LX Forums Forum banner

Another Twin Turbo option for the 5.7 & 6.1

22K views 96 replies 27 participants last post by  yambra 
#1 · (Edited)
I was at the Mopar Nationals this weekend in Columbus, Ohio and there was a company there called Team Performance Products advertising their twin turbo system for the 5.7 and 6.1 Dodge Charger.

http://www.team-ppi.com/

Has anybody heard of them or know anything about there system? It looks like a very clean and stealth install. You do not have to cut up your exhaust or anything else to install the system (HUGE plus in my book). Not sure if this has been discussed before or not......

Discussion on chargerforums: http://www.chargerforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=85127

#2 ·
I stopped by there booth as well and talked a bit with them, and the kit itself looks great. AEM is doing the tuning (piggy back...hmmm?) and having "issues" with tuning, but they think that there close.

I told them they need to get on the forums and look up Steve at RDP, Bob at SVS, Tim at CIS, ETC. if they don't want to re-invent the wheel.

#4 ·
I stopped by there booth as well and talked a bit with them, and the kit itself looks great. AEM is doing the tuning (piggy back...hmmm?) and having "issues" with tuning, but they think that there close.

I told them they need to get on the forums and look up Steve at RDP, Bob at SVS, Tim at CIS, ETC. if they don't want to re-invent the wheel.
Glad to hear I am not the only person that stopped by and talked to them. :wink:

Hmmm......that would explain why they did not run the car at all.

If Steve from RDP could get ahold of this system and do the tuning I bet this could really be a solid option.

#5 ·
PICTURES OF THE SETUP!!!!!!!!!!!

aside from that.. some one needs to educate them seriously majorly on what a diablo is.... talk aobut behind the times

#11 ·
PICTURES OF THE SETUP!!!!!!!!!!!

aside from that.. some one needs to educate them seriously majorly on what a diablo is.... talk aobut behind the times
They had this setup installed on their Charger in the booth......

#6 ·
Nats Turbo

I talked to those guys also.

There is some talk that they may adapt their 6.1L Hemi setup to our 3.5Ls.

Would love to have a 435Hp Twin Turbo 3.5L Charger.:drool::drool::drool::drool:

#8 ·
Well heck this company is in Oxnard... I work and live in Oxnard....

I just might have to stop by and check them out...

:)
Let us know if you find out any additional details. :thumbs_u:

They said they were at the Spring Fling this year......

#12 ·
Any estimate of a price for theis turbo kit???

#16 · (Edited)
x2

after examining hte pic...

it looks like theyre mounted around where your catalytic converters are now.... the new exhaust pipes that come with the system appear to have new cats.... thus they probably get relocated, as well as an H pipe(why not an X.... lazy? not practical?) which is probably moved further toward the rear of your exhaust system....

and hopefully that h pipe they provide mates up perfect with all other catbacks that .... typical come with their own new xpipe....

#17 ·
This is what the brochure says that I picked up at the Mopar Nats......

Product Description

600 Horsepower / 650 Ft Lbs. Of Torque At The Rear Wheels @ 8 Psi Boost (690 Hp/747 Ft Lbs Torque At The Crank) With Stock 6.1 Liter Engine

900 Horsepower Potential With Fuel & Engine Componet Upgrades

Utilizes "garret Gt 2871r" Dual Ball Bearing Turbo's With Integral Wastegates

High Flow Front Mount Air To Air Aluminum Intercooler

Low Mount "stelth Design"

All Stainless Steel, Aluminum And Carbon Fiber Construction

Designed For Ease Of Installation Without The Need For Special Automotive Knowledge Or Tools.

No Cutting Or Welding Required

No Engine Compartment, Accessory Or Vehicle Alterations

Tuner Kits Available

#28 ·
This definitely sounds like it has potential, but I wouldn't want to be the guy paying $10K to test it out on my car!

Also, what are they doing to beef up the tranny to hold up to that power?!? I thought 600hp was the very limit in HP our tranny could take.

#38 ·
I am currently working on rouding up parts for a home made rear mount turbo setup.
T3/T4 turbo ($400) + external WGA ($200) + oil pump ($150) + tubing ($500) + MAF ($50) + tuning ($400) + injectors ($250) = cheap ass turbo kit. :)

#41 ·
What makes this turbo kit different from the CIS kit. If I was on the market I would go with CIS because he has been with us from day 1. Even tho he has had issues, he has let us know each one of them along the way.

I would try to get a turbo here, in Northern, VA DC area, but if I wanna go turbo I personally would need to buy some forged parts first like crack and all that stuff.

All you guys know that we should look at what the HP is, because we all know that our 5.7 can handle as much as we like it would.

#42 ·
What makes this turbo kit different from the CIS kit. If I was on the market I would go with CIS because he has been with us from day 1. Even tho he has had issues, he has let us know each one of them along the way.

I would try to get a turbo here, in Northern, VA DC area, but if I wanna go turbo I personally would need to buy some forged parts first like crack and all that stuff.

All you guys know that we should look at what the HP is, because we all know that our 5.7 can handle as much as we like it would.
Finally a smart man when it comes to forged parts before big boost:not_worth

And Alberta, Ill support CIS and continue to recommend the kit to everyone. Tim is a great guy, he has spent MANY hours designing/fabricating/testing his kit, and he knows his turbo stuff. I beat on my car daily just to see how well this kit would hold up and its been nothing but great. Sure its a mid-mount kit, but the turbo that was chosen to complement the overall kit results in very minimal lag and amazing boost response. I really dont think that any rear/mid-mount kit will compare to the CIS kit. Plus my setup still sounds like a Hemi should instead of a Hemi disguised by some annoying whistling exhaust noise...

#46 · (Edited)
Track Times

I posted up track times 10/28/2007 in the CIS section.

Here is the link to the post.

http://www.lxforums.com/board/showthread.php?t=87013

The last dyno run posted 411 RWHP and 500 RWTQ at 6.5 psi boost.

I am so busy in the shop I rarely ever get time to even think about going to a track, seven days a week doesn't leave much time to get out! (Wife agrees with that one!).

Lots of info over in my section.

Tim - CIS

#48 ·
Tim, thanksfor the link.
I really is ashame we can't squeeze it undeer the hood...
Any 6.1 #'s& times?

#49 ·
Hi,

If there was anyway I could have gotten it under the hood, I would have, it would just be too involved and too expensive for most peoples budget. The biggest hurdle is trying to get the exhaust forward and then back again, and the only way I see to do that is under the crossmember which would give about 3" clearance under the car, not what I wanted to do.

I will have to check on 6.1 times, not sure if the car in Florida has any or not, but I will check.

Thanks,

Tim - CIS

#50 ·
i have been watching the threads about turbo kits for our cars since day 1...I like the kits a lot but,,I have decided to go with a S/C...the numbers and times are more impresive to me..But don't get me wrong I love turbos..

As far as SRT-4's,,,I have been down that road before with owning one..( well the motor in a 1st gen at least)...I must say a lot of people that own these cars don't know how to drive them or mod them...I will say that before I got rid of it..I was putting down 300hp/310tq on the stock turbo..(tunning my friend)

i have ran charger r/ts, srt 8's, etc...and they had no chance...I even ran a S/C RT from a dig. ended up beating it by 3 car lengths after I had to catch him from me spinning all of 1st and 2nd gear.

IMO:mrgreen:

#51 ·
i have been watching the threads about turbo kits for our cars since day 1...I like the kits a lot but,,I have decided to go with a S/C...the numbers and times are more impresive to me..But don't get me wrong I love turbos..

As far as SRT-4's,,,I have been down that road before with owning one..( well the motor in a 1st gen at least)...I must say a lot of people that own these cars don't know how to drive them or mod them...I will say that before I got rid of it..I was putting down 300hp/310tq on the stock turbo..(tunning my friend)

i have ran charger r/ts, srt 8's, etc...and they had no chance...I even ran a S/C RT from a dig. ended up beating it by 3 car lengths after I had to catch him from me spinning all of 1st and 2nd gear.

IMO:mrgreen:
You wont get better numbers with a supercharger. Times can be debatable as well. The s/c just kicks @$$ from the start (a great plus in my book), so unless you have a good suspension/slicks/driver mod, the power is useless. Now a turbo will have some lag and will allow you to hook more easily and bring on the power, but isnt that what we need with our "ok" suspensions?

#52 · (Edited)
Looks like a pretty well thought out kit but the pic looks like its for a Mustang not our cars. Anyone know how much of a "bolt on" it really is? I love the thought of a twin turbo kit tucked in looking/sounding real stock like but carrying the big guns at the track. As they say.....what wins on Sunday sells on Monday. Before/after comparisons at the track have become a major metric for those considering dropping that amount of coin on a bolt on item. I would hope those turbo/supercharger cars come out and start whipping some ass this fall.

Hemi~C~ laying down the gauntlet: Personally, it feels a little awkward holding record times/mph for 5.7 both NA and Power adder........waiting for you boost junkies to get out there and stake claim for what should be yours. Before/After results sure would sell me.

Chris

#54 ·
I dont know how i would feel if i spent lets say $6000-8000 for twin turbos and was only as fast as a stock srt8. I ran a (bone stockw/afe2) 13.09 with a 2.09 60 foot and was spinning for 30-40 feet(goodyears). It was my first time at the track and i just wanted to see how it felt and get some base line numbers for the car. I have been waiting for a good super charger to put on my srt8. Im liking the sms (saleen)based on the looks and there rep.

#55 ·
Why not buy a CIS kit without the turbo unit and then toss on a pretty decent sized one? Im doing it right now with an 80mm T6 one and couldnt be happier with my CIS foundation for the setup. It will be much much cheaper than that Saleen stuff and ill bet that youd make more power:wink:

#58 ·
I didnt catch whether the do it yourself kit was a single or twin setup but a T3/T4 wont work on this sized motor. You'll most likely surge whatever size turbo you go with. Its just not enough air to fill the gills. For those unfamiliar with a hybrid turbo the turbine wheel aka the hot side is a T3 with is made for an import car. The T4 compressor side or cold side is sized for a larger displacement engine. A P trim or Q trim Turbine wheel with a small A/R ratio and a T series Compressor wheel would be a better fit. Something like a 61mm or even upto a T-66. That way you wouldnt need to run more boost. On a turbo application the higher the boost pressure the hotter the air gets. With your T3/T4 setup you likely could run 15 or 20psi due to the lack of CFM from the compressor. It probably put out less than 500CFM where a Vortech puts out closer to 1000CFM. Hence the ability to run twice the boost. I dont claim to be a know-it-all but turbochargers are something I know very well.

#59 ·
I didnt catch whether the do it yourself kit was a single or twin setup but a T3/T4 wont work on this sized motor. You'll most likely surge whatever size turbo you go with. Its just not enough air to fill the gills. For those unfamiliar with a hybrid turbo the turbine wheel aka the hot side is a T3 with is made for an import car. The T4 compressor side or cold side is sized for a larger displacement engine. A P trim or Q trim Turbine wheel with a small A/R ratio and a T series Compressor wheel would be a better fit. Something like a 61mm or even upto a T-66. That way you wouldnt need to run more boost.
Uhhh, sounds like you described the base turbo on a stock 5.7 or bone stock 6.1 kit, it is plenty big enough for the engine and provide the boost range a stock engine can handle.

Modified engines and strokers have to move up to a T4/T4, just like the 392 in here right now that is getting a ball bearing Turbonetics T-76. The base turbos are good for base engines, beyond that, you have to upgrade.

Tim - CIS

#75 ·
That looks like a TO4E 60 Trim and probably a Stage 3 Turbine wheel.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.