Post Thanks / Like

Question Differential Swap

I was wondering what is required to swap my 2.65 differential for a 3.06? I've been doing a lot of research on various forums, I managed to get some info, but I am not mechanically inclined, so I'm kind of confused right now.

My car is a 2010 Charger R/T Road & Track, donor car is a 2006 Chrysler 300 SRT8.

Is it "plug and play" or do I need other parts?
    2010 Charger R/T R&T
    AMG Paddles / Sprint Booster / DiabloSport Predator / Custom Tune / LMI Air Hammer / Flowmaster Headers / JBA High Flow Mids / Flowmaster American Thunder / Eibach Pro-System / Factory Reproductions Wheels / SRT Hood / SRT Rear Diffuser / Spoiler Delete

Post Thanks / Like
    I have done install twice on pre eagle Hemi cars. You will feel the difference but in the end it is still an open Diff but for sure tougher. I know on the earlier cars you need to trim the parking brake tab slightly for the beefier shaft from the SRT. One question is are the 2010 hubs the same as the earlier 5.7, 6.1 cars if so you are ok there. You will also need the rear 4 prong driveshaft and coupler from that car as you likely have a three prong and does that piece mate ok with the 2010 front piece you have. I ran one until I could find a good deal on a Getrag setup which you may want to consider as your traction will be night and day. Danny
    05 Magnum RT Spartan Cam-Inertia Milled Perf Heads-Port Matched Eagle Intake W/Injectors And W/O Spacers-Johan Tuned-SRT Oil Pump/Rods/Tensioner/Springs/Plugs/Rad-PWRBond Dampner-392 Mounts-Jet 180-Blue Shorties-Mopar Covers/CAI-Morosso Catch-Kooks LT's/Catted Mids-Flowmaster Force II-SRT Diffuser-Hurst-BT Pinky-ATI Flex-Edge 3k-Tranzf-No ESP-MTCM-Bl.Tops-Mopar Pan-3.06 Getrag-Mopar Strut-Eibach SportLine-WL Bumpsteer/Sway Bush-SRT Alcoa 20' 245/275 Good-Year Eagle Sport/Brembos-30/22 SP Sway-VIS Hood-SRT Bumper-Spyder HL/Led Tails-300c Door/Billet Moldings-35% Tint-Oem flaps.

Post Thanks / Like
    You need the diff and the back half of the driveshaft, unless you want want to swap the 3 prong pinion from your diff to the old one.
    Thanks Berserker thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Do I need to replace the axles?

Post Thanks / Like
    yes u wil need axles.. if u get a diff from a challenger rt u dont have to change the drive shaft as it is still a 3 bolt not 4 like the srt.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teletran-01 View Post
    Do I need to replace the axles?
    06 300c

diablo trinity 93 cai, aefis carbon fiber cai, no esp mod, speed logic catch can, egr delete, 6.1 hedman shortys, 6.1 mids, custom magnaflow cat back, mptcm, tranzformer shift kit, mopar stage 1 springs, kyb shocks, eibach front upper control arms, 3.06 getrag lsd, michelin latitude hp 255/55R18 out back and good year eagle rsa 245/55r18 on the front, #driver mod.

Post Thanks / Like
    For cost saving vs capability a Getrag swap would be better. Then you don't need the driveshaft half (and has LSD). I initially put in a same year SRT rear, snapped axles. Found a deal on a Getrag and it's been awesome since.

Diablo tuned, catch can, K&N CAI, Mopar catback, cop front & rear sway bars, SRT suspension, Challenger rims, SRT Getrag rear, R/T seats

Post Thanks / Like
    A Getrag would be great indeed but I'm on a pretty tight budget. In fact, I had no plans on swapping the diff but I found one for cheap so I just want to make sure that this cheap mod doesn't get expensive with all the extra parts that I need. I can get the diff, axles and drive shaft for $300.

Post Thanks / Like
    Came across this thread because I'm thinking about doing this swap too, but I thought the 06-10 SRT diffs were a direct bolt in for an 09-up R/T? Didn't they increase the axles in 09 to the same as the SRT of previous years? Is the driveshaft flange really different, because i thought that was only for the getregs, not the regular open diff SRT 3.06s?
    2009 Dodge Charger R/T | Road / Track Performance Group | Deep Water Blue Pearl
    Hemifever 93 Tune | JBA Silver Ceramic Shorties | JBA Hi-Flow Mids | Corsa Xtreme Catback | LMI Hammer | S.O.S. Coil Packs | JET 180 T-Stat | BT OCC | TranZformer | MS1 Springs | Koni STR.T Shocks | WSQ Super Track Pack Wheels | RotorPros Police Package Rotors | Centric Posi-Quiet Pads | Petty's Garage STB | Hurst Comp Stick | OEM Style HID Projectors | MOPAR OEM Rear Diffuser | MOPAR Hood Struts | Shaved Door Moldings| Pro Motor Stripes 3M Graphics

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Teletran-01 View Post
    A Getrag would be great indeed but I'm on a pretty tight budget. In fact, I had no plans on swapping the diff but I found one for cheap so I just want to make sure that this cheap mod doesn't get expensive with all the extra parts that I need. I can get the diff, axles and drive shaft for $300.
    I did the swap you're planning first, trust me it's worth it to save the $$ and get the Getrag if only for the LSD. Kept snapping passenger side axles with that damn open rear. Nothing like getting towed off the track because BOOM and now it doesn't move under it's own power anymore lol...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by HemiLonestar View Post
    I did the swap you're planning first, trust me it's worth it to save the $$ and get the Getrag if only for the LSD. Kept snapping passenger side axles with that damn open rear. Nothing like getting towed off the track because BOOM and now it doesn't move under it's own power anymore lol...

Yeah, I was kinda worried for a min or two. once they towed you to the pits and you figured it out it started being funny.

Now I'm gonna give you a hard time until you actually complete a pass.

Just sayin

HAHA
    08 R/TCharger, Stock bottom end 5.7: LMI TRUE CAI, eagle intake, 6.1 injectors. Modern Muscle Performance Group 87mm Ported TB, big CAM, and ported eagle heads. SLP UD pulley. 6.1 timing set,and lifters, PSI springs custom pushrods, cometic head gaskets, 11:1 comp. American Racing 1 3/4" long tube headers, highflow cats with Magnaflow 3" mufflers, 4" tips., catch can 170 stat. Builder Bill rebuilt tranny, stage 2 VB, 3500 stall TC, AFI flexplate. Getrag 3.73 MTCM. BC Coilovers. Pistol grip shifter. 417 RWHP, Dyno Tuned by Brent @DTP.
    NEW04/15/16: 11.689 @ 117.62 mph .

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Rupert View Post
    Yeah, I was kinda worried for a min or two. once they towed you to the pits and you figured it out it started being funny.

Now I'm gonna give you a hard time until you actually complete a pass.

Just sayin

HAHA
    I completed one, my dumbass just forgot to turn off the traction control and it bogged (insert middle finger here lol)

Post Thanks / Like
    Did you finish the swap? I like the idea of putting a new 3 prong pinion on the SRT differential.
    2010 Charger 5.7 Police
    Cop Brakes, Cop Shocks, Cop farts trapped in seat cushions, Fastman TB, Sharadon Tune, LMI Frankentake IV, Stock T-Stat, UPR Catch Can, Mid-Muff delete.

"Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway."
    -John Wayne

Share This Thread