LX Forums Forum banner

Delay in starting when hitting starter.

3K views 16 replies 6 participants last post by  bookeem 
#1 ·
Lately I've been getting a delay when starting the car. I have to hold the key for just a second longer than I used to.

It seems that this happens when the car is cold, but if coming out of a store, or other short trip, then it just fires right up instantly - LIKE IT ALWAYS USED TO.

Any thoughts?

#2 ·
Do the squiggles and ABS light come on, whent his happens? Also, when you put into drive does it clunk?

#3 ·
Nope, really no other symptoms.

About the only other info I can think of is I recently updated my S.C. to the latest version. And also, I finally got a CEL because of my 170 thermostat. I hadn't gotten a code yet, I guess since it was summer, and the cooler mornings didn't let it warm up quick enough.

Other than that, no issues.

#4 ·
Wierd, because when this happens to me, i get the squiggly and abs lights on. then i go into limp mode. Happens when i update SC sometimes. What are the codes you are getting?

#11 ·
from online database:

Case Number: K46636608
Vehicle Issue: Longer Than Normal Starter Delay Before Cranking.
Year: 2005 | 2006
Model: LX - 300 | LX - Magnum
Category: Customer Concern (No DTCs)
System or Component: Starting System
Symptom: Delay in Cranking
Condition Verification: Yes - Intermittent | Yes - Continuously
Case Verification: 2005 LX. Has a starter delay of longer than 2 to 3 seconds before vehicle cranks.
Recommendation: Inspect for a bad connection at pin 38 of the PCM C3 connector.
Comments: A starter delay of 2 to 3 seconds before the vehicle cranks is normal.

#13 ·
Thanks fnky, but this is seeming to be not a starter issue. The starter is engaging right away, but it cranks longer than normal sometimes before it fires up.

Realized I was not clear in my first post.
i'd be checking fuel pressure for leak down after key off. also need to check CMP sensor signal during crank.

#15 ·
Amazing, what a coincidence!!! I was going to start a post about this very thing and I may have your solution!!!

I don't know if I got a tank of bad gas or what but my car started doing the same exact thing a week ago. 2 to 3 second crank longer than normal required to start. Restart with warm engine not a problem. I added a bottle of STP Injector Cleaner when I filled my gas tank. Problem was gone in 24 hours. Absolutely gone as if it never happened. I usually add a bottle of Injector Cleaner to a tankful around the same time I do oil changes (every 3,000 miles) but I skipped it last time. Also, I took a road trip to some TX backwaters and filled the tank in some really out of the way places...lol. The problem started as soon as I got home from the trip. Maybe some gas treatment would have worked as well but the Injector Cleaner worked like a charm for me. Hope this helps.

#16 ·
Amazing, what a coincidence!!! I was going to start a post about this very thing and I may have your solution!!!

I don't know if I got a tank of bad gas or what but my car started doing the same exact thing a week ago. 2 to 3 second crank longer than normal required to start. Restart with warm engine not a problem. I added a bottle of STP Injector Cleaner when I filled my gas tank. Problem was gone in 24 hours. Absolutely gone as if it never happened. I usually add a bottle of Injector Cleaner to a tankful around the same time I do oil changes (every 3,000 miles) but I skipped it last time. Also, I took a road trip to some TX backwaters and filled the tank in some really out of the way places...lol. The problem started as soon as I got home from the trip. Maybe some gas treatment would have worked as well but the Injector Cleaner worked like a charm for me. Hope this helps.
Thanks! It seems as if mine is not doing it anymore too. Only thing that changed was a tank of gas. Maybe I had the same issues.
I'll see if it does it in the next couple days.

#17 ·
this has been happening randomly since ive owned the car, 06 2.7 magnum...

at first start up in the morning i have to hold the key longer to start the car, almost seems like it wont turn over sometimes then fires up, rpms rise to normal cold temp level, then it will suddenly drop like it wants to stall, catch itself and then goes back to normal. for the rest of the day it will fire and turn over fine...next morning it will do it again...

then theres times it goes away for months, and fires/turns right over with no issues...but always seems to act up again sooner or later, never any codes..just embarrasing sometimes in the morning when i even have to stop letting it crank, then turn the key again and it fires right up the second time...

sometimes i even turn the key to let the fuel pump prime, with out cranking, then do it again and crank it, to see if makes a difference, but it doesnt...

anyone have any ideas, possible crank sensor? anythings i can check/diagnose myself to see if makes a difference, even though i would get to try one different thing a day to see if it makes a difference the next morning...

thanks for any insight guys..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.