LX Forums Forum banner

Pulled over for fog lights

Ask A Cop 
56K views 25 replies 16 participants last post by  charginscott 
#1 ·
So I was pulled over this evening for my fog lights. I have had these fog lights for at least 9 months and have never been stopped. The officer said I can't have "blue" lights on my car. Am I in the wrong or should I go ahead and swap to different bulbs?

This is a pic of them when first installed last year. Sorry it's not the best pic.

See less See more
#5 ·
Laws on lighting equipment can be very specific, not only does it have to meet the federal standards, the states can get in the act too.

As was stated earlier, in most states, the only allowable colour for lights facing forward are white and amber. Ancillary or custom lighting, of any colour, can be installed, it just can not be illuminated while the vehicle is on a public street. Law enforcement is particularly critical of red or blue lights... for obvious reasons.

I have seen some fog light bulbs that are advertised as being yellow... and the light is, when it strikes the road or an object, however the visual light at the source appears blue.

#6 ·
Who stopped you?

The Texas law prohibits any color lamp other than white or amber to the front. Yours don't look blue to me, but I didn't see them at the time of the stop.

547.305 talks about the color. It mentions blue when referring to a beacon. I say a beacon is a rotating light. Yours isn't a beacon.

Sec. 547.305. RESTRICTIONS ON USE OF LIGHTS. (a) A motor vehicle lamp or illuminating device, other than a headlamp, spotlamp, auxiliary lamp, turn signal lamp, or emergency vehicle, tow truck, or school bus warning lamp, that projects a beam with an intensity brighter than 300 candlepower shall be directed so that no part of the high-intensity portion of the beam strikes the roadway at a distance of more than 75 feet from the vehicle.
(b) Except as expressly authorized by law, a person may not operate or move equipment or a vehicle, other than a police vehicle, with a lamp or device that displays a red light visible from directly in front of the center of the equipment or vehicle.
(c) A person may not operate a motor vehicle equipped with a red, white, or blue beacon, flashing, or alternating light...

547.3215 is probably the most important and overlooked code in the Texas Transportation Code. It basically says if the light is "DOT" approved, or "Complies with 49CFR - 571.108" then it is legal.

Sec. 547.3215. USE OF FEDERAL STANDARD. Unless specifically prohibited by this chapter, lighting, reflective devices, and associated equipment on a vehicle or motor vehicle must comply with:
(1) the current federal standards in 49 C.F.R. Section 571.108; or
(2) the federal standards in that section in effect, if any, at the time the vehicle or motor vehicle was manufactured.

Any unapproved light, or modification of a stock lamp that renders it non-compliant, is a violation. Examples include lights with VHT coating applied, or HID headlamps on vehicles not equipped from the factory with them.

Our (DPS) standard is based upon what color the light is that strikes the roadway. In regards to headlamps or driving lamps, if the light is any color other than white, it is illegal.

Good luck!

#8 · (Edited)
547.3215 is probably the most important and overlooked code in the Texas Transportation Code. It basically says if the light is "DOT" approved, or "Complies with 49CFR - 571.108" then it is legal.

Sec. 547.3215. USE OF FEDERAL STANDARD. Unless specifically prohibited by this chapter, lighting, reflective devices, and associated equipment on a vehicle or motor vehicle must comply with:
(1) the current federal standards in 49 C.F.R. Section 571.108; or
(2) the federal standards in that section in effect, if any, at the time the vehicle or motor vehicle was manufactured.

Any unapproved light, or modification of a stock lamp that renders it non-compliant, is a violation. Examples include lights with VHT coating applied, or HID headlamps on vehicles not equipped from the factory with them.

Our (DPS) standard is based upon what color the light is that strikes the roadway. In regards to headlamps or driving lamps, if the light is any color other than white, it is illegal.

Good luck!
I know the following post says helmets, but it's all the same. The DOT does NOT approve parts.

DOT or NOT Approved?

