Manton Pushrods

Post Thanks / Like

DashCommand app as an A/F gauge?

Anyone here use the DashCommand app? A neighbor had given me an OBD2 dongle for free, so I thought why not and bought the DashCommand app. The dongle ended up not working (one of the cheap Elm 327 dongles), and I'm considering buying one of the better $100 dongles, but don't want to do it if it isn't close to reliable as an A/F gauge. Anyone have experience with this? It would be cheaper than buying a real A/F gauge, and I know the app wouldn't be quite as precise, but I'm wondering if it's close enough to make it reasonable to base potential changes to the tune on the info from the app.

I'm posting this in the drag racing section since that's why I'd be using it and am hoping for other drag racers to chime in, my apologies if I should have posted this in the electronics section.

I'm Chris. Most people call me Burton.

Current: '13 Challenger R/T; Auto; Factory Limited Slip; LMI True CAI; Diablosport DCX (tuned by Johan); Flowmaster 40 Series; Hurst Roll Control
    Past: '08 Charger R/T; Auto; LMI True CAI; Diablosport In-Tune (tuned by Johan); Flowmaster 60 Series; SLP Line Lock

Post Thanks / Like
    No, you need to bite the bullet and get a wideband.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by done View Post
    No, you need to bite the bullet and get a wideband.
    Yeah, I sort of expected that as an answer. My only concern with the gauge is that I have 4 years/63,000 miles left on the powertrain warranty and I'm nervous that the gauge will be a dead give-away that I've tuned the car (prompting them to look harder for that, resulting in them voiding the warranty). Maybe I should check with some of the local challenger club people and see if any of them have experience with that at dealerships and warranty issues.

Post Thanks / Like
    x2 on a wide band IF you are going to change any of your OEM tune settings. It's a whole lot cheaper than a new engine!!!!

ALL MOTOR Times:
    5.7L: 11.29 ET, 118.6 MPH, 1.50 60'
    6L: 10.76 ET, 125.6 MPH, 1.47 60
    7L:
    ALL MOTOR - Iron Block Record
    1st NA Iron Block in the 9's

9.32 ET, 147 MPH, 1.32 60'
    Thanks: HRH Performance Engine, Thitek Heads, Paramount Tran
    Tuner: Tommy Presley

Post Thanks / Like
    I know this is an olds thread but incase you are interested in hearing I got the WiFi Dongle and it works without issue with my iPhone. as far as the A/F ratios are concerns I would not use the app to keep an eye on A/F ratios. Can see them real time however the refresh rate is not frequent enough to place bets on whether a tune is OK or not for your engine (Running too rich or lean). I got a Jet Performance Chip stage 2 and I wanted to verify A/F ratios because I never fully understood how it made more HP (Which it did BTW... .15 second improvement taking into account DA). I did some data logging using that app and like I said before the refresh rates are not frequent enough. its only a small number per second (Maybe less than 3-5 per second). but other than that that App is bad @ss for the price
    Likes HeyBurton liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Burnsey View Post
    I know this is an olds thread but incase you are interested in hearing I got the WiFi Dongle and it works without issue with my iPhone. as far as the A/F ratios are concerns I would not use the app to keep an eye on A/F ratios. Can see them real time however the refresh rate is not frequent enough to place bets on whether a tune is OK or not for your engine (Running too rich or lean). I got a Jet Performance Chip stage 2 and I wanted to verify A/F ratios because I never fully understood how it made more HP (Which it did BTW... .15 second improvement taking into account DA). I did some data logging using that app and like I said before the refresh rates are not frequent enough. its only a small number per second (Maybe less than 3-5 per second). but other than that that App is bad @ss for the price
    Thanks Burnsey, that's definitely helpful info.Cheers!