Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 4.0l v6 ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DB3NTS View Post
    In theory, could you swap the 4.0 shortblock with the 3.5 shortblock, sounds cool but i wouldnt want to lose my ported heads, cams and intake
    The 4.0L block is almost completely identical to the 3.5L block. The only significant change is that the 4.0L block has larger diameter main bearings than the 3.5L.

The 4.0L cylinder head castings are identical to the 3.5L cylinder head castings. The 4.0L camshafts have more duration than the 3.5L camshafts, and I think they have a slightly higher lift, but they're otherwise a bolt-in part.

Your ported heads and ground cams and ported intake should bolt onto the 4.0L block just fine.

2005 Dodge Magnum SXT - 3.5L HO V6 - NSG370
    Likes jross239, tf34mech liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Got a new oil cooler, a bunch of different bolts, and my lower intake manifold today! With luck, I will be doing some more work on my 4 liter block this weekend. I might even port-match the lower intake manifold to the heads...

Post Thanks / Like
    Here's the link to the thread for putting the 4.0 Liter crank in a 3.5 block. I think the 4.0 crank is nodular iron so if you're thinking of adding forced induction down the road keep the boost relatively low.

3.5L Stroker
    Last edited by tf34mech; 02-09-2018 at 05:21 PM.
    Likes jross239 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by tf34mech View Post
    Here's the link to the thread for putting the 4.0 Liter crank in a 3.5 block. I think the 4.0 crank is nodular iron so if your thinking of adding forced induction down the road keep the boost relatively low.

3.5L Stroker
    I am not going this route. This information, about grinding down a 4 liter crank to fit a 3.5 block, is interesting in it's way, but it is ultimately irrelevant to my purpose.

The idea here is to show that any LX owner looking to replace their 2.7L or 3.5L, can fairly easily swap in a 4 liter V6 out of a Chrysler Pacifica or a Dodge Nitro. The work required to swap in this 4 liter block is only slightly more that the work that would already be required to swap in a replacement 3.5L engine. All that is really needed is the 4 liter short block, some gaskets from Rock Auto, and possibly a few parts off eBay (which would mainly be for the 2.7 folks).

The LX 3.5L oil pan bolts right up. The LX 3.5L motor mount brackets bolt right up. The LX 3.5L inner timing belt cover bolts right up. I am going to prove this weekend that the LX 3.5L lower intake manifold will bolt right up. My 3.8L manual transmission dust shield holes match the bellhousing bolt pattern on the 4 liter block as they do on the LX 3.5L motor, so I know an LX 3.5L transmission will bolt right up.

The only question I have left is whether the LX 3.5L crank pulley will fit, and I am reasonably certain it will.

Post Thanks / Like
    Seeing as how it's finally warm enough, and I finally have some little bit of free time...

I could bolt the left and right engine brackets onto the 4 liter block. I also verified that the Pacifica crank pulley cannot be used, but the LX crank pulley will bolt on.

Also did some calculations, and figured that either the stock 3.5L fuel injectors will have to flow about 12% more fuel, or I'll have to get a slightly larger capacity set of fuel injectors. The stock 3.5L fuel injectors flow about 246 cc/min, or about 23 lb/hr. To avoid relying on STFT and LTFT, and to avoid relying on tuners that think of V6 tuning as an ignorable afterthought, I would need an injector that flows about 275 cc/min... well, 284 cc/min... Kind of like the fuel injectors I pulled off the 2009 4.7L engine a couple of years ago... The one in my hand has "4591851AA" stamped on it. Looks oddly familiar...

Also looking at different throttle bodies. The 2009 4.7L throttle body is plastic and has an 80 mm bore, which is slightly bigger than the 74 mm throttle opening on the 3.5L intake manifold. That can probably be shaved off with a Dremel tool. However, it has a different wiring pinout than the 3.5L throttle body does. I am going to do some tests to see if it could otherwise be electrically compatible with the 3.5L PCM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Use this site to check the pinouts on the TB.

Mopar Connection Repair Kit

This site has saved my butt so many times.
    05 Magnum AWD SXT Hemi Swap
    instagram.com/hemisxt
    Thanks t_vago thanked for this post
    Likes tf34mech liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RobsSXT View Post
    Use this site to check the pinouts on the TB.

Mopar Connection Repair Kit

This site has saved my butt so many times.
    That site helped me with the wiring pinout for the clutch pedal, too!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12