Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

EGR Valve replacement

Has anyone ever replaced or cleaned an egr valve on the 3.5L V6? If so, tips on how to do it would be appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    here you are
    3.5L

1. Disconnect negative battery cable.
    2. Remove purge solenoid from bracket.

3. Relocate the purge solenoid.

4. Unlock and disconnect the electrical connector from EGR valve.
    5. Remove the wiper module, (Refer to 8 - ELECTRICAL/WIPERS/WASHERS/WIPER MODULE - REMOVAL) .
    6. Remove shock tower brace and relocate.
    7. Remove the upper intake manifold, (Refer to 9 - ENGINE/MANIFOLDS/INTAKE MANIFOLD - REMOVAL) .

1 - TUBE 2 - EGR VALVE
    8. EGR valve (2) and tube (1).

9. Remove tube bolts (1) to EGR valve (3).
    10. Remove tube (1) from intake manifold.
    11. When removing EGR upper tube assembly being careful not to drop the silicone rubber seals in the intake manifold. Clean gasket surfaces on the EGR valve. Note that any loose dirt can lodge between the pintle and the seat and cause valve leakage that will give a rough idle and depressed manifold vacuum.
    12. Remove EGR valve mounting bolts (2).
    13. Remove EGR valve from vehicle.
    14. Clean mounting surface.

Good luck

Post Thanks / Like
    Considering that I don't even know what a purge solenoid is, or where it is I don't think I'd ever get past step #3:Relocate the purge solenoid

Post Thanks / Like
    the first two pictures are of the purge soleniod................

Post Thanks / Like
    I tried to disconnect and move the purge soleniod when I added the cabin air filter but I was not able to. I have no idea how it comes off the holder post.

Post Thanks / Like
    Odd, theres a EGR on the 3.5L? On the LH models the 3.5L high output doesn't have a EGR, it does have a electronically controlled intake damper that acts as a EGR.

Post Thanks / Like
    Purge soleniod should just slide off
    pull stright up.

Stock 2016 GO MANGO Charger R/T 8 speed.
    Hell Cat Air Filter,Tints,Tail light tints, De Badged
    Air silencer Mod

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ZMagnum View Post
    I tried to disconnect and move the purge soleniod when I added the cabin air filter but I was not able to. I have no idea how it comes off the holder post.

I did one today and did not have to remove the purge soleniod in order to access the EGR.

Post Thanks / Like
    I did this a while back. Really pretty straightforward. Took longer to get the intake off to get at everything than to actually do the swap. Getting the 2 bolts that hold the thing on is a little tricky due to space but really not that bad. Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by klarmie View Post
    I did one today and did not have to remove the purge soleniod in order to access the EGR.
    You also don't have to remove the upper intake either. You do have to leave the EGR tube loose to be able to put the tube into the intake and be able to bolt the valve to the R. cylinder head. You just need some extensions, universal joint 1/4 drive metric sockets (Should be 10mm for the valve bolts and 8mm for the tube bolts.) or half deep 1/4 drive sockets, which MAC tools makes a set of.
    IMPORTANT NOTE!!! Disconnect the battery when done before starting the car back up. Clearing the code will not clear the adaptive memory which is adjusted to the operating range of the old EGR. Not clearing the memory will result in the car to run rough and have poor acceleration. And it won't clear itself out- I had a truck that had one replaced at my old dealer a couple weeks before we closed. The customer came to my new dealer a month and a half later and it was still stummbling and running rough. Just disconnected the battery for a minute or two, reconnected it, took it for a drive, all set.
    2017 Dodge Charger R/T Scat Pack - Go Mango
    2011 Dodge Charger R/T Plus AWD- Redline - 5.7L Hemi Registry #1650 Tbird100636

2006 Dodge Charger R/T- Inferno Red - Gone - 5.7L Hemi Registry # 00696 Tbird100636

Post Thanks / Like
    In post #3 picture #3 it show a forward to a dealer connect site , how do I get into that?

Post Thanks / Like
    You need to download the service manual. Do a search on here for service manual and there is a link to download it.
    ____°şİMo0NDoGGieİş°
    PERFORMANCE MODs: kw coilovers,zoomers exhaust,jba shortie headers,diablo predator,hammer h.o.CAI,power slot rotors,hawk pads
    COSMETIC MODS: 20" zinik's,msrt8 front fascia,colour matched fog light bezels & rear wing,shaved front badge,6000k HID headlights & foglights,shaved & debadged,tinted FOG tail lights
    INTERIOR MODS: nav radio,msrt8 kicker sub-woofer,T-handle shifter knob & leather boot,BT aluminum dash knobs

Post Thanks / Like
    If only it was as easy as the photos make it look. If you havnt seen it yet the EGR valve is at the back of the engine so its very hard to reach. I guess that removing wiper arm and intake are just so you can access the valve.

Mine was throwing the check engine light but the car ran fine with out any gas milage issues so I kept putting it off. Now that colder weather is here the light has gone out and stayed out.

Im sure not that I have posted this when I start my car in 2 minutes the light will come back on

Post Thanks / Like
    My car started to feel like it was losing power. Almost like 1 cylinder shut off then came back on. It stil pulled strong when I floored it so I payed no heed. Then as I pulled into the driveway I got a P0404 code. "EGR Open position performance".

Does anyone know if the EGR is covered under warranty or is it considered a consumable? I have to take the car in anyways but thought I'd check here first. If it's not covered then i'll want to do it myself.

Those of you who went in, did you clean or change your EGR?
    Want to know more about me or my car?
    http://www.viennatech.ca/300web

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Share This Thread