutely would need to do wiring, just assumed it was already on his list since he was pursuing a 6.4 active system. Going to the 5.7 dodge system would still require getting connectors, pins, wires to go from the exhaust controller to the ECU, and also make sure that the Chrysler ECU is "stuffed" with the same control boards as the Dodge version so the ECU can activate the system (just make sure it's the same part #, should be) and then get a Dodge active cal put on the ECU. The 5.7 exhaust would save exhaust fabbing, but wiring work would be the same as for the 6.4L exhaust.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have done most of what he is asking. Here are a couple of points....
    -2015 later cars have different exhaust routing around the diff on the right side
    -Active exhaust cars have different mounting. 4 mounts vs 6. The 2 in front of the diff are the same. Active exhaust cars do not have mounts in front of the rear Muffler/resonator and the rear mount is totally difference and quite expensive.
    -The active exhaust controller is CANBUS controlled so their is no easy way to control it manually. That is why you see all the kits to remove it or lock them in the open position and trick the CANBUS into think it is cycling on Hellcats.
    -Midpipe to catback connection point is the same location for all the cars i have messed with all the way back to a 2.7 Magnum, just different pipe diameters. I have put 5.7 Catbacks on V-6 cars and Hellcat Catbacks on 5.7 Cars. I have also put Pre-8 Speed exhaust on 8 Speed Cars.

What I have currently is 2017 300s. I have used the 2011 to 2014 Corsa exhaust on it and now have JBA Ceramic Long Tubes with Cats and Borla Touring Atak exhaust. It was just too noisy for me, so I have build something that allows me to control the active exhaust valves with the Homelink utilizing a different version of the Kuster Actuator , but it is not a cheap way to go.

So can it be done, yes!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Lenny H View Post
    So can it be done, yes!
    With the right amount of money and time, anything is possible on these cars. You decide how much of both you'd like invest to get it to work.

Wiring up aftermarket electric cutouts would be easier for your 300. Your other option is to contact a custom tuner to see if active would be possible for your car. I had a tuner disable my active valves (I was getting a custom tune anyway). No issues or CEL after 3 years. They are open all the time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey all,

Thanks for the info. I agree that it sounds like a lot of work that can be better handled another route.

Post Thanks / Like
    Entire drop off exhausts show up for the Chargers from time to time, they would at least bolt up to your car, and you just need to pin the exhaust valves open

The Scat version has 2.75 inch ID for the mid pipes, while the 17 up Charger has the mid pipe section of the 2.75 exhaust pinched down to 2.5" ID

I installed a Scat exhaust on my 2016 R/T but it had the valves already cut out(made it much easier to ship in 3 pieces) , so it cost me $300 to have a shop made the active delete and modify my stock mid pipes with 2.75 in adapters and fab up the hangers. I love how it sounds, just enough bark for me

June 29, 2020 - YouTube

2016 Charger R/T Cold Start - YouTube