LX Forums Forum banner

Talke me out of buying this car...gt500

14K views 75 replies 53 participants last post by  HULK 
#1 · (Edited)
Mustang gt500 Blue loaded 190 miles, 42,000 with my trade, and because of market value that includes some extra for an undertuned loan since my trade in value dropped 5k in the last 3 months. I've been watching KBB.

It's a good deal, but not a great deal. I'm concerned about really getting turned over in my MSRT8 since Chrysler is probably going to go under and the cars seems to be losing value so quickly. I love GT500's, as I love all go fast cars, and although no car is EVER an investment, I see the GT500 as one more worth paying off because it should hold its value. In fact the Retail and trade in on gt500's is sky high. Will it stay that way forever no, but I don't have to pay 10k over sticker to get on either.....

But I think I'd miss my Magggy..... I've always loved the Cobras

UPDATE *******************************************************************

Jan 24th 2009

Wow! I never thought I would create so much anger! I wasn't expecting the attitude - it reminds me of the old LS1.com site. But I understand ,
:beerchug:

Anyway.....

About me, I am never satisfied with anything. I am always looking for ways to challenge myself, and always thinking about my next toy or the next "better" thing I need to have. I LOVE cars period. I love all fast, pretty cars. I don't care what anyone says about the reasons behind buying a car, no one likes to see its value flushed down the toilet, nor the possibility of the manufacturer going out of business. I paid $26000 for it last year, and they are already selling now for right at 20k. That hurts, and it hurts a lot.

The GT500 is an american icon. There is just something about that car.

There is nothing wrong with my Magnum. I bought it because it a car you don't see much. Its a sleeper but also turns a few heads now and again espcially when you rip into it! I don't know what it is. I don't know why it is. I just know I like that new car feeling and of course it doesn't last that long. You'd think we'd all grow out of it, but I'm divorced, don't have any kids, make a decent amount of money, and blow a lot of it because I am bored HAHA. Enough of my personal problems.

But serioulsy now... I haven't even had the Magnum for a year. I've been impressed with how solid of a car it is, and how quiet it drives. Its smooth, and handle very well. My 1999 Trans Am was a bucket of bolt compared to it, even if it was as fast. Its got so many features I don't even use them all on a regular basis.

The magnum was in impulse buy. I was driving a Neon SRT-4 with about 80000 trouble free miles but it was getting a little fishy. The clutch was getting soft, and there were a few funny noises. I wanted something more comfortable, faster, and more manly to take to job sites. Since I'm an architect, I have to look the part!

It is in fact quite road worthy in the snow, and easily the best RWD car I've ever had in the winter, and I drove the previously mentioned Trans Am all year, as well as a 1999 C5. I haven yet to get stuck, and I only have a good set of all seasons. Ive heard the traction control get sort of ripped on for being cheap and a simple brake add on, but I tell you it works, even if it does eat brake pads! Benz was on to something there. The traction contol system is 10x better than what I had in the Corvette, doesn't mess with the gas pedal, and doesn't make a horrible noise when it engages and shakes the car.

How fast does it really need to be? I don't know. I mean, the MSRT8 can run a low 13 stock - sometimes I forget how fast that is. It really is as fast as the Trans Am and the Corvette I had. I have no idea what gets in our heads that makes us want more! But then it somehow festers in our speed addicted brains. So what is a guy to do. Get something faster like a GT500 that can get to 600RWHP with simple bolt ons, or do a heads and cam package and maybe some gears, and have one bad MF'n Wagon? Mustangs have a freaking playground of aftermarket goodies. We have a very limited selection. Ironically I'm afraid to go down the mod road again, like I did with the Corvette. If I knew some people locally in Iowa that could help me work on the car HAHA I'd probably be in a different boat. I put a clutch in the Corvette with a little help, but I'm not experienced enough to do cams, and heads etc, or mess with tuning. But I will be honest and say I'm impressed at the number I've seen from RT's and SRT's with cams and exhuast.

At any rate, I think the Magnum is going to stay. I drove it a bunch today. Its not worth have a bigger car payment, and something that won't go 30 feet in the snow, for .5 seconds 0-60 and in the quarter. It might not have the flash of the GT500, and I like flash, but it does certainly have its own charm. I just hope the ass quits dropping out of the market on Chysler, it just bugs me.

So I think I go this direction:

1) Get some new wheels in the spring.
2) Get a diablo and a CAI
3) Get a new rear with steeper gears, or do a gear swap depending on what become available. Just in driving the car, I think gears would make a HUGE HUGE improvement on these cars. The thing is geared and set up to shift like a luxury car, which has its purpose but I could use a little more SOTP fun.

I hope by this point I will feel like I'm driving a new car enough to forget about the GT500 or the new Camaro assuming it looks better in person than what I have seen in pictures so far :)tinfoilhat:)

4) Look into doing a CAM swap over the summer or maybe the following year with a new mid pipe and cat back.
5) Get it dyno tuned.

So relax guys, I'm not bashing LX's. In fact from a guy who drove LSX's for about 6 years I've been rather impressed. I think I've got my head screwed on tight again, and should be happy now at least until the C6 Zo6 gets under 40k.... gulp.

See less See more
#3 ·
it's $42,000 and your msrt8? that should be reason enough. i don't think any mustang is worth that.

#55 ·
No way that is nuts, only a z06 corvette would be worth it but not for a 3,900lb mustang, hell no.

#9 ·
I'd wait on a 2010 Camaro.

#10 ·
i wish i would have bought one instead of my srt8 charger i have never seen a car like ours drop so fast in value my friend bought a gt500 for 47000 a year ago and it still worth 42000. i paid 44000 for my srt8 a year ago it worth 25000 to 28000 thank u dodge this will be the last dodge i ever buy
gt500 loose 5000 winner
srt8 loose 19000 big f ing looser witch one would u riether have
and the gt500 is faster but no 4 door thats the only reason i keep this piece of crap

#13 ·
i get a g8 before a charger are a 300
and i would get a camaro our a mustang before a challenger
i wanted to trade in my srt8 charger on a challenger they offered me 22000 thats half plp on a car that is a year old that is total bs
dont get me wrong i love my car just wish i would have waited

#15 ·
Just out of curioisty, who hear that truly loves Chargers/300"s/maggies got the car because "that's" the car they wanted.I know i did, i didn't and don't give a damn what my car can re-sale for or what it will trade in as, i got my charger because i loved them and said if i got another car after my intrepid it would be a charger and i got it. The GT500 is a low production car as well, "hand built?" its a nice car, but i still want a Challenger. Sure the GT500 has more HP, but the Chally has more style. My point is, if you buy a car caring about re-sale value or trade in value then by a Honda or some other BS car that real "drivers" would never buy. Buy what you want why you want it and don't complain bout it later. Its like paying $6K for your girlfriend to get a great boob job, then meeting a girl that has better boobs that are natural, are you gonna complain cuz you paid $6k for boobs for an Ex that aren't as good as the one in your hand? I think not. :friday:

Reactions: viper3ez
#18 ·
X2 I love my car and would never sell it anyway..Dont really care for resale value because if i wanted another car i would still KEEP my charger

#24 ·
A picture is worth a thousand words. So here is a Novella

On Laguna Seca:

Caption: HONK! HONK!

On Thunder Hill:

First Lap. Note vehicle separation. The one right behind me is Shelby-built (aluminum block, more boost) and the one in the distance is factory.

NEXT LAP: Note the vehicle positions (and the goat thats about to eat the factory horsie)

I can also post video showing me chase down another Cobra who tries to stay ahead of me until he pushes himself to the point where he loses traction on a reverse-bank curve and almost fishtails off the track before he recovers, gives in and backs off. And video of a white one at Laguna Seca who I absolutely *blow* by like he's standing still on the straightaway. Later him to me: "Oh so you have traction control. No wonder I couldn't catch you" (I have no traction control or ESP).

If you like the car and can get a deal, great. Buy it if its cool to you. I like them too and if I had a 20-car garage a Cobra would be in it. But don't make the mistake of thinking a Cobra is a supercar.

Or that it can beat a station wagon.

#72 ·
I know this is an old post, and maybe I am misreading it LOL But those Shelby's in the pics are Shelby GTs, not GT500s.

Not trying to say you couldn't beat GT500s, just wanted to be sure on that those are just GTs with a different tune and CAI lol They look to have a supercharger on them (done aftermarket) but not the same ballpark as a GT500 :) Green one has a S/C too..but far too many Mustang guys will go for power and not change the stock suspension, so no matter the power they have, they will never use it right LOL

And also, if that Top Gear video (in your last post) is the same one as I am thinking of, they are acutally using a preproduction GT500 in the tests....brakes and suspension were off a standard GT, not what is packaged with the car.

Not trying to stick up for mustangs (trying to sell mine to get into a Magnum at some point LMAO!) just wanted to clarify a few things haha

#25 ·
I got mine because I wanted it. not becuase I was thinking that I could make money on it in 2 years YEAH RIGHT!!! Well and I only paid 29,000 for it brand new in 2006 with all the SRT options haha its nice being a salesman!! But yeah you dont buy a car like these and hope they go up in value. You need to look at cars like the Grand National I own one of them also, they ARE going up in value. Dealers dont want to give you much for a SRT because of how gas is, how money is right now.

#26 ·
I don't know what's funnier, the clowns who buy cars they can't afford and then whine when they want to buy something ELSE they can't afford 1-2 years later and find themselves upside down OR the clowns who try to figure how much over list to pay for a Challenger and a couple months later see rebates discounts, etc. Probably the first, because nobaody in their right mind sells a 1-3 year old car.

#29 ·
don't get me wrong i love my srt8 charger even thow the motor is already blow form the super charger dodges motor are just not built as good as fords, nut for doesnt make a 4 door that will blow away most cars on the road, but still pissed at dodge wanting to give me half for a car that is a year old that is total bs,

#30 ·
You just gotta drive what you love, if you want the GT500 more, get it, if not, enjoy what you have. My father-in-law has an '03 Cobra convertible and a '96 Cobra, and I enjoy cruising and driving them both. But I chose the Magnum because of its mixture of power, style, handling, and 4 doors. I have a wife and kids, so it was a bit easier I guess. I will say that if I could afford one, I would probably go for an '03-'04 Cobra, as they run high 12's stock, and are fairly easy to find with low miles. The Cobra's are a bit easier to mod, too. Of course, this is just the ramblings of a car guy at 1 AM, so....

#31 ·
wow

great driving, Matt!

To the OP: GT500 at the auction the other day for 27,500! So don't get ripped off by that dealer.

I'm a fan of cars, period. The GT500 is crazy fast with a few mods, but only in a straight line. Buy what you can afford to enjoy, and if you get a bargain you may enjoy it even more!

I don't really understand the comparison, as a two door sports car compared to a 4 door sedan/wagon always leaves me wondering...

#32 ·
Good analogy gr8crash, Meathead I think you may have already made up your mind. In these times of economic woes, I wish I were in a position to mull over tossing around 42 grand+. Maybe you should buy it and store it, then you would get your resale, or auction it. I bought my maggy because it's a mopar, great looking , PRACTICAL, goes well. Besides, you will have to start over with all the little nuances, only with a different manufacturer

#34 ·
My brother just put on a mamath supercharger on his 07 gt500 and says it's puttign down over 800 rwhp! Lucky bastard!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.