Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Puzzled!

Post Thanks / Like
    Hmmm. Maybe I need to keep the camera with me.. Seems everytime I have the camera ready it doesn't act up...

Wonder if the bitch got some Christine metal in her?? 😂😂
    Battleship Bismarck
    2015 Durango Citadel
    2012 Chrysler T&C
    2008 SRT8 Charger, Stockish!!
    2007 SXT Magnum
    2002 RT Intrepid
    2001 Ram 4x4
    2001 Town & Country Limited
    1999 Ram 1500 swb
    1998 2dr Neon Highline 5sp

I know your FAST cause I was Hauln' Azz when I passed you!
    Member, Space City LX
    IG, oo_silversrt_oo

Likes reefstar liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Little update.

Added the Zmax and seems to have corrected the issue. A entire week and it starts up at the bump of the key.

On that note,
    I picked up a Shaker hood for a cool $250. Looks decent!

https://i.imgur.com/bo2Gdd4.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/QqvNcYG.jpg
    Last edited by CUUDA; 03-25-2021 at 07:31 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Got it inspected and tagged. Went for a 100 mile drive parked it. It did fine throughout the drive. Next morning this,

Dodge 3.5 Issues. - YouTube

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CUUDA View Post
    Got it inspected and tagged. Went for a 100 mile drive parked it. It did fine throughout the drive. Next morning this,

Dodge 3.5 Issues. - YouTube
    Sounds like a bad starter to me. It’s cranking over very slowly.

2005 ViperBit 3.5L

Post Thanks / Like
    Nah... Not the starter. At the begining of the video you can hear horrible clacking sound then the oil pumped up and the clacking went away.. Then you can hear it spin over like it has no compression. At the end of the video it starts hitting compression.

Post Thanks / Like
    Do you have actual compression numbers? If the compression is low (all plugs out, wide open throttle and cranking with a gauge and testing all the cylinders), try a wet compression test by adding a bit (maybe a teaspoon size amount) of engine oil to the top of the pistons through the spark plug hole. It will smoke like hell for awhile if it starts but if your numbers go up on the gauge, you know it is a piston ring issue. If the numbers stay low then you know it is an upper end issue like valves. Good luck.
    Last edited by Car Dr.; 04-02-2021 at 08:15 PM.
    Thanks CUUDA thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Puzzled!

Nah... Not the starter. At the begining of the video you can hear horrible clacking sound then the oil pumped up and the clacking went away.. Then you can hear it spin over like it has no compression. At the end of the video it starts hitting compression.
    There’s no way you don’t have compression. You would know. There would be oil clouds following you everywhere (bad rings).
    Or your valves would all need to be stuck open, that’s not gonna happen, or your spark plugs aren’t in (and you would know that)

The engine is turning over slowly. The clacking sound could be the solenoid kicking the starter into the flex plate.

Even if it isn’t you’re starter, then your battery is toast.

Or ... your valves are not opening, and your not getting any fuel or air, and your only building compression. It does not sound at all like it’s freewheeling.

Didn’t you say you rebuilt your rocker arms?

Post Thanks / Like
    It could be the starter gear isn't kicking out, so your hear the starter turning over, but since the engine isn't spinning it sounds like no compression. Every once in a while the gear kicks out and the engine cranks over normally. That's my bet. How do you know it's the oil pump you're hearing?

1949 International KB2, 302/T5
    1968 Dodge Dart GTS, 340/727
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T
    2016 Dodge Durango Limited
    1949 International KB2 "Mater" 302/T5

1968 Dodge Dart GTS "The Drat", 340/727

2006 Dodge Magnum R/T the "Wagnum", 5.7/auto

2016 Dodge Durango Limited, 3.6/auto

Oh Drat! Racing
    Likes jdm7, reefstar liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Puzzled!

Quote Originally Posted by GTSDart340 View Post
    It could be the starter gear isn't kicking out, so your hear the starter turning over, but since the engine isn't spinning it sounds like no compression. Every once in a while the gear kicks out and the engine cranks over normally. That's my bet. How do you know it's the oil pump you're hearing?

2006 Dodge Magnum R/T
    I can’t think of anyway that it could be spinning with no compression and not have other totally obvious signs. Smoke or steam everywhere.

He could have lost a couple of cells on his battery, enough to hold a charge, but not enough CCAmps on startup.

Try another battery if you can. If that has no change... it’s got to be the starter. Crank it over and watch the accessory belt. If it’s not moving, or it’s moving slowly...
    Last edited by reefstar; 04-02-2021 at 10:29 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by reefstar View Post
    I can’t think of anyway that it could be spinning with no compression and not have other totally obvious signs. Smoke or steam everywhere.

He could have lost a couple of cells on his battery, enough to hold a charge, but not enough CCAmps on startup.

Try another battery if you can. If that has no change... it’s got to be the starter. Crank it over and watch the accessory belt. If it’s not moving, or it’s moving slowly...
    Is the engine really spinning over though?

2006 Dodge Magnum R/T

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GTSDart340 View Post
    Is the engine really spinning over though?

2006 Dodge Magnum R/T
    Doesn’t sound like it to me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sound alike the starter is free spinning.
    Prop your phone up on something and take a video of the belts while cranking.

Sent from my iPhone using Scat Pack Forums
    Likes jdm7, GTSDart340, reefstar liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Stand in front of the engine bay while someone else cranks it over. May want to pull the starter and see what the gears look like.
    - 2007 Charger 3.5 SXT, Sold 8/2017
    - 2017 Charger 5.7 R/T Super Track Pak, Ceramic Tinted windows, Widebody staggered wheels and tires, tinted Tails/sidemarkers, RBG Demon Eyes, Whole car splitter kit, 8000k HID Headlights, ZL1 rock guards, 2021 Hellcat widebody Spoiler, Ikon rear diffuser, 3M matrix black dual stripes, Carbon fiber interior, Carbon fiber steering wheel w/ red leather, Razors edge strut tower brace, Hemi Fever Tunes, Flowmaster Super 10's, Diablosport Intune i3/PCM.
    Best 1/8 mile time: 8.860 @ 82.81mph

Post Thanks / Like
    When this starts acting up have someone crank it and use a can of start up fluid and spray some in the throttle body and see if it fires off, might want to check for any fuel bleed off with pressure guage also.

Post Thanks / Like
    Old trick I've heard - tap the starter with a hammer to see if you can shake things loose. How does a hammer fix a starter? | Parkside Motors

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast