LX Forums Forum banner

How is the Police Charger different then the public version? *

61K views 85 replies 50 participants last post by  schulmann 
#1 ·
From the Charger Police Vehicle Press Release from DaimlerChrysler

Preliminary Standard Features
Standard features on the 2006 Dodge Charger police vehicle will include the following items of particular importance to law enforcement customers:
  • 100-amp battery power feed in trunk
  • 160-amp high-output alternator
  • 160-mph calibrated speedometer
  • 800CCA heavy-duty battery
  • cloth front bucket seats with manual lumbar and rear fixed bench seat
  • column shifter
  • easy path wiring grommet between underhood and passenger compartment
  • emergency rear-door-lock override
  • external oil coolers
  • four-wheel independent performance suspension
  • heavy-duty brakes and linings
  • integrated engine hour meter
  • P225/60R 18 V-rated all-season performance tires and 18-inch steel wheels
  • performance-tuned steering
  • police equipment interface module
  • police equipment mounting bracket
  • rear door locks and rear window switches inoperable from the rear seats
  • severe-duty cooling system
  • software-controlled alternating head- and taillamps
  • special electrical wiring for police market applications
  • speed control
  • stealth mode switch for interior lighting
Additional standard features and optional equipment are available on the Dodge Charger police vehicle to provide law enforcement customers an affordable vehicle with industry- leading innovations that make upfitting the vehicle faster and safer.

See less See more
#2 ·
Check out the column shifter, has an auto stick on/off and a little toggle switch labeled + and -. Is this on any other lx? or special to police package? just curious.

#3 ·
special to the po-leece.

Whats up with "speed control"? Thought that was the gas pedal.

Dang I envy all those beefed up electricals. Perfect for my 1000-watt lighting mod.

#8 ·
Matt, that could refer to one of two things. The police model gets three mode ESP (not sure if the Mags do, they are special service, not pursuit) and so far, we've had two reports of Charger police vehicles excedding the 150 limiter, one from the Michigan State Police evaluation, which the DCX rep fluffed off as "a freak happenstance of conditions" and one uncorroborated report that the same thing happened during the Texas State police (not sure if I have org name right there) testing.

#5 ·
Anyone wanting the police version with that crazy shifter will just have to wait a few years until the cars start showing up at the auctions!

Cheers CANDYAPPLE:rock:

Reactions: RoadBoss2
#7 ·
Btw....

These features hold true for the Magnum version of the Police Package aw well ;)

#12 ·
Nah!!! that was vortex vapours coming off his lights (he was going so fast) :)

#13 ·
Glad to see they've beefed up the brakes - wouldn't want them catching fire like the old cop Intrepids... :doh:

These things must be cheap, cheap, cheap - I just noticed that my town (East Jerkwater, NH) just bought one, and here we can barely afford to keep the street lights on until dawn...

A word of warning: Watch your rear-view mirrors carefully - the Charger headlights look much different than your ordinary cop headlights...

#25 · (Edited)
Glad to see they've beefed up the brakes - wouldn't want them catching fire like the old cop Intrepids... ..
So what is the difference in the braking for a standard issue RT and these? Calipers, rotors & pads or is it more than that?

Could this be an improvment that we could take advantage of without going the big bucks of Brembo's (and other brands?) I like the idea of it being an OEM part and probably a simple bolt on.

#14 ·
The shifter is awful. It still has paddle stick built in but it's a pain to not only put it in gear but to also to actually use the autostick funtion. One of my best friends is a DE State Trooper and he has one of the five Chargers that DE has in testing... the only downside is that DE was given five V6 Chargers instead of the HEMI. They've tested the V6 because there was a complaint that it was too slow and they found out that it's just as fast as the Crown Vic's they already have.

We expect to have one of these Police Chargers out within the next couple of months to our local Poker Run so everyone can check them out. They're pretty cool.

Plus, all of the additional mods that come on these cars, if you decided that you really needed it, can be ordered through MOPAR if you really really want them.

Thanks!
Joshua, HHP

#16 ·
Plus, all of the additional mods that come on these cars, if you decided that you really needed it, can be ordered through MOPAR if you really really want them.

Thanks!
Joshua, HHP
I REALLY REALLY WANT THEM! (Or atleast want to know the price) but none of the supporting MOPAR vendors have come through with a single part number or MSRP or anything yet. Been after them all for months now!

#15 ·
shuman maybe he had cheech and chong in the back :)

Any you are right, I hope that is the only time I see the back interior of that vehicle.
;)

#24 ·
Does anyone know if we can order the Police rims/hupcaps and what size they are?

Would be perfect for my winter tires.
Yes you can order the rims... do a search should be listed here someplace.. I think Fnky posted the numbers for both one time.
18" rims

#23 ·
Umm how do I answer that and not get into trouble.... errrmm yes slight differences :)

#30 ·
Just to confirm, They are saying that the 3.5 Police charger is Pfaster( Sorry, Just installed a new Pfaucet in the bathroom) than the Crown Vic?
Last time I looked, and its been a while, the Vics were only 220HP. Also, I noticed that for a while, The Vic touring sedan was always 10HP higher than the LX Vic, and all Ford did was add another exhaust pipe...Somthing I believe we cannot do, due to our PCM`s.
A friend of mine is a police officer, and his city has been looking at the charger for patrol, and a magnum for the watch commander. The only downfall they see with either car is, if they install the cage behind the front seats, They`ll have to replace most of the force with Dwarfs, and perps would have to lay cross wise in the back;)

#32 ·
Yeah the 3.5 is about 20 MPH faster than the V-8 Vicky. After fitting the cages, we found that there was MORE room in the Charger than the Vic. Our tall guys scoot in and out of it like nobody's bidness. We've had 6-ft+, over 250 badguys in the back of ours. It ain't pretty, but they fit for the 10 minute ride to the station.

#34 ·
hey guys whats the red round thing on the headliner ???

#35 · (Edited)
hey guys whats the red round thing on the headliner ???
That's the Police package dome light which is switchable, either white light, red stealth light or no light. It does not come on with the doors open. One thing about the cop cars, if they have side airbags, there isn't a cage design available yet to allow the bags to deploy properly. They are still under development. As far as the police wheels, the part # is
04895425AC, for around $65 each. The lug nuts, part #
04895430AB, are $1.50 each. The basic chrome center caps, part #
04895432AA are around $26 each. The tire size is the same as the stock R/T models, P225/60R18. The only problem, the steel wheels do not accept tire pressure sensors, so you may have a tire pressure light on. (This is why the cop cars don't have TPM.) I have seen a option to enable/disable the TPM using the StarScan but have not tried it yet. Here in Mass. many Police departments are trying Chargers out, and the reviews are mainly positive. The Ma. State Police have 10 I think with 10 more on the way. My hometown of Braintree is trying out 2 V6's, but they are a little concerned about their fuel economy, they say it isn't that much lower than their Crown Vic. Interceptors, but they will see how they are when their fully broken in. The Hull police has 3 HEMI Chargers, 2 black & whites and one unmarked car for the police chief. The chief hated the lack of cupholders on the police console so he bought a civilian console and put it in himself. He said he was going to make something to cover over the empty hole in the console shift bezel. The only thing the Ma. Police departments hate is the fact if they need a new one right away, if the local leasing company that has a monopoly of the sales of police vehicles in Ma. doesn't have one with the options they want, they would have to order one, which takes about 9 weeks to get. (Normal LX cars have a tendency to take around 6-8 weeks to get.) Otherwise they love them.

#37 ·
Be carefull buying the police package wheels on eBay. There is a recall on many of the steel rims as they do not hold up to high speeds. Just a precaution. I'll tell you first hand that the police chargers are very fast. They do come in three engine option. 3.5l, 5.7l and the 6.1l. That is why you are seeing some with the brimbo brakes. They are showing up all over Michigan.

#39 · (Edited)
Be carefull buying the police package wheels on eBay. There is a recall on many of the steel rims as they do not hold up to high speeds. Just a precaution. I'll tell you first hand that the police chargers are very fast. They do come in three engine option. 3.5L, 5.7L and the 6.1L. That is why you are seeing some with the brimbo brakes. They are showing up all over Michigan.
Unless your talking about aftermarket replacements, there currently is no recalls for LX cop steel wheels. Only wheel recall I ever heard of was on the Crown Vics. There is also no LX cop cars with a 6.1L. Not yet at least. Unless you've opened a hood of one and actually seen a 6.1L, then I would find it hard to believe one exists. Only way would be a test mule, which could be plausible in Michigan, but the DCX reps. won't let you near one to open the hood and find out. Another consideration, they could be buying SRT8's as undercover cars.

