Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like
    Although not quite as effective as a Type-J or more dedicated thermocouple and a DVM, the IAT PID generated by the PCM (you need a means of observing PIDs through the OBDII diagnostic port) would be a means of observing whether blocking the hole results in a repeatable change in incoming air temperature. I don't think it will. Won't hurt to block it, but you will lose what these aftermarket intakes' only legitimate claim to fame is...intake noise when getting on it.

Another question that few don't realize is whether air is actually being pulled in through the access hole at the bottom of the air box. Way back when I mounted a pressure transducer within the entry area I cut into the lower / forward splash plate. That particular area under the front of the magnum, along with the Charger front spoiler created negative air pressure. Not a whole lot, but enough to reverse the airflow from the leaky AFE 2 (similar to the MOPAR unit shown above) I employed at the time.

I would bet if you spoke to the manufacturer it was found that the hole allowed more sound out. It's well-known most if not all of this style of air filter intake system did nothing to reduce ingested air temperature. In fact, they make it worse when compared to the OEM air boxes...
    Last edited by Hemissary; 02-19-2017 at 02:32 AM.
    2005 Magnum RT---Viper Venom Red----440ci Aluminum block----Short Runner Valve Intake--410mm BAER 6S Monoblock Extreme--Eibach Multi-Pro 2

Custom--Grille Work--Hood--Headlights--Side View Mirrors--Rear Spoiler--Rear Diffuser--SRV Control System--Turbine Wheels

Thanks SCOTT57RT thanked for this post
    Likes A knight, SCOTT57RT liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hemissary View Post
    Although not quite as effective as a Type-J or more dedicated thermocouple and a DVM, the IAT PID generated by the PCM (you need a means of observing PIDs through the OBDII diagnostic port) would be a means of observing whether blocking the hole results in a repeatable change in incoming air temperature. I don't think it will. Won't hurt to block it, but you will lose what these aftermarket intakes' only legitimate claim to fame is...intake noise when getting on it.

Another question that few don't realize is whether air is actually being pulled in through the access hole at the bottom of the air box. Way back when I mounted a pressure transducer within the entry area I cut into the lower / forward splash plate. That particular area under the front of the magnum, along with the Charger front spoiler created negative air pressure. Not a whole lot, but enough to reverse the airflow from the leaky AFE 2 (similar to the MOPAR unit shown above) I employed at the time.

I would bet if you spoke to the manufacturer it was found that the hole allowed more sound out. It's well-known most if not all of this style of air filter intake system did nothing to reduce ingest air temperature. In fact, they make it worse when compared to the OEM air boxes...

Wow awesome explanation

So the negative air pressure at the fender well, that is a bad thing? I was thinking you would want positive air pressure there so air goes up towards the intake.
    2006 300 SRT8- sold 2/20/16

Current: 2013 Challenger SRT8 (dream car!!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Ideally yes. However plus or minus a couple / few of psi, at speed (no less) is not going to change the world from the driver's seat in any way, shape or form.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well.... I guess I will leave it be then. I stumbled on another forum where someone closed the hole off in there Mopar CAI and fabricated a silicon tube through the headlight of his challenger. He said the sound was cut down by at least a 1/3 and the air temps were about the exact same before he closed the box off with the tubing. Said he took it back to the way it was, and was happier with it.
    Rob

Current Ride - 2012 Dodge Charger 392 SuperBee - Yellow
    2014 Dodge Challenger - HederOrange, R/T Blacktop Edition - Sold
    2006 Dodge Charger Daytona 5.7L - Torred - Sold

Mods: Diablosport Intune
    Performance: TBD

Post Thanks / Like
    I think you've come to the right conclusion while employing this particular intake system.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Share This Thread