Post Thanks / Like

Rotors, Pads & etc.

2008 C. Some time ago I started picking up a vibration on braking. Warped rotors, I think. Now the pads are in real need of replacement so . . .

Ah, but I've noticed that if I first pump up the brakes, taking up all the slack, the vibration goes away. Sometimes it's less, but if I pump them right, no vibration. I've had people in the car with me and they notice the same thing.

Now being a Gen 1 300, it has the funky front end noise over small roughnesses in the road (right side). However, if I slightly drag the brakes, no noises.

Also, in the warmer weather, everything in the front end quiets down.

Front end man says all looks well and tires are fine.

My buddy is a retired Snap-On dealer and has a lift in his shop and I'm gonna put Old Blackie up in the air. What do you folks think I'll find? My bet is a loose caliper. Thoughts? Comments?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Santa Tom LaBelle View Post
    2008 C. Some time ago I started picking up a vibration on braking. Warped rotors, I think. Now the pads are in real need of replacement so . . .

Ah, but I've noticed that if I first pump up the brakes, taking up all the slack, the vibration goes away. Sometimes it's less, but if I pump them right, no vibration. I've had people in the car with me and they notice the same thing.

Now being a Gen 1 300, it has the funky front end noise over small roughnesses in the road (right side). However, if I slightly drag the brakes, no noises.

Also, in the warmer weather, everything in the front end quiets down.

Front end man says all looks well and tires are fine.

My buddy is a retired Snap-On dealer and has a lift in his shop and I'm gonna put Old Blackie up in the air. What do you folks think I'll find? My bet is a loose caliper. Thoughts? Comments?
    Check your ball joints too that could be the source of your clunks

Sent from my SM-S975L using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Did you ever find the cause of this noise? I too have the same noise over bumps. But they have lessened a lot since I changed the rotor and pads which tells me that I am in the right area. The caliper has that movement in them when I put my hand on it with the new rotors and pads, and if I shake it good enough I can hear the same noise it gives when going over bumps (obviously not as pronounced, but the same). I'm thinking it must be the slider pin being worn and giving that slight movement that can create that noise?? I only get it from the drivers side tho. Can anyone else confirm this? or add to this?
    2006 Chrysler 300C (heritage edition)

Post Thanks / Like
    Is it a clunk noise? If it is these cars are extremely common for having the upper ball joints get worn out. I know mine were just fine when I had it on the lift at work to do an oil change and when I pulled it in less than 2 months later I found a very loose upper ball joint on my driver's side. Put in new upper control arms and an alignment and all noises were gone. I'd also retorque your caliper bolts while you're in there. Don't want one of those coming out on the highway.

Post Thanks / Like
    Finally found what was causing the clunking noise in my front end. I have replaced damn near everything from swaybar bushings, end links, outer tie rod, slider pins, rotors, brake pads etc only to find out that last year before I bought the car, the upper control arms were replaced. Turns out the shop that put them on didn't tighten down the drivers side properly. I found this out when I took the wheel off and grabbed it to stand up. I heard that noise, so I sat back down and shook it well only to see that it was loose. Tightened it up with a 18mm wrench and for the first time once I have owned this car, it makes zero noise and is a absolute pleasure to drive now.