#41 ·
When I'm wrong, I'm wrong. TBird is correct. Sorry for putting the wrong infomation out. I'll look into things more before making statements from memory. Thanks for the correction TBird.

#43 ·
The guys at the car wash here in Austin say that they wash the police chargers and the column shifters are hard as hell to shift in and out of gear. He thought he was going to break it the first time he had to drive one. Any idea why they are so stiff? Is it the same as the civilian tranny with just a different shifter position?

#44 ·
The guys at the car wash here in Austin say that they wash the police chargers and the column shifters are hard as hell to shift in and out of gear. He thought he was going to break it the first time he had to drive one. Any idea why they are so stiff? Is it the same as the civilian tranny with just a different shifter position?
Can't say. I've seen one in person but not tried it.

#46 ·
There are tons of Charger cops around here now, seems like I see 4 or 5 a day. I have seen a Highway Patrol Charger as well with the 20" SRT wheels and Brembo's. It was all white and had the standard bumpers. IDK if it's an SRT, or a 5.7 police package with a few upgrades.

#47 ·
Just saw one in neighboring Clovis CA. None in Fresno yet that I've seen. Was going thru an intersection at a distance and I couldn't count the tailpipes. I'd expect they all have V8's. Clovis PD doesn't mess around.

Someone earlier mentioned using the Police brake system as an upgrade. I researched that a little with Lord Chuckles when he was working for a supporting vendor (a dealer). Some of the parts seemed to be drop-ins but there were signs pointing to package-specific computer stuff hiding inside the whole deal... someone would have to be a pioneer and try it. I went with Wilwoods instead.

I think at this point you could do better with some steel lines from Zeckhausen, some inexpensive 570-degree brake fluid from ToddTCE some performance pads from EBC (Yellow Stuff) to give yourself a cheap but effective brake upgrade.

#52 ·
Just saw one in neighboring Clovis CA. None in Fresno yet that I've seen. Was going thru an intersection at a distance and I couldn't count the tailpipes. I'd expect they all have V8's. Clovis PD doesn't mess around.

Someone earlier mentioned using the Police brake system as an upgrade. I researched that a little with Lord Chuckles when he was working for a supporting vendor (a dealer). Some of the parts seemed to be drop-ins but there were signs pointing to package-specific computer stuff hiding inside the whole deal... someone would have to be a pioneer and try it. I went with Wilwoods instead.

I think at this point you could do better with some steel lines from Zeckhausen, some inexpensive 570-degree brake fluid from ToddTCE some performance pads from EBC (Yellow Stuff) to give yourself a cheap but effective brake upgrade.
Clovis has 2 Chargers- Fresno has 6 with about 15 more on order I'm told. More importantly, Clovis Chargers have the Hemi whereas the Fresno contingent doesn't. CHP is stuck with the Fords 'til '09. BLAH!!! (And ya, it's still safe to walk the streets- and park your car at the mall- in Clovis.:thumbs_u: )

#48 ·
From the Charger Police Vehicle Press Release from DaimlerChrysler

Preliminary Standard Features
Standard features on the 2006 Dodge Charger police vehicle will include the following items of particular importance to law enforcement customers:
  • 100-amp battery power feed in trunk
  • 160-amp high-output alternator
  • 160-mph calibrated speedometer
  • 800CCA heavy-duty battery
  • cloth front bucket seats with manual lumbar and rear fixed bench seat
  • column shifter
  • easy path wiring grommet between underhood and passenger compartment
  • emergency rear-door-lock override
  • external oil coolers
  • four-wheel independent performance suspension
  • heavy-duty brakes and linings
  • integrated engine hour meter
  • P225/60R 18 V-rated all-season performance tires and 18-inch steel wheels
  • performance-tuned steering
  • police equipment interface module
  • police equipment mounting bracket
  • rear door locks and rear window switches inoperable from the rear seats
  • severe-duty cooling system
  • software-controlled alternating head- and taillamps
  • special electrical wiring for police market applications
  • speed control
  • stealth mode switch for interior lighting
Additional standard features and optional equipment are available on the Dodge Charger police vehicle to provide law enforcement customers an affordable vehicle with industry- leading innovations that make upfitting the vehicle faster and safer.

I have a 2005 Magnum SXT. It has the 225/60/18 R/T wheels in a factory upgrade pkg. I wonder if the Charger Cop Steel wheels would fit???

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.