Below are 16 quotes linked to their corresponding NHTSA letters taken from NHTSA's webside (Acrobat PDFs). As you can see, the NHTSA/DOT does NOT approve equipment. As such, "DOT Approved" helmets do not exist. So how can folks like those in Louisiana comply with their law? They can't! Still doubtful? Call NHTSA 202-366-9511. "It [DOT sticker] does not represent any "approval" by DOT. We [NHTSA] have no authority to 'approve' or 'disapprove' vehicles or equipment." 8/15/02, Jacqueline Glassman, Chief Counsel NHTSA.
"Motorcycle helmets are subject to FMVSS No. 218 (49 CFR §571.218), which specifies performance requirements for helmets to ensure that helmets reduce the likelihood of head injuries in crashes. The DOT symbol on the helmet is a certification by the helmet manufacturer, not the DOT, that the helmet conforms to FMVSS No. 218. The standard does not specify performance requirements for motorcycle helmet visors. There currently is no FMVSS that applies to the visor." 2/11/02, John Womack, Acting Chief Counsel NHTSA.
"You also mentioned that 'all the assembly parts . . . are already D.O.T. approved parts.' We do not know what you mean by this statement. The Department of Transportation neither approves nor disapproves parts. ...Trintex may not represent that the Cord is 'D.O.T. approved;' you must not use this expression in any manner in connection with this product." 3/21/01, John Womack, Acting Chief Counsel NHTSA.
"This term [DOT approved] has no basis in either fact or law. We have no authority to approve or disapprove items of motor vehicle equipment." 6/26/00, Frank Seales, Chief Counsel NHTSA.
"...as a matter of law, there is no such thing as 'D.O.T. approved parts.' We [NHTSA] have no authority to approve or disapprove motor vehicles or equipment items." 6/5/00, Frank Seales, Chief Counsel NHTSA.

"You use the term 'dot approved,' but we have no authority to 'approve' or 'disapprove' vehicle lighting equipment, and such language is improper." 6/20/00, Frank Seales, Chief Counsel NHTSA.
"NHTSA neither approves, disapproves, endorses, tests, nor grants clearances for products prior to their introduction into the retail market." 3/23/99, Frank Seales, Chief Counsel NHTSA.
"NHTSA does not approve, disapprove, endorse, test, or grant clearances for products prior to their introduction into the retail market." 3/23/99, Frank Seales, Chief Counsel NHTSA.
"DOT has no authority to approve or disapprove any equipment item..." 9/22/98, Frank Seales, Chief Counsel NHTSA.
"The Department has no authority to 'approve' or 'disapprove' items of equipment, nor are there any 'D.O.T. licensing requirements,'" 5/13/98, John Womack, Acting Chief Counsel NHTSA.
"D.O.T. itself has no authority to 'approve' or 'not approve' any item of equipment and the phrase 'D.O.T. approved' has no meaning and should not be used." 4/8/98, John Womack, Acting Chief Counsel NHTSA.
"...applicable laws do not provide authority for 'DOT approval' of vehicles or equipment items." 6/16/97, John Womack, Acting Chief Counsel NHTSA.
"The phrase 'DOT/SAE approved' should never be used. DOT does not have the authority to 'approve' or 'disapprove' motor vehicle equipment... In cases where 'DOT/SAE approved' appears on auxiliary lamps and their packages, the marking is meaningless." 1/8/97 John Womack, Acting Chief Counsel NHTSA.
"You have used the term 'DOT-approved' equipment which reflects a common misconception that the agency approves equipment. The agency has no authority to approve or disapprove any vehicle or equipment item." 5/9/96, Samuel Dubbin, Chief Counsel NHTSA.
"...your use of the words "DOT approved" reflects a common misconception. We have no authority to approve or disapprove lighting equipment." 12/22/95, Samuel Dubbin, Chief Counsel NHTSA.
"...neither NHTSA nor the Department of Transportation (DOT) approves, endorses, certifies, or gives assurances of compliance of any product." 5/18/94, John Womack, Acting Chief Counsel NHTSA.

#7 ·
It doesn't look any more blue than some headlights I've seen. Some leds that are super white have a blueish tint/hue to them at some angles and may be seen as being blue. In your pic it looks like it has blue in it or reflecting as blue. Might want to try a different bulb. Just because one hasn't been stopped before doesn't mean all LEO's are okay with it. Good luck.

#9 ·
Sorry about the mishap, but I just have to ask, where did you get that Mopar Nose front badge from? It looks great!!

#20 ·
They are LEDs and got them on fleabay. My headlights are factory hid's but the fogs were regular halogen bulbs before I put the LEDs in. I was trying to match my fogs to the headlights but the eBay seller was off on their color chart or sent the wrong bulbs.

#23 ·
I can't see the pics as I am at work, but I would think that anything over 8000K is starting to verge on blue-ish...the halos I had on the Charger were 6000K and were as white as white could be. I know I wouldn't have put 10000K on, as then I knew I would be risking the chance.

#24 ·
My earlier answer is strictly "legal". In reality, if the photograph is an accurate representation of the extent of the "blue", I don't think I'd waste the time, yours or mine, issuing the cite... maybe a verbal advisal, but not a ticket. There are so many other, more serious traffic and/or equipment issues to deal with.

It all comes down to that "officer's discretion" thing and the "receptiveness" of the individual I'm advising. It's amazing, the number of people who talk themselves INTO a cite... or worse.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.