Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Malfunction Indicator light came on after burnout.

I was leaving my nephew's place today, when his wife said, "We want to see you spin the tires!" I switched off the ESP and hit the gas. Nothing. THe sreet was even a bit wet. I then held the brake down and nailed it. I only did it for a few seconds. Man, I had never heard the tires squeal so loud before. I only have 750 miles on it. As I was driving off, I observed the malfunction indicator light up. It's located in the lower left of the gas gauge pod. I had to look it up in the manual when I got home. Are you other RT owners HAVING a problem keeping the speed down on the road? Has anyone else had this light come on before?

Post Thanks / Like

Please comment

I don't care if it's happened to you or not. 26 reads and no replies is rediculous.

Post Thanks / Like
    probably just coincidence. Did you click your gas cap at least 4 times after filling up?
    If not, or you don't remember, go click it 4 times. If the light isn't flashing and the car is running fine, if it's still on in 100-200 miles, take it in. A burnout won't cause the light to come on.

Post Thanks / Like
    My RT has 1400 miles on it and my wife drove it like it was stollen, doing smoke shows donuts and testing the ABS FROM 110MPH. As for lights or any other signs FROM the car?? I actually think I saw it smile. Sorry I cant help.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Please comment

Quote Originally Posted by lkd53
    I don't care if it's happened to you or not. 26 reads and no replies is rediculous.
    A bit impatient aren't we??

Perhaps if you would give a bit more information we could help you. I do not know of a malfunction light on the car. Did it say Malfunction?? Did it say ESP?? Did it say BAS?? Did it say WOW!?!?
    2005 Dodge Magnum R/T

"If a man is called to be a streetsweeper, he should sweep streets as Michelangelo painted or Shakespeare wrote poetry. He should sweep streets so well that all the hosts of heaven and earth will pause to say, here lived a great streetsweeper who did his job well."
    -Martin Luther King, Jr.

Post Thanks / Like
    I did not notice any lights on burnouts, but on the dyno, I got the ESP/BAS and Brake lights while running the car. This was probably due to difference in rear wheel speed FROM front wheels. Now when I do a burnout, the brakes are applied, so that may be why I did not notice/get a light. The ESP was turned off using the dash switch before starting burnouts or the run on the dyno.
    Robert and Alice - Engaged 12/13/2008, NYC Central Park on "Gothic" footbridge, Married 5/19/2012

R.I.P. Dad aka DynoBob

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MagnumFreak

Perhaps if you would give a bit more information we could help you. I do not know of a malfunction light on the car. Did it say Malfunction?? Did it say ESP?? Did it say BAS?? Did it say WOW!?!?
    I read many posts without answering them, why?
    1) because I read all the post to see what's going on and to keep myself informed of potential problems with the Magnums.
    2) I'm not a Dodge tech or a mechanic, so I don't know everything.
    3) I'm not a computer, so if your engine light is on, go to the dealer and or get a scan tool to see what the light relates to.
    4) This is a forum to share experiences, discuss problems..., not a mechanic web page where you'll magically get the answer needed to fix your vehicle.
    Enjoy the forum for what it is, and enjoy your Magnum.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, I was a bit impatient. I can't help it. I just want to make sure my baby was allright. The dealer isn't going to be open until tomorrow. I was a bit worried.

If you look on page 132 in the owners manual (Magnum RT), item 24 is the light that is on. Then on page 140 is the explanation. It says something about bad gas or a loose gas cap. I tightened the cap and drove the car twice. The light is still on. It's ben abot 35 miles or so. It's not flashing, so I'm not as concerned as I was.

thanks to all who responded.

Post Thanks / Like
    It takes a few times for this one to reset. I believe somewhere around 4 times. I would give it a bit before you take the time to go INTO the dealer. It is also possible that you have a bad gas cap. If it doesn't reset soon they just may need to REPLACE it.

Post Thanks / Like
    It takes a few times for this one to reset. I believe somewhere around 4 times. I would give it a bit before you take the time to go INTO the dealer. It is also possible that you have a bad gas cap. If it doesn't reset soon they just may need to REPLACE it.
    Hey, thanks. THat's nice to know. I was about to drive the Silverado in tomorrow. I haven't driven her much since I got the RT. Man, this is one sweet ride. I honestly feel it's the best vehicle I have ever owned. It may well be the last one I ever buy. I'm middle aged,so I can say that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Interesting post, I have been driving my RT a little harder after 4K, and even with ESP on, I can break the rears loose easy, ask Cucamonga Red and djemcee when I took them for ride, both of them freaked, and Red says he almost wetted my back seat, I just feathered the throttle back before getting INTO the dirt, then launched to 85 in a few seconds!
    My bet is that nothing id wrong, the computer is probably just learning your driving habbits.
    Enjoy the ride, 'cause it is absolutley the best!\
    Intersted to see the outcome on this one!
    Later,
    '8R

Post Thanks / Like

Did it say Malfunction?? Did it say ESP?? Did it say Bas?? Did it say WOW!?!?
    I'm sorry... that was FUNNY AS HELL!! *chuckles*

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MAGNUM8R
    Interesting post, I have been driving my RT a little harder after 4K, and even with ESP on, I can break the rears loose easy, ask Cucamonga Red and djemcee when I took them for ride, both of them freaked, and Red says he almost wetted my back seat, I just feathered the throttle back before getting INTO the dirt, then launched to 85 in a few seconds!
    My bet is that nothing id wrong, the computer is probably just learning your driving habbits.
    Enjoy the ride, 'cause it is absolutley the best!\
    Intersted to see the outcome on this one!
    Later,
    '8R
    I forgot to say mine only has 750 miles on it. Am I stupid for "abusing" it like that?

I am of the opinion, "Break it in the same way you'll be driving it."

I'll keep you posted on how it turns out.

Post Thanks / Like

Update

Well, the light was still on going to work this morning,but it was off going home and stayed off. The car has been started 4 or 5 times since then. I just went over 800 miles. I can hardly wait to get a little time off to go on a little road trip. ANyway, thanks again for everbody's input.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Update

Hows that go??

DRIVE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT

It will love you for it!!

Jim
    05 Magnum RT 5.7 (Member ALLPAR.com 200,000 mile club) Rockinsrt8 shifter, Hemi reg #164 325,000 miles
    Sidewinder, 6.1 pushrods, springs, underdrive pulley, SRT exhaust (donated by NHDave) headers to tips, all installed by Hemi31! Quaife, certain Pedders bushes installed, SRT Nivomats and Bilsteins. Police rotors and pads. HIR. Predator. LMI.

09 Jeep GC Limited, Hemi powered of course.

1:19 NJMP Lightning
    1:45 Mosport

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Share This Thread