Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 69
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    southern ca
    Posts
    12,333
    Post Thanks / Like

    is it illegal to not have a front license plate?

    is it illegal to not have a front license plate? our cars just look a lot better without a front license plate. i have seen lots of lxs without them. anyone have any issues with cops here in southern california?





  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Des Plaines, IL
    Posts
    2,111
    Post Thanks / Like
    Depends on how well you can shmooze the cop.

    per the Califorinia Government site, here is the law about the plates
    http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d03/vc5200.htm

    5200. (a) When two license plates are issued by the department for use upon a vehicle, they shall be attached to the vehicle for which they were issued, one in the front and the other in the rear. (b) When only one license plate is issued for use upon a vehicle, it shall be attached to the rear thereof , unless the license plate is issued for use upon a truck tractor, in which case the license plate shall be displayed in accordance with Section 4850.5.
    Amended Sec. 27, Ch. 594, Stats. 2003. Effective January 1, 2004.

    In so many words... if you can convince them that you were only issued 1 (good luck) then you can go on your way...
    -Patrick



  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    southern ca
    Posts
    12,333
    Post Thanks / Like
    damn it! lol ive seen a lot of people just put the license plate on the dash...is that a good thing?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    almost Mexico, CA
    Posts
    3,740
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, in California its illegal to not have a front plate. You are right that a lot of the CA guys around here run around without them (including me). The general consensus is that unless the cop is a real gunning for you, you won't get pulled over for just the plate. They tend to add it on to things like speeding tickets. It is usually a fix-it ticket too. I have mine on the bracket in the trunk, you know because it just got knocked off in the car wash.

    "The 5.7L engine was designed to be a balance of cost, weight, and power. The SRT 6.1L engine was designed to kick ass." - Team SRT
    "She'll make point five past lightspeed. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid. I've made a lot of special modifications myself." Han Solo - the future of Hot Rodding

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    2
    Post Thanks / Like

    Exclamation Front Plate Required???

    The vehicle code in California(5200a) states that ..."front and rear installations required when two plates are issued"... Fine is only $25 plus court costs and penalities....If you $25 per time is cost effective, you can keep your front lines clean, otherwise a cool decorated plate frame looks good.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    SO. CALIFORNIA
    Posts
    1,409
    Post Thanks / Like
    They are really cracking down on this. I was parked in a metrolink parking lot last week, got off the train and into my car and saw a flyer on the windsheild. Put the wipers on high hopeing to just shake it off and noticed it was a ticket for no front plate. Looked around and saw atleast a dozen other cars with the same greeting, like shooting fish in a barrel. $25 fine.
    http://s135.photobucket.com/albums/q150/jinasse/
    Look in my photobucket link for more examples of my
    Custom Embroidery
    E-MAIL jinasse@sbcglobal.net

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Sherman Oaks, SoCal
    Posts
    613
    Post Thanks / Like
    Having no front license plate is a fix it ticket in California. The same goes for tinted windows.

    Lots of people don't get hassled for not having one but my cop buddy stated it's PC (probable cause) to pull you over if they wanted to. Which means they now have a reason to F with you. He says its those stops that usually leads to other criminal infractions that has led to bigger bust like drugs, firearms, perole violators, dui, suspended license etc. And all because you don't have a front plate!

    If ya get pulled over it will most likely be a motor traffic cop. They are the nice ones!

    And even though there's a law in the books I think its pretty gay to get stop for the sole reason of having tinted windows or no front plate!

    I know this because my wife got pulled over and cited last week for having tinted windows...thats it! No other reason! It's such a waste of time because its such a STUPID LAW!!! It doesn't even generate any city revenue. It's like the cops ran out of things to do like go after really bad people or something!

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    IN THE ETHER
    Posts
    1,491
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by redsrt6.1 View Post
    Lots of people don't get hassled for not having one but my cop buddy stated it's PC (probable cause) to pull you over if they wanted to. Which means they now have a reason to F with you. He says its those stops that usually leads to other criminal infractions that has led to bigger bust like drugs, firearms, perole violators, dui, suspended license etc. And all because you don't have a front plate!
    Yes, this is true. It is a great tool for LEOs. It also leads to arrest of wanted felons, rapist, and serial killers. Well documented fact. So, if you get a no front plate ticket, please dont complain. Get it fixed and leave it on.

    Quote Originally Posted by redsrt6.1 View Post
    If ya get pulled over it will most likely be a motor traffic cop. They are the nice ones!
    Easy now! I AM one of those nice motor cops. Ask Magnum8R

    Quote Originally Posted by redsrt6.1 View Post
    And even though there's a law in the books I think its pretty gay to get stop for the sole reason of having tinted windows or no front plate!

