Post Thanks / Like

Removal of rear sun shade in 2019 300S

Yesterday evening, I started disassembling the rear interior of my new 300S in preparation for audio upgrades. Man, what a PITA the removal process for the rear sunshade has been. I reached a halfway point and then stopped to regroup and review some very detailed instructions that I found on another forum. I should have the sunshade out today, so that I can take measurements for my subwoofer mounting ring.
    Last edited by NGOT8R; 12-04-2018 at 04:15 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Curious to see what you come up with. I'm planning on modifying the rear deck of my 2016 300s for some subs and haven't starting taking things apart yet.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mopar_Mike View Post
    Curious to see what you come up with. I'm planning on modifying the rear deck of my 2016 300s for some subs and haven't starting taking things apart yet.
    Disassembly was a very tedious process, but a little patience paid off in the end. I think the factory could have made the rear deck speakers easier to replace by mounting them from the bottom. As it stands right now, if someone blows one, the rear deck has to come apart to change it. Add in the sun shade and things get even more complicated. I am trying to come up with a bottom mount design for my sub. I'll keep you posted on what I come up with.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mounting from the bottom is my plan as well, however I'll be bolting a baffle to the steel rear deck for a pair of 15" subs to mount to. I was just curious how tedious of a process the disassembly was. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Pictures I hope to follow for people.
    20% window tint Custom Wrap Corsa Extreme Cat-Back exhaust Cooper Zeon RS3-G1 275/40r20

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mopar_Mike View Post
    Mounting from the bottom is my plan as well, however I'll be bolting a baffle to the steel rear deck for a pair of 15" subs to mount to. I was just curious how tedious of a process the disassembly was. Thanks.
    Removal process for rear deck and sunshade:

1. Remove battery negative terminal and weather stripping around rear door sill.
    2. Use screwdriver of chisel to push down tab behind side bolster and remove side bolster.
    3. Remove seat belt lower mounting bolt and pull up on door sill trim panel to remove.
    4. Pull upper trim panel out away from body of car (held on by clips and feed seatbelt through opening).
    5. Remove two push pins in rear deck.
    6. Pull air bag cover panel out away from body of car (secured by three metal clips and two tether straps at the top and two yellow push pins on the bottom). Note: Once the panel is pulled away from the body, use your index finger or something to push the tether locking pin in and slide the tether strap out of the locking clip.
    7. Remove front portion of rear deck cover (slide forward and out. Note: You can either lay the panel on the floor in front of the rear seat or unbolt the center seatbelt and feed it through the opening in the rear deck cover if you wish to completely remove the cover.
    8. Pull sunshade guide track out away from body of car (held on my three metal clips) and lift up guide rails to remove.
    9. Use trim panel push pin removal tool to pry up the two push pins on the rear portion of the rear deck cover (located behind the sun shade), while simultaneously using amsecond trim panel pry tool to push in one side of the push pin.
    10. Carefully lift up rear portion of the rear deck cover while feeding the two ears on either end out from underneath the sunshade.
    11. Use a long 1/4" drive extension, rachet and socket to remove three screws holding the sunshade in place.
    12. Unplug the large electrical connector (located underneath center of sunshade) and lift sunshade up and tilt it forward to remove it from the three standoffs and out of the car.
    13. Repeat this process for opposite side.

You will now have complete access to the factory speakers and subwoofer mounting location. I am going to have my windows tinted before putting the rear deck back together, as it will give the tint installer better access to the window.
    Thanks Mopar_Mike thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevens12 View Post
    Pictures I hope to follow for people.
    I have been taking photos of the work, but haven't posted them because I can't upload them using the advanced/ manage attachments options here on this site. I read that it is recommended to upload them to something like Photo Bucket or a similar photo hosting site first in order to post them here. Hopefully the we will have the option to do everything here on this site at some point, as that would be much simpler.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok, I'll give it a try to see if I can upload photos for you guys. image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Notice the odd shape in the right rear corner of the subwoofer cutout.
    image.jpgimage.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by NGOT8R; 12-04-2018 at 04:39 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    image.jpg

I made a template out of poster board to match the oddly shaped subwoofer cutout, as well as another speaker ring. I then transferred them to MDF and used a compass to make perfect circles. The subwoofer will be sandwiched between these two piece of MDF, while the rectangular pieces may be used as risers to lift the amp racks if I decide to run some of the wiring underneath them. I will drop the MDF off at my local audio shop tomorrow and have them route out the pieces, so that they look professionally done.