Post Thanks / Like

Gas smell issueu

Of course I typo the title of my first post...haha.

This question concerns a 2016 300S AWD.

I know I'm going to look like an idiot here, but here I go anyway.

I almost ran out of gas recently, and my buddy offered to help with his gas can. So I opened my gas cap for him and let him do his thing while I was working on something else. This is my first 300, and I had no idea at the time that I had to use the special funnel from the trunk area. I realized something was wrong when I started hearing gas splashing on the ground. Turns out my buddy poured about 2-3 gallons of gas in, and none of it went into the gas tank. All of it went down thru the "tamper proof" thing, which (from what I can tell), empties in the inside of the left wheel well (behind a piece of the frame or something), onto the ground.

As you can imagine, my car stinks like gas. Since then, I've cleaned the inside of that wheel well a bunch of times, run hot water with dish soap, etc thru the tamper proof area a bunch of times, let the car air out for a week, etc. The gas smell is pretty much gone when you sniff near the wheel well, but when I park the car in the garage, my garage will smell like gas. It's been almost 3 weeks and I've cleaned everything I can think of.

Does anyone know the path the gas takes when it goes thru that tamper proof thing? Am I pretty much screwed with regard to the smell? I'm at a loss for what else I can do at this point. I definitely won't be lighting a match in my garage..

Thanks.
    Last edited by TXLonghorn; 02-16-2017 at 09:34 PM.

Share This Thread