Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 86
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Eastern WA
    Posts
    246
    Post Thanks / Like

    This confuses me...

    With the sheer volume of 3.5L engines out on the street, it just baffles me about how little amount of activity there is in 3.5L forums.

    Is it because owners feel an “inferiorship” because they do not own a Hemi?

    Is it because anytime anyone starts a project, someone jumps in and says “why not just buy a Hemi”?

    Is it because nobody has any issues with the 3.5L?

    What do you think?

    It’s just odd... Chrysler made versions of this engine for 27 years...
    Likes Lowlife44 liked this post

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Jacksonville, FL
    Posts
    4,405
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by reefstar View Post
    With the sheer volume of 3.5L engines out on the street, it just baffles me about how little amount of activity there is in 3.5L forums.

    Is it because owners feel an “inferiorship” because they do not own a Hemi?
    That's a strong assumption. I would say, for the most part, those who wanted an LX platform car but didn't need a V8 chose the less expensive V6. It is simple as that. Of course, there is the buyer who wanted a Hemi and didn't have the funds to buy one.

    Is it because anytime anyone starts a project, someone jumps in and says “why not just buy a Hemi”?
    That will always be a reasonable option, even financially.

    Is it because nobody has any issues with the 3.5L?

    What do you think?

    It’s just odd... Chrysler made versions of this engine for 27 years...
    And that is the crux of the issue. Is the 3.5L motor the top performance motor option for the model car you have?

    For the LX Platform the 3.5L motor is clearly not the top performance motor option. If you owned a Prowler whose only performance motor option was the 3.5L V6, now that raises the interest to the top. Anyone with a Prowler performance upgrade attracts the attention of many in the Prowler community. Just installing a Hemi, in the case of a Prowler is a very difficult and expensive upgrade.

    Your 3.5L upgrade efforts would be greatly appreciated at the Prowler forum (prowleronline.com)
    Just my opinion. Was this any help?
    Terry

    2005 Magnum RT load runner 2.6: Inertia Motorsports 419 Stroker, Predator Tune: 475rwhp & 465rwtq, Crower Cam, Kook's Headers, 3 inch "Custom" Exhaust, Tunable Induction Intake, NAG1-HTC Tranny, 3.55 Gears, 600hp DSS Half-Shafts, TrueFiber Challenger Hood, Enkei Wheels 18"x9", MT 28.00" / 12.00" x 18" radials on rear, Paneled Rear Side Windows, GoManGo Front Seats, Eibach Springs/Dampers, Wilwood Calipers, Rear Wiper Removed, Billet Technology enhancments.
    2019 Octane Red Charger GT
    1999 Plymouth Prowler (yellow) Prowler Pro #11
    2020 Charger Scat Pack Widebody

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Eastern WA
    Posts
    246
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RT NOMAD View Post
    Just my opinion. Was this any help?
    Terry,

    As always, Thanks for the response. You sort of made my point though. You went back to performance and/or cost. Personally, I specifically looked for the 3.5L because of my history with that engine.

    My point was - the sheer volume of 3.5L engines owners that must be out there. So when it comes back to people discussing the 3.5L option, are owners disenfranchised because they are instantly met with the performance and you chose the "cheaper choice" scenario?

    Even in my engine rebuild post ("My EPIC Waste of Time...") one of the very first responses was essentially 'Why are you doing this to a V6?' and "You'll never get the V8 Sound". On the other hand I've gotten no response from anyone regarding a possible cross reference billet belt tensioner. Is that because ppl read 3.5L and move to the next post?

    In my opinion, I think the 3.5L base of owners is a massive base of people who just don't want to defend their choices, they just want to talk grease and bloody knuckles all the same. Certainly a portion of them (Challenger and Charger owners) must be interested in potential upgrades beyond a CAI kit (Starting with a Hemi is too easy...LOL) but performance is not the only thing.

    I'm just simply surprised that the "3.5L V6 Forum" isn't much more active based on sheer volume alone. Does that make sense?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Houston TX
    Posts
    4,119
    Post Thanks / Like
    Probably much simpler to look at it this way, as a general rule, those with the 3.5 (and the 2.7 as well) are less likely to be enthusiasts that would join a forum, but are instead people that just needed a car.

    Richard
    06 Silverado ISS / 06 Silverado SS / 06 300C SRT8

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Eastern WA
    Posts
    246
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by someotherguy View Post
    Probably much simpler to look at it this way, as a general rule, those with the 3.5 (and the 2.7 as well) are less likely to be enthusiasts that would join a forum, but are instead people that just needed a car.

    Richard
    Richard,

    That would come down to numbers again.

    I’ve seen ALOT of Hemis out there that look like grandmas doilies! Not much enthusiasm there for sure!

    I would tend to agree that the ratios of enthusiast should increase, as engine displacement increases.

    As you move into 392, SRT and up I would tend to agree with you strongly though.

    But 1% of 1000 is still the same as 10% of 100. Or is it that the Hemi crowd is also pulling from the truck family?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Jacksonville, FL
    Posts
    4,405
    Post Thanks / Like
    I've been an LX Forum member since 2004. The points of interest within the membership has evolved as technology has evolved. All of 2004 and 2005 offered very limited performance options with the exeption of some bolt-ons. A great deal of the forum interest was appearance options in the early years. This sorta leveled the field with the 2.7L, 3.5L, and the 5.7L. All could equally participate for the quest for the best looking LX.

    Performance interest, though it was present, had very few options. Therefore, much less forum activity. The car shows seemed to favor only slightly the Hemi's. I saw many decked out V6 300's and Magnums. some true works of art. Car show awards failed to recognize the Hemi's as superior. The FLXC had many gatherings that were equally represented by the three motor options.

    Diablo changed all of that. They opened the door for a multitude performance options. It wasn't long before the LX Forum activity changed too.

    And as to sheer numbers, my question to reefstar: Do you know the total number of LX cars produced with the 3.5L motor and what percent they are of the total production number of LX cars? I would guess the percentage of 3.5L LX's is pretty small. Wasn't 2010 the last year for the 3.5L motor? And that only covers about a 1/3 of the production years of the LX cars. I would be interested in knowing how many LX Forum members currently own a 3.5L LX.

    The 3.5L motor is about ten years in the rear view mirror. I think you might be too close to this particular subject to see the reality. Remember I own a Prowler and I see your pain. Just know the Prowler is much more a "show" car than a "go" car.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Jarrell, TX
    Posts
    1,679
    Post Thanks / Like
    Easy answer is it is very nice 4 door grocery getter and soccer mom car. If you look at almost any dealer inventory you will see a 5:1 ratio of SXT's to R/T's/Scat Pack's etc. Also they is very little performance parts for the V6. Just one mans opinion.
    2017 Granite Crystal Scat Pack
    My Scat Pack Web Site
    Thanks reefstar thanked for this post
    Likes Lowlife44, reefstar liked this post

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Eastern WA
    Posts
    246
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by hemi_57 View Post
    Easy answer is it is very nice 4 door grocery getter and soccer mom car. If you look at almost any dealer inventory you will see a 5:1 ratio of SXT's to R/T's/Scat Pack's etc. Also they is very little performance parts for the V6. Just one mans opinion.
    Well, that’s what I’m trying to work on ... LOL

    Bolt on and elbow grease performance

    I think a lot of that has to do with 3.5L knowledge (history) and maybe perceived discouragement.

    My 3.5L EPIC waste of time!!! Why not!
    My 3.5L EPIC waste of time!!! Why not!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk



  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    224
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by reefstar View Post
    Well, that’s what I’m trying to work on ... LOL

    Bolt on and elbow grease performance

    I think a lot of that has to do with 3.5L knowledge (history) and maybe perceived discouragement.

    My 3.5L EPIC waste of time!!! Why not!
    My 3.5L EPIC waste of time!!! Why not!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    To preface this, I own a Hemi. I refused to even consider the V6 when I was in the market. That being said, I appreciate people doing things differently. Would I modify a V6 car? No. But I think it's cool when people do things that aren't the usual trend. I bought a Magnum to be different than everyone who owns a Charger/Challenger/300. I own a couple other old oddball cars for the same reason. Everyone has their opinions, and I agree with the above post that most people who buy the lower trim cars are just looking for a stylish, reliable car to get to work/school/wherever in. They aren't likely to come find a forum unless they have a problem.

    1949 International KB2 "Mater" 302/T5

    1968 Dodge Dart GTS "The Drat", 340/727

    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T the "Wagnum", 5.7/auto

    2016 Dodge Durango Limited, 3.6/auto
    1949 International KB2 "Mater" 302/T5

    1968 Dodge Dart GTS "The Drat", 340/727

    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T the "Wagnum", 5.7/auto

    2016 Dodge Durango Limited, 3.6/auto

    Oh Drat! Racing
    Thanks reefstar thanked for this post
    Likes reefstar liked this post

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Eastern WA
    Posts
    246
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RT NOMAD View Post
    I've been an LX Forum member since 2004. The points of interest within the membership has evolved as technology has evolved. All of 2004 and 2005 offered very limited performance options with the exeption of some bolt-ons. A great deal of the forum interest was appearance options in the early years. This sorta leveled the field with the 2.7L, 3.5L, and the 5.7L. All could equally participate for the quest for the best looking LX.

    Performance interest, though it was present, had very few options. Therefore, much less forum activity. The car shows seemed to favor only slightly the Hemi's. I saw many decked out V6 300's and Magnums. some true works of art. Car show awards failed to recognize the Hemi's as superior. The FLXC had many gatherings that were equally represented by the three motor options.

    Diablo changed all of that. They opened the door for a multitude performance options. It wasn't long before the LX Forum activity changed too.

    And as to sheer numbers, my question to reefstar: Do you know the total number of LX cars produced with the 3.5L motor and what percent they are of the total production number of LX cars? I would guess the percentage of 3.5L LX's is pretty small. Wasn't 2010 the last year for the 3.5L motor? And that only covers about a 1/3 of the production years of the LX cars. I would be interested in knowing how many LX Forum members currently own a 3.5L LX.

    The 3.5L motor is about ten years in the rear view mirror. I think you might be too close to this particular subject to see the reality. Remember I own a Prowler and I see your pain. Just know the Prowler is much more a "show" car than a "go" car.
    Sure, the 3.5L engine is 10 years in the mirror. That’s why I would think more ppl would be breaking into them since the warranties are long gone.
    The 3.5L was more than an LX motor... I’m not trying to isolate LX owners. I talking about 3.5L owners as a whole.

    I’ve been wanting to dig into this engine since I owned my first one. Mopar built this engine as their Can Am engine, so the performance is there. But it’s not gonna be a V8 performance engine, it’s gonna be a V6.

    I’d love to see a true bolt on SC for it all the way to the intake manifold. Not a Heinz 57 set up.

    Love the Prowler BTW. Always wanted one... I’d love to see one with a rumble seat! LOL

    Just my 2 cents.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Bedford, Texas
    Posts
    4,760
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by reefstar View Post
    Sure, the 3.5L engine is 10 years in the mirror. That’s why I would think more ppl would be breaking into them since the warranties are long gone.
    The 3.5L was more than an LX motor... I’m not trying to isolate LX owners. I talking about 3.5L owners as a whole.

    I’ve been wanting to dig into this engine since I owned my first one. Mopar built this engine as their Can Am engine, so the performance is there. But it’s not gonna be a V8 performance engine, it’s gonna be a V6.

    I’d love to see a true bolt on SC for it all the way to the intake manifold. Not a Heinz 57 set up.

    Love the Prowler BTW. Always wanted one... I’d love to see one with a rumble seat! LOL

    Just my 2 cents.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The biggest thing you've overlooked is the amount of people who buy a car just to have a car to drive. They don't want to/ don't care to/ have no desire to ever work on/ modify/ make better whatever car they bought.

    We see only a minute number of people here on the forums that enjoy modding. The average car owner just isn't into it. That's why the Mopar aftermarket has NEVER matched Ford or Chevy, nor will it ever.

    Too many people just don't give a crap. They just drive and take it somewhere when it breaks.
    Likes Hemissary, Lowlife44, GTSDart340 liked this post

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    224
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by punisher69 View Post
    The biggest thing you've overlooked is the amount of people who buy a car just to have a car to drive. They don't want to/ don't care to/ have no desire to ever work on/ modify/ make better whatever car they bought.

    We see only a minute number of people here on the forums that enjoy modding. The average car owner just isn't into it. That's why the Mopar aftermarket has NEVER matched Ford or Chevy, nor will it ever.

    Too many people just don't give a crap. They just drive and take it somewhere when it breaks.
    And with that, if they do make a mod it's usually visual (wheels etc) or a CAI, and that kind of information is well covered using a simple Google search.

    1949 International KB2 "Mater" 302/T5

    1968 Dodge Dart GTS "The Drat", 340/727

    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T the "Wagnum", 5.7/auto

    2016 Dodge Durango Limited, 3.6/auto

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    224
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RT NOMAD View Post
    I've been an LX Forum member since 2004. The points of interest within the membership has evolved as technology has evolved. All of 2004 and 2005 offered very limited performance options with the exeption of some bolt-ons. A great deal of the forum interest was appearance options in the early years. This sorta leveled the field with the 2.7L, 3.5L, and the 5.7L. All could equally participate for the quest for the best looking LX.

    Performance interest, though it was present, had very few options. Therefore, much less forum activity. The car shows seemed to favor only slightly the Hemi's. I saw many decked out V6 300's and Magnums. some true works of art. Car show awards failed to recognize the Hemi's as superior. The FLXC had many gatherings that were equally represented by the three motor options.

    Diablo changed all of that. They opened the door for a multitude performance options. It wasn't long before the LX Forum activity changed too.

    And as to sheer numbers, my question to reefstar: Do you know the total number of LX cars produced with the 3.5L motor and what percent they are of the total production number of LX cars? I would guess the percentage of 3.5L LX's is pretty small. Wasn't 2010 the last year for the 3.5L motor? And that only covers about a 1/3 of the production years of the LX cars. I would be interested in knowing how many LX Forum members currently own a 3.5L LX.

    The 3.5L motor is about ten years in the rear view mirror. I think you might be too close to this particular subject to see the reality. Remember I own a Prowler and I see your pain. Just know the Prowler is much more a "show" car than a "go" car.
    Along with this, I feel like the V6 cars were used, and then not having the same residual value as the Hemi cars, were simply discarded. They weren't worth the investment to keep them on the road in a lot of cases. I'm not trying to say they were crap, but it's just the way things go. They weren't worth fixing after an accident or whatever may happen.

    1949 International KB2 "Mater" 302/T5

    1968 Dodge Dart GTS "The Drat", 340/727

    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T the "Wagnum", 5.7/auto

    2016 Dodge Durango Limited, 3.6/auto

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Eastern WA
    Posts
    246
    Post Thanks / Like
    The biggest thing you've overlooked is the amount of people who buy a car just to have a car to drive. They don't want to/ don't care to/ have no desire to ever work on/ modify/ make better whatever car they bought.
    Too many people just don't give a crap. They just drive and take it somewhere when it breaks.

    Nah, I don't think I overlooked it. I agree with you. Most people do just buy a car to drive it.
    But I'm still surprised with the sheer number of those engines that there wouldn't be more discussion, whether universal or performance related. But nevertheless... I'm gonna get this 3.5L a bit more "fun ponies". Unfortunately Mopar already used the "3.5 High Output" name (when really they de-tuned it. I'll need a different name for it. "3.5L Higher Output" LOL

    Didn't realize until too late that I had put my post under the "General LX Discussion" page. Too bad I couldn't just add a Topic in the "3.5L V6 Forum" that direct linked over to it. Oh Well.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta
    Posts
    15,509
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'll preface by stating - beauty is in the eye of the beholder. This alone should be the only reason why anyone elects to modify their ride. Doing so to invoke positive responses from peers, to justify your own existence plays into poor self-worth and tribalism which unfortunately - is rampant.

    We, as in those who elect to modify our rides, are a very small minority of the driving population on this continent. It's getting significantly smaller every year now.

    As NOMAD and others aptly point out; even the number of Hemi-equipped platforms seriously pales in comparison to Chevy and Ford. It took many years - after(!) the LX platform was released - for legitimate performance parts to arrive on the scene. We were, and still are, a very small segment of the Aftermarket Performance Industry. We simply do not have the volumes of dedicated owners who wish to mod their rides. We, even with Hemi-equipped rides, will never dominate the Aftermarket Industry. In fact the writing has been on the wall for some time; our days are numbered as it is - even for over-powered OEM vehicles.

    So - finding legitimate performance parts for any of the V6 offerings; let's just say there simply is not a market - as seen by the Aftermarket Industry.

    Whatever the other reasons, mostly emotionally-driven, why the V6 engine and / or equipped platforms is low on the totem pole will never change. To me, souping up any sort of 4-door sedan is simply cowing to what the industry has elected to offer us. To me, a station wagon is a has-been from an era of suburbanism and the bullsh!t patriarchally-driven misnotion that this is what housewives were allocated to drive. So changing one into a machine that can seriously, when required, embarrass that patriarchal mindset (five / six-figure sportscars on a road course for example) stands on it's own merit.

    I built the (my) wagon for me...cause that's ALL that matters. It meant designing and building a lot(!) of parts to achieve the end-result. That(!) was the enjoyable part - plus the results while driving (sidenote: I view car shows as an opportunity to enjoy the work of others and learn - not any sort of affirmation. Leaving the Magnum out on the street allows me to walk around admiring other people's work till I get bored, get back in the car and enjoy the rest of the nice day day - ​actually driving :^).


    With your own machine, that is all that should matter to you. Build stuff, or solicit those who can offer guidance to allow you build stuff. Don't let the egos of others dictate what you like and / or find enjoyable or what you can or can't do...
    Last edited by Hemissary; 10-22-2020 at 07:05 PM.
    2005 Magnum RT---Viper Venom Red----440ci Aluminum block----Short Runner Valve Intake--410mm BAER 6S Monoblock Extreme--Eibach Multi-Pro 2

    Custom--Grille Work--Hood--Headlights--Side View Mirrors--Rear Spoiler--Rear Diffuser--SRV Control System--Turbine Wheels

    Likes 300srt8v56, Ultimagic5, GTSDart340 liked this post

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Share This Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •