Thread: 5W20 vs. 5W30

Post Thanks / Like

5W20 vs. 5W30

I'm hoping that someone can EXPLAIN the potential impact of using 5w30 rather than the manual-recommended 5w20? In theory, I know that the second number of a multigrade oil refers to how well the oil will flow at higher temperatures but I'm looking for an easier to understand explaination of the difference between these two oil grades and the potential impact? I had my dealer change the oil on Friday and they used 5w30. Should I be raising a stink to the dealer about this?
    There are three ways to do things: the right way, the wrong way, and the Max Power way! **
    ** Disclaimer : The Max Power way is the wrong way only faster.

Post Thanks / Like
    The owners manual specifies 5w-20 ONLY. Several people have stated that the MDS system does not function [properly] with incorrect grade oil.

Post Thanks / Like
    Needless to say, that if you performed your own oil change and used the wrong oil ( 10W30, 5W20 - whatever), which then caused some llubrication/MDS-related problem, DC would quickly (and rightly) deny any warranty claim.

Your dealer will be doing a second oil change!

Post Thanks / Like
    My dealer inadvertantly used 15W40 (!!!) at my first oil change, and I did notice that the MDS hardly every kicked in. That also explained my huge decrease in fuel mileage. I had them change to the proper 5W20, and all's normal now.
    billapex
    '05 Magnum RT (Inferno Red)
    Magnaflows, resonators removed, K&N, modified airbox
    14.68 @ 95.56mph
    '89 Mustang coupe opentrack race car, 475hp, 2,800lb., 335s all around

Post Thanks / Like

oil

Jeff, you will lose at least one mpg probably a little more. First oil change I used 10-30 Mobil 1 next change 0-20 Mobil 1, picked up 1 to 2 mpg. Phil

Post Thanks / Like

What manufacturers make synthetic oil for the Hemi???????

Hey, Just want to know what manufacturers out there make the correct synthetic oil for the Hemi? I am picking up my Magnum RT next week. Bought a used Magnum RT in black with 10k miles. I am sure it will need an oil change soon enough. I guess the correct oil would be a 5w-20. I cant say I have ever seen it in a store. Only seen the Mobil 1 0w-20 mentioned above. What else is out there?

Post Thanks / Like
    I'll be making 70-80 mile trip this weekend and I'll see what kind of gas mileage I get since I won't have the oil changed before then.

ckofod - I'm not sure about "physical" stores but a search on Google of "5w20" turns up online stores to buy oil.

Phil - What's up? I haven't forgotten about you. I'll be stopping by one of these days.

Post Thanks / Like
    This has been discussed in a number of other threads... however I can tell you I use Syntec 5w20 and Mobil1 0w-20 with no discernable difference in performance between the two.

Performance: AirHammer, Hi-flo cats, Bassani exhaust, Predator tuned, Mopar perf springs, Hotchkis sways, BT catch can, EGR delete
    Interior/Looks: Custom embroidered Katskins, custom embroidered console & cargo covers, tinted tails (Charg-um), Upper and Lower grills (NC-SXT), 'Cuda stripes, 20" Torque Thrust-M's, MoPower Shaker, MoPower Chin spoiler, PAINT!
    Tunes: Pioneer F90BT, JVC Arsenal KS-AR8004D + Kenwood KAC-7204, Infinity Reference setup including 2 10" subs in custom embroidered RobbyHo enclosures

Post Thanks / Like
    Wrong oil and the PCM will disable MDS. I actually calculates viscosity based on a number of inputs and determines if it should disable MDS. I can post a pic FROM the service manual if anyone needs it.
    2005 Dodge Magnum R/T

"If a man is called to be a streetsweeper, he should sweep streets as Michelangelo painted or Shakespeare wrote poetry. He should sweep streets so well that all the hosts of heaven and earth will pause to say, here lived a great streetsweeper who did his job well."
    -Martin Luther King, Jr.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 5W20 vs. 5W30

Quote Originally Posted by MaxPowerRT
    I'm hoping that someone can EXPLAIN the potential impact of using 5w30 rather than the manual-recommended 5w20? In theory, I know that the second number of a multigrade oil refers to how well the oil will flow at higher temperatures but I'm looking for an easier to understand explaination of the difference between these two oil grades and the potential impact? I had my dealer change the oil on Friday and they used 5w30. Should I be raising a stink to the dealer about this?
    I would be very concerned, it happened to me and I might not have paid any attention but someone on the 300C forum broght it up and mentioned the possible damage to the MDS.
    I took it back after 200 Kms had been driven and the service manager grabbed my keys when I should him my invoice, and stated not only would the oil be changed but he would put a notation on my VIN file in case any problems occur and it would be covered under warranty. I wonder how many with the hemis have been given the wrong oil? CHECK your paperwork after you have a service and see what they put down on the sheet.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just wanted to UPDATE on the long trip I took with 5w30 in the car. No difference in gas mileage. The MDS seemed to have kicked in. I got about 21-22 mpg for the overall 160 mile trip.

Post Thanks / Like
    As I stated above, even with the 15W40 that the dealer put in at my first oil change, the MDS did STILL engage, but only occasionally. So, the computer won't disable MDS completely when the wrong weight oil is used.
    (FYI--they used this oil FROM their "bulk drum," according to the service advisor. If it says that on your invoice, everyone, inquire what that weight is! It's most likely not 5W20.)

Share This Thread