Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Delay in starting when hitting starter.

Lately I've been getting a delay when starting the car. I have to hold the key for just a second longer than I used to.

It seems that this happens when the car is cold, but if coming out of a store, or other short trip, then it just fires right up instantly - LIKE IT ALWAYS USED TO.

Any thoughts?

Post Thanks / Like
    Do the squiggles and ABS light come on, whent his happens? Also, when you put into drive does it clunk?
    2012 Dodge Charger

PB 1/8 run: 7.92 @ 86.92 * 1.76 60' on street tires with DA at 1786 - All Stock

Current mods:

Custom tune by Lxmodguy, Stage II VB, Corsa Extreme Exhaust and LMI true CAI

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rander View Post
    Do the squiggles and ABS light come on, whent his happens? Also, when you put into drive does it clunk?
    Nope, really no other symptoms.

About the only other info I can think of is I recently updated my S.C. to the latest version. And also, I finally got a CEL because of my 170 thermostat. I hadn't gotten a code yet, I guess since it was summer, and the cooler mornings didn't let it warm up quick enough.

Other than that, no issues.

Post Thanks / Like
    Wierd, because when this happens to me, i get the squiggly and abs lights on. then i go into limp mode. Happens when i update SC sometimes. What are the codes you are getting?

Post Thanks / Like
    I can't recal the numbers, but they are the typical "thermostat" codes.

Post Thanks / Like
    So, no PCM communication failures?

Post Thanks / Like
    No, I think I would have remembered/been alarmed about that one. IIRC, it was just thermo stuff.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, I'm out of ideas. Hope you get it solved brother.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rander View Post

What would things like this indicate? I'm more interested in the "clunk" when you put it into drive. I don't have an issue with my vehicle just curious as to what this means/and or would indicate is going on. Also what does it mean when those 2 lights come on mentioned above. Thanks for educating me!

Post Thanks / Like
    I THINK that the clunk is addressed in a Tranny flash TSB. But I'm not 100% on that.

Post Thanks / Like
    from online database:

Case Number: K46636608
    Vehicle Issue: Longer Than Normal Starter Delay Before Cranking.
    Year: 2005 | 2006
    Model: LX - 300 | LX - Magnum
    Category: Customer Concern (No DTCs)
    System or Component: Starting System
    Symptom: Delay in Cranking
    Condition Verification: Yes - Intermittent | Yes - Continuously
    Case Verification: 2005 LX. Has a starter delay of longer than 2 to 3 seconds before vehicle cranks.
    Recommendation: Inspect for a bad connection at pin 38 of the PCM C3 connector.
    Comments: A starter delay of 2 to 3 seconds before the vehicle cranks is normal.
    Izzy pics

Quote Originally Posted by Canadianknight
    I got it all straightened out with them guys. All good... feel bad for calling 'em a stealership now.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks fnky, but this is seeming to be not a starter issue. The starter is engaging right away, but it cranks longer than normal sometimes before it fires up.

Realized I was not clear in my first post.
    Last edited by Pale Rider; 09-04-2007 at 11:25 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Pale Rider View Post
    Thanks fnky, but this is seeming to be not a starter issue. The starter is engaging right away, but it cranks longer than normal sometimes before it fires up.

Realized I was not clear in my first post.
    i'd be checking fuel pressure for leak down after key off. also need to check CMP sensor signal during crank.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks! I'll be keeping those in mind.

Post Thanks / Like
    Amazing, what a coincidence!!! I was going to start a post about this very thing and I may have your solution!!!

I don't know if I got a tank of bad gas or what but my car started doing the same exact thing a week ago. 2 to 3 second crank longer than normal required to start. Restart with warm engine not a problem. I added a bottle of STP Injector Cleaner when I filled my gas tank. Problem was gone in 24 hours. Absolutely gone as if it never happened. I usually add a bottle of Injector Cleaner to a tankful around the same time I do oil changes (every 3,000 miles) but I skipped it last time. Also, I took a road trip to some TX backwaters and filled the tank in some really out of the way places...lol. The problem started as soon as I got home from the trip. Maybe some gas treatment would have worked as well but the Injector Cleaner worked like a charm for me. Hope this helps.
    All my posts are made from 100% recycled electrons!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Share This Thread