Post Thanks / Like

Talking Holy Lubrication Canisters, Batman!!!

I was reading somewhere in the various forums about a larger oil filter, that fits the new Hemi's. I prefer WIX Filters, and NAPA Gold are made by WIX.
    the standard filter for the 5.7 Hemi is a 51085, for NAPA Gold, remove the 5, and you have 1085. But for an extra HUGE Filter, like an extra quart's worth, I am going to try a 51773, WIX, or a 1773 NAPA Gold. This mother is humongous. I'll let you know how well it works

Jeff East - Gilbert, AZ.

2007 Charger R/T Daytona, Sublime #0108, "Margarita" SOLD, but not forgotten
    2012 Charger R/T Road & Track w/Super Track Pack, BORN 11-11-2011, DIED 07-02-2013
    2013 Charger R/T Road & Track Daytona w/ Super Track Pack, Blue Pearl #1901 BORN 07-12-2013

Post Thanks / Like
    I'll be waiting for your report!

Post Thanks / Like

Talking 1773 on board, no leaks

I now have an 8 quart crankcase
    Took the filter to Ed Moses, said, I'll trade you.
    You keep your factory filter, in exchange for the extra 3/4 quart of Mobil 1 I will need, by using the NAPA Gold 1773 filter. (NAPA Gold is made by WIX)

When I picked it up last night, I asked the counter person, what application is this filter for. He said Ford 6 liter diesel and Massey Ferguson Farm Tractor.

Post Thanks / Like
    Good find there, Jeff. I may have to try one.

When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all.
    My friends call me JONN (usually).

Post Thanks / Like
    Wix Filters of Gastonia, NC. I started selling those in 1964 at my fathers WD/Jobber auto parts store in Dayton, Ohio.

They are the inventors of the spin on oil filter in 1954. Ford had contracted with them.
    Hal - Semi retired 66 year old fat guy on Medicare and Social Security but still working
    2006 300C B. Black SRT8 Called Rodney
    426 - 690/701 on a street tune without the N2O
    Edelbrock e-Force @ 11lbs. Quiet, makes Rodney a sleeper.
    Nitrous Outlet Plate
    LMI custom CAI
    Paramount Nag1 and 4K
    Interim work done by Cam
    Brought back to life by Scott and Jon at AMP (MY HEROS)
    Tuned by Johan.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok, educate me.

What's the advantage of a huge mother filter.

I always use Royal Purple 5W20 and a K&N oil filter. All changes are at 3000 miles. I know the synthetic could probably go a little longer, but I prefer to keep clean oil in the car.

So what would this buy me?
    FRI Econo Heads & FRI Sidewinder: Installed @ BFNY by Hemi31 with special guest Fnkychkn, JBA Shorties, JBA/HHP hi-flow catted mids, stock SRT8 cat-back, C&L CAI.
    HUGE thanks to Hemiwagn and HalfFast Performance for making it all possible.
    12.645@108.18

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Token View Post
    Ok, educate me.

What's the advantage of a huge mother filter.

I always use Royal Purple 5W20 and a K&N oil filter. All changes are at 3000 miles. I know the synthetic could probably go a little longer, but I prefer to keep clean oil in the car.

So what would this buy me?
    In short $$$$. You can lengthen your oil change interval. You could easily go to 5K miles with what you're using now without problems.

By using a larger filter your giving yourself (as an example) double the filtering capacity. So your oil will take twice as long to get dirty and need to be changed. The means you could extend your oil changes to 6-8K miles (as an example). Make sense?

"The 5.7L engine was designed to be a balance of cost, weight, and power. The SRT 6.1L engine was designed to kick ass." - Team SRT
    "She'll make point five past lightspeed. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid. I've made a lot of special modifications myself." Han Solo - the future of Hot Rodding

Share This Thread