Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Lug nuts replacement (with locks)

UPDATE: forget the pepboys set, get this one: http://store.summitracing.com/partde...0&autoview=sku READ POST #65 FOR PICTURES.

I found out the hard way, after having half of my stock lug nuts stripped and destroyed, that the stock lug nuts are good for nothing.
    They are regular nuts covered with an aluminum cover shaped like a lug nut but they will break off, strip off, get stuck in the lug wrench, all kind of crap...
    Last time I rotated my tires, half of them got destroyed and ended up in the trash so I went to pepboys with my wife's car and bought a whole set of lug nuts with locks for $29.99 (emergency situation)
    This is no great write up, just some info I think should be shared with all.
    Also, I don't know if they all come like this on all the different size wheels... but it's good info.

What is needed is 14x1.5, conical seat of 60 degree and bulge type.
    Last edited by joseph; 06-06-2007 at 06:24 AM.
    Thanks fnkychkn thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Did you bother to compare the tapered seat width of the old lug nuts to the new ones?

I have yet to find a proper set of lug nut replacements, that have the wider width like the stock nuts do.

Take a long look.

Bob
    Bob in Ocala, Florida, 05' Magnum RT, 74 years young - married 53 years. Superchips tuner & Flowmaster 40's. 402 Motoring rear spoiler, mud flaps, tinted & painted tail lights. Danko shaker hood, 69' Charger grille, front spoiler, rear diffuser.

Post Thanks / Like

lug nuts

yes, fla. r/t you are right about the tapered seat being smaller. I have a set of gorilla locks, that I am afraid to put on, because of the difference in the size. I called gorilla direct, and even though they say they are correct, I'm still debating if I should put them on, or not.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wantit View Post
    yes, fla. r/t you are right about the tapered seat being smaller. I have a set of gorilla locks, that I am afraid to put on, because of the difference in the size. I called gorilla direct, and even though they say they are correct, I'm still debating if I should put them on, or not.

Yeah, I hear you. I have a set of Gorilla's also, plus a set from Summit and another set from ????? laying around in my garage. I just don't trust them enough to put them on.

Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    If by "tapered" you mean the "acorn-shaped" curve where lug meets wheel....the stock curvature is 60 degrees. The lugs I got at Discount Tire for $1.25 each when I got the BFG's put on have the same taper. 14mm x 1.5 x 60 degree curve. They fit the stock 18" Mag wheels perfectly. I have no idea what brand they are...my regular Discount Tire guy is as big a fanatic as I am and he went the distance on these for me or I'd just be talkin' out my butt here.
    All my posts are made from 100% recycled electrons!

Post Thanks / Like
    Delete/remove thread.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wantit View Post
    Very interested in this comment -- I had NTB put Gorilla's on my SRT8 -- I too noticed they are narrower and much longer than the stock lugs -- it seems there are 2 Gorilla sets that will fit -- the 1st set he looked up he was out of stock on -- I wonder if that's a "better" set than the ones I ended up with.
    6.1L HEMI #622 '07 TorRed MSRT8 1/165= TORRED >< 6.1L HEMI '10 Silver Jeep GC SRT8=4X4JET
    MSRT8 owners http://www.lxforums.com/board/group.php?groupid=24

Post Thanks / Like
    I am talking about the actual width of the tapered seat of the lug nut that fits against the wheel. All the replacement lug nuts I have seen (that will actually bolt on) have a much narrower seat area - which to me, would dig into the rim, and not be safe. When I bought new tires, the guys installing them said they would NOT use the new lug nuts I had bought, as the seat area was too narrow - might cause damage to the rim.

So I am still using my original lug nuts, until I find a suitable replacement.

Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Delete/remove thread.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by joseph View Post

Joseph you have the condition that FRT is referring to...you can see a portion of the tapered hole on the rim...meaning that it is digging into the rim and not covering the full seat....I have a set of Gorilla nuts as well and have not put them on for this reason since I am using the stock 18s
    RIP

12.869 @ 102.02 Stock 5.7 w/ C&L, Predator, JBA Cats, Volant catback, 3.06 Getrag, DRs & skinnies www.hemirace.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Carfinish View Post
    Joseph you have the condition that FRT is referring to...you can see a portion of the tapered hole on the rim...meaning that it is digging into the rim and not covering the full seat....I have a set of Gorilla nuts as well and have not put them on for this reason since I am using the stock 18s
    Glad someone else shares my thoughts...................nice color Magnum you have. I also have a Magnesium Pearl Magnum.

Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FloridaRT View Post
    Glad someone else shares my thoughts...................nice color Magnum you have. I also have a Magnesium Pearl Magnum.

Bob
    right back atcha...thanks Bob

I wish they would make some after market nuts with proper seating....don't want to be stuck one day and spring is coming here and hopefully none of my nuts gets trashed even though I have a couple spares

Stell

Post Thanks / Like
    The first change I made to the Mag was locking lug nuts from Les Schwab. In their kit, all the lug nuts were lockers. I never noticed any problem with them, even when I went from the stock rims to the Centerlines. Gives me food for thought, though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Delete/remove thread.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Share This Thread