    I know this because my wife got pulled over and cited last week for having tinted windows...thats it! No other reason! It's such a waste of time because its such a STUPID LAW!!! It doesn't even generate any city revenue. It's like the cops ran out of things to do like go after really bad people or something!
    Well Good. I stop and issue tinted window tickets all the time. Still falls under the no front plate issue. Its a good stop for PC. Also, for peace officers, tinted windows are an officer safety issue. If your windows are tinted, I cant see you but you can see me. That is a position LEOs do not like. I cannot see your hands or what you are up to. You may have a gun or hiding drugs, etc. May not be YOU, but the sh!t bag that carjacked and stole your car and has been using it to commit crimes. And that individual may be out to kill me. Do I want to take a chance and find out who's in the car? NO!

    Also tinted windows obstruct the drivers view out the car. I always here front people that its a BS but it is true. Especially at night. And from a motorcyclists point of view, its a safety issue. I have seen it many times. I will come up to in intersection or some driveway. People are pulling. I always look at the driver to see where they are looking and to see if they see ME. With tinted windows, I cannot see the driver to tell what they are intending to due. I have had some close calls with people with tinted windows. This is my experience on my CHP motor and my personal motor.

    Here's something about fix it tickets. An officer has the discretion to make a fix it ticket non-dismissable. An officer can give you a ticket for having a headlamp out. That ticket is dismissable. Along with a busted taillamp. The driver did not have knowledge that the lights were out. Now with tint and plates it can be considered non-disimmable. That means you have or had knowledge that the violation is on you car. Everyone knows that tinted windows and no front plates are illegal. Doesnt matter what you say, everyone knows. By making a ticket non-dissimable, you have to pay a fine and penalty assessments and still get the violation fixed. If you continue to get the same ticket over(perhaps you pissed off a cop), the officer can cite you for "failure to comply" and that opens up another can of worms.

    Back to tint. California is now starting to track the tinted window tickets on your driver's license record. A tinted window ticket will run you around $100 and you have to remove the tint. If you put the tint back on and get another ticket the fine will double to $200. Get another ticket and the fine will double again to $400 and double again for another ticket. You will also run into the "failure to comply" issue.

    Moral of the story. DONT RIDE DIRTY Keep your car legal. Believe me, mine is. Our management patrol the employee lot and inspect our POVs. If we have a violation we get a talk'n to.
    PEACE OUT YO!!!

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    64
    Post Thanks / Like
    thanks for the info shaggin magnum. Gotta question...what about those plates that arent license plates...ya know...like Dodge Ram head, or national flags and the like? Are those illegal or are they considers plates?
    Thanks for the info.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    IN THE ETHER
    Posts
    1,491
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by charger555 View Post
    thanks for the info shaggin magnum. Gotta question...what about those plates that arent license plates...ya know...like Dodge Ram head, or national flags and the like? Are those illegal or are they considers plates?
    Thanks for the info.
    Still illegal. Like 5200a VC states whenever two plates are issued from the DMV, they both have to be securely fastened to the vehicle. DMV ALWAYS issues two plates. If you bought a vehicle that only has one plate, it is your responsibility to go the DMV and get another plate.

    My plate actually flew off awhile back. I had it on. I pulled into my office and one of the officers tells me jokingly he was going to give me a ticket for no front plate. Sure enough it was gone. I remember some of the LX bust'n my chops because I had not plate. I went to the DMV, got another one and put it on.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    64
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaggin Magnum View Post
    I pulled into my office and one of the officers tells me jokingly he was going to give me a ticket for no front plate.
    HAHA! Thanks for the info.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    santa ana ca
    Posts
    22
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by blackmagnum06 View Post
    damn it! lol ive seen a lot of people just put the license plate on the dash...is that a good thing?

    I WONDER THE SAME THING???

  13. #13
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Belmont Shores, Ca.
    Posts
    514
    Post Thanks / Like
    Over two years and still no ticket. I have been pulled over for it one time, but they just use that as an excuse to check me. I dont mind it though. It definetely looks better with out the plate in the front.
    Proud So Cal LX member - www.socallx.com - Vice President of Local Finesse car club - www.localfinesse.cc


    Mods: 22" DUB Esinem's, Grill Craft grill, 265/30/22 Prada Spec-X tires on DUB Esinem wheels, gun metal LED tail lights, CCFL Halo head lights, 8000K HID's in headlights and fog lights, air bags with nitrogen and wireless remote, Zoomers exhaust, JBA Mid Pipes, Diablo Trinity, 150 shot ZEX nitrous, Pioneer Avic Z-2 head unit, Billet Technologies interior knobs and switches, 2.5 million color LED undercairage.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    16,623
    Post Thanks / Like
    Shaggin, lets talk hypathetically for a minute...

    If I had a *friend* that had tinted front windows, say 35%, and he was pulled over, knowing that its a safety concern for the LEO, it is a good idea to roll the windows down entirely as the pulling over is in progress? Or, will the LEO interpret that as a trying to hide something kinda deal, and get ticked off? What should I, erh my friend, do if this were to ever happen (which it hasn't!)?

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    64
    Post Thanks / Like
    my question is, what is a legal amount af tint allowed?? I'll be getting my windows tinted prety soo and I'd like to know before hand.

    Thanks again

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Share This Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •