Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Chrysler 3.5l V6 EGR Delete

Hello all,

After my recent bout with the timing belt/vacuum leaks I am heavily thinking about deleting the EGR.
    I have searched the mighty Google and to no avail have I found a working EGR delete for our 3.5l V6 engines.
    What gives? Am I just missing something?

If there isn't one, I am considering formulating a method.
    I don't have a predator and don't intend to buy one so here is what I am thinking...

1) Leave the EGR in place and remove the EGR tube, block off the tube hole on the valve. And then find a way to block off the air intake plenum hole.
    2) Fabricate a metal cover that bolts over the EGR hole, and fabricate some sort of device that can plug the plenum hole.
    2a) Fabricate an electrical device that plugs into the EGR cable that tricks the system into thinking the EGR is working fine.

What do you guys think/know? The largest problem I think will be finding a way to reliably plug the air intake plenum.

I would prefer to the keep the EGR/tube intact in case I ever have to worry about emissions. As it stands though emissions are not a problem where I am at.

Post Thanks / Like
    What's the pros n cons of doing this

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't really want to get into the pros/cons or what having and not having an EGR does. I think it is a wash either way, I don't care about emissions.

The primary benefit of this is the fact that I never have to deal with the crappy EGR again on the 3.5l - it is a PITB to get seated, it leaks, it is just a poor design.
    It is a glaring deficiency, it is a cancer to the 3.5l, it makes the simple job of taking the upper intake off into a feared proposition, have I mentioned I hate the EGR on the 3.5l?

My wife hates it too... every time I tell her, "Alright baby time to put some gloves on I need your tiny hands to seal my EGR with some more RTV" she cringes. That there is reason enough to delete it.

It is unnecessary. Get rid of it!

I hate the EGR.

Post Thanks / Like
    Billet Technology used to make an EGR delete kit for the HEMI and IIRC, the block off plate "May" have fit our EGRs as well. But, I don't know that they make them anymore. But you'll still have to plug the plenum. I'm still planning on doing this the next time I take my upper plenum off. Just have to figure out exactly how I'm going to plug it up. But, I have a predator and should be able to shut it off that way.

eGo

Who Farted? BEANIE!!!
    !Welcome to the United States of the Offended!
    Mods : Inertia Performance Heads, Inertia v1.1 Cams, MM Ported 71mm Throttle Body, JBA Shorty Headers, Airhammer HO, Predator w/Custom Tune from Stu, RT Brakes, Eibach Pro Kit, RT Exhaust, 20" Vipers

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm pretty sure the EGR delete could be "tuned" out but I don't recall hearing about it before. I'd post a question in the Diablosport section of this forum and see if one of the good folks at Diablosport weighs in on it.
    2006 Charger Brilliant Black R/T w/R&T Package, 6.1 Arrington based 426 Hemi @ 13:1 compression 2016 Hellcat Charger rear cradle and brakes swap, DSS 4" custom driveshaft, 3.09 Scat Pack rear diff.

Post Thanks / Like
    That is fine and all... but I don't want to just shut it off, I want it physically GONE. If you just shut it off there is still the possibility for vacuum leaks.
    Get rid of the cancer. You know why I hate it so much? Look at the HEMI's EGR, it has a way to be secured in. Our crappy EGR is a pressure fit and this is crap.
    CRAP = Can't Really Appreciate the Pipe (I coined this)

I am thinking of some sort of high temperature plastic fixture that you shove into the plenum, and you then pull some sort of plug and it expands the fitting once it is inside the plenum. Much like a drywall anchor. Anyone have a 3D printer??? There is money to be made!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    I understand. I had to change my EGR on my 05 SXT AWD Magnum when I had it and didn't have fun doing it either.

You can remove it and block everything off but if it isn't tuned out, it will throw codes and then that will be a CROC = cant really appreciate codes

Plugging the plenum shouldn't be that difficult. Making the cap for the EGR mounting on the block may be a bigger challenge unless you know someone with a machine shop or waterjet / laser cutter.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ChuckWagon View Post
    I understand. I had to change my EGR on my 05 SXT AWD Magnum when I had it and didn't have fun doing it either.

You can remove it and block everything off but if it isn't tuned out, it will throw codes and then that will be a CROC = cant really appreciate codes

Plugging the plenum shouldn't be that difficult. Making the cap for the EGR mounting on the block may be a bigger challenge unless you know someone with a machine shop or waterjet / laser cutter.
    Well... what I am proposing certainly is not an easy task but again, when there is money to be made.
    I am making no gaurantees but my hatred for the EGR and some potential money will be the driving factor. I am going to try to find a way to make a kit to delete the EGR's on our 3.5l's that does not involve a Diablo tuner.

Like I said, some sort of pigtail and the proper circuitry I believe should trick our cars into thinking the EGR is functioning fine as there is not an EGR sensor that actually checks if the EGR is opening. It is just a connector as far as I know. Perhaps someone like the mighty funky chicken can weigh in.

Post Thanks / Like
    To close up the hole on the EGR valve itself get part number 6034331.

CuT the EGR TUBE head part off. Get a machine shop to put a round cover on the back to plug the tube pipe off. Put a new blue ring on it. Stuff it in the plenum hole. Done.
    Last edited by Richmonddjs; 06-10-2014 at 01:50 PM.
    World's Fastest 2010 V6 Dodge Challenger SE with a ***** **** SC build best time of [email protected] 114.27, 364 Rear, SRT8 front spoiler, Eibach Sportline Springs meth injection, nitrous! 3200 Stall *In 2014 JUST ADDED: Inertia Motorsports 1.2 Cams, Big Valve Heads, Forged Pistons, JBA Shorty Headers, Vortech V3 Supercharger, now at 480RWHP. NEW track time coming soon!
    Likes eGo liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I ran without an active EGR system, passed emissions EVERY TIME!
    It's a fraud for emissions, but there for another reason...

You can make a gasket plate from an aluminum can to block
    the hole.

I removed the vacuum line, plugged it, and put the line back
    on so it passed the visual inspection. I would get a CEL for
    EGR, and it would go out every 50 key on cycles then stay
    off for three days.

SO, before I went for the emissions test, I reset the ECM two days
    prior so the CEL would not cause a fail automatically. All emissions
    levels were WELL below the thresholds. You cannot reset the ECM
    then go, there will be no data for the machine to use.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah? That CEL would drive me nuts. I will find a way to disable it.
    Emissions are really secondary for me, I am in a state that doesn't do emissions checks.

Post Thanks / Like
    The ECM can be programmed to ignore it, and not set the CES
    light, but that's $$$$$$$$.

WE have a person we send out to, when exhaust mods are done that
    would cause the O2 sensors flag; ignore those readings and not
    set a CES light.

We service an '07 Dakota that still has a throttle cable. We sent the ECU
    out, and got it back with drive by wire programming and messed it all up.
    The person did not have a map for cable, and we had to get another ECU
    for the truck, and wasted $300+ on programming; the shop had to eat
    that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Your tuner (like Johan or whoever) can fix the cel light for EGR. DONE!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rhyvun View Post
    Well... what I am proposing certainly is not an easy task but again, when there is money to be made.
    I am making no gaurantees but my hatred for the EGR and some potential money will be the driving factor. I am going to try to find a way to make a kit to delete the EGR's on our 3.5l's that does not involve a Diablo tuner.

Like I said, some sort of pigtail and the proper circuitry I believe should trick our cars into thinking the EGR is functioning fine as there is not an EGR sensor that actually checks if the EGR is opening. It is just a connector as far as I know. Perhaps someone like the mighty funky chicken can weigh in.
    did you ever accomplish making an EGR delete kit. Removing the EGR is not the problem since I have my heads off. Just looking for a delete module to ignore the CEL.

thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Negative.
    Money isn't the issue, time is.
    Judging on the interest of this thread, maybe my estimation of how much money could be made was wildly high.

I still hate the EGR though.
    My standby is caking red RTV around it once its back together. I've never had an EGR related CEL when I do this. Be sure to let it dry over night.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast