Post Thanks / Like

Anti flicker measures needed for OEM HID equipped vehicle

Had a question regarding my 2006 300C SRT8 which came factory with HID headlights. Just had a ballast go out recently and was thinking of just replacing it with an aftermarket D1S HID kit (most likely Morimoto), due to better availability and being cheaper than replacing the OEM valeo ballast. I was wondering if I will still need to install a capacitor to prevent flickering that halogen cars need if my car is already wired for HID's from the factory?
    Looking at the wiring diagram it appears that there is a relay specifically for HID equipped cars that halogen ones do not have/use. I just wasn't sure what would trigger the flickering or possibly any error codes that would be thrown. Any info is appreciated, thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    When I replaced my factory bulb the D1S had the ballast attached to the bulb. That's why they are $80 a pop

Post Thanks / Like
    That’s not the ballast, that is the igniter that’s integrated into d1s bulbs. The ballast is below bolted to the bottom of the headlight.

Post Thanks / Like
    The anti-flicker kits are so cheap now I would do it a a "just in case", they can only help, no way they can damage unless you hook them up wrong

I needed them for my HID H1's but my 2006 was an OEM halogen car
    2006 Charger SRT8

Post Thanks / Like
    thanks, I may end up doing that. I was thinking since the ballast is bad, and most of the aftermarket ballasts are pretty small, I would try taking the "guts" out of the stock unit and use the empty casing to house the aftermarket kit. So I was hoping to only use what was necessary and still install similar to stock.