Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Moparjimbo View Post
    I have that same Autel scanner, it is excellent. Highly recommend a good scan tool is well worth the $. You practically need one nowadays for everything from key fob programming to TPMS sensors to sub systems to you name it!
    Amen to that. It amazes me that some folks will spend all kinds of $$$ randomly replacing parts hoping to stumble onto the problem, but won't spend the same $$$ on a quality scanner that helps tremendously in troubleshooting any module on the vehicle. It's also a good way to score points with neighbors, friends, and relatives (if you like them) by diagnosing their rides and potentially saving them lots of $$$$.
    06 300CSRT8, Comp cammed, 85mm TB, HP/DS Tuners, 06 Jeep GCO and 05 Magnum RT (5.7's) both modded almost the same, MDS "ON" Lt, Fumoto Drain Valves, BT Catch Cans, SRT8 CAIs, AFE Filters, Sonnax Trans Line Press Booster, SC, DS and HP Tuners, Transgo Shift Kit, ARH Long Tube Hdrs w/3 in Magnaflow/Xlerator AP Exh Sys, Bilsteins, SRT Springs/Sways, Cust Eng Cvrs, SRT8 frt/rear bumpers, FRI Sidewinder Cams advanced (Jeep 6*/Maggie 10*), 6.1 valvetrain, SLP 25% UD Pulley, BBK and Arrington 90mm T-Bodies, SOS Ign Coils,TEA ported/milled heads w/new valve seats, SRT Reps.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by magnuman View Post
    Glad you found it. Aren't good scanners neat? I know mine has saved me a ton of $$$ over about the past 6 years or so. What kind do you use? I started with a cheapo years ago and when my Son bought an Autel DS708 for his shop, I asked him if I could take it home and "play" with it. I was astounded at everything it could do, and went and bought one. His later got stolen (shop burglary) so I gave him mine and went out and bought an Autel MS906. The cable connection to the OBDII port drove me nuts.....was always in the way. They had just come out with a blue tooth version the same scanner so I sold the cabled one to my Son's shop and went and bought my current one, an Autel MS906BT. I'll hang on to it for a looooonng time, as I am very happy with it and everything it can do.......more than I'll probably ever need.

On your PCM, what is your vehicle's build date? The early, early 05's had a real cheesy, problematic PCM and they changed over to the newer type sometime around July 2004, which is when my Magnum was bullt. I lucked out and got one of the good ones. The 05's built before about that time all had the lousy one
    I too have an Autel scanner, the DS708. It is updated to about 2015/2016 depending on the brand. It's an awesome scanner even if it is a bit slow. It can do just about everything a genuine Mopar scan tool can do. I use the actuators frequently when troubleshooting too. I was shocked to find that out when I plugged it into my 06 300C and can do so much like adding or removing components like VES or Sirius (SDARS) or changing the DRL etc, etc. It can even do VIN changes. I lusted after a newer and probably faster 906 or 908, but in reality I will be fine for a long time with the DS708.

The early 05s had the big heavy PCM with large heatsink and black face. The later 2005 and 2006 had the all aluminum, lighter version. Both versions suck in my opinion because they are NGC3. The 07 and up went to NGC4 and I believe they are built a lot better.
    Last edited by Rockhound; 02-17-2020 at 07:33 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockhound View Post
    I too have an Autel scanner, the DS708. It is updated to about 2015/2016 depending on the brand. It's an awesome scanner even if it is a bit slow. It can do just about everything a genuine Mopar scan tool can do. I use the actuators frequently when troubleshooting too. I was shocked to find that out when I plugged it into my 06 300C and can do so much like adding or removing components like VES or Sirius (SDARS) or changing the DRL etc, etc. It can even do VIN changes. I lusted after a newer and probably faster 906 or 908, but in reality I will be fine for a long time with the DS708.

The early 05s had the big heavy PCM with large heatsink and black face. The later 2005 and 2006 had the all aluminum, lighter version. Both versions suck in my opinion because they are NGC3. The 07 and up went to NGC4 and I believe they are built a lot better.
    You're right about a "little" slower, but that's not really a problem, IMO. I'd probably still have mine if my Son's didn't get stolen. After I bought the MS906 I was happy for a while and, yes it is a little faster and has a few more bells and whistles, but not really that much different overall. When I found out they came out with the blue tooth version, I had to have it just so I could get rid of that OBDII cable. I asked my Son if his shop would buy the regular MS906 and, after a couple months they finally said yes. I only lost about $100 on the deal and ended up with the BT. Now I am happy and, yes, these things are worth their weight in gold when it comes to troubleshooting, component functional testing, some programming and such. I even take mine on trips when we travel, just in case.....don't leave home without it. I've also activated the DRL's on both of the LX's and attempted to do it on my Jeep. It goes through the motions and acts like it's going to work and then comes up with, "Wrong Country Code." It also says that if I change the Country Code, I can't change it back. If I could go back I'd give it a try, but I am afraid of doing something that I can't undo. It would help if I knew the actual programming differences between the U.S. Country Code and the Canadian one. Then I could make a "more educated" decision if I wanted to change it or not.

I wish my Maggie had the NGC4 bus, as I understand it is soooo much better than the NGC3. I can't even use my HP Tuner for transmission adjustments on my 06 Jeep because it has the NGC3 bus. In 2007 they upgraded it and the transmission features are now covered. Wonder if changing to a later PCM/TCM is possible and would work without too many glitches?

Post Thanks / Like
    Anyone tried a Launch scanner? I think they are a lot cheaper and do about the same stuff.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123