Thread: Tire Safety ?

Post Thanks / Like

Tire Safety ?

What's the safety point (speed rating) on a V rated tire if you have to have a patch for an extremely slow leak caused be a very small flat nail?

Post Thanks / Like
    Doesn't anybody have an answer for me. I need to know how fast I can go still without having any safety issues.

Post Thanks / Like
    Honestly, I would keep it under 55 until you can get a new tire. :(

Post Thanks / Like
    The speed rating is for a unmolested factory tire. A small nail hole with a patch inside the tire should not be an issue for most driving.

If you are driving over 120 MPH for long periods you might consider a new tire. Driving 80 MPH on the interstate for long periods should not cause too much concern.
    Enjoy life- you only get one!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Chris, I don't think I can do that unless my foot looses a lot of weight.

Quote Originally Posted by FactoryD View Post
    Honestly, I would keep it under 55 until you can get a new tire. :(

Post Thanks / Like
    So long as it is repaired correctly you shouldnt have any issues unless you are pushing it to the max. In the military we repaired our own tires . First we plugged the hole , then we ground out an area so the patch would sit almost flush inside it. Granted these werent high speed tires , but we have had the Hummers well over 80 MPH with no issues.

Since I have a V6 I dont have the issues with top speed you do , lol.

~Gary

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok, so you think I'm safe for stretches between 70 & 90 with an occasional burst to 110ish on occasion (til I replace). The tire shop guy told me because it is a V rated tire he did not drill out the hole to save some of the speed rating. He told me not to go over 140 (not a problem with a stock RT anyway).

Quote Originally Posted by Shelby View Post
    The speed rating is for a unmolested factory tire. A small nail hole with a patch inside the tire should not be an issue for most driving.

If you are driving over 120 MPH for long periods you might consider a new tire. Driving 80 MPH on the interstate for long periods should not cause too much concern.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Brilliant R/T View Post
    Thanks Chris, I don't think I can do that unless my foot looses a lot of weight.
    LOL. I hear ya Joel. I totally agree with everyone. The only reason I say that is because a blow out can be a very dangerous thing to happen and I don't want to be the one that told you it would be cool.

Post Thanks / Like
    I knew you cared. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by FactoryD View Post
    LOL. I hear ya Joel. I totally agree with everyone. The only reason I say that is because a blow out can be a very dangerous thing to happen and I don't want to be the one that told you it would be cool.

Post Thanks / Like
    He loves ya man .... now give him a Budweiser !

Post Thanks / Like
    With a properly repaired tire (at a good tireshop), I don't think you will have a problem 70-90 with a blast to 110 once in awhile.

The risk *IS* higher for a blowout, can't deny that.... but I, Personally, would have no problem with it in my ride.
    2012 Ram 1500 Express - 4x4 - HEMI - Black

Experience is that marvelous thing that enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again - Franklin P. Jones
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. - Albert Einstein

Post Thanks / Like
    The actual rule of thumb is, you loose 1 speed rating for every repair up to 2, after the second repair, it drops to a S speed rating(102 mph) so if you have a V rated tire, it is now an H(130 mph)...and that's only if the tire was repaired using tire industry standards...
    Previously: "Vanessa" 2006 Charger R/T with all kinds of little details and a unique red bee stripe...
    Currently: "Maleficent" 2006 300 SRT8 option groupII, rear seat VES, Kicker stereo upgrade... 86K
    Future: 2015 Charger SRT Hellcat( late availability!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Eric for the re-assurance. So I will assume I now have a H rated tire (1 repair with patch only, no plug, not drilled out to make the hole larger).

Quote Originally Posted by CHARGERSHED View Post
    The actual rule of thumb is, you loose 1 speed rating for every repair up to 2, after the second repair, it drops to a S speed rating(102 mph) so if you have a V rated tire, it is now an H(130 mph)...and that's only if the tire was repaired using tire industry standards...

Share This Thread