Post Thanks / Like

LX Battery, starter or something else - an intermittent problem.

Once, months ago and now three times in the last three days, my 08 300C 5.7 has misbehaved when I go to start the engine.

All seems well until I hit the starter. The engine struggles like a dying battery, then that clears and the starter grinds feverishly for a few seconds, they engine fires up. Any ideas? The EVIC tell me the battery holds 11.8 after sitting for a while and goes down to just about 9. Car starts fine otherwise. I'm going to disconnect the battery but even so, there's no way to tell, one way or the other, if it'll happen again. I hate this kind of thing.

-Tom

Post Thanks / Like
    i would check the battery cable connections at the battery and the starter especially if you live in the rust belt. A fully charged battery should be about 12.6 volts. If the EVIC is correct you may need a new battery.

Post Thanks / Like
    When you say grinds, are you saying the starter teeth are actually grinding / skipping against the flex plate? How many miles on the starter? Charged is at least 12.3-4V in situ...
    Last edited by Hemissary; Yesterday at 05:31 PM.
    2005 Magnum RT---Viper Venom Red----440ci Aluminum block----Short Runner Valve Intake--410mm BAER 6S Monoblock Extreme--Eibach Multi-Pro 2

Custom--Grille Work--Hood--Headlights--Side View Mirrors--Rear Spoiler--Rear Diffuser--SRV Control System--Turbine Wheels

Likes KYUUBI liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Starter just whirring. No bad sounds.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Santa Tom LaBelle View Post
    Starter just whirring. No bad sounds.
    Have the battery's load capacity checked.

Post Thanks / Like
    sounds like the battery is tired. Get it checked like Hemissary stated.

Post Thanks / Like
    Like Hemissary said, charged should be around 12.6v and should never drop below 9v when starting. Most parts stores like napa or O'Reilly's will check it for free.

Post Thanks / Like
    I had the exact same issue with my car. It was the battery. Remember there is a procedure that you need to follow once you have disconnected the battery. You have to set steering radius, windows etc. Youtube it. Also make sure that your contact points are clean and have no corrosion on them when reinstalling the battery. Same applies with the starter.
    2006 Chrysler 300C (heritage edition)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ttype View Post
    I had the exact same issue with my car. It was the battery. Remember there is a procedure that you need to follow once you have disconnected the battery. You have to set steering radius, windows etc. Youtube it. Also make sure that your contact points are clean and have no corrosion on them when reinstalling the battery. Same applies with the starter.
    There is no requirement to do anything after reconnecting the battery.