Post Thanks / Like

Overhead Console: Sunglass Storage Repair

The Sunglasses Storage compartment door is messed up. The left-hand pivot or hinge seems to be broken or out of place. This is the compartment access door that is of the "push/push" design.

Question is, do I have to pull off the whole console to have access to repair the access door?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like
    yup, you have to pull it out..

and it is only held in with clips.. just get your fingers between the console and the headliner on both sides and pull it straight down, gotta use dem muscles to get it, the clips are tight..

don't pull too hard though, you have several wires you have to unclip after it is detached before you can remove it.
    I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you fail to understand.

Post Thanks / Like
    do you need one?
    [x]Predator, [x]Tail tint, [x]True C.A.I., [x]HID fogs, [x]Window tint, [x]Home-link, [x]Factory U-Connect, [x]red interior lighting, [x]cabin filter, [x]6way passenger power seat, [ ]300-C exhaust, [x]07 EVIC, [x]steering wheel buttons, [x]Auto climate, [x]Real auto headlamps, [ ]red halo's, [x]MP3 jack, [ ]rear diff, [ ] wheel mounted shift buttons, [x]SRT8 TCM.

Post Thanks / Like
    JetBlack, hey, thanks a million for your really quick answer. It'll proly have to wait 'till next week when I get back in town, but at least, now I know where to go from here.

Sinnedforme, if you mean do I need a new compartment door; I'm not sure yet, since I have not gotten it all out and in front of me to see what's broken. I don't even know how to fix this thing once I get the console down and out of it's place.....does the dealer make me buy the whole console? or just the door? or can I buy parts for the little door hinges?

Many thanks guys for your help!

Post Thanks / Like
    you can get the whole overhead from ebay for like $40.. dealer price is a couple hundred. if you have homelink just swap the computer from your into the replacement so you don't have to reprogram, it's 3 torx screw that hold the board in place once you pull the unit down..

Post Thanks / Like
    JetBlack, many thanks again for taking the time. Yes I do have Homelink, so thanks for letting me know to swap the computer.

So, is just replacing the whole console my best fix for this you think?

Am I wasting my time trying to "poorboy" fix the hinge/pivot on the Sunglasses door?

Post Thanks / Like
    I had the exact same thing happen on my Mag. Left side busted!
    Turns out - for mine - it's not door; it's the hole in the console itself. The top of it broke so it's no longer a hole, but a slot!
    Same question as noatropy possed...is it worth trying to fix or just buy from ebay? Are those cheaper ones any good for fit and finish?
    Spending time I don't have; on modifications I can't afford; to impress people I don't know.

No question is stupid; if you don't know the answer!

My Mag is gone. :(

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rockettman View Post
    I had the exact same thing happen on my Mag. Left side busted!
    Turns out - for mine - it's not door; it's the hole in the console itself. The top of it broke so it's no longer a hole, but a slot!
    Same question as noatropy possed...is it worth trying to fix or just buy from ebay? Are those cheaper ones any good for fit and finish?
    They aren't cheaper just used from wrecked cars so fit and finish shouldn't be an issue.

And fyi 2005 thru 2008 jeep grand cheorkee use same unit if you happen to have a hard time locating an lx one.

Posted via LXFMobile

Post Thanks / Like
    rockettman, a hole that is now a slot.....yep! That's what this is too. Next week I may try to pull my console out and check to see if I can do something about that hole that is now a slot. I'll post here what I find and if there's a home-made fix. This is on my Wife's '08 300C which is still under warranty. But I do not like my dealer so I'll try my fix before I take it back.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by noatrophy View Post
    rockettman, a hole that is now a slot.....yep! That's what this is too. Next week I may try to pull my console out and check to see if I can do something about that hole that is now a slot. I'll post here what I find and if there's a home-made fix. This is on my Wife's '08 300C which is still under warranty. But I do not like my dealer so I'll try my fix before I take it back.

honestly I would nail them for a new console, if you try to fix it, then warranty will be denied because you tampered with it.

there really isn't much you can do to fix it, happened to me as well and fo $40 on ebay I found a used one. the part in question it very thin, and it is flexible to allow the door to click open and closed, having large, heavy sunglasses or other items in the door that are over sized cause it to jam and then break, in my case my sunglasses were not heavy, but they had a very dramatic curve to them they were not flat and it caused stress on both the glasses and the door when it was closed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Warranty let them eat it. they should be able to order it and the tech can swap it out in the parking lot while you wait.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok, guys, you talked me into it. I'll get a dealer to fix it, since I very well could break it....that'd be just my luck.

Thanks again guys for all your help and suggestions.

Share This Thread