Post Thanks / Like

I don’t own a 300 but I rented and drove from ...

So I’ve been mulling this car for over a year. My son bought a 2016 c couple years ago and when I first drove it I couldn’t believe it. I’ve owned almost every vintage BMW 7 series from e32 to e65 body style. I just donated my 1992 735i that had 295,xxx on it.

Im what you would call a reluctant buyer. Right now I drive my 2000 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer 4x4 that has 185,xxx and is pristine.

I figured the best way to determine IF I really liked this car AND was confident enough in the quality would be to rent one for a week.

I drove this black/black AWD Touring model this week from Chicago to Melbourne Fl.

Holy ****!! I’m still confused as to why these aren’t more mainstream as I rarely see these in the burbs of Chicago.

The ride was firm and quiet. No rattles no annoying noises. The cabin is huge! I find this car very comfortable and smooth as silk. The v6 is very torquey. Incredible throttle response from all speeds. Through the Tennessee mountain area on hwy 24 this car handles really well. No excessive body rolls. The standard Michelins didn’t slip or squeal. The brakes ...THE BRAKES... let’s just say I’ve gotten intimately familiar w the inside of the front windshield. They stop this car really quick even at high speeds going downhill with unnoticed fade.

I had the cruise set at 85 for stretches late at night ( I drove through except for a 4-hr nap at rest stop) and there were a couple jaunts to 100mph - I just had to know lol!

Now keep in mind I’ve made this exact trip many times in all my vehicles. My bimmers especially. When I purchased my 2003 745 iL in Ft Lauderdale I drove it off the showroom and headed to Chicago. This Chrysler 300 must be related to BMW because i did the same things in this rental I did in my bimmer which was set cruise control at 100mph through I-24 in Tennessee. This 300 ate the mountain curves up. Now this rental doesn’t have BMW stability/ anti roll or the headlights that turn but from a pure seat of the pants feel there seems to be an incestous relationship between Chrysler and BMW because the ride is soooo similar.

My 2003 745 MSRP was almost $70k. ( I leased it). For the price difference even at full MSRP I would never buy or lease a New bimmer again.

I love everything about this car EXCEPT two things.
    1. There are a few bad reviews on car sites ranging from electronic gremlins to the sunroof leaking and in one case flying off!
    2. To change radio stations I have to take my eyes off the road and aim my fingertip to the little >> button on the display. No steering wheel controls I could find for radio.

Oh...the stereo sounds excellent btw.

I love this car and I’m going to put it throw some serious gymnastics on my trip back next week. Let’s see what this virgin rental can top out at. Let’s see if I can break traction on I-24.

Last thing before I forget. I spent $95 on gas!! That is it. This Pentastar engine is incredibly efficient.

Ill post an update about my return ride next week.
    Last edited by El Comandante; 12-28-2018 at 01:34 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Next time you're in it, the radio controls should (if it has them, which most of them do) be on the back of the steering wheel spokes at 9 and 3 o'clock.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Sound car, love mine. Rare at car shows
    2013 Chrysler 300S, 6.4 BGE with 6.4 SRT cam, AIT 18% OD pulley, E-force with 2.75 pulley, fastman 84+4 mm throttle body, tuned by Dings Racing, 1 7/8 kooks long tubes w/hi-flow cats, Magnaflow Cat-back, FTI 2800 stall, Trans built by Hellraiser, Dings Racing valve body and tune, Getrag 3.73, Walbro 400LPH, DW 65# inj. LG aluminum rad. Dual SRT fans

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by punisher69 View Post
    Next time you're in it, the radio controls should (if it has them, which most of them do) be on the back of the steering wheel spokes at 9 and 3 o'clock.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
    Ah! Found them. Thank you.
    Likes punisher69 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Any similarity you noticed towards your big BMW's is likely due to the far-off (at this point) German luxury sedan heritage of the LX family of cars. They borrowed heavily from Daimler-Benz designs during the Daimler-Chrysler era. A good bit of that hardware still exists in the current models (mostly suspension stuff.)

If you've owned a lot of BMW's for long miles then a few gremlins shouldn't be anything to scare you off. Out of the big three automakers, Mopar seems (to me, anyway) to have more hit or miss on QC but speaking in general terms these are excellent cars for the money.

If maximum MPG isn't a deciding factor, try driving a 5.7-equipped model. If the performance gets your attention and buying brand-new isn't imperative, go back several years and try a 300 SRT. It's practically an E63 AMG on a budget.

Richard
    06 Silverado ISS / 06 Silverado SS / 06 300C SRT8

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by someotherguy View Post
    Any similarity you noticed towards your big BMW's is likely due to the far-off (at this point) German luxury sedan heritage of the LX family of cars. They borrowed heavily from Daimler-Benz designs during the Daimler-Chrysler era. A good bit of that hardware still exists in the current models (mostly suspension stuff.)

If you've owned a lot of BMW's for long miles then a few gremlins shouldn't be anything to scare you off. Out of the big three automakers, Mopar seems (to me, anyway) to have more hit or miss on QC but speaking in general terms these are excellent cars for the money.

If maximum MPG isn't a deciding factor, try driving a 5.7-equipped model. If the performance gets your attention and buying brand-new isn't imperative, go back several years and try a 300 SRT. It's practically an E63 AMG on a budget.

Richard
    lol! I’m actually an old guy at 59 but I’m still cool😎

i find the power of this v6 is pretty impressive and all I need. I forgot to mention that during my trip an orange car w black wheels blew by me like I was standing still. I think it was a Charger because it was 4 doors. It was night time but am sure it was Mopar. It sounded so loud it made me thick of an angry beast. The sound was distinct in loudness and violence. I was at cruise 80mph he came up behind me and the headlights were very similar to this 300 then he came around me and let off the gas a little then he hit it again. Damn near blew my hair back and my windows were rolled up!

you mentioned the Daimler heritage w these 300’s. That’s it right there. It definitely has a German car feel. No doubt about this. I’ve driven German cars since my first VW bug in 1972, my dads bmw 2002 w 4-spd, then my first 7-series which was a 3.5litre 6-in line engine.

Im just loving this car so far.

Post Thanks / Like
    I just learned of these cars too, cause I was a brainwashed GM coolaid drinker. Love my 300S V8 RWD, optioned up. Agree with others, if mpg is not a biggy, drive the V8, but you won't get AWD if you need it.
    Also, my headlights do turn around corners and it is awesome, and they do actually let me see better than my other cars that don't. I drive a lot of faster rural roads.
    One thing nice about 300 options is you don't have to buy a sunroof if you don't want to, I didn't.
    Now the S rides a little firmer though than the other models. But it is perfect at high speed.
    Webp.net-resizeimage (2).jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    If you want more zoom look at an older SRT8 like mine. Cheap for the performance with all of the luxury.
    2012 300 SRT8: 22" Vossen wheels, Nitto 420 265/35/22 front and 295/30/22 rear, SLP Bigmouth II exhaust, Tuned by Hemifever, Mishimoto 180° stat, Legmaker Tru CAI, Billet tech Oil Catch can.

Post Thanks / Like
    I love my 2018 so much that in just 10 months I've put almost 20k on her. Its so comfy and the V6 just moves. It is honestly faster than my 05 Magnum RT was. For where I live with traffic etc, the V6 is plenty. I test drove the V8 and man it was fun, but I just didn't need it. I actually love my base model because it does not have leather seats. No more sticking to them in the summer. I got the sport appearance package which has black headlights, tinted tails, black 20" wheels, black chrome emblems, and black grille. Honestly the only mods I would really want to do to the car is maybe a C bumper or some sort of fog lights and lowering it.
    2018 Chrysler 300 Touring with Sport Appearance Package.